Weird place to ask for advice on this, but Sup Forums takes all kinds

Weird place to ask for advice on this, but Sup Forums takes all kinds

Friend is at work right now clearing brush and a cable on his Cat 930h just snapped and his boss is freaking out telling him he's gonna make him pay for it, and that it's a line to the sensor bar and all this, but he showed me a picture and the way this things attached it's impossible that it does anything other than being a huge rubber band.

Pic related is the "cable" that snapped, second pic will be a close up of the connected piece.

I want to give him info so his boss doesn't dock his pay $100+ for something stupid, does anyone know what this piece is for/called?

Other urls found in this thread:

parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/cat-classic-parts
google.com/patents/US20020073833
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A close up of the end still attached to the arm.

It somehow is tied to a button or lever inside the cab that levels out the bucket, and it doesn't work anymore now that this is broken.

probably bait but anyways, that's a hydraulic pipe

can it be when it's attached like that?

just a bolt stuck clean through it

Let the boss dock the pay, then sue the fuck out of the guy. That shit is highly illegal to do.

more info: he says the other end is solid just like that end

its not hollow in the middle so how could it provide anything except tension?

hes not on the books, and hes not going to sue anyone hes too nice. just trying to save my friend from a couple hundred dollars out of his check

he came to me for advice and after looking through thousands of pages from the parts guide i cant find fucking anything about this

yeah it's not a hydraulic pipe, thought it is. don't now what it could be, but it probably has something to do with the valve

Need to see the broken end, obviously.

nigga you let a guy whos not even on the books drive god damn heavy machinery? What so your on the books but your the guy directing the real guy with the more important job?

where does it attach? He could have someone watch the broken end while he pushes the button, or vice versa and see what happens on the broken end.

have your friend threaten his boss a phone call to workmans comp. if he docks his pay. They sure ain't gonna like hearing about someone running heavy equipment without the insurance coverage. Gotta learn how to throw punches in construction man.

hes still looking for it, told him to send me pics if he finds it, but the broken half of that end is the same as the end attached to the bolt, solid throughout. He posted a video I wish I could just post here but I can't

ill take more screenshots from the short video but he doesn't know what he's looking for so who knows

he says its possible it came from this part, further up the arm (pic), but neither of us have any idea

That Georgia?

Is this the same type of tractor?

In my eyes it doesn't lolly like a wire or something like this. The is no connection for inside. It looks like something we have on out tractor attach for showing on witch angel the loder stands. Sry for bad English

i'm like miles away from him, i dont work there hes just my friend asking me a question

this is the best angle i could get on the broken end from the video because hes fucking autistic and didnt show the inside of it. he says it's solid though

trying to get him to take more pictures but he's at work and i believe trying to take these photos somewhat sneakily so his boss doesnt see

Looks like a damper/shock absorber on that loader. Nice.

he sent me this pic, looks about the same but he said its a Cat 930h wheel loader

fuck meant to circle it before i posted, this is the broken piece

op, you are him.

did you study?
are you an illegal immigrant?

That line came from inside that square cover. Not his fault. Looks like regular wear and tear

Looking at I'd say it would have to go into Then is probably right and it's to give feedback how far the piston is extended

look for a part number on it, if you can find one you can get a pdf of all CAT spare parts, find the number, find the part name and function.

parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/cat-classic-parts

it's a grease pipe

This. Youre buddy should quit, mechanics/bosses are dicks, have him ask the boss how it's his fault it was broken.
The boss won't have a response because it wasn't his fault.

Looks like an easy fix too. A bar with a slot for the switch to slide into to show position. Are you in the independent republic of texas?

that was the first thing i told him to do, look for a number printed on the side but he said there wasnt one. I went through the parts guide as much as i could but it's all abbreviated jargon. very possible there is a number and he just cant see it or is retarded but this is all the info i have right now

yes im typing this from my laptop in the middle of a field while its raining, because thats where he is

yeah it seems like it has to be just for tension, i was just hoping to find someone who knew what it was called more specifically so i could give him info to fire back at his boss if it came to that

Nope

its a wiggly tension rubber, part number 58008.

boobs, i get it. i aint laughing but i get it

he finally fucking sent me a pic of the inside of it, its solid plastic/rubber

replied to myself somehow

I am not sure if he really has to pay for it. He has not done this on purpose.

Perhaps this may be a sensor for position feedback. But this part of the sensor looks rather cheap and simple to replace.

