I listen exclusively to video game music because it reminds me of the good moments I spent playing

I listen exclusively to video game music because it reminds me of the good moments I spent playing.

Otherwise I don't get the appeal of music.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sG-Ugvy3GoA
youtube.com/watch?v=l7nVJbI9bhU
youtube.com/watch?v=PvdrwRs27hE
youtube.com/watch?v=2dZbAFmnRVA
youtube.com/watch?v=kPbbfmILrQo
youtube.com/watch?v=zwHZwvTdnPI
youtube.com/watch?v=Oza1PMECcXs
youtube.com/watch?v=orS0U7XjUvs
youtube.com/watch?v=Klddb5e70-c
youtube.com/watch?v=kIUPHL-BMZU
youtube.com/watch?v=5n7qfRNzS3s
youtube.com/watch?v=nhcuJOt9jJE
youtube.com/watch?v=5YKmb7_y3E8
youtube.com/watch?v=tnkBhv5WsRw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

vidya music is good as hell

youtube.com/watch?v=sG-Ugvy3GoA

people who don't like music are autistic

This.

>I don't get the appeal of music
Then why even come here?

thanks but Federa tippers tend to be massive melomaniacs.

To seek enlightenment

youtube.com/watch?v=l7nVJbI9bhU
bum bum bum.....

What non-vidya music have you listened to?

I've been exposed to all forms of music since the day I was born which goes back to the year the wall fell.

I don't...

>I'll be more appreciated on Sup Forums

you've never put effort into discovering music

I've actually put a lot of time into it along the years. From the days bought a CD player in the early 2000s and spent an ugodly amount of pocket money to buy a few CDs of what everyone was listening to, to just a few weeks ago when I was trying to develop a taste for King Crimson for hours on end.

Rock hurts my ears, classical music is boring at best, a bombastic nuisance at worst. Jazz is good for ambient sounds when you host a dinner but not much else.
More modern styles I don't even want to get into it. Pop is putrid, emotionally manipulative deviancy, electronic is worst than rock...

I just don't get music. If there's something in the concept itself to appreciate I don't know what it is or where to find it.

How do you judge good or bad music? What's the point of music? How does it speak to you?

Cringe

ah it's useless. No one understands.

Just admit you can't answer the 3 last questions.

>Otherwise I don't get the appeal of music.
do you happen to be autistic?

you'll grow up soon buddy

it'll go faster if you stay off of Sup Forums though

>classical music is boring at best, a bombastic nuisance at worst.
When you read a book, do you only gain pleasure from the story or do you also read into subtext and look for themes, structures, metaphors, etc? Music is the exact same as books or paintings or films, but you just haven't developed the analytical ear. It's like looking at a Renaissance painting once over and going "I don't get it, it's just people in a house. 2/5" No, it's not bad, you just haven't figured out how to appreciate it.

Whatever. No one seems interested (or can) answer my interrogations. You've probably never seen an actual autist in a mental ward. If being an asshole on an anonymous image board is what keeps you from hanging at the end of a rope more power to you.

The most aberrant part is that this kind of post comes from people barely above 18, if at all who spend their time online trying to belittle other people's opinions to make for for whatever's not right at school.
And all the more ironic that you ask me to go on the video game board while posting this

>How do you judge good or bad music?
It's subjective. What's "Good" or "Bad" music is different for everyone.
>What's the point of music?
That's a really dumb fucking question tbqh. If you cut it all down to brass tacks nothing really fucking matters, especially your dumb vidya. I'll answer it anyways though. It's a form of expression, similar to paintings, books, poems, etc.
>How does it speak to you?
Depends. Some instrumentations sound so gorgeous they can bring you to tears by themselves. Sometimes it's the lyrics. Sometimes it's both.

Music is a special thing. For 40-50 minutes (Average length of an album if you didn't know ) you can either be transported to a whole other world, or be forced to deal with your own world and your own emotions. You can connect to the artists with the meaning and expression behind the music.

>I don't get the appeal of music
i gochu senpai. Listen to this and you'll understand everything will be illuminated
youtube.com/watch?v=PvdrwRs27hE

Here's my reply to you

There's a lot to be said about that statement but people in a house is something tangible. Even as a kid I remember appreciating landscapes simply because they appeal to a primal side of humans aesthetics before carrying any sorts of other meanings (Instinctive appreciation of nature, lightning, colors...).

I'm not even at that stage for music. Drums or heavily rythmed music I get in the context of dancing, another thing that you feel from the belly, but that's about it.

you're skipping a pretty major step here which is the connection between music and the effects it has on you that you mention.

