This board is pure cancer right now

>This board is pure cancer right now.
>Let's have a real thread.

What book are you reading right now, and why?

I just finished 1984 and am now reading Warning to the West as a follow-up to it.

I have waited my whole life to read 1984 for an era that I personally deemed similar to the world in the book--to enhance the effect of reading it. I was not disappointed. The Party in the book demonstrates how our politicians are currently thinking
>blackwhite, crimestop, doublethink

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_wsMEj2ZfW8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you like science fiction, I recommend the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.

Reading Slaughterhause-Five right now. Sick and tired of WWII shit in general but this one's pretty fun.
>I have waited my whole life to read 1984 for an era that I personally deemed similar to the world in the book
ok
interesting how you felt capable of judging that without having read it
I should get on some Asimov sometime.

source on that creepy 60s robobot?

>1984
>Foundation series
anything else? those are school literature, no? we red them on english classes

This is a 18+ yo site.

Reread the "Look at Windward".
For some reason it's better and better every time.
Soon gonna return to Pratchett as a brain theraphy.

This everything is becoming 1984 meme is fucking cringeworthy, the book itself is okay and it's message is interesting but please don't go around thinking you're intelligent by referencing 1984 in as many ways as possible. I guarantee you the people who'd be impressed are either retarded and read the book, or have never read the book and know fuck all about it.

Anyway if you like Orwell, check out animal farm.

Also to anyone in the know, how does Brave New World compare to 1984?

i was reading "la faim" of Knut hamsun but i lost the book in the bus.

>read sci-fi novels
>full of descriptions of human emotions and character sketches
>he thinks, he fears, he loves, he shits...
>no sci nor the simulation of the society in most part.
>just about humans, humans, humans...

even hard SF novels are like that and space operas are needless to say way shittier.
novels are for women and gays.

Brave New world is nice. It's a bit too much on the scare of genetic engineering (but it's a dystopia after all) but it's good about how artifical you can make a society. It's individualism pushed to its extreme, but at the same time every one has his label and cannot emancipate from it.
It's a good reab about how technology doesn't necessarily improves everything

BNW actually more resembles today than 1984.
It's pretty good, but boring sometimes.

Read "Chronicles of Amber".
Not that much scifi, bu you gonna like it.

Well, it's a funny book, but I'm not really sure why it's so high regarded.

I'm reading James Bond For Your Eyes Only. It's 5 short stories about Bond. I really enjoyed the first two.

A Fire Upon the Deep
Because I'm a genre pleb.

Oh man, thanks. I was just thinking about what to read. I've loved Lord of Light and Croyd in wild cards. I had totally forgot about the chronicles.

GR, m8.
But it's unfinished, so prepare to punch the wall.

That tilts me desu. Did he lose the inspiration to keep going or he just died before finishing?

Podkayne of Mars

It's in a big stack my dad gave me that I'm working through. Just finished Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Next is The Windup Girl.

I don't really read nonfiction except Manga. Currently reading :

Japanese grammar guide, by Tae Kim
めたんて こなん
And a German book about compiler building

Fiction stinks

Read scientific biographies to rediscover Einstein, Feynmann, Nash, Newton and some sporting heroes for good spiritual measure - Senna, Prost, add some broad scientific textbooks to understand what the fuck is going on around us

Died. Once read he would dictate last one while he was in bed, coughing every minute.
Worst is it ended just when a guy who can erase Logrus appeared.

GoT Storm of swords in english.
Just borrowed it from a friend and im too lazy to go to library. Maybe going to borrow some witcher after this series.

Why don't u just download it and read on phone?
>inb4 le smell of paper

Unless its e-ink the visual strain headaches will be unbearable

Really hasn't even crossed my mind.
I haven't read that many books in my life. Its a new hobby for me.

That's just your retarded opinion man

Just finished Monday Starts on Saturday, from Arkady and Boris Strugatsky (Roadside picnic, aka Stalker etc.). This was pretty weird book from them, even if their early works were a bit like fantasy, they still had the underlying scifi setting (not unlike LeGuin's Rocannon), but this one's setting quite like in Harry Potter (well, more like Methods of Rationality). It's about a programmer that gets hired in a magical research institute. It's pretty interesting. I think it suffers a bit for a lack of overall plot, even if you get some interesting concepts, like time travelling and using Maxwell's demons as door system.

I got 1984 on Amazon kindle and they pulled the book. They realized pretty quick they fucked up and put it back. LMFAO. I have a copy of 1984 locked in a safe now.

Books are more pleasant to read. I've tried PDF's and E-books, but an actual book is much more pleasant to read. Might be habit, but I think it's the visual strain on the eyes that's the problem.

>asimov
HACKIEST HACK SCI FI HAS EVER SEEN

Dracula. Is great.

I bet the combination to the safe is 1-9-8-4

Great book, some people say it's the best in the series. I prefer Clash and Feast.
Just google for "'book title' pdf". Works for every piece of semi significant litterature.

Why does google keep suggesting me Adolf Hitlers Mein Kampf audiobook?

I'm not even logged in and i'm using private browsing.

Try the Russian trio to save even more time

bookzz.org
bookfi.net
libgen.net

Still not so bad after the massive copyright culling

->Sup Forums

Dunno, was reading for 7 years no, no problems.

Currently reading Journey to the end of the Night by Céline, so far it's just been a couple of hundred pages of a Frenchman whining

#bookz

The voyage is one of my favorite books.
The whining is entertaining and lets you enjoy his adventures. I mean, I wished I had a life half as interesting as his and the prose is masterful, but without the irony I don't think it could be half as enjoyable

It's just cookies user :3

sorry i'm too smart for books. enjoy your archaic medium.

I'm enjoying it a lot, and usually the "whining" is insightful or entertainingly absurd (or both)

Currently in the middle of picrelated.

It's a story about a French-Lebanese guy's grandpa and great-uncle getting into trouble in Cuba. That's the connecting thread throughout the book, which hasn't fully unfolded for me yet, and all around it he talks about other family stories from the same time period (1890s-1910s) plus his own story of piecing it all together from a trove of ancient letters and documents kept in a big trunk at the family house in Lebanon.

My next two books I have queued up for myself are Orwell's Homage to Catalonia and this book called El Ejercito Real regarding the colonial military in early California.

currently reading military history of transylvania 1940-1944

Finished 2666 recently, started In Cold Blood a few days ago.
Also this, I wasn't sure if OP was a parody post or not.

>reading books

Has anyone else here ever read The Inheritors? It's written by the same guy who did Lord of the Flies.

For me it was kind of challenging to understand at points, but a lot of fun overall.

"Capitalisme and freedom"
by Milton Friedman

Great start for getting a different economic perspective (relative the EUs monetary and Luxembourgs fiscal policies).

Also great fan of his "free to choose" series.

"Vision of the Anointed" by Thomas Sowell might be next.