>have your friend threaten his boss a phone call to workmans comp

This user is right.

yeah i get it, some people need to keep their job though

don't think hes going to blow shit up with a guy he works 9 hours a day with over a $20-$100 piece

Some more ideas... I never worked with this machine but maybe this helps: I assume that this is just a rubber part going to the front of the cylinder. In the main part on the cylinder side (near to the driver) may be a sensor unit. In there, there should be the position measurement. So the rubber part pulls at some position measurement device or spring or sth like that...

As I said, this is just an idea. I may be completely wrong.

Rubber shit breaks. Owning a machine like that means maintenance. That rubber looks old af.

The problem might not just be buying the replacement part, but also getting it where it needs to be.

Good luck

His boss has more to lose then he does even if he fires him.

Your buddy can still call the WC Board & report him.

He needs to tell his boss to suck his fucking cock and fix his own shit.

point made. If the band was really up in that square bar it's going to take removing a lot of parts before it can be replaced. Then everythings gotta get put back again. A 25$ rubber band can cost 500$ to remwov.

So get fucked by the boss to pay for his maintenance. Sucker. Oldest trick in the book. Fool the stupid to pay for parts. Don't bother helping if he's gonna be a pussy about it. Shit breaks. Accidents happen. Ive broken brand new Windows we installed in new houses. Never paid a dime and was never questioned. Things break in construction. We have to replace a saw every month cause it falls and gets bent or a nail gun falls and breaks unrepairably. It's fucking normal for shit to break. Especially a rubber line on a heavy machine. Could be worse, could of been a hydrolic line and fluid everywhere. Just fucking give up if he ain't gonna stick up for himself. Be getting fucked the rest of his life if he ain't gonna stand up to bullshit now. He'll be buying new tires soon cause it's his fault they wore out. Stupid kids

>that's a hydraulic pipe
With a bolt going straight through it derp.. I bet you voted Clinton too.

You got it. It's just cats have safety features so if that part breaks now the beam won't move at all so the machine dosn't damage itself by moving to far in any one direction.

if the other end is like the end he can see, then hopefully it's just a matter of sliding it up the rectangular casing and T-bolting it back in from the outside. No idea though.

That's a brace bar. Used to keep bucket from shifting and swaying. It's literally a 1.25" DOM square tube bolted or welded in.

Odds are the sensor it was connected to was more complicated than the side we can see..
Or else what the fuck was it sensing? A couple bolts isn't a sensor.

This, i service these machines every weekend, just pull the hose out and stick a grease nipple in, should just screw in.

machines need maintenance, every operator and owner knows this, so nobody should be freaking out at an easily fixable part. if your friend wants to keep working for this guy, tell him to just cop it and try get on the books as an employee, if not, report boss to the irs for not paying taxes etc, he might even get a reward for doing so.

Than what about the rubber tension wiggler? So then we know the square tube ain't got shit to do with the wiggler, but where did it go to then?

nigga it's not a tube. It's solid.

That rubber band as you call it is likely just a tension band. I've never figured out what the hell it was for as stupid as that sounds. It's a part that comes with it, that serves no true meaningful purpose.

The slide there likely had a magnet attached to the end of it that slides past pick ups to give a position in the attachment. I've been a Journeyman heavy equipment mechanic for 5years and I can assure you nothing on a CAT only costs $100 so it'll cost much more to fix it than that. Regardless unless it was blatant negligence the operator shouldn't be paying for it.

> hes not on the books

1. Go fuck yourself

2. Fuck your friend and his boss for avoiding taxes, hope they both rot in prison

3. If your dipshit non tax paying friend gets hurt or permanently injured on the job, he's fucked for life as it will not be considered a work related injury

Tell your friend his boss can suck a dick. He should be paid in full or go to the IRS. And tell his boss to maintain his own machines.
Then get a new job.
/thread

being somewhat productive, even off the books, is better off then doing nothing but shitposting on Sup Forums from your mom's basement faggot

Hello donald trump.

>boo-hoo

the next one getting a rubber hose is you, faggot

Most productive thread currently on Sup Forums

>Regardless unless it was blatant negligence the operator shouldn't be paying for it.
This.
Do things like this rubber just wear out over time? So is this guy really guilty of destroying something?

.... nevermind...

Are you my neighbor?

I had the exact same conversation with my wife about our daughter's boyfriend last weekend.

>he's not doing himself any favors working off the books

get him to tell his boss to maintain the auto greasers better. It snapped because it was too short or fucking rotten. That shit is cheap as hell anyhow to fix. The boss is a fucking cunt.