Lyrics don't count here, obviously I understand the appeal of prose/poetry...

Dude, I don't know how else to explain it. Music makes me and a lot of other people feel things. What you're asking for is almost impossible to explain. I don't know how to explain why beautiful pieces of music can make me happy or make me cry. They just do. Literally google "why does music make people feel things" you'll get a ton of speculation but when it all comes down to it, it's a feeling you get. And if you don't get it, you don't get it.

Ah I see. I think you're having a hard time getting over the abstraction. You likely need something stable to ground yourself in. How do you feel about music that tell a story, either through lyrics or motivic development?

Unrelated, I can't guarantee the effectiveness for someone who doesn't listen to music, but if you want something purely primal that's 100% groove, there's this:
youtube.com/watch?v=2dZbAFmnRVA

btw Skyrim fucking sucks.

>why does music make people feel things
I did but I wasn't satisfied with the answers. It's too self indulgent. On Sup Forums I can insist, provoke, bait, ridicule until I get to the bottom of something.

Ye Oblivion was much better

I'm listening to it but there's only so far you should be able to go with dancing music unless you're dealing with real pros. Outside of the rythm itself there to give a structure to your body movements I don't get the extra fluff.

>How do you feel about music that tell a story
I don't get how it would work either. Outside of the lyrics themselves.

If you want to get autistic about it, the appeal of music is its symmetry and consonance. It appeals to our brain's propensity for pattern recognition. If you want to look into the math of it all see the Harmonic series/overtone series.

A simple example is the verse chorus form song structure. Through it we can create tension and release from said tension; It's like a story conflict, climax, resolution only through the medium of sound. Listen to the Beatles for entry-level shit. You simply can't go wrong with the beatles.

If you eventually come around, Sup Forums will be here for you to shitpost about NMH, deathgrips, kanye west, drake etc

>I did but I wasn't satisfied with the answers. It's too self indulgent.
You ever think that maybe it's because there's no "one" answer? Humans are fucking weird, who the hell knows why we experience emotion when we hear certain sounds in a certain formation.

you're a music theory retard. dissonance and asymmetry in music is appealing for many people as well. there goes your theory

Instead of walls of text explaining all you fags had to do was post this song

youtube.com/watch?v=kPbbfmILrQo

if he doesn't get the appeal, then's he's just retarded

Can IS made up of real pros (except for the singer which is quite literally a Japanese hobo). It's a deconstruction of dancing music, that strips everything to a bare groove, probably meaningless lyrics, and "extra stuff" that builds up and dies down in intensity to keep things interesting for 18 minutes. Like I said, I couldn't guarantee the effectiveness, but Hallaluwah is a song that I can dance to forever.

>I don't get how it would work either.
I'll respond to this in a second post. It was a very contentious argument in the 19th century, but hopefully I can illuminate the possibility, given a written program and a bit of imagination. You can think of it as no different than video game music that tries to reflect the feeling of a level in the game.

but doesn't that apply only to classic or jazz?

> Through it we can create tension and release from said tension; It's like a story conflict, climax, resolution only through the medium of sound.
That's the part I don't really get. You mean there's a bunch of specific patterns being played at the same time, but then somehow it creates a tension while we wait for another specific type of pattern like we would wait for the bad guy to pop out from around the corner in a movie?

>implying theory doesn't account for dissonance and assymetry
read a book

youtube.com/watch?v=zwHZwvTdnPI
The Mother series has the best videogame OST.

>dissonance and asymmetry in music is appealing for many people as well
no it isn't. the closest thing we have to to people like atonal music is atonal jazz, and even then people have reservations and reluctance. As for noise, no one actually likes that they're just pretentious assholes jerking each other off. Dissonance is used in music as a form of tension, and that is its only valid use.

thanks I'm awaiting the second post.

>You can think of it as no different than video game music that tries to reflect the feeling of a level in the game.
I don't really get it either when it does it. Well basic stuff at best, like the idea that the sounds accelerate if it's a tough part which you interpret at sensory overload but that's about it.

theory accounts for it by saying people don't like it or that its wrong, which isn't what I said
>nobody likes it!!!
>ummm well excelt for people who like noise, but they are just pretending!!!
must suck to be retarded

>it creates a tension while we wait for another specific type of pattern like we would wait for the bad guy to pop out from around the corner in a movie?
Yes. Our brain is adept at subconsciously calculating symmetric ratios in sound frequencies. It is not like this for light waves, though, oddly enough. music is subjective yes, and retards like will claim that noise is music too, but just about the only quantifiable thing in music is how the vast majority of people prefer symmetric music with a nice resolution and through it people are able to express abstract emotions and views on the world... It somehow translates. It's basically like using colors to paint a picture, instead of paint they may use a dark set of harmonic tones to contrast with the expected harmonious set of tones(they're called chords but that's neither here nor there.) You can here this best in classical music and jazz. Modern music introduces lyrics which is basically poetry which again people enjoy when used in a rhythmic musical fashion for the same reasons. I always have to argue that this the reason I don't feel contemporary hiphop needs to have profound lyrical content, because the delivery is just as important.

