Thought on R.E.M.?

Up there with U2 in terms of 80s "college rock"/"first wave alternative" acts that took post-punk and came out with their own distinct and highly influential sound.

EVERYBODY HURTS

Are their lyrics anything other than gibberish?

First albums were good jangle. I dont care about rest of their stuff. Murmur and Fables are my favorites.

meh

That's insulting to REM.
U2's a power pop band.

this

>U2's a power pop band.
the absolute state of Sup Forums

My favorite band of all time

Murmu and automatic are both 10/10

this, they're basically the american u2 with a less bizarro career arc

Murmur's production is timeless. I can't think of a band that sounded that good in the early 80s.

One of the most important Alternative Rock bands, see the literal first post after yours.

Yes, this user gets it.

U2, Power Pop?... They're Post-Punk, you fucking dip.

I don't feel bad, it's Sup Forums but there are still decent people here, somewhere...

you've never listened to either of these bands, have you? It's okay; you can start today...

OP here, you seem passionate. Your top 3 R.E.M. albums?

Not him but I would rank them

Murmur
Automatic for the People
Lifes Rich Pageant
Reckoning
New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Document
Fables of the Reconstruction
Accelerate
Collapse into Now
Green
Monster
Up
Out of Time
Reveal
Around the Sun

put aside your unwarranted condescension and re- read , it's not a difficult analogy to grasp

unwarranted condescension? it's Sup Forums user. Also, I apologize for the grain of salt it's worth for sounding condescending, however -- U2 and R.E.M. aren't anywhere near the same. IMO. No offense meant. I listen to both pretty regularly; if anything, R.E.M. is closer to Pearl Jam, not just sound wise, just career wise.

1. Reckoning (the first I fell in love with).
2. Automatic for the People.
3. Collapse into Now.

Nice list, user!

Always found them as boring mom rock.
Still do

They might have had a post-punk sound on their first album but all of U2's biggest hits are repetitive, simplistic pop anthems.

No they aren't and try listening to U2 songs besides Beautiful Day and Vertigo before you make your opinion. They were around 25 years before putting that shit out.

>3. Collapse into Now.
Well that's odd

And? REM's biggest hits were mandolin laden rock songs and ballads, not incomprehensibly mumbled jangle pop. Both band's sounds remained uniquely identifiable but changed dramatically as well.

they're anything but simplistic, look up how they make their music, user -- there is a lot of layers to that stuff; they make it look ridiculously easy. It's kind of annoying how good they are as musicians, and, as song writers.

Not him obviously but mine are
1. Fables of the reconstruction
2. New adventures in hi fi
3. Automatic for the people

No one itt is suggesting U2 and REM sound the same, if that's what you're arguing against.

Orange crush is good

I prefer sunkist,

Reckoning made me get the fuck out of town and move forward. Would not be where I am today if the weren't for 'Don't Go Back To Rockville".

Wendell Gee is a better closer.