Any Sup Forumsiggas here into cycling?

Any Sup Forumsiggas here into cycling?
Why do almost all casuals buy mountain bikes when they never go off-road?

I'm thinking about buying a proper road bike.
Does anyone here have any experience with cycling or road bikes?
Are road bikes worth it for casuals and noobies?

Don't bother, all cyclists become cunts the second they put the full gear on, don't be a cunt, be a respectable human being.

> bicycle messenger reporting in,

ask me anything!

What do you mean?

Btw, I don't plan to put full hear on. At least not for now.
I'll just ride my bike in regupar clothes.

"I'll ride my bike in regular clothes."

Regular detected. You can't ride a road bike properly in your standard clothes you wear when you go oiut of a house. There is a reason people wear that shit...

Raced MTB for 22 years, Road for 12, & Track for 5.

Sold my road & track kit off long ago. All I've kept are my beloved MTBs. bc they are not fast on the road, and neither am I, fast, nor on the road. They are way more fun to hobknob & fuck around on. When I get a chance to ride, it's fukken playtime. Plus hippie, so, I do it innawoods.

Roads are full of idiots, assholes, and psychos.

I'll ease into it.
I'll just get a bike and I'll learn first hand that I need those clothes or whatever...
Yeah, but the thing is that area where I live has lots of old roads and roads with little traffic.
I just don't have many options to use a mtb to it's real potential.

Question: what are the flattest countries to ride across?

I've had a disability all my life; recently I found a way to improve it and thus my quality of life. I can exercise somewhat now and would love to cycle across a country.

However there is a limit - I still can't do anything intense. Cycling uphill would be too intense. And Britain and much of Europe is very hilly and so impossible for me. I basically need an easy mode, flat country.

No. Seriously. Trust me, wearing the right clothes is a big part of having fun on a road bike. You actually need the gear...

What you need:

> shoes and pedals of your choice, don't ride platform pedals as you can not "pull" which is essential. Riding with a system pedal is weird at first, but you get used to it very quickly.

> helmet
> pants and jerseys of better quality (not necessarily expensive, just good stuff, if you are american, don't buy that shit at Wal Mart, watch out for stuff made by Nalini for example. Also, keep in mind, these clothes are noth made for fat Americans but Italians. If you wear XL in the US, you want to buy XXXL.
Good pants are a must or your ass will be sore after only a few km/miles.

> buy a decent pump, you can destroy your wheels if they are not properly inflated
> buy a decent hand pump
> tools, tubes, good grease, etc

A road bike is fun, but a little more work than a mtb.

that's silver/gold. not ruby

looks more like red/blue/yellow to me

Dude, I'll just get a bike, the right pedals and shoes the first day.

I'll buy the other stuff later.
The first couple of weeks I'll just be testing shit out and getting used to it.
Also, I won't be taking any very long rides in the beginning.
I told you, I'll ease into it.

Pic related.

Raced cat2 for many years. Mostly in the masters races but several in Pro-Am races as well.

You don't need a top of the line bike. Get a mid level bike to see if it's really something you want to do. It can be an expensive and grueling sport.

The best thing to do is go somewhere they know about a proper fitting to the bike. They come in many sizes and your fit can be from casual to more a sporting setup.

Clothes are a must. To keep you cool and dry. Helmet is the law in most places. Shoes are damned expensive. You'll eventually want clip in style shoes and cleats. It'll take practice but will transform your riding style tremendously - in a good way.

Get a small tool set for rides. A small hand pump as well. Tire lever. Tubes. Patch kit.

Read the rules of the road.

Well, make sure you don't wear clothes that are lose or you end up in a ditch. I've seen people whos clothes got stuck in between the chain and fron derailleur... not nice. You can break the bike and yourself. :D

Get a pump man...

this

I ride my hybrid bike with no faggot "pro" clothing and doing just fine.
Longest rides I've done in 1 day are 150km twice. 70-90k daily rides at least 10 times, gonna do a 115km this weekend.

My bike cost $450CAD in 2009, I only got special underwear to minimize chaffing.