Music sounds good to my ears. It's that simple my dude.

>On Sup Forums I can insist, provoke, bait, ridicule until I get to the bottom of something.

Yep, you're definitely autistic

holy shit

He literally contradicted the second part of his post by saying he's fond of video game music fo its sentimental value. He's stupid not autistic.

you're retarded

Trying a bit too hard here, reddit.

True, I guess me calling him autistic was a little too nice.

>a dark set of harmonic tones
What makes a tone 'dark'

>It somehow translates
I almost get it but a step is missing. Like the theory of evolution.

google says music is one of the things autistic people most enjoy and relate to

Hyper socials actually don't listen to music.

NIGGA REALLY QUESTIONING EVOLUTION

The piece that I'm thinking of is Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique. Briefly, the story is
>sad artist sees a girl and immediately falls in love and doesn't stop thinking of her (Movement 1)
>artist goes to a ball and sees the girl (Movement 2)
>artist tries to escape to the pastoral and realizes the girl doesn't like him (Movement 3)
>artist takes some opium and has some really trippy dreams, including seeing himself at his own execution (Movement 4)
>...and going to hell and being ripped apart by witches and demons (Movement 5)
Now how does he tell this story without any words? Berlioz gives "the idea of the girl" a melody.
And it goes like this (skip to 5:34)
youtube.com/watch?v=Oza1PMECcXs
The melody itself has very wistful quality. Hear how it continuously rises and falls, each time getting higher and more frantic, accompaniment in the cellos increasing in volume, starting at 5:47 before slowing down. Leonard Bernstein in a lecture about this piece says that the melody is a perfect replication of developing a crush and he is absolutely right. It's longing, frequently gets caught up in the whirlwind of emotions, and to boot, the initial timbre of flute doubling violin in the same octave gives the melody an airy quality that's more ghostly than either solo flute or violin section.
Same link but 12:25. The same melody is repeated again but the rhythms and accompaniment are totally fucked. Everything is syncopated (not on the beat) and the violins barely play the melody, flying through a bazillion different notes and not even the bass is particularly present to ground the cacophony in reality. It's stunning in my opinion, the artist has totally lost himself in daydreams of this girl, but he soon regains composure and the movement ends in bittersweet quietness.

more in a later post, or if you want me to shut up now I can

>I almost get it but a step is missing. Like the theory of evolution.

I understand what you're saying. That sounds like a lot of effort to tell a simple story though. Something a simple paragraph of literature could describe in it's entirety.

yeah sure but the idea isn't to tell the story as succinctly as possible, it's to tell it in a creative matter that can emotionally affect the listener. the value in music doesn't lie inherently within the story, but the sonic aesthetic itself; if u cant appreciate that then i really don't know what to tell you man, i guess you're not the right audience for music

personally id love for u to go on this is fantastic

Skipping to movement 3, not because I hate movement 2 (I think it's lovely) but because it's relatively straight forward.
>waltz rhythm, beautiful flowing melody, theme of the girl reappears

youtube.com/watch?v=orS0U7XjUvs
The movement, though long and sparse and boring if you just want to get to the fun filled opium dreams, is actually the thematic turn of the narrative and does a really good job of it, despite being long and sparse and boring. The sparseness, you guessed it, represents the quietness of nature. The main theme of the movement (not the theme of the girl, though it does reappear) starts off with just violin section (+flute I think) with virtually no accompaniment (1:49) and is simply a freeflowing melody.
Just before the melody appears is a duet for english horn (the low duck sound) and oboe (high duck sound), mimicking two shepherds calling out for each other. This has symbolic weight, representing the concept of reaching out and interacting with another human being for love. This duet is recapitulated at the end (13:05) except the oboe is replaced with the thunderous sound of timpani. Here, the artist finally realizes it's unrequited as the idyllic atmosphere is transformed into the ominous sound of a storm.
You're right, but it would take a helluva lot of writing creativity to really get the listener to FEEL the sparseness of this movement. Music is significantly much more abstract than literature, and it would take writers until the turn of the 20th century to develop techniques to reach the level of abstraction required to deliver powerful emotions (through purely words and their connotative meanings) that music has inherently. Music has the advantage of being felt as the sound waves enter your ear and resonate with your body. It's partially primal and that primality allows one to develop an emotional reaction to it with ease.

