I'm so tired of seeing this overpriced the garbage touted as the next revolution in music making technology...

I'm so tired of seeing this overpriced the garbage touted as the next revolution in music making technology. Every five seconds some hipster with no musical background or talent watches a Red Means Recording video and thinks that if they drop 900 bucks on this thing that they're going to be the next fucking Gold Panda (or whatever they listen to).

Listen you fucks, I know you're out there. It won't work. After a month and the third time you've taken it to the little boutique tea cafe you go to, the novelty will wear off and you will be exactly at the point that you started at, zero musical experience and probably shitty music taste to boot. Stop kidding yourself, music takes a long ass time. No piece of gear is going to give you that time on a silver platter. Yes it's a convenient piece of gear, but it's really best in the hands of an informed and capable musician on the road. You're not a producer, you're a fucking wannabe narcissist who adopts a new persona and career every five years, or however long it takes you to get sick of the hard work that it takes to actually accomplish something great and move on to something else trendy. Why not dust off that old SLR you bought back in 2006, or go re-enroll in some of those printmaking classes you were so into a couple years ago?

Just sick of the hype surrounding this company and this gear. Not that it's a bad piece of gear, it's very well-designed, but I think it's more of a crutch to lean on for aspiring producers than something that's actually going to help their creativity and skill.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=otZcY51tvDw
m.youtube.com/watch?v=LX7RPfNhC64
m.youtube.com/watch?v=0WtVyKvkAG4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't know what this thing is, but I feel you op. Fuck those people

Yeah it's fucking shit, like an overpriced Casio only for Hipsters

wish they'd just release all their dumb hardwares as iOS apps

I'm so tired of seeing this overpriced the garbage touted as the next revolution in music making technology. Every five seconds some homie with no musical background or talent listens to Donuts and thinks that if they drop 3,000 bucks on this thing that they're going to be the next fucking J Dilla (or whatever they listen to).

Listen you fucks, I know you're out there. It won't work. After a month and the third time you've taken it to ya boy's house, the novelty will wear off and you will be exactly at the point that you started at, zero musical experience and probably shitty music taste to boot. Stop kidding yourself, music takes a long ass time. No piece of gear is going to give you that time and experience on a silver platter. Yes it's a convenient piece of gear, but it's really best in the hands of an informed and capable musician. You're not a producer, you're a fucking wannabe momma's boy who adopts a new persona and career every five years, or however long it takes you to get sick of the hard work that it takes to actually accomplish something great and move on to something else trendy. Why not dust off those Air Jordans you bought back in 2002, or go re-enroll in some of those poetry classes you were so into a couple years ago?

Meanwhile it's at the center of NIN's live rig

I like how every time someone thinks they've figured it all out and crafted the perfect takedown, it turns out to be a retarded mess of bad assumptions and straw man arguments addressed to no one in particular.

Yeah, case in point.

damn op that was savage

well at least it's fun to play.

It's an OP-1, a synthesizer, a drum machine, sampler, and sequencer package all wrapped up in a $900 package sold by a company called teenage engineering. It's experiencing a bit of a revolution right now, the way that TB303's got really big in the 90s and early 2000s, or, as one poster lampooned a couple of posts as one poster lampooned a couple of posts up, the way AKAI MPC's got really big for undeground hip-hop production in the late 90's and 2000's. It's just another piece of gear, a good one, but one, like the gear a lot of people buy, something that beginner musicians tend to see as some kind of holy Grail that will make them better musicians. For all of the OP's ranting, I do agree with him a little bit, but I don't see that as a very big a deal. These trends come and go.

at least post a video of this fucking thing so we can see wtf you're talking about, you clueless ranter.
I'm not going to google this shit, but if you post a link I'll look at it. I'll check back in a few hours and if you've posted a link I'll watch. Otherwise, I'm reading what is ostensibly a critique of an electronic something but really sounds more like a rant inspired by losing your gf to a hipster.

I swear to god if I hear this mantra repeated by one of you brainless fucks one more goddamn time, I'm going to hang myself out of my apartment window with piano wire. So what if it is fun to play? Is music ALWAYS supposed to be fun? Have you ever tried actually playing a real Instrument? The fun is supposed to come after years of practice when it becomes second nature to you, not a little device with quirky graphics and functionality that distracts you at every turn, the perfect gadget for this hyperactive generation.

I prefer this

m.youtube.com/watch?v=otZcY51tvDw

Another great example of hipster gear bullshit. How about you actually learn how to make lush pads yourself instead of shelling out however much money this fucking thing costs just so you can noodle round with it for five hours at a time?

You must love these then eh

Nigga, I busk everywhere. Thing paid for itself

ha

Autechre use these in their live performances, enough said.

well at least it's fun to play.

[citation needed]

Can you make an actual point instead of just impotently tard raging about things that you imagine hipsters do?

hijacking this thread:
redpill me on Push 2
>unnecessary waste of money or godsent?