If you're new to that style, look at getting and endurance geometry, higher stack makes for comfort to new riders

Come to the Canadian praries

>You don't need a top of the line bike.
I wasn't thinking about that.
I'm planing to get a road bike on the lower end of the price spectrum.
I was just saying that I want a real road bike, not some hybrid or something.

I'll probably get this one.

I'm confused by the standover height on road bikes, I want to buy one soon. I don't want to be cramped but I don't want to smash my balls if I stop quick when I ride in the city, when I try them in shops the top tube is tickling my clangers when the dudes say it's my size.

God damn
Those digits

... also about a proper fit.

You will have a very authentic pedal stroke. One that the "wrench" will see and determine the right setup.

This is vital because you will fuck up your knees if the seat is too high or low. There are ways to determine. Tight hamstrings means a seat is too high. Pressure on top of the knee - seat too low.

Then your back, shoulders, elbows, neck will all start to feel it.

With a proper fitting the bike seat - although vital - doesn't play much of a role in your discomfort. Most of my races were between 60 and 100+ miles on a full carbon seat. No issues.

So get a bike fit!!!!

the disc brakes worry me, I don't want a bike that I can't do work on myself, I've never done shit with a disc brake.

Mountain bike has speed shifters and brakes. Road bike has nothing, there is even no fucking v-brakes.

how much clearance do you have over the top tube dude? I know it's not traditionally an important measurement but it matters to my ballsack paranoia

Yes get a real one. Don't worry about the weight either. Get used to the style and effort. Practice good pedal strokes and how to corner and balance properly.

Eventually you can trade out parts for better and lighter stuff.

I used a 22 pound cannondale as my first bike. Did club rides on it until I was keeping up and eventually dropping people on climbs.

Then got a full carbon Fuji that weighted 15 pounds total. Fuck it was so nice.

Just get a specialized 29er with front suspension and disc brakes. You can disable the front suspension for riding on streets and it works fine of streets. If you get the urge to hit single track then you have that option too. Fuck a limited use faggy looking speed bike right in its bike butthole.

laaaaame as fuck
It's harder, but not that hard

Are clip-in pedals a must in the beginning?

Dude there's nothing to it. Watch one YouTube vid on it and you're golden. Now Hydraulic brakes might be different, don't know shiz bout them.

People want to make specifics on the top tube clearance - to the taint.

I'm 6' and rode a 54 size. I had plenty of space

I meant hydraulic fam, rather than mechanical

no, but a better option as you can also pull the pedal and not just push it, you'll train more muscles and riding will become easier

I've been checked out a 56 kona tonk, I was worried I would feel cramped, I'm just over 6 1 nearly 6 2, I can't find one locally to try out

the saddle will hurt your balls even if you got a wide model saddle
the bikes are lighter slimmed and the wheels have less resistance. because they are slimmer
its better for commuting

No. Use straps with sneakers.

And practice clipping in and out maybe on a trainer or on the grass. You'll fall eventually trying to figure it out. So take your time. In the end it's worth the effort.

Cleats have setups too. How much movement (angle) they allow for your feet to sway. Someone with bad kneed may want a more giving cleat.

Whereas some of us used 0 degrees that have no movement at all.

56 may be good. But you'll need to determine your leg length first. You may have longer legs for your size. Or shorter. But on average a 56 may do just right.

Then seat and bar heights will be established.

Are straps a good alternative to clipping?
I like the idea a lot, clipping is just too much for me right now.

thanks dude, the measurements on the kona are very very close to a large in a Giant road bike I was checking out, I'm pretty certain I wouldn't want an XL.

yes. Straps are good for short rides. But once you want to start kicking into high mileage stuff you'll want clips. Straps will give you "hot foot" on long rides. The pressure feels like the bottom of your foot is on fire.

But the pros used them all the way until the mid 80s. Whenn Look introduced the clipless pedal

XL is too big - I would imagine.

Are straps easier to get out of for noobies?
I'd like to avoid falling, obviously.

Seriously, get cycling shorts right off the bat. Road bike seats assume your padding is in your shorts, and t hey're brutal over even very short rides in normal pants. If you don't want from-fitting lycra, REI makes some baggy ones that look like normal shorts but have built-in padded underwear.

