/daily/ - "/daily/ gets banned" edition

Would ya look at that? It's ban o'clock!

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YAsfI2cf7RQ
youtube.com/watch?v=3OprcZGaagQ
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/andromeda-mega-express-orchestra/vula/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ex-eye/ex-eye/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lawrence-english-thor-harris-conor-q-walker/walker-harris-english/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/denis-mpunga-paul-k/criola/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jun-konagaya/memento-mori/
youtube.com/watch?v=G28QuDbUc0g
youtube.com/watch?v=4DFRZ_9FXvs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For da boyz

youtube.com/watch?v=YAsfI2cf7RQ

>Woody Shaw - Blackstone Legacy
Lots of trumpet.

>Robert Turman - Flux
I had some trouble finding this, but I'm glad I did. Soft, plush minimal synths compose the entire album-- first half is more distinct, listen for that alone.

>Of Montreal - The Gay Parade
I take back what I said, about Nickee Coco being too long. Works great in context of the album.

>Mother Falcon - You Knew
A 20 piece orchestra does indie pop. The lyrics aren't too great, but the arrangements and melodies are consistently enjoyable.

>Grace Jones - Hurricane
I thought they were saying "Anime... man eating machine" on Corporate Cannibal. Still, this album is a testament to how big Albarn fucked up in recording only one line from Grace Jones on Humanz.

>Horsepower Productions - In Fine Style
This is a UK garage record, at heart. Wubs are subtle and controlled, and there are some good samples thrown in here, but the first track is the only to stand out for me. Not upset that this may have been one of the inspirations for dubstep as a genre.

>goreshit - semantic compositions on death and its meaning
I dislike Max Richter and the first thing this guy does is mix breakcore with Written on the Sky. Don't know about the sources of the next two tracks, but the formula stays the same: breakcore over modern "feel sad" minimal works.
It's an improvement

>Unison - Unison
Probably the best that Witch House has to offer. Fairly diverse in dance influences, and actually has some similarities to metal.

>Herbie Nichols - Herbie Nichols Trio
The piano here is flatter than I thought it would be, almost sounding like it should be in a different key. In one way, this makes his playing stand out even more, along with Max Roach's titular drumming. In another way, it ends up making the group sound awkward, especially in the first tracks.

>Lolina - Live in Paris
AKA Inga Copeland, a collaborater with Dean Blunt and member of Hype Williams.This is REALLY strange. I can't quite associate it with anything in terms of style, and the choice of using Monopoly as the basis for the performance's presentation doesn't help.

>Claro Intelecto - Reform Club
Not quite as minimal as I was led to believe. Lots of strings and synth pads to fill up spaces normally left open, making this a good starting point for someone not just interested in rhythms alone.

>Chapelier Fou - 613
Kalia outdoes this in consistency. Their sound works better in mini-album format, the pairing of actual strings with slightly archaic electronics.

>Shogun Kunitoki - Tasankokaiku
This is a rock album with its lead guitars replaced with dungeon synths. Not necessarily bad, but felt misaligned.

>Elder - Lore
>Classic/Doom metal/rock??
Well, this is a straight rock record. Thick melodic riffs in 10 minute tracks, with jumps in rhythm. Far too active to be something I could call stoner rock, really. Clean production for Metallica music, not really Psych at all.

>CFCF - On Vacation
Not as lackluster as Colours, but I would only expect someone to like this if they like actual New Age music, or Torn Hawk. Or Tycho.

>Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - Within Mirrors
Paul Clipson made the accompanying video. Serene to watch, but the drone itself unfolds veeeeery slowly and doesn't really connect with the video.

>Rhys Fulber - Realism
Four long-ish tracks with industrial and EBM pulls on them.

>Ulan Bator - Ego:Echo
French post rock, with Michael Gira on backing vocals. Nothing against it, and the French does debilitate my understanding of it (sorry, Gira), but this did nothing interesting.

>Don Caballero - American Don
The progression on many of these songs are kept under complete control, but there was never any moment that jumped out at me as interesting beyond the playing proficiency. Even less interesting than American Football.

>Variety Lights - Central Flow
Really irritating vocals, somehow manages to be unlikable psych pop. Dropped it from a 4 after further re-listening to it, hahah wow how did this turn out to be so awful?

>sr/zcs
>Peven Everett
can't find these. X

>woody shaw
>lots of trumpet
Is this a joke or are you a retard

Yeah but think about it like this. If your so risk averse, how are you going to take the steps and make the decisions that make a man win in life. The risks that keep the economy going, the risks that make for great stories, adventures and so forth. Every cool thing that could approach you you'll say no. And it's not just you its a large section of an entire generation. Wasting away in their cubicles counting down the time until the day of their death..

