Why do phone manufacturers constantly release new low-end "dumb phones" instead of just selling their older models at a...

Why do phone manufacturers constantly release new low-end "dumb phones" instead of just selling their older models at a reduced price?

Like for example, why can't we buy an original Samsung Galaxy S1 for $49?

That's a horrible design.

No security updates

Because phones have become a status symbol. If you're a poorfag, you shouldn't have an "S"...that's What the "J" series is for...

because a current $150 phone is better than the original galaxy. does not worth it. also, keeping manufacturing thousands of models concurrently simply does not scale.

oh, you wrote 49, not 149. whatever. still stands. the profit would be non-existent on a $49 phone. just because it's old, the parts are not necessarily cheaper.

humans are worthless

I still have that phone. I bought it for €100 (almost) brand new, because the chick who had it, despised how it looked, her mum bought it for her as a b-day gift but after unboxing it she never used it

sure they are, but this is a thread about mobile phones

If humans are worthless, what this makes of niggers?

A phone with the specs of the original Galaxy S1 (2010) would still be competitive in the lower end of the smartphone market today:

4" 480x800 screen
1 GHz processor
5 MP rear camera
0.3 MP front camera

For $149, you'd be looking at a phone similar to the Galaxy S3 (flagship of 2013):

4.8" 720x1280 display
1.4 GHz processor
8 MP rear camera
2 MP front camera

Humans are worthless, niggers aren't human... But still worthless

Perhaps because Samsung can no longer buy those out of production parts anymore?

Fucking retard.

Because dumb phones are so ridiculously cheap that money can be made on them even when they sell them for $50 full retail.
Also, the profit margin on cell phone plans with no data is ridiculous.

Don't worry, they're making theirs.

fair enough

do you realize how many companies that manufactures cellphones? do you realize how much competition it generates? do you realize how much technological advancement we do on a yearly basis? do you realize we live in a capitalist society which is in part a consumerism minded one? add some psychological tactics in the mix for marketing purposes and bam you got your answer

Because they need to keep changing the names and designs of phones so people can keep buying stuff.

Because old people just want A PHONE and have arthritis that makes it hard for them to use tightly bunched numbers.

I wish they made a Motorola Razr clamshell or Xperia play but with modern hardware built in.

I miss buttons.

This

So much this.

Bs I got an s6 for 150

Nigga. The new bodies are higher quality. The software is better. The camera on low end phones is now orders of magnitude better.
Good phones are getting cheap and cheap phones are getting good.
When was the last time you saw someone use a S1? Nobody uses them because they're incompatible with today's technological needs.