on it

>autist in a mental ward

>What makes a tone 'dark'
Not tone, "toneS" -- describing the quality of a lone tone would get into timbre, and that's a whole other can of worms; why does a violin sound more pleasing than an airplane taking off? Both sounds could be tuned, maybe it has to do with pleasing patterns and ratios again, like music, but in a more macro level? I dunno. In music, though, we deal with tones and how they relate to each other. That is organized sound. It's subjective and some of it has to do with what our western ear is use to, but it has to do with ratios. a ratio is called "perfect" when it's symmetric to a fundamental frequency, like the perfect fifth which is a ratio of 3:2(1.5) or the perfect octave which is 2:1(a multiple of the fundamental), compare this to what is considered the most dissonant the tritone which has a ratio of the square root of 2.

The reason that we as human beings like music is, at the most basic level, because of psychoacoustic phenomena that make us feel satisfied when we hear the tension and resolution of chords and stuff. We all feel these phenomena. So the fat the you "don't like any music" leads me to believe you aren't really listening when you hear music.

>emotionally manipulative
If you don't want your emotions manipulated, then you wouldn't want to listen to any music. But you did say you listen to video game soundtracks, and those are definitely designed to make you feel certain emotions. What classical music have you tried listening too?

if you want to listen to some music that deals with perfect intervals exclusively and is a more primitive precursor to what our western ears like listen to Gregorian chant. They do not stray from those godly perfect intervals

youtube.com/watch?v=Klddb5e70-c

>theory accounts for it by saying people don't like it or that its wrong
You should probably learn what music theory is before you try to criticize it. Music theory doesn't dictate what's good or bad, it only describes music, whether it be functionally harmonic or atonal dissonant stuff.

Not liking music is a symptom of autism. I have real autism so I know(I do like music though)

>tsshhh...kid

Oh boy

youtube.com/watch?v=kIUPHL-BMZU
Movement 4, I'll try to keep this short. I really only have two talking points.
The first one is at 1:39 where the brass comes in blaring. Trombones blast obscene pedal tones in the lowest register (I had to search for a version where this was prominent in the recording). This is one of the earliest instances that I know of where the orchestra is supposed to play something that sounds disgusting (for reasons other than a joke) because that's kind of how Berlioz is representing the scene. The crowd is cheering at the artist's execution and it's supposed to be deafeningly loud and morally depraved.
The other is at 6:10 where the theme of the girl returns (artist sees the girl in the crowd) and gets cut off by a loud slam from the orchestra then a plonk plonk as his head gets cut off and rolls on the ground. Ironic triumph as loud major chords finish the movement.

The final movement is next and its a fun one

Thanks for all this information anons. I feel like there's a whole world to explore there but it's probably not for me if I couldn't get it on my own.

haha look at these monkeys put meaningless value on vibrating air. What a pathetic way to perceive reality. You should all just kys.

t. transcendent being

its pretty obvious OP is on the spectrum just based on how he writes

nice bait, but if you don't feel those psychoacoustic phenomena, then you are likely mentally impaired and should see a psychiatrist asap

I listened to what most people go through in their lives on the radio, in class and so on I guess.

>But you did say you listen to video game soundtracks
Only because when I'm working, I just really feel like playing instead.

>If you don't want your emotions manipulated
Modern music is tailor fitted to appeal to the lowest of the lowest within us. Which is what makes it so addictive to most weak minded people. I can't say I sense it that well on my own but I see what it does to other people and I've heard this accusation enough time to confirm that there's something rotten at work.

I'm not completely deaf to music. I can feel some of what's been described in this post and the others but probably not to the same extent and up until now I couldn't really put it into words. Now I'm starting to get it.
If a piece tries to forcibly break into the psyche and manipulate our mood I don't want to hear it though.

>Modern music is tailor fitted to appeal to the lowest of the lowest within us.
Not true at all, unless you're talking specifically about Top 40 stuff (and that's like a fraction of a percent of the entire modern music scene). And even then, some genuinely good stuff will make it's way to the Billboard charts somehow (Kimbra, Gotye).

>If a piece tries to forcibly break into the psyche and manipulate our mood
That's literally every form of art and entertainment you complete and utter deluded faggot. To move someone emotionally, to tantalize,excite the sense, intellectually stimulate is the whole fucking point. You do realize you live with other human beings and sometimes you want to communicate a message, right? Making a case with pathos through art is "manipulation" in the most autistic stupid of interpretations.

