Grimes fags need to realize that just because she doesn't sound like anybody else...

Grimes fags need to realize that just because she doesn't sound like anybody else, doesn't mean she innovated or originated any new genres.

I don't know anybody that sounds like Will Toledo, and I know for a fact that nobody would claim he originated any genre

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5oqxz6hpGbs
ableton.com/en/blog/grimes-bird-calls-and-dentists-drills/
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeoClassicalPunkZydecoRockabilly
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I don't know anybody that sounds like Will Toledo, and I know for a fact that nobody would claim he originated any genre- 0 post shown.
guided by voices

You can actually make that case for Will Toledo for creating the bedroom indie subgenre, or at least codifying it.

>Grimes fags need to realize that just because she doesn't sound like anybody else, doesn't mean she innovated or originated any new genres.
You contradicted yourself. If she doesn't sound like anyone else, that means her product - her music - is original, hence innovative. She created something that hasn't been done before. She's innovative, like it or not.

No. She's working in a pre-existing genre and only making "Grimes sounding music", by that I mean, she is creating new melodies (as any good artist should) but not doing anything new within the genre itself. Face it, she originated nothing

>I don't know anybody that sounds like Will Toledo, and I know for a fact that nobody would claim he originated any genre
You don't have to create a whole new genre in order to be innovative anyway. However. Grimes created her own genre. Some journalists used the lame term of post-internet music. She's doing something that sounds like anything else and like nothing else. It's a mix of recognizable parts and out there parts. Listen to World Princess and notice that you never heard something like this before.

She introduced new ideas. The genres existed but not in the form of her music. She twisted those old ideas into something new and added her own ideas on top of that. That's innovative.
Let's pick a standard Grimes song: youtube.com/watch?v=5oqxz6hpGbs
I listened to a truckload of music and I never heard something like this. Do you know anything similar to it?

Would you say that Will Toledo is innovative?

I had no idea that Grimes created synthpop

>Grimes created her own genre.
Jesus Christ.

>She's working in a pre-existing genre
True but she added plenty of other genres and mashed them so well that the end product only has a slight resemblance of the exisiting genres. It's like making a cocktail of various fruits: the end result is something new and tasty. Bon appetit!

Look guys, I'm not saying that she hasn't crafted a sound, I'm saying that she hasn't done anything with those new sounds to warrant the lavish waifufagging

>the end result is something new and tasty
Yes, but it didn't create any new fruits, new ways of mixing them together, or new flavors in that cocktail. All she did was take already tasty things and make them tasty together.

I don't know his music, sorry. Maybe he's innovative; I'm not going to deny that.
Grimes created synthpop-IDM-dreampop-medieval-industrial-country-JPop-alternative rock-R&B. This thing is called Grimes music.

See

Can I hear a Grimes song that has all of those genres in one song?

You can't just take all the influences a person has and then say they created a super genre of those influences.

In that case, I invented post-industrial-psychedelic-bedroom-punk-fuzz-folk-pop-rock

>Yes, but it didn't create any new fruits, new ways of mixing them together, or new flavors in that cocktail. All she did was take already tasty things and make them tasty together.
She did way more than that. She didn't just pick random genres and fused them together: she added her own ideas and flavors too. Example:
>I'm always listening for interesting sounds. Like, for example, I recently took a sample of some percussion that had a lot of melodic information in it, put the verb up to 100% and then sampled the verb so that none of the original sample was there but it contained the melodic information. Sometimes I record things in the house like beads or whatever etc. Sometimes I get found samples from online bird watching communities or this or that, haha. Usually I use some combination of these methods.
>For the song “Venus Fly", for example, I had these awesome 808s, that I built using two different 808 sounds. Then I sampled a dentist drill and tuned it to the 808s and layered it very lightly on top so that they sounded a bit more savage but also wide and clean cuz I think I panned the drill hard and the 808s were mono in the center.
ableton.com/en/blog/grimes-bird-calls-and-dentists-drills/

As you can see she created new sounds. Right now she's in her studio planning to create "unexplored sonic landscapes".
>I kno i've been quiet lately - in the studio every day trying to legit make something you've never heard before. unexplored sonic landscapes. i need another month or 2 of pure unadulterated creativity at which point i will begin finishing tracks. won't let u down

Isn't that exciting as fuck? She's going to make even more innovative music.

