Devin Townsend

Why do music reviewing websites keep ignoring him despite his relevance and importance in the metal scene?

>Pitchfork
never reviewed any devin townsend albums

>Fantano
never reviewed any devin townsend albums

>Metacritic
Only his latest album, Transcendence, appears on the website (and it's not even one of his best albums). the rest of his discography is nowhere to be found on metacritic despite making many albums that are incredibly important to the metal scene such as City, Alien, Ocean Machine and Terria

Wtf???

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m1vOGSG4Og0
youtube.com/watch?v=2m2JTtu4uGU
youtube.com/watch?v=Fh6s4FpemZo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because nu-males do not care about prog or metal, same why they ignore seven Wilson

>tfw going to see Devy in a week

Personally I don't think he's hugely relevant to the metal scene as a whole, his work has more of a cult following than anything.
He does get a bit of attention outside of metal circles but I'm surprised he doesn't get more considering the stylistic scope of his music.

Nah user that's not the reason. there are other metal artists that get much more attention in music reviewing websites.

(I also don't like calling people "nu males", it's a dumb term)

I agree.

Devin made 3 albums that aren't metal at all since 2009: Ki, Ghost and Casualties of Cool, and all 3 of them great.

I love Devy but I'm not sure I agree with him being all that "important" to the metal scene, at least in an influential sense. As mentioned, he has a strong cult following, but I don't really hear many bands trying to sound like him, he's pretty self-containted. He's not really bringing a ton of fans into the metal scene, either. I think most people that like his stuff were already into heavy music.

Because he is a fucking niche among niches. He managed to pull off playing prog music that appeals to casual metal listeners instead of to musicians.

And proge is in general ignored by the media so it is what it is. Gonna see him in a week, looking forward to it.

I'm a nu-male and love Steven Wilson nice try.

he's hipster repellent
they don't like maximalist production

but nu-males love Devin Townsend

He's very entry level metal

He's poppy, isn't too screamy on his more popular albums (Terria, Biomech) and has a sense of humour

this, nu-males love "le ironic metal goofball"

strapping young lad is good though, and so is a few of his solo albums like biomech and ki

>numales love Devin Townsend

I guess it's time to delete some MP3 folders then....

He stopped making good music and now just releases loud "muh wall of sound" shit that focuses on sounding BIG instead of having memorable melodies and interesting song structures.

The term "nu-male" is dumb.
Especially considering the current generation is better than the previous one

t. nu-male

He released this in 2014 and it's the opposite of what you are describing

youtube.com/watch?v=m1vOGSG4Og0

testosterone levels have dropped 17% since the 1980s

And how is this a bad thing? less testosterone means less violence which is a great thing.

>nu-male
I wish this meme would end

As for why reviewers don't review his stuff I dunno maybe people should have informed Fantano or Pitchfork of this release Next Townsend project, we need to band together Sup Forums to inform the masses that Devin Townsend exists and he makes killer music instead of fellating Abbey Road for the billionth time. I know saying that triggers a lot of you but the turth hurts

violence is the only thing beautiful in this world

Ki is genuinely one of his best albums, shame it gets overshadowed by the rest of the DTP stuff.

there's your review hahaa

Anthony gave positive reviews to many hip hop albums that are much more "sanitary" sounding than anything Devin has ever done.

And btw i think the early Devin Townsend albums are not Sanitary sounding at all, they just have a pretty maximalist production

bump

>le poopoo peepee progmetal man
Wgaf

Only Deconstruction has peepeepoopoo.

Listen to this
youtube.com/watch?v=2m2JTtu4uGU

Have more
youtube.com/watch?v=Fh6s4FpemZo