Why does Sup Forums hate metal

The hatred of metal isnt justified

People say it takes no talent. Yet they can't play it

People say the lyrics are cringy. But the lyrics are better than most other music genres (generally speaking. There are some shit tier metal cringe bands)

The musicianship is crazy good

The concerts are energetic

The only thing that justifiable is the fanbase but that's the fanbase not the music itself

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3mjtsXaYRV8
rbt.asia/mu/search/text/metal/
youtu.be/o-89U89sZao
youtu.be/jLZ7b20Dbxg
youtube.com/watch?v=MaN3pwBsRf8
youtube.com/watch?v=I2h0NNdz70w
youtube.com/watch?v=JKV7WUM-Ots
youtube.com/watch?v=vcRZuXI19Do
youtube.com/watch?v=cL41f7dyJJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=GfOES0ZlVU8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The only thing that's justifiable in not liking*

>why does Sup Forums hate metal
>Sup Forums has an eternal /metal/ general
Really sparks those synapses.

Sup Forums has a general dedicated to it though. Not only that, it's the second most active general type thread on Sup Forums only beat by K-Pop (which isn't really even music related and is active by less posters.) That's also the perfect place for a genre like metal which is harder to really get into compared to something like the rock, indie and hip hop often discussed here while it's also got its own particular subculture stuff as well.

Sup Forums has an eternal k-pop thread, that doesn't mean this place holds it to a high regard.
Have you actually checked the number of unique IPs in any general, ever?

Sup Forums isn't a hivemind, ultimately it doesn't hold any particular music in high regard. Everyone talks shit about each other's favourite music here.
Unless you're talking about Sup Forumscore drones but who gives a shit about some anons who downloaded their musical taste.

What he said^ just because you have a board doesn't mean the whole thing likes it

Outside of that board if you talk about metal people will shit on you

That's like saying people didn't hate black people in the 50s they had their own water fountains.

>Have you actually checked the number of unique IPs in any general, ever?
Yes, and K-Pop's numbers tend to be on the lower end meanwhile right now only /shugazi/ has more unique IPs than /metal/ while being not as active? Like, I don't get what you're trying to imply here.

>Sup Forums isn't a hivemind
>nothing but pop and hip-hop threads 24/7

What I'm trying to imply there is that /metal/, just like every general, is a circlejerk of a couple of people and hardly is a sign that there's an audience of any significance interested in metal on this board. How fucking daft are you?

m8 look at the catalogue, there's plenty of threads right now which aren't pop or hip-hop.

Sup Forums hates hip hop

Not really. There are 72 unique posters on the current general right now. That's a pretty good number for any given topic. Also there's a separate black metal general going on right now, too. This is where I ask, have YOU seen the unique IPs for any general, ever?

speaking of which, i'd argue that /metal/ gets more traction during november cause of nbbmn

>metal lyrics aren't cringy

>Bleed down to the fucking core
>You're going down for fucking more
>Screw your slimy guts
>Driving me fucking nuts!
>Chainsaw in my bleeding hands
>As I start to cut you in two
>Your guts are steaming out
>And I just love the sight!
>Maggots crawling in her cunt
>I just love to lick that shit
>Bury you in a slimy grave
>You will rot forever there!
- One of the most acclaimed extreme metal bands of all time

youtube.com/watch?v=3mjtsXaYRV8
try this senpai

imo the lyrics work for the music and mood. if they were more poetic and/or sophisticated, it just wouldn't be the same.

Oh, yeah for sure. Not only that, NBBMN has its own topic as well.
At least it's overthetop and not trying to be serious. It's a million times better than post-punk groups trying to talk politics without having a clue about things like economics or goddamn Radiohead's fedora-edge-lord tier Fitter Happier

>cherrypicking this hard
>Mayhem
>One of the most acclaimed extreme metal bands of all time

On the first light of the day you march on
Departure has arrived, don't look back
Avoid the darkness, stay away, stay out of sight
Until you feel the blast of a shooting star
Following the spark like a rocket in the sky
Between the bear and the scorpion, getting close
Headed north, frozen land, where tigers go to die
Don't fear the cold, it'll numb your memories out
You are higher in the sky
Learn the skill to stay alive, survival
The city is so mean, you're being watched
Reach the tunnel, light the torch, you're on the hunt
Until the light calls you back into the wild
When you get to the other side, please send a sign
It'll fly through the atmosphere in time
And if you hold the truth within your hands
You won't be sent back, through the rain, reborn
Everlasting love is ever-growing
Hang on to what you have and let it grow
Everlasting love is ever-dying
It's in the past, you have to let it go

>Metal lyrics are cringy

>Listening metal for the lyrics
>Listening to any music genre specifically for lyrics
>This thread

I don't know man... that's still pretty cringe to me.