>only one artist exists in this autistic genre I made up

a genre is a grouping, so we group her into synthpop.

>IDM
>industrial
>country
>R&B
>MEDIEVAL

what in the literal fuck haha nice bait

That does sound pretty tight, as fucking stupid as "Sonic landscapes" sounds

>she added her own ideas
Nope. Both bird samples and drill sounds have been used in music before, as has the art of using sounds considered to be strange in music. To continue your cocktail analogy, it's like saying she created a new drink because she added some mint leaves on top or some sugar. Sure, maybe that specific drink had never been made with mint before, but drinks have been made with mint before, so all she did was sprinkle some on top. Maybe it does taste good to you, but that's not exceptionally original
And I am excited about hearing the new album if she's true to her word.

It's not just a problem of Grimes and her fans. None of the artists that got popular on Sup Forums in recent years is innovative despite being claimed so. Death Grips fans are by far the most annoying.

>I'm saying that she hasn't done anything with those new sounds to warrant the lavish waifufagging
You just don't get her achievements. Nothing worng with that but don't imply your opinion is true.
>lavish waifufagging
She's praised for her music first. As for her look, most of this silly board insulted her appearance. That's as far as waifufagging as it gets.

Good. Show me the songs.

You first.

She has strong influences from all these genres. Stop being a contrarian.

Educate yourself: tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeoClassicalPunkZydecoRockabilly

>Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly is when an artist mixes seemingly disparate genres together. After all, if two genres are already awesome on their own, then combining them will result in something even more awesome, right?

At least they're not "emotional landscapes", lol.

>throwing around the word contrarian for absolutely no reason
RMMT
Also, you have failed to do

Yes, she has influence from those genres. Nobody is contesting that. But she didn't create that retarded super genre you claim she did

She created new sounds by combing existing sounds AND by creating sounds from scratch. She used Ableton Live and synths for that purpose. As you know you can create new sounds with synths and VSTs.
BTW she did sample packs for Roli.

>But she didn't create that retarded super genre you claim she did
She did. And that's a legit term. As a matter of fact, show me just one artist who did her kind of music. Someone who did songs like Scream, Realiti, Beast Infection, Eight, Entropy, Oblivion, Venus Fly, Dream Fortress, California, Life in the Vivid Dream. I mean THAT RANGE from a single artist. Just go ahead and btfo my argument right now with a strong example.

What new sounds did she create from scratch?

>educate yourself
>contrarian

those apply more to you than they do to me lmao

>she has influences from these genres so therefore she created a supergenre

by that logic you think that MBDTF is classical hip hop? That's completely ridiculous

>show me just one artist who did her kind of music
[synthpop band]

Making several songs across a span of genres does not mean you created a new genre.

Are Grimes fags really so insecure that she has to be the "artist of the decade"?

>she has influences from these genres so therefore she created a supergenre
She USED those influences. They're part of the actual sounds. And yeah, she created a supergenre.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
She has her own sound. You can't prove me wrong.

No. We just want what she deserves: no less than the artist of the decade. Anyone else is underwhelming compared to her.

>inb4 some silly incompetent meme-rappers are better than her

>You can't prove me wrong
Prove yourself right first. Show me a song that she made that can't be categorized into a pre-existing genre or has elements that have never been used before.

I'm sorry, I just don't see it. She's a good artist, I'll agree. Art Angels was AOTY 2015, I think. But she just isn't AOTD worthy. She has 1 good release and 3 okay releases. She's a promising artist, not a promised one

Actually she has two great releases and two shit ones.

I'll take Grimes over Lorde, Ellie Goulding, Katy Perry, and every other vapid pop slut any day of the week.

I'll take none of them thanks :)

The bigger issue is that she is not talented and her music is not interesting.

>b-but she makes her music on her own and she makes sound packs! and she is an awesome visual artist and better that you will ever be ;)

Visions was amazing too. Maybe even better than AA. Also her first 2 albums are great and totally unique. She still has time to put one more masterpiece before the decade ends.

So, we have: 2 masterpieces (AA, V), 2 great albums (H, GP) and one solid EP (Darkbloom). If she would manage one more masterpiece that would be just like Bjork in the '90s (Debut, Post, Homogenic).

The most reasonable choice.
Just your opinion. I'm afraid it's not relevant.