Literally Stockhausen of our generation

Literally Stockhausen of our generation.

Other urls found in this thread:

stockhausenspace.blogspot.rs/2015/11/kontakte-planning-design.html?m=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kontakte
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Except his music was academic, grounbreaking and actually experimental.

*the pop version

autechre is pop crap compared to stockhausen

no autechre aren't pretentious and they don't make shit music

Autechre literally invented a genre.

these

but also this

rec me some Stockhausen, literally never heard anything by him
I like the lads obv., even seen em live which was amazing

Jesus fucking christ the state of this board...

Well, they were not as experimental as Stockhausen, but compared to other electronic artists of their era? Sure.

Who cares? Inventing a genre is not a big deal. And no, they didn't, unless that genre is called Autechre.

>Who cares? Inventing a genre is not a big deal.
Lmao. What?

kontakte and hymnen

gesang der junglinge is memed a lot but it's not that interesting

lls I'll bite, what genre?

Well, first of all, almost never has a genre been invented by a single artist, and second, making a genre can be so niche it's not relevant at all.

From what I remember Gesang was more interesting than the other two. The electronic voice stuff of whatever it was seemed like a far bigger leap to me.

thanks user
not everything that's unique is good
ae is good and pretty unique tho
>inb4 Pan-sonic
>inb4 Arca

IDM and Glitch Hop.

it was a bigger leap but as an actual composition it's not as interesting in this day and age imho

dis is bait

bait

>not everything that's unique is good
But that's wrong. Even then, making a genre doesn't make you unique (or not necessarily particularly so).

Fuck off.

Fair enough I guess. I couldn't enjoy any of the stuff by him. Then again, I haven't listened to him since one or two years ago.

meme thread

I didn't do anything. Sorry.

>yeah i listen to electronic music
>Autechre, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Daft Punk, Squarepusher, Jon Hopkins, Burial, the list could go on...

>yeah i listen to classical music
>mozart, bach, STOCKHAUSEN, CAGE, erik satie, beethoven, the list could go on...

And yet these people have a hard time understanding why no-one take them seriously

I don't see the problem, these are all good artists (well except for Cage and Daft Punk). You don't need to have niche tastes to enjoy music.

who the fuck are you talking to

You don't see the problem because your knowledge about both genres is about as generic and void as can be.

having listened to both, i'd easily call autechre as the better one.

>of our generation

autechre is a 90s duo, listerally two generations ago.

ae easily better

The problem is not that those are not good artists, the problem is that Sup Forums only appears to be aware of those artists for both genres. In other words, your taste doesn't go beyond surface level.

pretty sure 20 years is one generation
maybe not in your family, idk

Can you explain to us what makes a piece of music good and then elaborate on why those artist are bad?

This is why ''elitism'' and ''patrician'' failed here because people latch onto a half dozen artists in every genre because of these labels and no one explores further.

Can you not fucking read what he said you retarded cunting imbecile.

What's the point of arguing with you people...

Get a life....

Why is Sup Forums's reading comprehension so bad?

I would argue it's because people don't care about being patrician and elitism that they only listen to such a narrow spectrum of music.

Get rekt lol

can you read?

Sure, but that's not a problem per se.
I know more obscure electronic artists but like you say there's not much point in discussing them here if noone knows them. Same thing goes with a lot of genres.

>your taste doesn't go beyond surface level.

explain why this is wrong, idiot.

>I know more obscure electronic artists but like you say there's not much point in discussing them here if noone knows them.
not even that majority of Sup Forums would refuse to even bother checking them out.
i literally have to insult these entry lvl artist to bait ppl into checking out other things.

if you're a casual listener nothing. but if you consider music a serious hobby everything.

>not everything that's unique is good
>ae is good and pretty unique tho
>inb4 Pan-sonic
>inb4 Arca
You seem to overlook or ignore the intentions of musicians. If Stockhausen did what artists like Autechre did, he would've started with schlagers and moved on to progressive pop.

>explain why this is wrong, idiot.

Not him, but the reason this is bad it's because it stalls discussion, people to keep talking about the same artists over and over again ad nauseam.

Could try making a roll chart and some people try like but I still think is true, people are more concerned that something is ''patrician'' than trying new things. You might listen to something and be called ''reddlt'' or a ''nu-male'' or a ''normie'' ZOMG

Kontakte. It has a 700 page long score to begin with. Sirius too.
stockhausenspace.blogspot.rs/2015/11/kontakte-planning-design.html?m=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kontakte
Read these first. If this doesn't intrigue you, nothing will.

I remember there was a Stockhausen documentary, but can't look it up now. Maybe you could try searching for it

(You)74343632
You literally don't know music thoery.
Fuck off and stop pretending to be smart.

Wow, why is Sup Forums so aggressively pleb? I guess it's true that the stupidest people are always the loudest.

Irrelevant

If you are egoistic and don't value music discovery? Nothing.
If you care about music discovery and an elevated board quality? Everything.