>all those reviews
who tf r u,,, fish?

also Gay Parade is Of Montreal's best. Super lackluster band after Hissing Fauna imo

Various Artists - West Side Story (1961)
>show tunes, film soundtrack

What lies behind the awful performances here is a collection of truly good songs, composed well by Bernstein and boasting some witty, memorable lyrics from Sondheim. These might be great characteristics, but it is nearly impossible to get past the awful performances. Musicals call for over-the-top, theatrical singing, but that doesn't necessary imply that the singing has to be so affected and strained that it becomes flat-out irritating. The addition of dialogue from the film certainly doesn't help either, unnecessarily muddling the album to the point of absurdity. "Maria" stands out as an absolutely beautiful track, the rest is weak, even if the core components are solid.

2.0+

"Blue" Gene Tyranny - Out of the Blue (1977)
>art pop, progressive pop

I can think of few albums that deserve the moniker of "art" pop more than this one. The first three tracks are certainly poppy in nature, with a few bends towards prog jams here and there, all paving the way for the colossal title track. This title track consists of vast, swirling soundscaping coupled with some of the most beguiling spoken word I've ever heard on record. Sheff is an alum of Ashley's Private Parts, and the title track is very obviously its companion piece, in the best way imaginable. Aside from some less mind-bending moments in the middle two tracks, this is pretty much just as cool as you made it out to be, blapp.

3.0+

Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet
I bet autism feels like this album sounds.
2.5+

Deafheaven - SUN BAT HER
The opening track, 'Dream House,' is something so incredibly steeped in melodrama I can't help but love it, the cathartic repeated phrase "I WANT TO DREAM" is just sublime in an inexplicable way along with the lead guitar.
The albums pattern of inserting more atmospheric cuts between their 10+ minute long black-gays works well enough to make the "actual" songs more impactful by contrast.
These things said, holy shit do they fall off after 'Dream House.' Their one-note post rock's main saving grace is the drumming, and I swear 'Vertigo' rips a guitar part straight from GY!BE's '09-15-00.'
3.0-

I don't understand what this pasta implies

:•)
i am u now k bye
Fuck off

how do I become more critical of music? I feel like I like everything? this is my current rating of the Sup Forumscore chart so far

realize how special 9s and 10s should be. They should only be given out to the very best. An okay album should get a 5

Young Thug - Beautiful Thugger Girls (2017)
>trap rap, pop rap, contemporary R&B, southern hip hop

Save for some weirdly good country rap songs, this is standard trap stuff. It's got more of a poppy, R&B flavor than anything else of Thugger's, which sometimes works very well, as there's a level of focus here that's not present on Barter 6 or JEFFERY. While there's more focus, the emphasis on pop songwriting sucks the flavor and individuality out of Thugger's sound, making a collection of songs that wouldn't seem out of place on a Drake album.

2.0+

Converge - I Can Tell You About Pain (2017)
>metalcore, mathcore

Oh man, this has me hyped for their next full length. Age hasn't hurt a single bit of Converge's urgency or technical prowess, both displayed wonderfully on "Eve", one of the band's best songs. The title track is a decent, totally forgettable little post-hardcore exercise, but it's the sprawling "Eve", with its tastes of sludge metal and prog, that make this EP worthwhile, and arguably essential.

Rex Orange County - Apricot Princess (2017)
>contemporary R&B

3/4 decent, totally forgettable R&B, 1/4 absolutely incredible indie rock/pop. Being as young as he is (he's a year older than me, fuck), O'Connor's love songs come from a totally authentic place, and his vocals are filled with wonder and joy simply towards the feeling of love, it's really contagious. This authenticity in the vocals and lyrics can't excuse the basic, bland R&B songs, though. They're pleasant and unobtrusive, and that's the problem. It's the problem especially since the more rock-tinged tracks here show another side of O'Connor's sound that's much more interesting. "Never Enough" is a pounding, exuberant track that perfectly describes teenage love. I can't recommend that track enough, the rest of the album I'm more mixed on.

2.5+

dream house really is a beautiful track

realize how, because you said so?

uhhh u asked
if you don't think they should be super special, that's fine. just don't come here asking how to change if you don't want to

Jesus Christ!

What genre of music is this? Any good albums that sound like it? youtube.com/watch?v=3OprcZGaagQ

discogs and rym say Progressive House
no idea about that, just look for DJ Mixes or other artists from the labels they release on

Good morning /daily/
Music now. Listenalong I guess and also USPM.

Saw him live, he's lots of fun.

I was assuming it would be like R&B or progressive gospel or something.

