Best books to expand my knowledge

Best books to expand my knowledge
>Smart people books
Doesnt matter what subject although I'm into psychology and shit

The Holy Bible

This book alone will change your perspective on yourself and people socially the most... I don't read much books but I've had listened to the audiobook version of this probably 5-7 times already, it is so fucking bluntly true about so many things that once in a while I'll slightly laugh and say wow fucking truth, no other book ever did that shit to me

1984- George Orwell
Animal Farm- George Orwell
The Art of War- Sun Tzu

>psychoLOGy

What do you think about Sigmund Freuds book "The interpretation of dreams"

This is why we can't have nice things

Freud was a raving, cocaine-addled lunatic.
Most of what he thought revolved around strange sexual fetishism/sexual projection.
Not really relevant in any sense to modern psychology.

Don't get too into psychology fam, it's all wishy washy, hippie dippie bullshit subjective "Science"

I'm a senior PSY major and deeply regret swapping to this major from my CHM major :/

Neil DeGrasse Tyson has a new book I might try. Also gonna read Milo's book.
Any other science fields that would be interesting to read about?

Anything by Issac Asimov. Avoid all that Zeitgeist-y conspiracy crackpot shit.

Freud is important. Newton got a lot of shit wrong too but it is still essential to understand his method

So there's no point in reading any of his stuff. Only asking cuz it seemed like a "higher knowledge" type book.

Cont'd;
Modern PSY is all about inclusion, diversity, political advocacy, feminism, and etc.

You don't even need to be right-leaning on political issues to be sickened to death by it.

Studying PSY is for preppy liberals, and girls who don't know what else to major in. It's a catch-all major in most colleges, for the kids who don't make the cut in harder sciences.

If you want to learn about the roots of PSY, get into Philosophy. Read Plato/Aristotle/Aurelius/Etc.

Read classic Russian literature, I highly recommend Dostoyesky. Most of the classic works like Crime and Punishment are psychological thrillers.

Be Here Now, Ram Dass

In 12th grade I had to read a few pages of his book in English class and found it quite interesting

As a biochemistry major.
*points*
HA!
But seriously I feel for you man, and you weren't missing much on this side. Gotta have a phd to even make a small impact for science. It's soul-sucking.

Freud is remarkably important even if you disagree with him, and therefore learning what he actually wrote, which you clearly didnt do, is a good idea.

Of course we all know Jung was better

If we are going with Russian lit, I want to throw in Nabokov

Yeah I'm not trying to get into the leftist garbage. Are there any books that are just facts and not hippie dippie bullshit or do I have to read a textbook

Factbooks are generally textbooks, but reading a textbook can still be great

Sure he's important, just a bit of a rambler... Did a shit load of coke and just went to town speculating.

If you're into Milo, then I assume you also listen to Molyneux, if not I highly recommend anything by him or his podcasts.

Sure there's value in it, but it's a bit like reading the Bible or something..just a bunch of wild theories, most of which make little sense or are absurdly wrong.

>*points*
>HA!
Kys

What'd you expect

I guess I am sort of partial to Freud because I am a classicist and so was he, so you will see a lot of Greek and Roman authors hidden in his ideas

Lol I'm not the psych major. I'll have a salary and won't have to kms, I'll leave that to the unemployable
>99%of people on this board.

Most psychologists hold Freud in high regard, yes. I won't deny that. What I'm trying to say is that most of his work is remarkably unhelpful in learning about psychology..

Jung was bretty great and I would suggest anyone read up on him before Freud any day. Also Titchener/Fechner.

Kyselves

PSY major here.

Going into state troopers in my state after graduation. ;-) Getting 65k after 5yrs.

PSY majors typically don't get jobs using ANYTHING that they've learned, it's more of a meme tbh.
I swapped from CHM bc I couldn't really see myself working indoors in a laboratory for hours and hours every day, if even I were ever able to make a good salary.

In short, money doesn't really matter much once you're ready to start a real life. I'd rather make decent money doing something I enjoy than slave away in research, it's just not interesting to me.

To genuinely succeed in CHM/PHY/etc. or go to Med/Grad school, you have to really want it and have the personality for it. I kinda feel bad for grad schoolies though.