It's trying too hard to be deep

Metal isn't that bad I guess, I just don't understand why you'd bother with it when jazz and classical exist.

I never really had a 'metal phase,' but quite a few of my friends did and almost all of them outgrew it once they 'discovered' jazz and classical.

I don't listen to metal music for the lyrics. I'm just saying a lot of the time they're not as bad as people say. And when they are they're usually tongue and cheek

>Mayhem
>not acclaimed by both fans and critics
>implying you need to cherrypick to find bad extreme metal lyrics
>proge

No i hear you lad, I was just giving the knobs in this thread some bantz. I agree, while some lyrics are utterly laughable, metal bands dont usually identify themselves as something theyre not, which I find pretty respectable.

Neither of those two forms of music offer the sheer aggression and energy of metal while not exploring the more esoteric progressions of more recent stuff. I would argue that metal is the one genre worth supplementing more sheer cerebral listens like jazz or art music.

It's honestly kinda ridiculous to speak of metal as one entity. As if for example Helloween and Earth had anything to do with each other.

I like a good amount of old school death metal, grindcore, doom and sludge but most traditional heavy metal, power metal and thrash is just plain boring. The songwriting lacks nuance and the lyrics usually don't have much insight to them. I guess the biggest problem with many metal genres is that most bands are all about style over substance and want to sound like their own favourite bands. That results to most of it being just this huge grey mass of metal bands sounding all alike and not having any nuance or unique vision to their music.

>Neither of those two forms of music offer the sheer aggression and energy of metal
Sheer aggression and energy are childish traits to value in music. And anyway, if you think there isn't jazz that offers the same level of energy and aggression then you must not have listened to much jazz.

>while not exploring the more esoteric progressions of more recent stuff.
What on earth are you even trying to say here

>Sheer aggression and energy are childish traits to value in music.

Not him but you need to elaborate on that. Aggression and dark feelings are an inherent part of being a human and the whole spectrum of the human condition should definitely be explored by music.
Also i'd argue that "energy" is a pretty common reason to like pieces in any genre, including classical and especially jazz.

>Sheer aggression and energy are childish traits to value in music.
Nope. Music being able to deliver visceral energy is for sure its own thing. Only childish to nerds who grow up to be way too fat/unhealthy in general when they grow up. Having music course through one's body through their mind is a very interesting aspect of music, and metal delivers it better than any genre does.

>And anyway, if you think there isn't jazz that offers the same level of energy and aggression then you must not have listened to much jazz.
>Muh free jazz
Nope, not even close. It's abrasive, but not aggressive.
>What on earth are you even trying to say here
I am sure you're knowledgeable enough to figure this out based on how you post.

But rap doesnt get the same treatment on this board granted it's still bad just not as bad as rap

it's not even Sup Forumscore it's just music that most hipsters irl talk about but now we have the internet so more kids can join in

I don't know, i'm not a huge fan of rap either but i'd still argue that contemporary "conscious" rap has much more to say about the actual world we are living in than most metal. Hip hop is also still evolving and artists are trying out new aspects of the genre while metal's peak achievements were mostly made 40 - 20 years ago.

there is much less variety between the subgenres of rap than between the subgenres of metal desu

/metal/ stays on Sup Forums because there's not any better board, but they do not consider themselves to be part of the Sup Forums culture
All the posts about metal on Sup Forums seem to be negative

>while metal's peak achievements were mostly made 40 - 20 years ago.
You clearly don't listen to metal

I don't. I'm thoroughly enjoying Venom - Welcome To Hell expanded edition now. Great stuff! Nice noise to drown out the fucking chaos in my life right now.