Realize it by knowing what album had a huge impact on your taste, or what album you'd probably never get sick of. One of my 10/10's got me to splurge older progressive electronic music and obscure labels to find something equally as atmospheric, and Replica was what introduced me to the more experimental side of modern music.

but also that's completely coincidental and doesn't mean those albums are better than others

平沢進 - 救済の技法 (Kyuusai no Gihou) (1998)
>progressive pop, art pop, progressive electronic

Simultaneously forward-thinking and just a little bit dated, but all really, really cool. Hirasawa's pop here might not be that incredible (despite the production), but his electronic/ambient forays are amazing. Some of the most evocative, densely orchestrated ambient is on display here, perfectly conjuring futuristic city displays, despite the relatively simplistic MIDI instrumentation. Super cool, super crazy.

3.0+

I'm not saying they're better, I'm giving the spot of 10/10 a different meaning: I'm giving a 10 to albums that I not only highly enjoyed during their entirety, by went beyond to affect me personally. I'm not objectively saying they're better than every other album, I'm weighing albums with both personal bias and objective traits.

>how do I become more critical of music? I feel like I like everything?
that happens to everyone at first, eventually you'll start realizing music is bad

you have 105 ratings so dont worry about it

sure but if you did this consequentially for all rating slots what kind of mess would that be?

>objective traits

guess the album

So me and a friend will record a pilot for a music podcast (I know, I know) about the new Slowdive, anything worth of notice I should be reading before to not talk shit?

Some Strokes or Ryan Adams album?

is this metalgaze?

nice review for out of the blue, dude. the third track never fails to make me smile.

No Time To Chill

wtf this is great
do i like emo now?

Was Nickee Coco from that song tourney? Meaning I should have won? >:0

tell me im cool!

"No it was a song tourney, no album context" ugh fine
Exactly correct on OM

Lame.

fuck.

>lackluster after Hissing Fauna
b-but Paralytic Stalks....

all about the bass

Just bought tickets for Death Grips next week, what's true about the memes?

I don't really get what's so great about Forca Bruta to be honest, maybe Jorge Ben is just not for me. Btw I listened to most of the stuff from my 2017 tourney (favorite so far is probably Andromeda Mega Express Orchestra, thanks Accel), but I'll relisten to everything before I decide who advances.

this man knows not happiness

Happiness is a meme anyway

hahahah blaze it

It would be an rym profile
Are you saying that every 5 star album you've picked is deserving of it, unquestionably

please consider the following

(1) ask for my thoughts on albums
(2) suggest what album I listen to next

okay there's no way that a young thug album could be better than tape one

ouch

MARK
AND
MARK
AND

Can someone give me 2017 recs?
I'm into Pixies, Sonic Youth, Pavement, Charles Mingus, Mac DeMarco, Ryo Fukui, Brockhampton, Kumpania Algarraza, Steely Dan, Pere Ubu, Vulfpeck.
Extra points if its not american
Extra points if it is a non-ango language

no

listen to portal next.
how was cold summer?

>new album
aoty 2017, this is not a drill

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/andromeda-mega-express-orchestra/vula/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ex-eye/ex-eye/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lawrence-english-thor-harris-conor-q-walker/walker-harris-english/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/denis-mpunga-paul-k/criola/

The Mountain Goats - Goths (no bonus points there, sorry)
Daniel Tovatt - Silent Swans

wait shit it's coming out tomorrow?? fuck me

I'll be flying two two-hour flights tomorrow. Can anyone recommend some good acoustic indie/folk albums? I like listening to Passenger's music but I haven't found any other artists which are quite the same. I hope to fill my flights with new music.

Radical Face - Ghost
Iron + Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
Flotation Toy Warning - Bluffer's Guide to the Flight Deck

thugger is the greatest musical genius of this generation pleb

listen to sparrow oratorium btw

Thanks brother, previews sound good, grabbing the albums now.

welcome. hope yr flight is enjoyable.

Has been a busy weekend

fuck

thanks bruddas, what would you like to happen today

get some work done. start dubbing some tapes.

All right then, your work is going to be done in more than optimal terms, and i'm going to try to help you with the tapes.

This is really fucking good
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jun-konagaya/memento-mori/

thnx

>Television - Marquee Moon (1977)

This is an album you have to deliberately separate from its reputation. It can't be overstated just how influential this sound has been on indie rock for generations, and an untold amount of successful bands in the past 10 years have more or less replicated this same formula--conscientiously pretty and emotional instrumentals one wouldn't typically find in true punk rock backed by vocals delivered seemingly with some vague degree of irony. These guys rightfully get credibility for their influence on so much music, and it's a shame they haven't really seen more popularity outside collectors and the internet literati. I also want to say those who decry dad rock are closer to an appreciation for it than they might expect if they dig this album, which is a beautiful thing.

