Are French really this butthurt about Alsace? There is an exchange student from Strasbourg in my class...

Are French really this butthurt about Alsace? There is an exchange student from Strasbourg in my class. When she told me she was from there I asked if she had a German surname, and she said NO NO I AM NOT GERMAN NO NO GERMAN ALL MY ANCESTORS ARE FRENCH I CAN'T SPEAK GERMAN.

After that, I look at her surname in the attendance sheet and it says 'Hertfelder'. Not French at all. Are Alsatians really a bunch of Germans in denial?

actual germans got expelled and only the frenchified ""germans"" were allowed to stay

The French aren't butthurt about Alsace because they actually own it and it used to be more German, as it is more French than before they owned it.

If anybody is butthurt about Alsace its Germany.

But Alsatians get butthurt when you call them Germans, or Frenchified Germans as the Finn said

This. Wy would we be butthurt when we actually own it ?
The only mad ones are all tte wehraboos around the world. Alsacians want to stay French.

Because they are French, feel French yet every autist on the Internet puts them with Germany against their will on their meme maps. Nobody listens to them, it seems like the minority meme only counts when it's Germans.

Well, it's the same in the other German speaking regions outside of Germany, though perhaps not as hysterically as in Alsace.

My great great grandfather was from there and he was so embarrassed to speak French that he only spoke German for the rest of his life.

>Because they are French, feel French

Yeah, but for outsiders they come off as pretty cucked for almost completely abandoning the language of their forefathers within two generations.

no, not really

for most normies it's just "i wonder why does this french/italian person have a german sounding name" and after that they cease to think about it any further

A french teach i had said that she has a lot of friends from Strasbourg and that all of them spoke german fluently

Not for your average normie perhaps, but I think other minority populations think like that. I remember talking with South Tyroleans about it and that's what they basically said (they obviously didn't use the word cuck though)

Cool story Hans-Cletus.
If by other countries you mean german speaking ones maybe. Most people don't care, and it is stupid to think so anyway since 95% of the French population did the same.

Because she is old probably. The raye of German-speaking Alsacians decreased a lot recently, young people pick English as their second language in school and many do not even bother picking German as a third language. As for the dialect is is basically dead.

You speak like if you were a frog

Wouldn't you find it odd if Quebecois declared themselves Anglos, started speaking English only and insistently said that they have got nothing to do with the French?

>have got nothing to do with the French?
We have a distant genetic relationship, but you'll be hard pressed to find any Québécois who view themselves as "French" or who do the whole "muh heritage" crap which Americans do so much of. You'll find some people use the word "French" but that's just a misnomer which refers to the language, not to any notion of nationality or anything like that.

People from Quebec think they are French

No we don't

What do you even know about Quebec other than what you've read written by moronic butthurt anglos?

When I look at footage from de Gaulles visit, the relationship seems to be more than just a "distant genetical" one. But that wasn't really the point anyway

Been there, enjoyed your women and hockey

>the relationship seems to be more than just a "distant genetical" one
Because De Gaulle was directly supporting the nationalist movement (which, back then, was very much in its infancy) against the "Anglo enemy".

There's a reason why De Gaulle is the only French politician to have ever been received in such a way.

Are you Quebecois? Why did you say that "you own Alsace"?

He's clearly French

If you go in /fr/ regularly enough, you'll see that one of the most common French-speaking Canadian flags is actually a French student in Québec. There are actually very few Québécois posters, generally speaking.

The reaction probably wouldn't have been the same if the president of some other country supported the nationalists, would it?

Oh, I thought you were the same poster

I am a Frog. But as the actual Québec posters says, what the fuck do you know about them ?

They don't consider themselves French. It would be retarded if they started calling themselves anglos but they would never do it by their own accord. And I know I say that because I am biased as a French person. You day the Alsacians come off as cucks but you are Austrian and the persons you quoted are from South Tyrol, you both are super biased on that matter. The rest of the world doesn't give a fuck.

Indeed, and I'm not denying that our relationship with France is obviously different than that of any other country. The most common appellation for French people which we use is specifically the word "cousin" (it's the same word in French as in English).

However, there's a huge difference between "they're our cousins" and "we're French". For example, if you say "un Français" or "les Français" in Québec, it always refers first and foremost to French foreigners in Québec, no ethnic Québécois will ever mistakenly think you're talking about him.

see

>I post enough to be easily recognizable
I really should stop, what am i doing with my life.
But yeah there are very few Quebec posters and I think it's a shame. They are always associated with the cancerous anglo Canadians because of the flag ant that's pretty bad since Québec posters are better posters.

