I live in northern Alabama, Huntsville to be more exact...

I live in northern Alabama, Huntsville to be more exact. Seeing the path of hurricane Irma has me a tad bit worried that I am underprepared in the event of a catastrophe and I need to evacuate. I have plenty stocked and stored indoors but nothing ready to be moved or stored in my vehicle, a 2007 minivan. Here's what essentials I think I should pack:
>5 gallons water
>15 cans of food
>clothes for 5 days
>Few rolls asswipe
>Plenty of batteries & 2 flashlights
>Basic toiletries to last a week
>Plenty of trash/grocery bags
>Basic tools (screwdrivers, sockets, wrench, hammer, hatchet, fishing eq. and duct tape)
>More than basic medical kit
>Paracord and/or rope

I can't think of anything else that would be necessary to keep packed to easily move to the van or just kept in the van at all times. What else should I bring that would help in a worst case scenario? It would just be my wife and I. What "special" things would you bring in your kit?

>inB4 guns and ammo

Other urls found in this thread:

walmart.com/ip/Stanley-1000-Amp-Peak-Jump-Starter-J509/14560016?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228009222192&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40839140912&wl4=pla-56587013569&wl5=9031544&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=14560016&wl13=&veh=sem
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bring vodka, blankets, pillows, and a bucket too, OP.

Sunscreen, waterproof tarp, handcrank radio, insect repellant, sleeping bag

Tent and camping shit because if there's no power for miles and miles, why not?

Waterproof containers and bags for supplies

Guess I glossed over the blankets and pillow, but why vodka if I may ask? Have alcohol in both prep pads and bottles. More uses for vodka than drinking if I have those?

Thanks for the radio suggestion, I have a combo c cell lamp with a handcrank that has a am/fm radio built in.

Well for my wife and i we would have the shelter of the van itself, what kind of camping things should I consider? Definitely going to look into sleeping bags or wool blankets. I have a zippo for firestarting if things get to that point.

Awesome. The radio cannot be underestimated in its utility. The storm changes directions and suddenly a known safe zone is in it's new path.

Thank you. I will get some 5 gallon buckets for most and the obvious toilet if need be, and plastic sealable bags.

In a highly moist environment, standard lighters might not be enough without an accelerant. Consider a magnesium and flint striker set.

I don't know if they're readily available where you live but a company called Outdoor Products makes 20 and 40 liter waterproof sealable bags. Not eurofag. They just use liters because it sounds bigger. Lo!

I've looked into a fire striker and will get two for redundancy. I've seen a few strikers with kindling "built" in, a wooden handle that can be shaved, that I think will save me space. Thank you.

Stay safe OP, please keep us updated.

I was thinking vodka for drinking, but I think you could use it to clean cuts.

Don't forget to take sunglasses. Also a deck of cards.

Be safe Sup Forumsrother.

I'm going to be doing a lot of online shopping so they should be available to me
Thank you. I don't quite know the conversion from liters to gallons but I usually guess 3.5 liters to a gallon. Not precise but works in a pinch.

To trade or help others cope/relax

Aye, we have our phones for most entertainment and a dvd player in the van built in. Usb chargers and I want to get something for renewable usb power. Not trying to prepare for the end of days, but it wouldn't hurt to come close.

Rain tarp is important. I'd say bring something to jump your can incase the battery shits on you. It sounds like you have a pretty decent loadout though. Stay safe out there OP and I wish the best for you

Car, not can

Have any experience with the plug in car jumpers as seen on tv things? Would they be worth anything?

The one we have works for maybe a single jump but the battery is rechargeable through the car lighter port. Lemme do a quick search to see if I can find more details. I've only ever had to use ours for my car once

Thank you my Sup Forumsretheren. It's almost 4am and I'm going to bed. I feel quite a bit more enlightened due to you all. Thank you. I doubt I am in any danger from this hurricane but I definitely won't be caught with my pants down.

Thats what I had in mind. Thanks, I'll check back in a few minutes and ss the information.

walmart.com/ip/Stanley-1000-Amp-Peak-Jump-Starter-J509/14560016?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228009222192&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40839140912&wl4=pla-56587013569&wl5=9031544&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=14560016&wl13=&veh=sem pretty sure this was the one, it's been a good while and I'm too lazy to bother tearing my garage apart to find it

Aside from things allready said, I'd recommend making sure that the car's gas tank is more or less full. You don't want to run out in an awkward moment.
Also, don't forget to move anything you cannot replace (such as personal pictures etc.) to a safe spot before it's too late.