If he rips your buddy of, your buddy should flatten his boss's pickup or something. The boss sounds like a piece of shit. This can literally be replaced by blocking off the line fromt he greaser, and putting a $0.20 grease nipple in.

i'll grease your nipple

Firstly, take pics and measurments, contact a CAT dealership, ask them for a replacement part. it could get a bit pricey, tho that part doesnt look to be worth more than 60-80 dollars. Or replace it yourself. its just a tension band to stabalize.

Rubber dries out if not maintained and cleaned. and all parts on anything wear down by time. it was bound to happen, and next year its gonna be something else

the word CAT and Cheap do not belong in the same sentace. Anything that you would consider cheap would start at $100, and most shit hitting $1k without the blink of an eye. cat are the worst turbojews. Plus the local fuckheads at CAT do stupid shit like putting fucked up parts on motors here then refusing to warranty it

here
If that specific part isnt made anymore your best bet is to make one yourself. Read up on rubber casting

That all depends on the part tho. A tension band like that wouldnt be worth more than 100 as its probably mass produced.

looks like some cooned up shit for an auto leveler. If the moron had people who had some competence, it wouldn't be required. I've run large payloaders with forks, and never used any of that stupid shit. Hell, ran a 988 Cat with a set of forks. I didn't have any of that shit on there.

People who buy that shit, usually get bamboozled by a salesman into the next best thing. They are the same type of people where a good salesman can sell em a shit sandwich that's the best thing in the world.

As for that thing though, it's probably some coonrig aftermarket auto leveling cable for them. It's probably not that expensive, and can be replaced by something else for a lot less money than going to cat.

I still have memories of having to price $900 bucket teeth from CAT, that I can get aftermarket for $140. If you think buying parts from CAT is a deal, I have 25 years experience in dealing with them. They are the biggest turbojews on the planet.

The broken part is just the extension bar, the sensor element is on the cylinder.

It is basically a linear potentiometer to measure the extension of the cylinder.

It is propably not a wiper type, but a magnetic to survive mud and other crap.
The other end of the bar has a magnet inside it, and when moving the cylinder the magnet moves against the sensing elements (hall/reed/something).
That is the reason it has no wiring inside it, it is just a dumb barstock.

That's what I was thinking too. Is it a remote grease fitting? So you can grease a few things at the same time?

This makes sense, the way the still connected piece is bent then broken, it was pulled too far then bent and broke on retract

OK guys german CE technican here
first of sorry for my english
that pipe triggers a magnetic sensor for the "return to dig" function what it basicly does is if you unload the shovel an hold back the lever it holds it self and the shovel moves to horizontal direction (at this point the pipe triggers the sensor and the selfhold of the lever stops) just replace it with a metalbar with the same length and everything will work
your welcome
also cat sucks

if its rubber it triggers a mechanical sensor so everything would be fine
i missed the info sry

That's the sensor cable for the hydrolic ram. It basically tells the valve when to open and close to extend or retract by flooding or releasing hydrolic fluid. Without it, there is no controls in the cab.

Your friend is a fucking retard. How do you even hit something half way up the stick on a loader?

are you fucking stupid or anything?
since when are fucking cables made of fucking plastic or rubber?

there is a extra cable the fag just forgot to picture it

Just tell him to fork over the money. if it wern't for his boss he wouldnt have a paycheck

my job is repairing tracktors and stuff idiot i know what im talking about
google.com/patents/US20020073833
look at the picture 5 of 5 you can see how it works

It had a magnet on it. The rubber is used as a resistor for the electrical signal.

Who the fuck thinks that loaders use rubber bands?

yeah its probably plastic so it doesnt get bent down or sth anyway he needs to check if there is a mechanical or magnetic sensor on the other side of the part here if its mechanic he can put in a wood stick or anything if magnetic probably a metalpole would work screw off the plate that covers the upper part and if you see the sensor you can try putting metal under it the magnetic sensors normally have an indicator light if it recognices sth

well but since op left i think there is no need to explain anyone that this is for return to dig and its just a stick and the sensor is on the upper part,
was just helping because he isnĀ“t a nigger
>the german spirit

i didn't leave, been relaying info back to him as needed

didnt have any new info and the thread has been being bumped so i didnt see the need to butt in

very helpful stuff guys, basically confirming what i figured. we both appreciate it, hopefully it can be replaced with little or no money coming out of his pocket

thanks a lot everyone, i didnt expect any responses let alone 80+ helpful ones

Confirming that you think cats use ruberbands for tension? You do understand that hydrolic pressure is what makes the stick move, right?