This is some deceptively accessible and plainly enjoyable music that feels as close to any other popular music from the 70s as it does punk rock, which is often just too easy to pinpoint by vocal delivery. The vocals here are unfortunately a weak point, as they do come across as Mick Jagger worship, and only occasionally have a discernible and composed melody. They're not too bad, but they're just outshined by some deliberately and dynamic and thorough compositions all throughout that even get stretched out at points. Listen close: it's closer to some jam stuff than punk rock at these moments.
7.5/10

that's a prog album

is there anything similar i've listened twice today

their second album

Wow I Didn't Think of That

Gonna start this after I find time to finish the 3 remaining monoliths on the mucore chart

wow, I started these almost exactly a year ago

so this still exists

only the drums are audible and ride's out of breath 50% of the time but the audience hype's worth every cent
you're cool

thank you welcome back

oh hey welcome back

Cat Chamber - Demos [Letov]

Sorry man this is just trash. Rightly called demos as it's just some recordings of a father playing guitar with his smol daughter singing/shrieking over it, there's no depth to this, I see no reason as to why anybody would listen to it other than for pure novelty. Children of sunshine did this so much better. Didn't bother finishing.

(The numbers on the chart represent the position the participant is in and are not the ratings)

>still
/daily/'s going to be the last thread standing at the end of time on Sup Forums

just passing thru desu, i can't really be arsed to listen to too much new music nowadays. have i missed any hot memes or has /daily/ returned to being all serious n stuff in the meantime?

like 5 people got banned from rym for arguing with qwerty100

i got banned for being a baby

aqam came back with a newfound appreciation for trap

pretty much every listenalong has been across the board panned

new oxbow

eurobeat

tourneys made a big comeback

and we did that thing where everybody impersonates a trip a bunch of times

>like 5 people got banned from rym for arguing with qwerty100
lmao
sounds like i haven't missed a thing other than that
how's life been treating you?

Can someone please post one of those old templates? The one for the month?

>Faust IV
>Out To Lunch
>Model Room
nice chart. that album with the white boarder and wires looks cool.
i missed thoughts on Sings. how was it?

just poppin' in real quick to ask
can anyone recommend albums similar to this?
somebody else said to try Faust's s/t record but it felt a little to spacey for me.

youtube.com/watch?v=G28QuDbUc0g

i thought the normal, soft vocal jazz tracks were kind of lame, but the BLACKBLACKBLACK track was cool. Can see where diamanda galas got her inspiration.

not really similar in sound but this record reminds me a lot of danse manatee by anco

danse manatee is really good. i love the drumming. isn't panda bear the guy that does the percussion on anco records?

>i thought the normal, soft vocal jazz tracks were kind of lame
that's a shame. i liked how they stood on their own and especially how they contrasted the b side. they have a spacious quality to them i haven't heard in much other vocal jazz.
most of her other stuff is like BLAAAAAAAAACK if you're interested in that.

i really cant think of anything that matches the sound of this record, its really one of a kind.
maybe check out the dead c? amm/other free improv? other no wave stuff? thats all i can think of.

youtube.com/watch?v=4DFRZ_9FXvs

oh, oh, destroy all monsters as well

hm. this is kinda good. i like the variety of instruments and stuff but i'm looking for something a little more creative and dense. anything else by this band maybe?

yep he's the drummer on p much all anco stuff. danse manatee is mad underrated, with meet the light child being one of the best tracks in their discography.

also something I want to share about twin infinitives: I think what really made the record for me was it ending with "NY Avenue Bridge". It brings a sense of closure and it really sticks all of the pieces together. I get that same feeling from Bring Me Coffee or Tea in Tago Mago but here it really puts things in a new perspective.

idk why but the soft jazz pieces were kind of grating because I always expected her voice to go some steps deeper, don't know how to really explain. It was in a way keeping me blueballed. Will check out her other stuff if I ever crave freakouts like the bleeeck stuff.

snuff jazz

never heard that complaint, but that's interesting.
i kind of liked how restrained it felt. it felt like it was being preformed perfectly, but something was still uncomfortably off.

Old Time Relijun - Witchcraft Rebellion
Hella - Church Gone Wild/Chirpin' Hard
are kinda similar

for sure
i never got why people absolutely shit on danse manatee. i mean critics unanimously were giving it around a 3/10, which isn't fair at all. it shows off some killer drumming chops and incredibly creative and manic use of electronics. there really isn't a drab moment on all 45-ish minutes of the thing.

also! i just remembered pic related exists which is extremely similar to twin infinitives. so i guess i just answered my own question. this quite an overlooked album in their discog.