Should i take a linux os insted of windows and why ?

Should i take a linux os insted of windows and why ?

Other urls found in this thread:

darlinghq.org/
forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1060828.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's free, does likely everything you want, the skills you'll learn could land you a job.

Windows is like riding a bike through a swarm of mosquitoes. You're constantly getting bit by the little bastards and are always itchy.
Linux (suggest Ubuntu distro) is like driving a car through a swarm of mosquitoes. It's comfy to hear them smack against the windshield.

Both posts are very true. Gaining the technical know-how is beneficial on its own. From there, you can branch off to specific fields that interest you. I'm not totally sure why, but beginners tend to have a certain interest for the pentesting scene, for example. Not very realistic, but hey. Then they go from there.

>the skills you'll learn could land you a job
Thats true. Linux bought me a house and I make lots of monies with linux.

I started linux 10 yeard ago, for fun.

Now I'm an admin sys. Getting paid 1700€ a month as a no-diploma and junior admin sys. I know peoples who are the level just above and some doesn't works under 90k€ A YEAR.

Do it.

If you can't answer this question yourself, you shouldn't.

Try a nice linux (maybe ubuntu) for a day, you will understand

Please, we are speaking about Linux.

He should try Debian.

Thanks you all for your reply ;) I havn't made my choice yet

Try it for fun.

Don't expect Linux to be like windows or anything else.

Accept that'll sucks at first, but after you break a couple of times your Linux you'll be better.

op expected a flamewar, got a civilized discussion

Try Ubuntu for starters. Lots of handholding and big, fat buttons for you to press. Where are you from?

Sometimes some people with corrupt windows systems, want their personal data back, linux has no personal security settings on windows ntfs, so you could save documents and stuff on a harddrive to give them back, or you just make a fancy copy and post it on Sup Forums hahaha

>debian desktop
>reddit spacing
Like pottery. Use Ubuntu if you're new.

The true essence of Linux, his heart, his mind... Everything's in the command line interface.

Pushin' him to Ubuntu will just slow him. Debian isn't that hard.

Yeah, linux works better in general. It's not really good for gaming, but it is better in everything else.
I recommend you starting with an easy distro for newbies, such as Gentoo or Arch

Why instead? Just get a cheap 128GB SSD and install something like Ubuntu on it for dual boot.

Try both out and see which one suits your use cases more.

no because you will not understand the os and/or need softwares only catered to windows or mac.

You can even try it on a VM

Well I started with Ubuntu 10 years ago, at this moment it was a fuckin damn good OS.

Now it's bloated everywhere. It's not so simple that everyone can use it, as every OS on earth.

He can surely start with it, but after 10 years I just think it's better to start with something really good and widely used by professional.

90% of the servers with Linux in my company are with Debian.

Might work if he just dives in.

On that note, you should prioritize learning to use the CLI.

Depends on what you want to do. If you intend to use your pc for gaming I wouldnt bother since most games dont have Linux support and its a bitch to install anything

Sure but Ubuntu doesn't push you to use command line. I was *a lot* on the french forum and 95% of the time peoples who can helps will ask you to use CLI anyway.

Why not start with it ? Not that hard.

Concur, except Mint for newbs

Ubuntu is the best option, or any ubuntu tree system as mint or if you do some video or graphic design its ubuntu-studio a very fancy os if you ask me, if you want some ethical hacking tools or just hacking tools its kali-linux but its very advanced not the beginner os, ubuntu got also many internet help for their users its really the best for beginners on my opinion

I'm saying, using Debian might work if he "dives in". I'm saying that he should to use the CLI.

I would say Ubuntu is best only for macfag transitioning

>kali-linux but its very advanced
What? It's basically just Debian with custom graphics and pre-installed packages.

Maybe some raspberry noobs or android system those are used everyday by a million users and those even recognize it really, yeah debian is good too, and gaming is not a problem anymore, since wine (a windows exe emulator it runs some older games really good) and steam-os is also linux as well

Open source software is more popular now than it used to be. Lots of good options available on linux. You can always dual boot to windows if you have something that absolutely cannot be done in linux.

Yeah you right i only want to show him the vast amount on linux systems he could get ^^

Adding to this, there's even software that works "like WINE for Mac binaries".

darlinghq.org/

Or you can just run Wine

Arch och Gentoo for newbies :D
Try Arch. You can realy learn linux on it.
Try it first on older machine, something proven and without issues, and definitly not notebook.
Learn how system work.
Then can you go to Slackware or Debian and became a Wizard :D

Where are you from?

Nice they do some good updates on their emulators, a halve year ago there got big problems with this but now it runns like butter

>linux os insted of windows
No, one does not replace the other.

>wine (a windows exe emulator

Wine
Is
Not an
Emulator

>kali linux
I'll never understand why people use this, let alone recommend it to others. It says right on the fucking website not to use it as a desktop OS.