You don't need a jersey yet, just wear a running shirt. Once you're going on longer rides you'll want a jersey because it'll stay down, and the pockets are lifesavers for food.

Get a helmet. Get a light if you plan on ridding anytime other than broad daylight.

Clips are easy to get out of (small twist of the ankle), the problem is you won't think to twist, will just panic and yank, and will fall over like an idiot at least once. It doesn't hurt, you'll probably do it at a stop sign and just topple over in slow motion.

I used to be a sponsored BMX rider. Was a lot of fun. I still mess around on a BMX a few times a week as well as riding mountain bike trails with it.

I just bought a really minty 70s motobecane. First time on a road bike, actually having gears feels cool. Going to start using it for transportation rather than my car when I can.

Specialized S-works Epic and Colnago C60 here.

They can still be tricky. Just don't tighten them as much on your first few rides.

I learned to clip in and out while riding in heavy traffic. Lady cut me off and braked in front of me. I hit the pavement pretty hard. So ... practice first. Always.

Cars are unforgiving. So are the drivers. In the UK I think they are called "cagers." Because they are safe in their big metal cages - like birds.

I practiced going in and out like 100 times leaning against a railing before I went on my first ride with clipless. You want to build up the muscle memory. I've never fallen over because I failed to unclip.

I use a 29in rigid mtb for trail riding to keep fit but I also commute on it.

I was pig-headed but learned my lesson.

what is it like climbing hills on concrete? is it hard work?

This. Also XC shorts usually come in 2 parts, the padded underpants and then a set to go over them. Just wear the padded skinnies under your jeans/whatever you commute in.

>Why do almost all casuals buy mountain bikes when they never go off-road?

Because they are the cheap bikes you can buy anywhere?
You have no brain, probably will be a fitting cycling faggot.

Get tires that aren't ultra knobby and it's easy. Maxxis makes the holy rollers which I find excellent for commuting and light trail use

I'm a city rider here. I do group rides for fun and fitness. Usually between 15-25 miles each.

I ride a fixed gear with gear ratio 42-16. I'm upgrading to 49-16 since I'm stronger.

I like fixed because it keeps your muscles loose since you're always pedaling, also the yearly maintenance is minimal.

Bikes are worth it for casuals and noobies. Just remember that it's safer to ride in the street than in the sidewalk (and at night this means using a head light, tail light, and bell).

Doesn't take much to transition from interested and cautious to strong and fearless.

thanks man

what are those hills like dude? how long have you been riding your fixie?

I was talking about casuals that buy expensive MTBs. I know plenty of them, even in my family.

I'm getting a fixed I believe. Maybe a flip-flop hub for heavier traffic rides.

I live in Buffalo NY. We don't have many hills. There are some bridges but there's more flat riding than anything. 42-16 is just a little too fast of a cadence when I'm riding flat land and I've done 46-16 before but after riding all season I'm ready to move up.

Flip-flop is fine but remember to keep your back brake on. If you go fixed you technically don't need a back brake unit since you can use your gearing to slow the rear wheel.

More tips, depending on your budget:

For $100 get a Brooks leather saddle for comfort and longevity. They're more expensive but they'll last for many years and will form to your ass cheeks, eventually feeling like a la-z boy.

$80 on Amazon I Recommend Cygolite Expilion 720 headlight since it has many different modes, is USB chargeable with long battery life and works in all lighting situations.

$25 Whether you're on a road bike or fixed gear, get pedal cages to keep your feet stuck to the pedals. If you get clipless pedals, they're more efficient mechanically but you need to wear a special shoe every time you ride and the selection of clipless shoes that do not look derpy is limited.

$40 Get a backpack with a water bladder. You won't have to stop every half hour for water breaks.

Maybe riding a MTB with more resistance can be seen as a good thing for shorter rides.
You could get a better workout in a shorter amount of time.
Also, you can go off-road, at least sometimes.

Oh sry forgot to answer original question - I've been riding fixed for 9 years. I started 52-17 brakeless, then got a brake because my chain popped and it scared the bejesus out of me.