>thinks arguing about music without knowing what he's talking about is irrelevant

Another user here, currently listening to Kontakte and it's fantastic. Thanks for the recc.

Fuck off.

Xenakis and Parmegiani are way better than Stockhausen, especially on the creative/artistic side. They're also the actual influences Autechre have took mostly.

The negative aspect of Stockhausen is indeed the fact that he was too academic, he was so influenced by the Darmstadt serialism thought that at some point of he totally thrown out the possibility to make his music actually musical. Stockhausen music is exhaustive and mostly lack of that "musikalisch", which he sacrified for the sake of pure mathematical intellect. Experimental and groundbreaking for sure, but exhaustive and aesthetically incomprehensible at some point. Also that's why he still considered a freak for a part of the music criticism of today.

Autechre have in some way took these elements and criteria and reorganized in a more equilibrated and melodical way, with a research for structure, form and and that significant musikalisch which is always present in their music.

>comparing classical to popular music

Sorry I like you didn't mean to tell you to fuck off?

poor man's pan sonic

in this instance, popular music is better.

>in this instance, popular music is better.
are you qualified enough to pass on judgement on stockhausen? be sincere

as a person who knows joy and pleasure in music, yes

I wouldn't call Stockhausen anything special. Autechre are out of this world though.

lol

why are you laughing?

you don't need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

lol
yeah, stick to your autechre

>as a person who knows joy and pleasure in music, yes
Do you honestly believe that's enough? Why do musicologists and academics exist if just about anyone with an opinion is just as qualified?

Great thread, lads.

Let's talk about which is Autechre's worst release.
In my opinion it is Quaristice.

the goal of art shouldn't be to impress musicologists and academics.

I don't think I have the authority to call any of their genius work bad, so I'll just say I didn't really like Cavity Job.

Not what I meant or was implying, but you're being deliberately dense and avoiding answering anything tangible.

They're all equally bad

I just feel that these tangible, technical things are only validated up to the point that they deliver a clear, lucid emotional message.

>Literally Stockhausen of our generation.
>a bunch of post-african repetitions and babby's first modulations

I didn't say it was bad, I said it was the weakest of all their work. I personally don't like it because it seems very scattered and doesn't have a consistent mood or theme as their other releases do. Also, a lot of the tracks are repetitive and don't really push the envelope in terms of sound design in the way their other albums do.

>Gesang more interesting than Kontakte
Getting real sick of your Scaruffi droning, Autist Math.
Xenakis and Parmegiani's works are very primitive compared to Stockhausen's most ambitious stuff. Just because some music can initially feel exhausting doesn't make them devoid of feeling. Metal's a more common genre that feels that way in its more extreme forms, too. Just because something's different doesn't mean it's bad. For example if one pays attention there's a musical build happening in Kontakte for the first almost third of it I think.

>Scaruffi droning
lol, I had no idea that was his favorite Stockhausen

>Autist Math
fucking give it up baldfire

Imagine being so insecure about your own opinion

you don't need any qualification to pass judgement on anything. you do that almost automatically in fact. in most cases a scientific approach isn't the only valid one. there's a guy with a different idea about the value of music and that offends you

>almost never has a genre been invented by a single artist
Motörhead

i wouldn't call xenakis primitive

>I'm very proud of my uninformed perspectives

I really want to hear your take on Max and SuperCollider programming, you're so cool woah.

>people who can't even make a Max patch or write an algorithm think are more intelligent and creative than Autechre

You're really outpassing yourself Sup Forums.

>people who don't know the first thing about music theory or music history think they are able to gauge the worth of a Stockhausen piece

You're really outpassing yourself Sup Forums.

You cannot enjoy them, but If not Autechre, who is the most relevant, prolific and visionary electronic act of today? I truly make hard time thinking of one.

daniel "chuck" lopatin

whos stockhausen?

sensible people judge art according to their own values rather than those of obsessive academia. claiming otherwise would be to say that average people don't have any aesthetic sense of what is good or bad, which is wrong.

>I'm very proud of my uninformed perspectives

>obsessive academia
Wouldn't you happen to believe that climate change and "cultural marxism" are part of an academia conspiracy as well?

I know nothing of light or colour composition but I can still aesthetically judge a painting and believe it is valid.
who said anything about a conspiracy?

idk, William Fields? I remember he made combined improvisation with computer algorithms generating music or something like that. He hasn't made anything worthwhile other than that though.
I guess the PC Music guys are kind of cool, particularly A. G. Cook.
Like said, it's probably Lopatin.

Their only good album is incunabula

>Xenakis and Parmegiani's works are very primitive compared to Stockhausen's most ambitious stuff
How so?

aphex was better, but sure

you can say that about any artist period?
i can't write a pop tune like max martin. nobody on this earth can.
not even autechre

>i have autism and a superiority complex
at least avant is tongue in cheek about it

could you stop being insecure on the internet. just because criticism lands your way doesn't mean you to accuse said party of superiority.