So you can look cool when you have your terminal open with green text all over your screen, all the time. Also, there are ways to just download everything Kali has to your own, preferred distro.

Well if you just want a facebook machine than I would say for the sole fact that it will run faster, wont spy on you, and doesn't sell your data. If games are your thing you have to do a little more work (but not much). And if you want the freedom to do whatever then this is the OS for you. I got into to do things quicker and never touch my mouse see youtuber LukeSmith.

At the end of the day I don't even think about booting into Windows ever and I can do stuff that was impossible on Windows. Try a flavor of Ubuntu and see if you like it.

Also

If you ask that question on imageboard forum instead on doing some research yourself - you probably shouldn't.

I'll have to admit that I didn't care to read that at all and I think that your problem is some bull-fucking-shit.

Go take a shower, then go to sleep. Tomorrow go to work. There'll be no other advice

I have minimal experience with linux but it's a learning thing the file system is different and make sure to learn the terminal each version of linux is different some people will install everything and do everything from the terminal and others will use it like you would windows and not use the terminal as much

if you plan on using terminal a lot type in

sudo su

type in your password and it makes you root so you don't have to type sudo infront of everything

Download vm ware and run a few different Linux OS until you figure out what you want to do.

It's the typical with great power nonsense when talking about Linux vs windows. With windows you have less power and therefore less responsibility.
With Linux the power is all yours but there isn't anyone there to hold your hand.
As long as you are an accurate typer and not retarded Linux shouldn't be a problem for you.

I've been told it's the preferred tool of masterhacker4chan.

I installed Manjaro KDE on dual boot with windows today and it works pretty well, except KDE can be a bit buggy so I might swich to xfce instead.

I wouldn't recommend that. You should be careful when running things as root: forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1060828.html
It's best practice to just "type sudo infront of everything," but only when you absolutely need to.

>linking to the Gentoo forums
my man

Why do you prefer Manjaro over Arch? Is it just the installation?

I'm new to linux and I hear Arch is good but I'm not good on the terminal yet so I chose Manjaro.

'

a friend of mine is working on a new distro called NiggerOS that's free for broke niggers that like to listen to raps. it will come preloaded with all the audio softwares for making advanced mix tape recordings. .

Snap

>my man
Sorry to disappoint but I've never actually gone there myself. I just remembered a story about a Gentoo user getting hit by ransomware. Running it as root doesn't seem to be what caused his problem though, so I suppose that wasn't the best example.

>I hear Arch is good
It's my favorite distribution. Everything is very well documented and the chances are another user will have already experienced and solved whatever issues you come across. The installation isn't as hard as people make it out to be. It's like playing connect the dots in the terminal except when you get to the part where you partition the disk. That part is pretty scary if you don't already have experience and you're working with all of your pre-existing Windows data.

learn "help" "man"/"man -k", "apt"/"apt-get" "cd" "ls" "rm" "cp" "mkdir" "mv" and maybe "pwd". After that you know enough to navigate & learn more commands.

:^(

Like said; the installation isn't anywhere near as hard as people make it out to be. It legit takes less than half an hour. You can follow the wiki step-by-step without knowing a damn thing, and you'd still probably manage. Partitioning is easy too. The reason (I'm guessing) people say it's more difficult, is because you want to have the scheme in your head. It's more figuring out what you want on your own. A "what flavour ice cream do I want?" kind of deal.

I think if I decide to try another distro I'll give Arch a go but for now I'm going to stick Manjaro.
Also which desktop environment do you guys recommend, I'm trying out KDE at the moment and I like that it has many features but it gets a bit buggy sometimes.

KDE Plasma's buggy as fuck, but I'm a bit of a sucker for it, so I use it anyways. But if I had to give you what I think would be the best DE overall, I'd say XFCE. Lightweight, but very customizable. Cinnamon is okay, but not as good. I3 if you want a tiling WM (to look like a c00l kid). I generally stay away from Gnome 3.* because it's just too flashy for me. But from what I hear, it's not that buggy.

>Ubuntu
>Debian

CentOS is 1000X better

Cause is not to use as a desktop OS?
You have to learn to use the terminal...
Which is the reason why you should use linux... no matter the distro...

For a beginner? What makes you say that?

If you can't log in as root you shouldn't be using it. In 20 years I haven't fucked up a UNIX or Linux server o/s

macOS, much better than either alternative in every way whatsoever. Except for poorfags

Why not? It's simple to install, it's simple to add packages, VNC or direct GUI if you want a desktop.
I only say CentOS because it's free and RHEL is the industry standard for business applications. You have the most to gain with it.

I was going to try XFCE but ended up going for KDE because it looked better, and Gnome 3 just didn't appeal to me. I'm probably just going to switch to using XFCE as KDE is too buggy and I've only just started using it.

kek

It's probably for the best.

No one cares if you've been using it for 20 years and never messed up. That's common advice for newbies. It's better to be careful than careless.