PUNK ESSENTIALS

I made a new punk essentials chart.

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/friklaz/strm_h,ss.e/punk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm sure your middle school friends will love it when you go back.

I'm 28 and I'm in grad school. But have fun feeling pretentious.

That's all fine and dandy but you should branch out to non-essential punk if you want to stay interested in the genre.

I have, but there's been so much argument about the genre recently on this board that I felt an urge to make a new essentials one.

>28
>punk
How embarrassing.

I'm also into jazz and folk, but there are a lot of wonderful punk bands, and I've enjoyed this type of music since I was 11.

For a 28 year old you sure do have a way of picking the shittiest punk albums.

where's 'never mind the bollocks' you tasteless pleb, oh i get it, its too popular, lol kill yourself faggot

Sounds mostly like a "20 punk albums I like" more than a "essential" compilation.

I mean, if stuff like Crass and Flux of Pink Indians is included then you should include the most essential post-punk albums too. At least Wire, Mission of Burma and Wipers.

Good albums nevertheless. Haven't heard the 4 at the bottom though, they look like powerviolence?

These are all classic bands and great albums. For 12, you sure have a way of trying to insult people over things you know nothing about. So angsty.

I chose them all because they're all fairly straightforward punk albums.

3 of the bottom 4 are crust punk, but Zero Boys are a poppy first wave hardcore band.

People really ought to separate their essentials lists by decade

>being this much of a pretentious fag
>any age

Pathetic

>fugazi
>husker du
>jawbreaker
>punk

>le "i only listen to TRUE punk" meme XD

Fuck off.

post hardcore =/= punk you fucking mongoloid

> post-hardcore
> not a subgenre of punk
> insulting other's intelligence when you're this retarded

>calls me a mongoloid
>has the brain capacity of a retard

Are you this autistic? Do your handlers know you're on this board?

>2017
>Unironically listening to music
I honestly feel bad for you

bump

>being this much of an unprepentant faggot
I'm lmaoing @your life

That's a decent chart, but I honestly have to say I prefer mine. There are some great key bands there I left out, though - notably Descendents, Discharge, Poison Idea, Screeching Weasel, Rites of Spring, and Dag Nasty. Neurosis is a really interesting inclusion - I wouldn't have thought to include them because their later stuff is so metal, but it's true that that's a decent crust/hardcore album. I do dislike the overemphasis on Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, and Bad Religion, though.

This is a nice chart, and he did a fantastic job with the crossover section. I'm particularly fond of crust, and he does a decent job there, but my one criticism is that it almost completely omits the most recent wave of bands. Ancst, Anopheli, Ictus, Sarabante, and Light Bearer are some big ones worth mentioning.

This is neat. I know Anti Cimex, but the classic Scandinavian hardcore scene is something I've largely overlooked. But I really like neocrust, and this had a big influence on that. My only hesitation is that I've always been more into the dark, almost atmospheric side of crust than the rougher, semi-grindcore type stuff. I guess you could say I'm more an Amebix person than a Discharge person.

decent overview of early crust, though I would've picked Inde$troy for the Sore Throat album. Axegrinder is an underrated classic - they get dismissed sometimes for being a bit of an Amebix clone, which they sort of were, but it's sort of like they only took the very best parts of the Amebix sound and distilled it down to just that, cutting out all the fat.

OP I have to agree with this post

If your chart is "one way into punk" then fine.

If it's "essentials of punk" then it's a fail for me. Where are the essential punk bands? Wipers, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Buzzcocks, The Damned, The Dead Boys etc etc etc)- You've got a lot of post punk - fine if it you're surveying the genre, but if so why no proto punk (Stooges etc) and later punk developments (Meat Puppets, Social D, Rancid)

Maybe you need to research the genre a bit deeper.

I've researched the genre plenty, and I know the proto-punk bands. My aim for the chart was just to give really solid, good, and truly punk albums. That's why it goes over bands that embody the genre, rather than just being an overview of the classics. Since I'm trying to be true to what the genre is, I wouldn't want to include the bands that led up to or influenced it. If you want to see what I think of punk overall, here's that: rateyourmusic.com/collection/friklaz/strm_h,ss.e/punk

>truly punk
>post-punk
>post-hardcore

Literally the only album on that chart that could be considered post-punk is that Crass album, but they're also a key first wave punk band. So it's weird that you accuse me of including post-punk, and it makes it seem like you don't actually know the stuff I posted.

There are post-hardcore bands, but I'd say post-hardcore is a key punk subgenre.

scandanavian is more influenced by d beat

Yeah, that's what I mean. It's more that straightforward, rough Discharge sound than the dark, brooding Amebix sound. The neocrust bands sort of fuse the two together, but it seems like there was a sonic division between the two in crust for a while.

>only britcuck music

Crust started out as a British movement because it directly grew out of the anarcho-punk scene. Bands like Amebix and Antisect were contemporaries of bands like Conflict, Flux, Crass, and Rudimentary Peni, as well as the anarchist bands that would later lead to grindcore, like Carcass and Napalm Death.

its a country specific chart, would you prefer japanese?