youtube.com/watch?v=M2AEex59eVM
youtube.com/watch?v=CQr2XOTd6ys
youtube.com/watch?v=f-3sZjadCvo
youtube.com/watch?v=0OCUr4xb0Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=jaW9yF7nSnc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

mediocre as fuck
he's good if you're just getting into music

Then who would you say is not mediocore in the same genre?

find out for yourself

>genre
stop using those terms with this kinds of stuff. opn himself doesn't belong to one. its all sound design
anyway start here
youtube.com/watch?v=cIuKcrXBAuk

vaporwave - 2814
ambient, prog electronics - Klaus Schulze

>posts pleb shit
lmfao

explain how that song is "pleb"

He makes alright music.

I don't love his stuff, but I see why people would.

mediocre as fuck
good if you're just getting into music

1:45-2:15 was similar to some stuff off of R Plus Seven, but I honestly prefer Chrome Country, for example, where the concept feels more fleshed out. The song was pretty cool, though. I'll probably listen to the whole album later today. I'm not OP, by the way.

that song was made in 2012 before r plus seven came out.

i mean, GoD is a top 5 album for me, i enjoyed a fair amount of zones without people, and eccojams is great and an extremely important album, so personally, I love him. Seeing him live was a life-changer for me. Bawled my eyes out to I bite through it

I know that. I was saying that while R Plus Seven was not necessarily original, I preferred it musically to this. I'm listening to Classical Curves right now, though, and it's really cool. I just don't think that because one album has already utilized a sound, others shouldn't do anything sort of similar.

I really like opn, but I've never loved eccojams. Do you mind explaining why you like it?

you've heard r plus seven numerous of times and only heard classical curves once.
don't you think its immature to decide on how you feel upon it that quickly?

anyway its good that you're getting out of your comfy zone. plenty of other releases that ppl should checkout. instead of just opn.

try this after youtube.com/watch?v=M2AEex59eVM

he warned you about the post african rhythms

I like Jam City, but it's totally different styles. Lopatin's stuff is far more layered and detailed than this record, which I like more for it's interesting grooves.
2814 isn't as creative with sample manipulation as Lopatin is. Which itself is something I never get with vaporwave considering how much of it is influenced by Lopatin's work yet sounds way more like boring background music compared to something like Eccojams.

Klaus Schulze has some cool shit happening in his music, but for me personally it all takes way too long to develop. It's why I really like R+7 because the track lengths are so much shorter that Lopatin doesn't take fucking forever adding new sounds/layers on a track by track basis.

I think he's pretty uninteresting. I don't see what he's doing that Nobukazu Takemura and Holger Hiller didn't do better.

try this
youtube.com/watch?v=CQr2XOTd6ys
its layered and detailed more so than any opn record.

You're right that I'll need more time to process the album. I was just saying that originality is not the only factor deciding whether I'll like a song. I'll check out Persona tonight, thanks. Any other suggestions?

I don't love it, per se, I think its a very important album for the whole "vapor" culture and it has some solid ass tracks. To me, it's one of those records that I have to keep certain ideas in mind to really feel the music as much as I do (same with that one caretaker album). I kinda just keep like, the whole idea of accelerationism and like corporatism and shit like that, just sorta the whole like "trimming every tiny bit of fat of the song down to its most basic part to make it as digestible for the masses". its just kinda a cool album really. not something I'd bump in the whip
youtube.com/watch?v=f-3sZjadCvo

youtube.com/watch?v=0OCUr4xb0Sk

Neither of those artists sound at all like Lopatin's stuff. If you think that this is comparable because Lopatin/Takemura have glitchy sound effects on occasions and Lopatin/Hiller both use samplers, then I would recommend you get your ears checked.
Black Origami is one of my AOTY contenders. But it's also not like Lopatin's work at all. Not sure why you're using what are admittedly very creative takes on percussion heavy music to compare to a dude whose focus is anything but percussion.

>But it's also not like Lopatin's work at all.
as i said in a earlier post. its all sound design. i can't make claim and say any of these artists sound exactly like. none of them do.

terrible, terrible comparison dude
jlin is the shit but not even in the same realm as opn sonically

Yeah, I get that. I don't get much out of listening to a six second hook repeat for three minutes, but its sort of interesting conceptually.

Why would you only look at it from the perspective of sound design? Isn't that just defeating the idea of songwriting itself and only focusing on timbre? Does this also mean that you don't like sample heavy guys in general then since there's not much of actual sound design happening?

>Neither of those artists sound at all like Lopatin's stuff. If you think that this is comparable because Lopatin/Takemura have glitchy sound effects on occasions and Lopatin/Hiller both use samplers, then I would recommend you get your ears checked.

They don't sound the same but they cover the same ideas better. The stuff Lopatin does that's different from what they do is basically vacuous and super boring.

Not that guy, but A3 is the only track that does this. Most of the tracks are actually very creative with using the six second sample to create a variety of different parts for the track. A3 is just really popular because the first sample is catchy as fuck. Check out A2 instead.

jlin gets fucking worse with every release

had to draw the line with her on this one
youtube.com/watch?v=jaW9yF7nSnc

yeah, I read some interview with ol' danny where he said he never even expected for eccojams to take off, that he really just makes those track for himself, where he just kinda trimmed the fat of songs he liked down to their most basic forms, he never really made it as an album to be listened by others

>oes this also mean that you don't like sample heavy guys in general then since there's not much of actual sound design happening?
no i enjoy works of heavy samplers like dean blunt. no idea why would you get that opinion from me?
i just don't think any of them belong to a "genre" and trying to argue why x artist doesn't sound like him exactly is idiotic. because of none of them will besides maybe some common shared vst and equipment that you'll hear from iZotope Iris 2 is commonly used as a example.

also resampling is still part of sound design.

Not at all. Hiller uses a bunch of smaller samples to make one song while OPN will often take one exact sample and manipulate it many different ways for one song (see Eccojams A2 or Sleep Dealer.) I find Lopatin's approach to be a lot more creative as he's able to create more with less.

Takemura relies way too much on glitchy sounds to create his collages, and his collages aren't as layered as Lopatin's as he often has a more conventional rhythm section attached to his music as well.

I've heard the album before. I was mainly replying to A3 since he posted it. I'll listen again tonight to see if I enjoy the album more, though

How is that idiotic? You're comparing apples to oranges here. Like, shit that other dude who mentioned 2814 and Klaus Schulze is the only guy itt that has actually made a comparison that makes sense. You on the other hand are bring up groove oriented percussion heavy side electronic music that's not even related even from its roots to the kinda of music Lopatin does.

schulze sounds nothing like lopatin, stop trolling

>Jam City
>Jlin

and you have the nerve to shit on OPN, literally fuck off

if you want to seem patrician at least talk about Terry Riley or Holly Herndon or something

blows. i heard it. not impressed. way better future funk / vaporwave out there and i would never put it in a top 10. its alright. not genre defining.