Was it possible to ever get worse than 70s-early 80s buttrock?

Was it possible to ever get worse than 70s-early 80s buttrock?

70s easy listening.

yeah
its called indie rock. started with the strokes and now ends with will teldo

>indie rock started with the strokes
wew lad

>reading comprehension
>the city of you

*cockrock
buttrock didn't start until this guy invented it

Yeah, all rap.

/thread

I'd say Eddie more created the vocal style. Buttrock started with post-grunge.

You forgot Boston, ELO, Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac

The target audience for this stuff was bland white suburban teenagers. People with no taste in music whatsoever. People who went on to become office drones with 2.5 kids working blah 9-5 jobs. If Sup Forums were around in 1979, we'd be ridiculing this stuff while discussing the latest New Wave releases.

About half of those are pretty decent

The decent ones not consisting of Journey, Styx, and Kansas.

>Styx
>Toto

>Bad

Come on now, why do you guys hate fun?

Styx is terrible tho. Toto is atleast tolerable.

How blinded by nostalgia can you possibly be.

Nah, besides Boston those don't have the same "arena rock" sound.

You'll never hear me defend Nickelback or Linkin Park, but there are scores of totally brainless Millenials who are every bit as dumb and nostalgia-blinded as this guy.

Buttrock used to mean late 90s-early 2000s radio rock, now it just means "anything I don't like".

who's stupid, the quoted post or the guy replying to him?

Toto was good m9

The guy replying to him insisting that those bands weren't the 70s Nickelback.

I hate Hot-Blooded, I really do. One problem I have with bands like Foreigner is the complete lack of believability. When Graham Bonnett or Gene Simmons sang about wanting to violate your daughter, they sounded like they really meant it. When Lou Gramm does it, he comes off as some betamax just singing the lyric for money/radio play.

"Cock rock" is such a lame, hypocritical moniker. For the first 25-30 years of its existence, the overwhelming majority of rock music was about being "straight and horny." And I'm not a big fan of Foreigner, but I hate "All Night Long" more than "Hot Blooded" because I like my Blackmore stuff to be about dungeons and dragons and fair maidens in castles.

Most of those band logos look like they'd be car brands.

cars were cool back then. since the 90's we've been driving nu-cars

>Kansas
>bad

But that's the problem. Good music requires the performer to sell you on the lyrics. Jimi Hendrix, Mick Jagger, Paul Stanley, Axl Rose...when they were singing about getting laid, you totally believed it. Put on a Foreigner tune and Lou Gramm sounds so lamely unconvincing that it's pathetic.

>Steely Dan
I'll fight you

Kansas, Styx, Foreigner, and Boston were roughly contemporaries. Journey's popularity came later and REO Speedwagon were still a niche AOR band in the late 70s and not that well known outside the Midwest.

rocks!

>opinion favoring older styles of rock music = nostalgia

My cousin was in high school back then and he said that it was mostly normalfags who listened to those bands, football jocks, preppy types. The girls were more inclined to the softer sounding bands like Boston and Styx, while the dudes were more inclined to heavier stuff like Van Halen and Montrose.

The Dungeons & Dragons nerds and chess club kids listened to prog and sometimes Frank Zappa.

Edgy, ironic kids listened to punk and New Wave.

And the Mexican kids all listened to 50s rock-and-roll (the homies and lowrider dudes were obsessed with Elvis and James Dean) or else black music like Commodores and Earth, Wind, and Fire.

All this "corporate rock" snobbery. The Sex Pistols are more corporate rock because their formation and marketing story is closer to the Monkees than Boston or Foreigner.

Not at all. Boston was one guy in his basement and REO Speedwagon had been active in the Midwest since the late 60s. Foreigner were definitely much more of a "corporate" band than those guys, they literally consisted of veteran session musicians that Atlantic assembled into a band.

This is a SFW board dude, you can't post those band logos here. My poor eyes.