Is the AT-LP60 a good way to start?

I wanna get into turntables and I've read some stuff about beginner turntables. This one seems to pop up almost everytime. Do you recommend it?

Other urls found in this thread:

fluance.com/rt81-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-record-player-with-premium-cartridge-diamond-needle
forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/audio-technica-at-lp120-preamp-removal-detailed-instructions-video.318596/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just get the AT-LP120

no it's awful

LP120 or a U-Turn Orbit.

Preferably the Orbit because it ships with a better cartridge and is belt driven.

The AT-LP60 is basically a souped up Crosley

Since when was belt driven a good thing?

It's utter garbage.
I don't understand why people recommend the LP120 either when you can get a used Technics SL1200/1210 at that price with some patience

The Pro-ject Debut Carbon is the cheapest, decent turntable you can buy new. Otherwise you'll be looking for a used Technics turntable.

Where do I look for a used Technics?

Less risk of damaging your records via torque from the motor, but the main appeal is a lower noise floor as direct drive tables rumble quite a bit.

Just go to your local hi-fi shop, and if you don't have one move to a better city. You're going to get ripped off online.

Someone in my family has a pioneer turntable from the mid 70's, worth checking out to see if its good quality?

fluance.com/rt81-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-record-player-with-premium-cartridge-diamond-needle

Absolutely. Just about any 70's Pioneer is going to be miles better than the LP60 in every way. New belts are readily available as well.

I have a small vinyl collection but no record player. Should I just get an LP120 since they're easy to find for now, and then if an SL1200 ever shows up just upgrade?

yup.

this. sorry.

this. i'd suggest lp120 over orbit personally though.

There are tons of other brands other than A-T and Technics out there. You can get a vintage table from any other brand that run circles around the LP120 for a fraction of the price. Also consider if you want other features such as automatic return which neither of those have

The LP120 is the way to go. Very solid beginner TT for whatever really. Good for listening as well as mixing later on.

What will auto return do for me?

When the record is finished playing, the tonearm lifts and returns to its rest and the TT shuts off. It's a fucking godsend for when you're dozing off on the couch

The LP120 is a decent enough TT if and only if you remove that piece of shit preamp that's built into it.

Without it the tonearm just keeps going onto the label in the center of the record? And how can I get around the preamp?
I'm seriously considering purchasing an LP120 so I want to know everything about it.

>Without it the tonearm just keeps going onto the label in the center of the record?
Exactly.
>And how can I get around the preamp?
forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/audio-technica-at-lp120-preamp-removal-detailed-instructions-video.318596/

I use the built in preamp and its actually not that bad
Obviously, not "audiophile" fap-able quality but if you're buying an AT LP-120, that shouldn't matter, right?

What kind of speaker setup are you running?

Although the preamp itself isn't super hi fi, that's not the main problem, especially if you want to use it anyways. The real problem is that the twats that designed it made it in such a way that when you turn the internal preamp OFF to use an external one, it doesn't switch completely and leaves a few capacitors connected to the path, adding completely unnecessary capacitance to the chain (which is very bad for low-level, relatively high frequency signals)

I know nothing about hifi or audio equipment in general, but I'm willing to learn. How much will I need to familiarize myself with it if I get an LP120?

What do you think of rega? I know their high-end stuff is highly rated, but is their lower end stuff any good for a first-timer?

>How much will I need to familiarize myself with it if I get an LP120?
You don't need to care about concept like wire capacitance to understand what you're doing. The LP120, like most turntables, are pretty much plug-and-play. Connect it to your amplifier, put a record on it, press start, drop the needle. You will understand most that there is to understand after some use. If you want to dig deeper, I don't have any other advice to you than to read around on forums and google whatever question you need answered. Vinylengine has some great info for starters.

Rega makes hifi stuff but it's pretty bare bones, more so than the LP120. Whereas you can change speed with the press of a button on a LP120 (like most turntables) doing it on most Regas entails jerking the belt around, there's literally only an on/off button on them and nothing else. I find that really unappealing but if you enjoy their philosophy and their looks there's not much to say on their quality

Thanks - I'll get an LP120 for now and upgrade if I feel it's something worth investing more into.

Theres no way I could get a used Technics 1200 for the price of the LP120. Where do you live?

Found a cheap deal on a 2nd hand Rega RP1 PP last year. It's almost comically basic, but the quality of what is in it is excellent. However, I'm not sure I would have bought it if I was paying full price. I don't think it's worth the $500+ retail. There's a few tables out the that are similar for less money

I know, I'm stretching it. For a one in good condition you need to pay at least the double of a LP120. But with patience you can find one that only needs a little tlc for what you have to shell out for a new LP120. This is in Scandinavia

bump