What is the saddest thing you've ever read on a tombstone?

What is the saddest thing you've ever read on a tombstone?

Checked

Nothing.

>checked

that's actually one of the saddest thing

My childs name.

For sale: Baby shoes, never worn.

Charlie Sheppard (fake name)
June 1983 - August 1983

Settle down satan, also checked. I think the stones that hit me most were in Atlanta Georgia. They'd been worn smooth leaving no legacy, no acknowledgement, just a grave marker.

OP

The saddest two words in the English language, 'if only...'

I share the feels. We had my daughter cremated though, as that was her wish.

Yep Yep Yep

My brother has been dead over a year, his headstone is still blank.

why tho?

Sausage.....because I like pepperoni on my tombstone

My brother's name
1995-2007

fuck

I used to work at a place that made memorials and the epitaph on one of them was, "Never, EVER, shake a baby.".

It wasnt really written on but among a load of "normal" looging tombstones i saw one in the shape of those wooden block that toddlers play with, I couldn't read it but the exterior was enough

Looking*

Poorly lived,
Poorly died,
Poorly buried,
and nobody cried.

I also want to point out this is one of the most appropriate threads for satanic trips

rip ducky

"I told you I was sick"

"Here i sit broken hearted. Came to shit but just farted."

Dang.
Checked

Reply to this tombstone or your mom comes back.

She was like murdered by a relative or something too, right? Very sad

Underrated, I guess

my name

kek, thank you.

my wishes have come true piece of shit

Kek. Ill have that written in my tombstone

dubs checkem

In high school I had a job mowing lawn at a huge cemetery. I remember this one stone from the 1930s that literally said "killed by auto".

Family plot, dad is already there but mom keeps putting off dealing with my brother's

Joel Chandler Harris 1848-1908

JCH was a wildly popular author in the mid-late 1800s. He authored a tom of books. Most widely known & loved were the Br're Rabbit & Umcle Remus tales. The inscription on his headstone was from the Uncle Temis tales. He was the most popular author of the latter half of the 19th century. Much more so than Mark Twain, who's celebrity vaulted to eternsl fame, due to his national speaking tours. Twain invited Harris to accompany him on the tour, where he would have accumulated a vast fortune, and ever lasting fame, but Harris declined due to a severe speech impediment. His popularity pretty much vanished in the mid-1950s when Disney made the movie, Song of the South, and a campaign against him started due to Muh Racism. Twain is still remembered today for his use of the dreaded N-word in his famous books.

About two years ago I collected about 9 of his first edition books on Georgia History, mainly focusing on books he wrote related to the civil war. I went to Westview Cemetery in Atlanta to see his grave, and when I read it, it hit me like a thunderbolt that he took the shame of his handicap to his grave.

>The inscription reads:
"I seem to see before me the smiling faces of thousands of children—some young and fresh, and some wearing the friendly marks of age, but all children at heart—and not an unfriendly face among them. And out of the confusion, and while I am trying hard to speak the right word, I seem to hear a voice lifted above the rest, saying “You have made some of us happy.” And so I feel my heart fluttering and my lips trembling, and I have to bow silently and turn away, and hurry back into the obscurity that fits me best".

Saddest thing I ever read on a tombstone

I saw a tombstone in the town I live in that was for a baby that died when it was only a few days old...

I feel for you Fam. Seeing my brother's name on his marker sucks. I miss him every day ... 1970-2002.

faggot

>here I lie, glum and morose. They pulled the plug while I was comatose
>here I lie, less than fine: paid for oak they gave me pine
>now I'm dead. Took a chance: tried to fart and shit my pants
>here I lie down in the dumps, no insurance to check those lumps
>here I lie sad and dejected: helicopter seats shouldn't be ejected

kek those trips are so fitting

how did you find my future gravestone

Underrated

This user just won the thread

yeah her dad

I recently drove down to Columbus, GA to visit the grave of Lizzie Rutherford. 1833-1873. She was responsible for the idea set forth to the Ladies Memorial Association, later the United Daughters of the Confederacy, to erect statues honoring the Confederate Civil War Dead. Those monuments are being torn down today. I put flowers on her grave & thanked her for what she did.

What was her motivation for it? Personally I think stuff honoring the confederacy should be removed, but I'm curious why they were put up so long after the civil war in the first place.

You are a sick dude, my sir

cunt

She also came up with the idea of Memorial Day, later changed to Confederate Memorial Day, when the Yankees liked the idea so much that they co-opted the holiday.