Then over the years not much really changed as far as my setup. New handelbar tape every once in a while. New tires. I like Vittoria Zaffiro tires instead of the cheapie Kendas you get for $13. The amount of flats you get drops dramatically which is really a lifesaver.

Depending on how flat is your city you might even consider a single speed/fixie.
Pic realated, my 2 loves.

I am a casual and go off road with my mountain bike.
Your argument is invalid.

I live in a small town with lots of hills and shit.

Legday forever bruh

nice dude

why the fuck would you ride a racing bike but with out gears, you fucking hipster faggor

So I can be the fastest in urban environments

Premium Rush was a good movie, right?

Shit

my regular 7 gear bike will beat your bike any day

52-15 1v1 faggit

Sure, you bring your 52-15 fixie, and we'll race the half mile up Marion street in downtown seattle.

>Sup Forumsiggas

You can't ride more than one hour without "second skin" (don't know how you call it in english), or your ass will suffer.

I was gonna say 'faggots', but that's too offputting for a serious thread.

hand pump in pooper

Hit a pothole gently on a road bike and your eyes will bounce out of your skull.

Hit a pothole hard on a road bike you'll be walking home crying at the expense of a new wheel.

Hit a pothole at any speed on a MTB and you won't even notice it.

I enjoyed most of it tbh

>serious thread

Ebike, brother. From one UK guy in a hilly bit with a heart condition to another.

I ride FS MTB on roads

I have a big bridge to ride up and there's a couple miles of road construction. 3/4 of it is a paved trail (8 miles one way, about 40 min leisurely)

RBY stands for red/blue/yellow you mouthbreather

don't trust the fat inbreads on Sup Forums ask

Ask /k/ too

Been riding casually with a team of older guys for a few years. They're all rich doctor/lawyer/engineer fags. Got all my gear used from them. They just buy loads of shit & sit on it. Cycling is fun. Start with getting the gear Like said & sign up with a friend or 2 for a 60 or 70 mile race. You can move up to century (100 mile) rides from there. Have fun. Drink a beer when you take a lunch break It'll taste great. Hell, some rides are glorified pub crawls. Be careful on those I've seen people hauled off to hospital bc they can't regulate their alchahol consumption. Most importantly DO IT WITH FRIENDS. It's dumb to go it alone. Get a group together make custom riding shirts make a funny team name & ride.

If you're not willing to get the gear you're not going to be a cyclist. You're just a casual bicyclist i.e. a pleb. Not the same thing

does anyone else ITT chuckle to themselves when they see a grown man riding a mountain bike with the seat hilariously low? gets me every fucking time

Well, my original question was not really about how to be a "real" cyclist.
I was simply interested in what would be the benefits of a road bike for casuals.
I'm looking for a new hobby and a way to get more fit.
Maybe riding a mtb would require more effort and therefore be a better workout in a shorter ride.

Neckbeard cyclists

I've hurt my knees riding so many times I don't laugh I just feel sorry for the guy.

I ride casually too. I ride my fat tire bike around town for exercise. I'd feel stupid riding my road bike around town. A cheap ten speed might be a good fit. You don't need an expensive light weigh road bike for short rides. I wouldn't bother with clips or anything unless you were going to get into cycling.

Well, whatever kind og bike I choose, it will be a decent one.
I do intend to ride every day, so it might as well be good.

Would riding with clips exercise some leg muscles that flat pedals don't?

fuck those chads

Iron man here.
Commuter bikes don't bring any hate. My road bike is only for roads and not sidewalks or curbs. It wouldn't be a great choice for one bike.

Most of commuter bikes suck and/or are ugly.

I broke three bones when I clipped a wall, broke scapula, socket and rib. Was doing about 35mph on a road bike, wet road, nasty corner. Brakes on road bikes are next to useless, my hybrid has diskindly brakes, great stopping power with those.

Yeah, sort of. The only reason for clips is so you can pull up while riding. I'd say for everyday street riding it'd be a waste. Also, stop & go at intersections will get fucking annoying. I'd skip em.

Word to that, daily city cycler here and clips are a pain in the hole.

I got a unicycle and put handlebars on it.