I don't believe this story happened.

We don't really like getting confused with germans, that's all. This region has a long history jumping between one country and another. Now we are french and we will defend this identity.
Just because our languages is a germanic dialect doesn't mean we are german.

And if anything, it's more like the germans being butthurt about not having this germanic land. Fuck them.

Where do you live?

I live in Provence, I'm only half-alsatian
but right now i'm studying in Strasbourg

What a coincidence, how unarguably the best province of France has Germanic influence.

Quebecois calls themselves Quebecois. Never you will see a Quebecois call himself a Frenchman. Only anglos make that mistake by calling them french. Although there are a lot of french people from France living Quebec.

in Quebec*

It's been going on for quite a while, around the days of the Franco-Prussian War there was a Sup Forums-tier sperg-out between French and German chemists over who laid the foundations of modern chemistry.

The French chemist, who touted it was Lavoisier and his contemporaries, was from the Alsace, his name was Charles-Adolphe Wurtz.

They do the same to us (Flanders) and the Dutch.

They are at least very sensitive about it where most Germans don't really care. If there is any"butthurt" it's about former Eastern Germany.
A friend of mine had a Southern French gf with Alsatian grandparents and she told she once got send to the headmaster's office for saying that her grandparents are German

There's this old French comedy about kids who have to go to school during the holidays which has a novelty tutoring machine that asks you a question and everytime you make a mistake it slaps you in the face. One moment the question "is Alsace a French or German region?" is asked, the camera pans out to another scene, we don't get to hear his answer, only in the background the machine slapping the guy in front of it hard and repeatedly.

>If anybody is butthurt about Alsace its Germany.
>And if anything, it's more like the germans being butthurt about not having this germanic land.

Where does this meme come from? No german gives a fuck about Alsac. We want it back as much as the english want the Normandy back.

I can see why you are annoyed at other people about saying this, but don't try shoving it off to us, we don't care.
We want eastern prussia and Silesia back long before we'd start caring about some bit of land that was only part of germany for a few decades and we didn't actually want in the first place and only took because the french were being stubborn cunts in the Franco-Prussian war.

Always thought of those people as French and Germans who fugged and since French culture is controlling they claim only to be French although they are also part German.

Alsace is Dutch, but I'd support an independent duchy of Alsace-Lorraine

oui oui less chatter, more chocolatin

We genocided all Germans there

The remaining people with a German lastnames got them from the Franks

>German

I mean Germanic nothing to do with German

>If anybody is butthurt about Alsace its Germany.
Not at all, the only thing that makes me mad is that there wasn't a referendum after the war like in the Saarland were the people could decide to which country they want to belong, but I can't really blame the french as they'd probably end up being btfo like in the Saarland.

t. Franz Sobotka, 100% Germanic

?????
Strasburg
nothing to do with German...
Not a single place in that region has a French name. I wonder why there are all meaningfull German names? Hmm?
Now why is that?

>quebec thinks it's france

cute

>Strassbourg

You mean Argentoratum which is Gaulish clay

Mülhausen, Kolmar etc.

Stimmt einen schon nachdenklich...

She was probably triggered because she got mocked for it by her fellow frenchies.

You get butthurt when we call you a monkey. It's the same thing, people don't like getting called by something they're not.

the whole of germany should've been aslace'd if you ask me

we'd be living in a much more peaceful world

Lorraine user here, we're either seen as german in other french areas, but the only german habit we have is hard worker and hard puncher, south guys are weak and lazy. Anyway, it feels good to be at 30 min car ride to Belgium / Luxembourg / Germany

>Straatsburg
>strassburg
>Strossburi
>STRASSBOURG
A proper French name would Forteresse de Rue

South Alsace is rightful Mulhousian clay

Living in Germany is more peaceful than living in France, my friend.

I rather be killed than raped

Why would anybody be happy at being mistaken for German, let alone when they're French?

Well in this case you could actually win.

kek, based Alsaciens

>this one butthurt Quebecois proving OP's point

Alsace looks like a really nice area to visit/live, what are some similar or just other good areas of France?
Where do you live frogs?

I wouldn't want to be insulted of German too.

Shut up, you German.