I like meal

glamshits

That's just because rap's younger

Lyrics in extreme metal are just a blueprint so the vocalist knows how he should phrase his freak outs. They provide inspiration for the aggression the vocalist is supposed to deliver. That's why basic lyrics like this work as well.

>Sup Forums hates metal
[citation needed]

Stop no one cares.

The one thing I hate most about metal are kids that have stupid piercings and video game tattoos and think that thesaurus metal is the most hardest shit ever

Sup Forums is literally associated with metal by outsiders, what are you talking about OP? What a bunch of nonsense.

>stupid piercings
>video game tattoos
Not metalheads.

This, also 'metal' has 605,900 results in Sup Forums's archive rbt.asia/mu/search/text/metal/

Meanwhile
- rap 291k
- hip hop 355k
- indie 224k
- pop 562k
- jazz 267k

>hurrr durrr no one discusses metal on mu!!!1!

Live in your delusion if you want to, no one is going to stop you.

> People say it takes no talent. Yet they can't play it

Anyone making this claim is an idiot. Even among its critics, metal's technicality is the only thing it has going for it.

> People say the lyrics are cringy. But the lyrics are better than most other music genres (generally speaking. There are some shit tier metal cringe bands)

Nice blanket throwing. How would you even make this argument without cherry-picking?

> The musicianship is crazy good

Sure

> The concerts are energetic

No one on Sup Forums leaves their room, so this is irrelevant.

> The only thing that justifiable is the fanbase but that's the fanbase not the music itself

Lemme know when your gay furry fanfics reach the mainstream and I'll agree that shitty fanbases aren't relevant.

The primary reasons (imo) why most people don't pick up metal is because:
* The sound is inherently abrasive.
* The topics are typically dark.

That's literally it, but because those are barriers to entry that Average Joe Schmoe can glean from 5 seconds of listening, people don't give it a second chance for the lyrics/complexity/culture/etc.

That's not even getting into how socially-stigmatized cultures are cyclical, where outcasts see [music played by outcasts] so now the guy who ate glue in class wears all black to school and further entrenches the stereotype.

Yeah, I also haven't seen this supposed hatred for the genre and have had many nice metal discussions over the years

Those definitions are outdated
Also rap fans don't put "rap" in their posts, while many metalfags (including me) put "metal" in to attract metalfags ctrl+f ing for the general

You didn't see the countless "when did you grow out of metal" posts? The ">metal >good" ones?

I have also seen countless "radiohead are shit" posts, do I have to take every troll seriously?

>this incapable of board dialectics

Nobody does that anymore.

Metal sucks because we know you're unhappy if you listen to it. Music you like is a reflection of your mental state.

if youre not smiling ear to ear when listening to Devourment than you have serious issues

not really

>No one on Sup Forums leaves their room, so this is irrelevant.
You're new here I see.

You gotta be baiting. You can't be that retarded

I forgot to put the linking info here. Metal=unhappy because, just fucking listen to it. It's rage filled and about hateful subjects. If that resonates with you, then you're unhappy or are on the decline.

And if you think you're not then you're in denial. Its not just a river in Egypt.

so if you listen to country then you're a racist homophobe?

are you even familiar with greek tragedy where everybody dies and there's no happy ending? or even shakespearean tragedy where everybody dies and there's no happy ending, that romeo never gets juliet? or the concept of pathos at all?

this is the most rudimentary psych 101 perspective on human experience

yeah man, so depressing, sad and dreary
youtu.be/o-89U89sZao
youtu.be/jLZ7b20Dbxg

I mean it's not like sad downbeat songs aren't popular considering how full of slow piano ballads with sad lyrics there are in the current pop climate.

>looking for rationality in Sup Forums opinions

That's better but not the norm. That repetitive chugging was annoying though. Really most music is sad, emo, or about problems. Even a lot of pop music. It's hard to find something positive.

