ITT: Bands where the singer isn't the most famous member

Maybe it's just me, but I knew Flea long before I knew who Kiedis was

I used to think Pete Townshend was the singer of The who

The Mars Volta kind of

Same with Guns N Roses for me. I knew who Slash was way before Axl Rose.

Sorry Mike, but it's true

Oasis

I think everyone just thinks of the Gallaghers as a unit. You don't know one and not know the other.

Rage against the machine

ac/dc

I think Guitar Hero helped on some level with both of these

maybe van halen

Led Zeppelin

Prof. Brian Cox is probably the most famous member of D:Ream, in spite of the fact that it was a solo project. But who can name the bloke from D:Ream's name without looking it up?

angus young is ac/dc most famous member

wrong

Santana

The Mothers of Invention

Yeah, and tom morello was always on the media with his activism as well.. at least in the 00s

this

Manic Street Preachers maybe

Can I guess

I'd guess Captain Sensible is the most well known member of the Damned, and maybe Rat Scabies second. CS is maybe more known for Happy Talk by a lot of people than as a member of the Damned.
Maybe. I don't know if any of them are too well known by the general public though. Nicky and Richey are/were definitely the spokespeople more than James is though.

Sid Vicious is certainly the second most famous Sex Pistol at least, which must be a kick in the teeth for Steve, Paul and Glen, but I don't know if him or John would be the most famous
Sure, go ahead

Genesis in their prime

Sleater Kinney

ramones

metallica

led zeppelin

On a similar note to this, I have to wonder if to most Brix Smith and Mark Riley are better known to the public for their post-Fall media work than Mark E. Smith is known for The Fall

Dream Theater
Nevermore
Rush probably

Butch Vig with Garbage

fIREHOSE

i always thought flea was in korn

Blind Faith

Same with Cream

Yes? Squire probably is most famous.

I'd say it's definitely Wakeman, at least over here in Britain. Wakeman's got almost like a second career as occasional bloke on telly.

I dont agree with neither ramones nor metallica. Joey and james are the most famous

I agree with the Ramones, they're all pretty well known equally, but I knew who Lars Ulrich was before I knew James.

same.

Ok you got me senpai. Maybe lars is better known because he likes to be polemical. And for the ramones i think joey and jonnhy are the most and equally famous.

a lot of swing era bands, count basie orchestra, duke ellington orchestra etc

Rush is 50/50. It's either Neil Peart or Geddy Lee, but Geddy Lee is more known for being an insane bass players.

Fall Out Boy
Guns N' Roses
Blink-182
Motley Crue
At The Drive-In

Welp, my answer has already been taken. That being The Who.

Then who is?
If Plant isn't, it's VERY close.

fripp my dude

Guns N' Roses Slash

Keith Moon is more famous than Daltrey as well

Lars? The shittiest member? I imagine the only context for that would be the copyright lawsuit shit they threw at fans.
Rush for sure. Everybody knows Neil.

>Lars? The shittiest member?
Doesn't mean he's not the most well known. He's definitely the most outspoken member of the band, lawsuits included, so I think that's why

Another one that's kind of - At the Drive-In.

Hell, Entwistle probably ranks near Daltrey in terms of popularity.

Animals as Leaders :)

he also has a weird asperger-ish charisma

idk daltrey is pretty famous

both my parents could name daltrey but not anyone else

for music fans maybe he is less known but for normie middle aged and old people no

Had a brain fart and thought Fripp WAS the singer. And honestly, if I were in his shoes my thought process after losing like three singers would have been "Ok, clearly I'm the only one dedicated enough to stick with this band so I'm taking over singing duties for good."