The idea was set-forth in 1866. The Soldiers Aid Society & Ladies Memorial Association oversaw the process of digging up hundreds of thousands of shallow battlefield graves, and reinterring the dead in proper cemeteries. Their motivation for the monuments were to commemorate the gruesome work they undertook.

"If you're reading this I'm haunting you"

From Les Miserables

Now granted, monuments were erected long after she was dead & gone, but it was her idea to erect monuments to commemorate their work, and the idea spread like wildfire to LMA's all over the South.

honestly a better post than the rest of this thread. here's a (you) for your troubles

Saddest grave I've seen is no grave. My sister died when I was a kid, we had no money so she was buried in a potter's field (government mass graves for unclaimed/unknown/poor bodies) No marker or anything.

Sad, in the sense that someone thought this was a reasonable thing to put on a grave. I grew up down the street from this fool and it was only a matter of time before he ended up in an early grave.

shit

Died on his birthday? What happened?

"Gone Fishing"
Brought my own worms

nigger

Was alcohol involved?

"I told you I was sick"

did he try to fly?

lul

Tonight I was driving home from a road trip and I went by the house of a chick I had a one night stand with a while ago. I had just broken up with my girlfriend and wanted a rebound fuck. This was back in 2013.

Anyway, it got me thinking about her so I googled her with the info I had. I didn't even know her last name. I found out she killed herself in 2014. Also found out her family had a gofundme to buy her a headstone, and they're still about 3000 dollars short, so she doesn't have a headstone.

Feels weird.

I think it was suicide but it could have simply been a drug overdose. I tried to stay the fuck away from any knowledge of him and his fucking family tbh.

A few years before he died I opened the newspaper and he was mentioned. A guy had gotten arrested for stabbing him, after they had gotten in an argument over- wait for this- "whether the world was round."

Fucking idiot. Literally anything could have been true regarding his death and it would have been equally believable. Only wonder is it took as long as it did.

How does that work when your 3 year old gofundme is short money. Don't you think they got it done by now?

Also is that shit really that expensive. 3 grand plus for a damn headstone?

Just because they're from the losing side doesn't mean they weren't Americans that died for something they believed in.

Has to be a scam by the family. My aunt is a sales rep for a granite company that sells headstones, you can get one for well under 3 grand.

>Just because they're from the losing side doesn't mean they weren't Americans that died for something they believed in.

>Americans

They died in a war in which they had proclaimed themselves not to be Americans

Confederate States of AMERICA. They were Americans who rejected the government of that time, not America itself.

My dad had a friend who had a rough life. His family pretty much turned their backs on him because he was a drunk. Before he died, he had a tombstone made for himself with the epitaph: "Unloved, Abandoned, Forgotten" on it. Caused quite a stir in the little town...

looks like it's time for two retards to argue about some stupid fucking bullshit that doesn't matter

A persons a person, no matter how small

When I read that at a child's grave I almost cried

>They were Americans who rejected the government of that time, not America itself.

so they were just going to wait 4 more years for the next election? Idiot

No idea. I got the impression they didn't have a lot of money. I'd guess she probably doesn't have one still, and people lost interest in donating. It's still up tho.

Damn. Sorry bro.

"Our hearts are with you forever, Love, Mommy and Daddy"
9 year old girl.

I knew a kid like that in HS.
A year or two out of HS he got arrested for holding up the local small town 7/11. I wrote him off after that.

The dad shot her and her mom in the head then lit the whole place on fire. Shitty huh? Yup yup yup.

They rejected the entire system dumbass. They didn't think the South was fairly represented in federal government. Read a fucking book.

is that a Hopper painting? Looks like one

My Gr.Gr.Grandmother, Civil War widow, is buried in an unmarked grave. Yeah. That sucks.

He and I have the same birthday

Thx ... There is a story to that.
That's why it's so damn long.

yup, love his lighting

honestly

>My Gr.Gr.Grandmother, Civil War widow, is buried in an unmarked grave. Yeah. That sucks.

How could there be any sadness in your life or your parents', probably even your GPs', for this fact? There is untold tragedy in the tens of thousands of generations outside living memory in your ancestry. Only the accident of recent invention of writing allows you to have any inkling of this one person's fate- poverty, a common condition 150 years ago. How can you represent this as a form of sadness relevant to presently living persons?

Here lies Lester Moore
Took two slugs from a .44
No Les, no Moore

[insert sister's name]
1987-1987
"Here's to the girl that never was."

Here's to the girl that never was.