>not the norm
>Judas Priest
>not one of the most iconic, defining metal bands

What about the fact it sounds disgusting

I dont listen to much metal anymore, but it'll always have a special place in my heart. It was the first genre I really got into. And while I might look back on some of the bands I used to listen to and cringe a little bit (children of bodom, kalmah, as blood runs black, suicide silence) it still lead to me discovering some legitimately good bands I still listen to today. I honestly got kind of bored of the genre though because I couldn't find any bands that really pushed metal in the direction I wanted it to go. Most metal nowadays seems more concerned with pushing the technical boundaries of the genre instead of incorporating other genres and sonic experimentation. The pinnacle of the metal, imho, was DEP's calculating infinity. I know im gonna get some hate for that, but no other metal band really scratches that itch for me like DEP does.

I'm an adult. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

that's the point

Kid's meal

I want to fuck Tina Fey tbqhwyf

In metal, those feelings are expressed without a hint of masculine maturity, instead being delivered with the attitude of a feminine teen-brained rambling dionysian man-child. It's pathetic, without poetry (neo-romantic teen cringe pussy amateur attempts at poetry has no poetic value), without value and meaning, and without vigor (that HAS value, please, vigorous without value is irrelevant to art and expressions of the human condition).

>muh visceral intensity
You need to be 18+ to post on here

>comparing metal to Shakespeare and the Greeks
meal kids have hit a new low

Who are those aggressively uncool faggots you just posted?

They're comin for yer ass boy

Suicide is the answer
Both for who the band is and for what you should do with yourself

ITT

What type of sad beta listens to this shit?

it's more the legitimacy for the range of expression not being limited to not-tragedy

unless concepts are hard for you because not even this one should be difficult

I don't care anymore. I grew out of my "growing out of metal" phase.
I explored many non-metal genres and ended up coming back to black/sludge/doom metal.

>implying metal is not beta

>watch me suck my own dick
Truly a marvel of our times

If metal is beta I have no idea what that makes the recordings of Alan Vega's spergouts.

wtf these lyrics are garbage. but what do you expect of metalhead morons

greentexting is lowest-tier bants, the least you could do is have the wit for some actual rebuttal

alan vega is dead while metal is alive btw really makes you think

>metal is alive
yes metal as a genre is really popping off lmao

more than vega in his grave considering he took his band name to heart :^o

>being too much of a pussy to reply directly
How low will the beta male go?

>died in his sleep at age 78
>took his lyrics to heart
hmmmmmm, really gets the noggin joggin

>want to become a metal head because sounds good
>be Christian

>Comparing metal to the Greeks is a new low
>There's literally a 24 minute metal version of The Odyssey
>It's fucking ebin
>Classical bullshit everywhere
>Wide range of emotions
>Still got the pop structures within to hook the modern listener
>I fell asleep every day we read the actual Odyssey in class but I already knew the story from this
youtube.com/watch?v=MaN3pwBsRf8
>Be singer of a Christian metalcore band
>Hire a hitman to kill your wife
This song is still really catchy though. Black Sabbath is notably written from a Christian perspective, even though there are songs about Satan. It's not like "haha yeah, satan ;)" with them at least. I know there's a niche of "unblack/white metal" that's Christian as well, in addition to Christian or at least lyrically irreligious bands. I remember there was one heavy/power metal band that had an album called "Crusader" or some shit, but I don't remember who it was and I haven't heard it.
youtube.com/watch?v=I2h0NNdz70w
This is a pretty good jam about killing witches (or something).
youtube.com/watch?v=JKV7WUM-Ots
Pagan metal when it's done well is the best kind of religious metal though.
youtube.com/watch?v=vcRZuXI19Do
youtube.com/watch?v=cL41f7dyJJ0

Wow, my tone throughout this post makes me sound like a 13 year old.

Some of it's great but black metal is one of the most homogenous sounding genres I can think of desu

>symphony x
>good
one of many bands that prove guitarists are among the worst musicians, and I say that as a guitarist

I don't like the whole "why listen to prog instead of classical" spin, but seriously why listen to symphonic powerwank instead of classical?

If you want metal threads then make them, you giant faggot

>Drums
>Synths
>Vocals
>"Pop" parts
>Most classical doesn't feel this way
Michael Romeo is not a wanky guitarist to begin with anyway though, unless you're one of those fools that thinks playing fast is wanking. Jazz is the wank genre in my view, since it's so impov-heavy.
youtube.com/watch?v=GfOES0ZlVU8