Favorite jazz albums?

Favorite jazz albums?

Looking for more jazz to listen to, I mostly just have fusion but I'm open to any type. Just listened to pic related and it absolutely blew me away

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews,ss.rd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews,ss.rd

Love that album too OP, listened to it today

If you want some more contemporary jazz check out the 5 star ratings on freejazzblog.org. They've rated great stuff that isn't even on RYM

ah um > the black brady and sinner saint

Coltrane - Meditations
Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satch
Pharoah Sanders - Village of the Pharoahs
Archie Shepp - The Magic of Juju
Ornette Coleman - Dancing in your Head
Ronald Shannon Jackson - Live at the Caravan of Dreams
Rahshaad Roland Kirk - Blacknuss
Miles Davis - On the Corner
Curtis Amy - Mustang
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

Arguably true, but I find Black Saints polarizing-ness leads it to be a very intriguing album that just amplifies its legendary status. Everyone loves Ah Um even people who don't like jazz.

It's great how helpful jazz fans are, if you started one for rock like this they'd be throwing autism fits about subgenres

this is me over at if you want some specific recs, give me albums you really dig or sounds in jazz you wanna get into. I'm way deep into some of the real avant garde styles since i got into jazz some 3 years ago workin' at my record store

My friend BSSL is a godly album but if you want to hear the true potential of mingus you must listen to pic

A lot of good stuff itt
also check out pic related and John Zorn in general guy is a madman

you should listen to Anna Hogberg Attack and Alexander von Schlippenbach if you've never tried them out

Clifford Brown and Max Roach - s/t is one of my all time favorites

my nigga

isn't that album just called "Study in Brown" or is there another one with them?

I'll check them out user ty

fantastic record

I prefer him when he's on Milestone in the 70s but he's really just underrated in general

Get Up With It > Bitches Brew

Why are you plebs so predictable? Even In a Silent Way and Jack Johnson are better than BB.

>Get Up With It
>not On the Corner or Aghartha
heh

Triumvirate of holy spirit music

Coltrane - Ascension
Ayler - Holy Ghost
Sanders - Karma

this thread was good until you showed up

>Even In a Silent Way
Well it would be, it's his best

Get Up With It is worse than Bitches Brew though

I'm not disagreeing with those selections, it just pisses me off that jazz plebs overlook Get Up With It everytime for stalr shit like Bitches Brew.

He Loved Him Madly will never be topped.

Fight me IRL

I dont think you guys realize that Porgy And Bess is one of if not Miles' best album

From what I've heard

On The Corner = Porgy And Bess > Get Up With It > Bitches Brew > Miles Smiles > Nefertiti > In A Silent Way > Jack Johnson > Round About Midnight > Sketches Of Spain > Milestones

>no Filles de Killimanjaro
>no Ascenseur soundtrack
>no Aghartha
user, I...

again, thats just from what Ive heard

>claiming a best one when you haven't even heard some of the actual best
WHAT
ARE
YOU
DOING

>very limited amount of improvisation with non-existent amounts of melodic/harmonic development to make up for it
>simplified grooves that take away any of the more subtle/dynamic aspects of jazz drumming (even though many examples in jazz show you can have both)
>large arrangement that weaves in parts like a first year music school kiddie
>a "variety" of different parts that play too close together instead of being more syncopated, thus not being taken full advantage of to create dance rhythms nor actual depth/complexity

It's literally outdated (even at the time), cliche dance music with no depth. The 60s equivalent of The Epic but not as bloated. Note how this album wasn't even that highly acclaimed when it came out; Downbeat gave it a 4/5 when just about any relatively decent record can nab a 5/5 from them. The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady didn't get praise until later by people who hadn't listened to more than a handful of jazz records and were too casual to fully digest the more intricate improvisations in real jazz music but also couldn't handle the depth in compositions of classical music.

>very limited amount of improvisation with non-existent amounts of melodic/harmonic development to make up for it
>simplified grooves that take away any of the more subtle/dynamic aspects of jazz drumming (even though many examples in jazz show you can have both)
>large arrangement that weaves in parts like a first year music school kiddie
>a "variety" of different parts that play too close together instead of being more syncopated, thus not being taken full advantage of to create dance rhythms nor actual depth/complexity

It's literally outdated (even at the time), cliche dance music with no depth. The 60s equivalent of The Epic but not as bloated. Note how this album wasn't even that highly acclaimed when it came out; Downbeat gave it a 4/5 when just about any relatively decent record can nab a 5/5 from them. The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady didn't get praise until later by people who hadn't listened to more than a handful of jazz records and were too casual to fully digest the more intricate improvisations in real jazz music but also couldn't handle the depth in compositions of classical music.

Study in Brown is different

dont believe this guy OP, hes the Master Bait-er

this is a scaruffi tier post

sky dive by freddie hubbard, in a silent way, light as a feather, and enigmatic ocean are some of my favorites so far, but I'm trying to branch out of fusion

I really liked black saint obviously

also I really like the sound of batsumi s/t

Steve Grossman - Some Shapes to Come
Chick Corea - Trio Music
Art Blakey - Orgy in Rhythm
also really check out some of Miles' stuff once he starts leaving the Bitches Brew and goes more bonkers like Aghartha and On the Corner

also be sure to check out Archie Shepp's Impulse stuff

this is a pasta at this point

great recs man, I got a whole list now from this thread