How does the rest of the world feel about having shitty unsafe plug socketets

How does the rest of the world feel about having shitty unsafe plug socketets

EN 50075

I'd rather have an EU or US plug. Have you ever stepped on one of this in the middle of the night? Its worse than lego

And you can do fun stuff like this. The only good thing is you can turn off the power on the wall socket

I prefer the US style for practicality. Power strips already take up enough space without oversized plugs.

Nothing beats three round pins and 60hz fag.

ye its a small price to pay for ground

Safety is for the weak!

US plugs can also have a ground.

ye but do they have the small switch thing

>what is a switched receptacle

>the world feel about having shitty unsafe plug socketets
>>>
> Anonymous 09/01/17(Fri)08:26:24 No.743868479▶
>EN 50075
>>>
> Anonymous 09/01
Why would you need a switch on a outlet? Oh because you're afraid of the 220v.lol

/thread

What is type-F plug for 50£.

How does it feel to be treated like a retarded baby and not being trusted around power outlets?
Did u leave EU yet?

As far as I'm concerned, the best thing about the BS1363 standard is the fact that all plugs legally have to be fused. Without the fuse, any cable can be supplied with the full 32A continuous (160A peak) of the upstream breaker in the event of a fault. No thanks.

I don't know a damn about electricity so it doesn't matter to me

What's a socketet ?

Centralized, automatic fuses for your home/apartment.
Welcome to 1990.

Yes, but no shutters over the internal live contacts - easy for a child to electrocute itself - unlike with the UK design

Versions with shutters do exist and are common as hell. Plus, the whole thing is embedded to the wall by about 2 cm and there are no contacts on the surface (the metal bits at the top and bottom are the grounding wire and it's backup),
Quite literally, the only way ti electrocute yourself is to get TWO metal spikes and deliberately insert both of them. Hell, you can't even touch wires when a plug is connected, because the whole socket is embedded 2 cm into the wall and insulated with plastic. By the time you pull the plug out enough to touch the metal, you've disconnected the plug.

I feel good about having never stepped on knives disguised as a power cable lying on the floor

The UK has RCDs. The user you replied to was talking about the technical superiority of ring-mains rather than individually-fused radial circuits.

>TWO metal spikes
Please learn basic physics. You only need one wire to touch the live - the neutral is irrelevant as you'll earth yourself

What is ground anyway?

I dont know anything about this area.

Wallwart

works fine here

Just the UK plug reinvented with angled prongs.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.....

The shutter only opens when both are pressed

at a fraction of the size, and we don't have to wire up our own plugs

The ground line (sometimes called Earth) is a wire that feeds directly into the ground, sometimes by a metal water pipe. I'll give an example of what it might be used for: If a wire inside your toaster breaks and you touch the metal body, you'll get electrocuted because your body creates a connection between the wire and the ground. Since the metal body of the toaster is highly charged and the ground is not, the electricity will flow towards the ground through your body. This can be lethal, so to prevent this from occurring, homes have ground lines installed so the electricity can get to the earth via an earthed cable rather than through your body, should an electrical fault occur. Metal bodies on various appliances (such as the body of a metal toaster or a computer case) are usually connected to ground to prevent static shocks which can cause damage, and to reduce the likelihood of serious injury. Radios can use ground to reduce signal noise generated by the AC power lines.

>type-F plug
Still not as safe
>Schuko sockets can accept two-pin unearthed Europlug (CEE 7/16) and CEE 7/17. Less safely, Schuko plugs can be inserted into many two-pin unearthed CEE 7/1 sockets and into some sockets with a different form of earth connection that will not mate with the earth contacts on the Schuko plug (e.g., some variants of the Danish socket). Many such sockets also lack the cavity required to prevent users from touching the pins whilst inserting the plug

.>we don't have to wire up our own plugs
Nor do we - all appliances in the UK now come with moulded-on plugs. We can cut them off and wire our own if we have to.

Nibba that's you're leg amputated

I feel smarter. You don't need too much brains to operate a fucking power cord safely.

You'd be surprised. Darwin award-winners use them all of the time. Pic illustrative

Asymmetrical plugs are absolutely retarded.

>What is a fused plug?

>unearthed Europlug (CEE 7/16)
>CEE 7/17.
>CEE 7/1 sockets

Quite literally none of which are type F (as in, the combination of CEE 7/3 socket and CEE 7/4 plug). If retards choose to use different standard sockets and plugs, that's not exactly a point against it now is it? Just as there being unsecured adapters and plugs compliant with the British sockets, isn't exactly a point against the British plug/socket combo.

This guy's on the money with this statement.

wonderful point old bean
i love my earth wire so i do :)

British sockets there.

Snakes found their prey.

not switched on

This looks sad. Like they broke up.

US master race here

Denmark clearly has the cutest outlets.

Edison all the way.

Thanks for explaining to me user!

I understand that it protects, however not sure still. A circuit is needed for the power to flow right, so is this useful if the power cant escape out of the toaster? Does it let some kind of stored energy in the toaster escape?

Or does power constantly go from the socket, into the toaster and out of the ground when something has broken?

Or is it rather basically preventing power from reaching the toaster in case a wire is broken so that it cant get back from the toaster?

In that case, how does the power "know" to not use ground when the toaster is fine? Why doesn't the power just go to the wall socket and then out of the ground all the time?

Sorry but I didn't get much wiser... I knew ground was for protection but I still dont understand how it works.

It's just a safety element. Technically, the toaster doesn't "need" the ground line to function properly, and the wire never gets used except during a fault.

i got that, what im looking to finding out is how it works exactly. why does adding an extra wire help and why doesn't that extra wire always disrupt the flow of power? i thought electricity needed a closed circuit.

if a wire breaks in my toaster so that the power has no way back into the wall socket, does the ground do nothing at all until i touch the toaster and create a connection to the ground with my body?

There are people who boil water on a stove (which takes forever) because their kettles have to be three times less powerful.

No wonder they hate tea.

are britfags really electrocuting themselves so frequently that this matters?

what you talking about ? have you ever steped o an upside down uk plug???

The live and ground wires are never connected under normal circumstances. They only connect if the live wire breaks and starts touching the metal body. During normal operation, the ground wire just drains static electricity so you don't get static shocks from your appliances.

>have to be three times less powerful
>three times less powerful
Let's work that through.
Kettle = 3kW
Three times = 9kW
Less powerful??? 9kW < 3kW???
I see an engineer has joined us to offer expert opinions

you're all plebs

master electrician reporting in. this is how I do it.

Now come along Clark
>Thinking we wouldn't recognise Beverly D'Angelo
>Thinking we wouldn't know that Beverly was Lurleen Lumpkin in the Simpsons