Not trying to shit on the sciences or anything, just saying that most senior PSY students (and humanities ones too for that matter) KNOW that they won't be working in their field most likely.
Clinical PSY P.Hd programs are more exclusive than medschool now.

It's bananas tbh. Shame that so many students get memed into bad degrees :/

Price isn't so great. Saw some on Amazon but they look like they're part of series which I'm not willing to fork over that much cash to read them all.

Do you know of any good books by people who hold similar views to Stephan and Milo? Ben Shapiro has one called brianwashed that I might try but if you know of others, please share

Ah, I can't help you there. Maybe you can borrow/library

Get into politcal podcasts. Start listening to Molyneux when you have time. I always play his podcats while driving/walking at school/gaming/etc.
Very informative stuff, lectures about major historical events etc. He can be a bit cringe at times, but is generally great to listen to.

Or, as I suggested prior, get into Russian lit, or just classics in general. Read Orwell or Rand's shorter works (Anthem is fantasic).

Textbooks are good too, but I take it you're looking for something less stultifying to thumb through.

I usually listen to Stephen Crowder, Gavin McInnes and Milo but I'll give Stephans podcast a try

Read some philosophy. And I mean serious philosophy instead of weird post-modern garbage.

In particular, Aristotle, Descartes, Hume, Hobbes, John Stuart Mill, and Wittgenstein.

>serious philosophy
>John Stuart Mill

I remember when I had just graduated from high school and thought Mill was serious philosophy too

Milo is great and all, but he's not exactly an intellectual in the normal sense of the term, he's more just a comedian. I'm a big fan of his as well though, don't get me wrong XD
Moly is mostly a podcaster, so I've only ever listened and never owned his novels, but his podcasts are basically concise lessons/textbook type material.

Shapiro is good, not sure about his writing. He's an excellent debater but he's a little on the establishment/classical republican side if you know what I mean..

You would probably like the Savage Nation radio show, available on YT every day (Search 'Savage Nation 1 September 2017' or any date, and make sure it's not the fill-in host).

Also check out The Daily Shoah on TRS radio. It's free but has some paywall content. They're a little on the edgy side, like Milo, only they tell a lot more racist jokes and whatnot. It's kind of a mix of comedy and good political discussion.

As far as books go, I can't think of much similar to these guys' style. Just read classics that have philisophical/politcal undertones like Orwell/Dostoyevsky.

Ooooh, also read up on your Camus. It's Frech existentialist lit but damn good, and far shorter than Dostoyevsky's fucking long ass books.

And Check out Jordan B. Petersen, forgot about him.

Speaking of Camus, I'll put in a good word for all the novelist existentialists (as opposed to the dry stuff like Heidegger)

Camus is my top fav. Couldn't really get too into The Stranger but I only ever read it once, and in like 3 days at that. Need to give it a reread.

The Plague was insanely good though, and much much deeper by my estimation. My fav book of all time so far.

I have a few Sartre books lying around but have yet to really dig in. I'd like to get around to Nietzsche and (Dutch guy whose name I forgot).

Kierkegaard that's him

Kierkegaard and Nietzsche have a lot to teach, but aren't always the most fun to read. If you like plays, take a loot at Waiting for Godot by Beckett. In my opinion its the epitomizing existential text

Why wouldn't you consider Milo an intellectual?

Haha, can't stand reading plays honestly XDD, but I'll consider it in the future

He's a smart guy, but he makes his fame by being a living, breathing middle finger to liberal ideas, pop culture, and mainstream media.

I see him as more of a pundit or activist than an intellectual.

Ah well, maybe you could see it performed, but if it isn't for you, it sounds like you have plenty to read anyway

I'll check it out, just never got into reading plays. I remember trying to read the Crucible recently and just couldn't get into the format of it. Reading about the plot online though and might just like this one enough to try it though

I see that as more of a character he puts on trying to put some life into the new generation. Trys to make his work more appealing but you may be right

He certainly plays to the crowd, but I would expect him to be just as flamboyant in his normal life

He's done livestream where he was so normal that it was almost boring. Obviously I haven't met him but judging by what his friends say about him on podcasts he's a normal gay dude who plays into the raging homosexual stereotype