Music is my full time job. ama. Pic related. Any other music fags out there ?

music is my full time job. ama. Pic related. Any other music fags out there ?

what's in the cup?

Ye I got a job as a recording engineer, I'll be honest I was clueless stepping into it, just got it through connection but I now devote my entire being into learning everything about it. Played guitar 10+ years but always assumed any sorta career in music was a pipe dream

Honestly? Laxative tea. Having a hard time.

I played guitar for 10 years and 3 years touring for jazz. Went to college for acoustic and recording engineering. But im more producer than engineering. Although once in a while i get the shitty rappers asking me to mix theyre stuff.

i didn't now piss was a laxative

oops forgot my k

Tastes like piss. It might as well be.

Nice one man, do you think college was worth it? I'm self-teaching as much as possible. Atm all my experience is hands-on and practical. Few questions for you.

>What kinda income do you make and how do you make it?
>Do you own your own studio?
>Ever record in other places? Any tips to make the experience better?
>Got any links to your music?

College is only worth it if you want employers to take you seriously without connection.

I own this sumbitch. Wasnt exoensive to start.

I average out $180 a day 5 days a week. Suck at math. Not much but i like what i do .

I engineer at other places when my clients dont trust their engineers or the studio doesnt have one.

And links to my work will not be disclosed
I dont own any of it.

Expensive*

So people commission you to do tracks for them? How did you get started with that? How much do you charge?

Have any tips for low-budget home studio? You said it wasn't expensive to begin with, what kinda gear did you use?

If i make the music, i.e. guitar drums bass etc, i charge between 50 to 300 depending on work done. Gospel and soul are expensive. For recording, i charge 40 an hour and various discount depending on booking and situation. I do charge taxes however. I am a legitimized business and have to pay taxes unfortunately.

Mac Mini i5 (kek) $500
USED saffire pro 40 interface (200)
Condensor microphone (between 80 to 300) if on budget.

Studio foams look on amazon.

Cheap ass dry wall.

Logic Pro X $200 or crack it..

I didnt get everything in one go. Altogether i mightve spent 2.5k USD. Then again i suck at math.

But i do spend $15 dollars a month on Slate Digital plugins. (Awesome preamp emulation dynamics and eq.)

How do you keep a steady stream of clients to make a living? Do you advertise much or is it reputation / word of mouth

Not entirely...
I'm working as a sound and multimedia producer.
I guess I work with similar hardware as you. Just not connected to music industry.

Good question.
I hired a marketing assistant.
I hired a manager .

Someone else does my social media because i suck at it.

And the manager is just a personality that people like. Im booked about 6 hours a day. Charge 40 an hour. I take home 180 but split the rest with the other two.

If youre an engineer, stick to engineering. Let someone else bring the money in for you.

Thats cool. Movies and stuff ? I barely do any commercials. Only did one Metro PCS commercial.

My manager also takes care of booking and schedules.

I haven't heard of hiring a marketer/manager before, makes sense. If you don't mind could you provide an example of how a marketer would attract clients outside of just facebooking? I have to bring in clients myself and its difficult

Not that lucky :)
But not bad either.
I'm dealing with conferencess and goverment and press events.
Also series ov events for big banking and commercial companies.
So lots of traveling and 5 stars hotels :)
Also $$ is not bad at all.

The marketing does a demographic study of the area. I have a lot of rappers where i am. So everything posted on Instagram, twitter and facebook is hip hop themed. She makes connections with local businesses to help support us and she talks to a lot of people answering questions on social media. We post 3 times a day at certain times to maximize post views. She is also very good at photoshop and is a photographer. She knows absolute 0 on music. But being a girl, the rappers enjoy being around her.

Management is the person they talk to while theyre here. Helps me focus on doing technical stuff like mixing. He is a rapper himself but is a very reputable one. So the clients always show him respect. Big Islander dude. He also brings them water and rolls their blunts. He basically gets paid to get high. And he gets free studio time. Being reputable makes clients want to have his quality of skill.

I would like to do what you do.