The dude probably doesn't have feelings. Hes like a roboman with no passion. Just be gald you're not him.

youtube.com/watch?v=5n7qfRNzS3s
This movement is purely sonic atmosphere and it's fascinating to see the range of sounds you can imitate, imagine, and express with a bunch of musical instruments.
First off, you're greeted with tremolos in the upper strings that are two diminished chords stacked up on each other. Diminished chords have the special property of having a tritone (obligatory " diabolus in musica" name drop) but all you need to know if you don't know is that is dim. chords are mega dissonant and feel like they need to resolve. You'll hear witches cackle and demon laughs as these upper strings descend chromatically then the brass follow suit with punctuated chords. The same material is repeated a semitone higher which also adds to the effect of "I am lost" as you can't really find harmonic ground.
Then at 1:30 you hear the theme of the girl again on clarinet except clearly distorted by the extreme amount of trills as the artist sees the girl as one of the witches. The theme returns at 1:50 except played by the shriller Eb clarinet accompanied by oboes. It's pure mockery at this point.
The section starting at 3:00 is where the mockery gets cranked up to 11. Bells toll for the artist and at 3:30 the "Dies irae" melody (requiem mass theme) plays by low instruments. Like the 4th movement, the goal here is to make it as blatty, pretentious, and hamfisted as possible.
The tempo picks up again and the movement turns into a dancelike fugue as the witches start to send him to double hell.
A highlight is at 9:17 where the violins turn their bows upside down so the wood hits the bow, mimicking the sound of skeletons clacking their bones and immediately after the woodwinds play a sequence where every note in the chromatic scale is played. The symphony ends, as expected in triumphant mockery as the artist is reduced to shrieks of the piccolo barely heard over the orgiastic brass.

In conclusion, I love this symphony more than I remember.

>Modern music is tailor fitted to appeal to the lowest of the lowest within us
I suppose that, lyrically, some chart toppers, as well as some rock and some hip hop might be unvirtuous or something, but musically, most of the stuff that plays on the radio is pretty much identical, using the same chord progression or some close variation of it. And that's why everybody likes it. It's a formula that works to satisfy that need for the resolution of tension in the simplest way. Of course once you go down the rabbit hole, you'll find music that makes you feel emotions much more complex that "satisfied", like those simple songs will make you feel.

I suppose if you don't want to be emotionally manipulated or whatever, you could listen to a piece that you know projects on you an emotion that you're already feeling. It's just usually the other way around.

Like if you we're feeling a bit melancholy, you could listen to this (at least that's how it feels to me)
youtube.com/watch?v=nhcuJOt9jJE

If you're feeling sort of upbeat or full of energy, you could listen to this
youtube.com/watch?v=5YKmb7_y3E8

If your feeling sort of playful or something, you could listen to this
youtube.com/watch?v=tnkBhv5WsRw

You get what I'm saying. It's just that generally the thing that you're listening to makes you feel a certain way, rather than you feeling a certain way dictating what you listen to.

I spent the entire time I was playing Skyrim listen to Black and Viking Metal, it suits it perfectly.

I cannot believe you guys are this easy to bait

i think you might actually have autism user, you ever get looked at for it?

Try Pet Sounds or The Soft Bulletin. they're easy on the ears and aren't braindead like the pop that you're referring to. they also don't waste your time with long stretches of drones with nothing going on, every song is as long as it needs to be to get the point across. The tracks are layered so there multiple different things to key in on while listening. If you don't feel anything from either of them, you might be shit outta luck.

OP try lil pump, 21 savage, xxxtemtacion they're the modern equivalent of the great composers of the classical era

Why do lyrics not count? Do you honestly believe not a single artist meant what they were saying?

OP are you the autist that worked out in my weight training class to skyrim music like a year ago?

A lot of people in this thread are giving very good replies but I dont think that any of them will help you. You have built a sensibility wall that makes you unable to get emotionally invested in things like music, I was like that. I only appreciated some form of really technical music, mostly as a display of skill an, as you said, vidya games because I was already invested emotionally in video games.

What helped me a ton was getting to terms that my appreciation for life is way more important to me than whether something could be appreciated in an objective perspective or not. I thought that being calm and analytic was the only thing that gave me a sense of happiness because without it i felt lost. However letting things get to you is how you actually gain happiness.
The thing that helped me the most though was taking lsd/m while listening to music. Lsd opens any emotional barriers straight up, no questions asked. Unless you are autistic.