I'll admit that I lust pretty hard after this thing. It looks like fun, and I get the appeal, but let's be honest. This is a $500 piece of gear, tops. Probably more like $400. I can't justify shelling out fucking 1k for a beefed up Casio SK when I can already do everything it does in Ableton Live anyway. Maybe if I were rich or at least had a full time job, but in my current situation, no way.

lol i actually am at a music degree

[lies detected]

if you're an ableton guy you should have one. why don't you have one? just look at it

source?

cause I have a midi keyboard and I have a hard time shelling out 500 bucks for something I might be able to do with a midi keyboard

>tfw you'd have to live off rice and sardines for a few weeks to afford one
>tfw you're considering it

whats a good entry lvl equipment i should buy then?
cheaper wuld be cool

have u ever had fun

I tired it and I hate it's UI I'm sure it's easy to learn the the fucking thing is so small and you have to screen switch so much I'd rather just have a full set up

i guess it depends how you use ableton, i think it's perfect as a studio tool. i sucked it up and bought an octatrack and i barely use ableton anymore so idk

what about a personal computer

critter and guitari organelle is half the price

hmmm I'm about to make a bad decision

OP is too salty but I kind of agree. I predict that 90% would get bored with it after a few months and eventually forget about it.

Fuck modular synths too. Every single motherfucker using one is doing these lazy post minimalist sequences or babies first techno. It's like they listened to Terry Riley or Klaus Schulze then forgot that they were playing over the loops.

word, homie

get an old apc and a shitload of m4l plugins and you'll have something approximating a push

except it will suck

I actually wanted to buy me a roland system 8 to play around but this thing seems like a lot of fun too. wat do

You can make something good with a modular if you record source material and multitrack it and then carefully edit and arrange it into a composition. But modular people like to emphasize performance because being careful and thoughtful isn't any fun.

I think something like Reaktor or Max/MSP is a much better way to go if you want the flexibility that modulars offer.

if you are a good musician and you love being creative and discovering things you will find a lot of use for it

if not you wont

op-1 is a toy, buy a system-8, right now

lmao people bash the other artists mentioned but namedrop Autechre and it's OH NO MUH PATRICIAQN BLEEPS WHERR EVIDENCE????

stfu op

Because NIN is in deep with the shill crowd

who is playing over the loops? the motherfuckers or riley and schulze?

but Riley music is improvised.

you talk as if you can't be careful and thoughtful when improvising.

It's more that you can't do very much as a solo artist when improvising. You don't have anywhere near the same power as someone who is composing intentionally. You only have two hands, so you're extremely restricted.

And yeah I know Vangelis can improvise a fucking symphony, but you're not Vangelis. And he uses a shit ton of gear. And you're not Klaus Schulze either.

Honestly I had been looking at one of these but good damn that price. Rather just get a cheap mixer and do no input mixing shit

OP here, great example of this right here in this Ishome interview:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=LX7RPfNhC64

Pretty sure she used the modular in that video for the lead synth in Ken Tavr around 1:56 in the song. Tucking gorgeous synth sound, lush gorgeous sound in the whole track too:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=0WtVyKvkAG4

That shit is 6 years old. Get a Korg Minilogue and a Pocket Operator if you like Teenage Engineering so much.

all these poor fags

>not wanting to waste money makes you poor

fake news

I love the design and portability of this thing, but the price/value ratio is a turn-off. They are only able to sell it for the "coolness" of it.
The OP-1 is like an iPhone. Miles behind the competition technically but it's got that one feel to it so it's trendy. You pay 900$ for the status and the possiblity of making cool videos, basically.
Like the anons above say, there's a million better alternatives. The Roland System 8 costs a 1/3 more and it has 20 times the features.
Korg also has an app out for 15$ with which you can make some killer shit on par (if not better) than the OP-1.

AE have sold all of their gear and only program with max/msp on laptops now. Source: their live shows and RA interviews.

I'm so tired of seeing this overpriced the garbage touted as the next revolution in music making technology. Every five seconds some lad with no musical background or talent listens to Phuture and thinks that if they drop 3,000 bucks on this thing that they're going to be the next fucking Aphex Twin (or whatever they listen to).

Listen you fucks, I know you're out there. It won't work. After a month and the third time you've taken it to your buddies place, the novelty will wear off and you will be exactly at the point that you started at, zero musical experience and probably shitty music taste to boot. Stop kidding yourself, music takes a long ass time. No piece of gear is going to give you that time and experience on a silver platter. Yes it's a convenient piece of gear, but it's really best in the hands of an informed and capable musician. You're not a producer, you're a wannabe autist who adopts a new persona and career every five years, or however long it takes you to get sick of the hard work that it takes to actually accomplish something great and move on to something else trendy. Why not dust off those VST you bought back in 2002, or go re-enroll in some of those Drum classes you were so into a couple years ago?

God, can you imagine being this guys kid?

it pays for itself poorfag