Can someone explain how this is wrong? 400 x 0 is 400, it would make no sense why it would be zero? 400 + 1 is 401...

Can someone explain how this is wrong? 400 x 0 is 400, it would make no sense why it would be zero? 400 + 1 is 401, 400 - -3 is 398. It would make no sense as to why it would be one. Can someone please explain how its wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ij-EK-MZv2Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also It's because the number 400 has two 0's and you can't divide 0 by 0 and multiplication is just reverse division so the rule will still apply so in the case of 400 x 0 the 0 must be ignored as it cannot go into a another zero so it should really be seen as 400 x 0 but since 0 can't go into 400's 0 it gets removed and you are left with 400

You are an actual retard. Even if I were to use an abacus to explain multiplication to you, you'd still not get it.

Hmmm, I smell low-quality, decaying bait.

Please explain how it's not 400. This is how I always learned it
please refer to

Gotta title your pics man

Kys

Because if you have nothing 400 times you still have nothing.

anything times 0 is always 0 you fucking retard

Either you are a bait or to dumb for ys to try to explain it to you

yeah but 400 is first therefor it would be 400. 0 x 400 would be 0 cause 0 is first. Simple division mate

You should reply in flat earth and artificial weather posts, there they have your answers

Think of 5 bags each containing $400 lying on a table in front of you.
Five other people each take one bag per person, leaving 0 bags on the table for you.
How much money is on the table for you?
>pro tip; it isn't $400...

No. This is elementary school level mathematics. Go look at a multiplication table and figure it out yourself.

but that makes no sense
that would be 400 x 5 since there are 5 people grabbing each bag of money
wouldnt it be 400 bags of money and zero people? zero people cant grab a bag since they dont exist.

It's really entertaining, guise. play along it'll be great.

The Olympic gold medal for mental gymnastics

its 0 because when you try to divide the 4 by 0 it goes in every time, so the leftover is 0, and when you divide you add the leftover afterwards but infinity is a function, not a sequence, so it gets weaseled out, leaving only the leftover 0.

You have zero four hundreds
How many four hundreds do you have?
>zero

I can't tell if OP is trolling, or just stupid.

>400 - -3 is 398
wait

I'm just gonna do a 180 and walk backwards

I just started uni but i think its 4000 not 400 400x0
like 10x100 is 1000 you just add every zero

should probably go back to 6th grade

>400 - -3 is 398
Obvious troll is obvious. Or OP is just retarded.

I weep for you. I am genuinely sorry that common core has ruined your way of thinking.

ikr, it would be 403

You have 0 packs of toothpicks that come in 400. How many toothpicks do you have?

don't listen to anybody here they are just haters.

you are not wrgon. 400x0=400 because you can take as many zeros or subtracst as many zeros as you want. they're just zeroes. they don't count.

Actually 498

its not common core, its the teachers that apply it. They can't understand it because its fucking retarded so then the students become retarded. Its not CC's fault its fucking retarded, it has chronic autism and takes $500,000,000,000 in adderall a day.

I don't get why people are falling for this bait. I also don't get why it's hard for people to say "400 zero times is zero."

0 is the supreme leader of this equation
math doesn't work if it isn't important and doesn't times anything

Why such harsh words? I said i think that's how it goes, not that i am sure. You know that when you add a 0 its still the same number
400+0 = 400
so if it's multiplication it has to actually add one 0
=4000

400 - (-3) is taking away -3 units from 400, or adding 3 units to 400, thus, 403

400 x 0 = 4000

Gotta put that zero somewhere.

Xd

>The Special Olympic gold medal for mental gymnastics

no, that applies when its multiplying by 10, not 0,
10 boxes of pencils with 400 pencils in each box is 4000 pencils. 0 boxes of pencils is 0 pencils. Its 6th grade math and thats just because the curriculum repeats itself over and over.

I know this is a troll, but:

multiplication of real numbers by zero always = 0 largely just because that's what makes the number system consistent. We can reason about why it makes sense, but in the end it is essentially an arbitrary decision when the 0 was first introduced, and a proven requirement for the number system that we have and use. (There are other ways to create a number system in which multiplying by the zero (addition identity) does not give zero!)

tf mathematician

There are a LOT of autistic retards on this site but you take the cake. ANYTHING X 0 = 0. Period. End of discussion. Go back to your mommies basement and play pong on your Commodore 64

No. You're wrong.

You start by taking away 3 from 400, leaving 398, then you try to take away the leftover one from 8, but you can,t then 9, but you can,t then 3, but you can't, so you add to the highest digit, in this case, the 3, making it a 4. leaving 498.

Retard. What are they teaching at school these days

Anything multiplied by 0 is 1

Pretend that multiplying is counting "groups" of the second number. So if it's 0x400, you have no groups of 400. If you have 1x400, you have one group of 400, and so on.

LOVE THE COMMON CORE!!!!!!

no. you're wrong. zero means "none" of something. If you multiply something by something else than for every 1 in something1, you have a something2.

if for every 1 in number1, there is a nothing, i'll have nothing, cause there are no numbers in nothing.

tf someone who understands basic logic

Wee ta ded. Sofa king wee ta ded.

If I give nothing to 400 homeless people they still have nothing

You multiplicate 400 with nothing and the result is nothing!

It's like 400 traps think they are a girl.

>400 pieces of nothing is still 400 pieces
yeah of NOTHING

These are all the answers OP needs.

>tf someone who understands basic logic
Oh my bad it's so obvious you're smarter than all the ancient Greek and Roman and Egyptian and Chinese mathematicians combined!

The 0 took a long time and an enormous conceptual leap to understand and incorporate into the numeric/arithmetic system, dumbass.

How much is one nothing?
How about 2 nothing's?
Ten?
4000?
U fucking potato

If I give 400 to 0 homeless people I still have 400

OP 400 times nothing still gives nothing, since 0 is litherally nothing

I can't believe I'm doing this, but just in case...

You have four hundred $1.00 bills in your hand.

Put none of them on a table.

How many $1.00 bills are on the table?

Boom.

OP of Look at it another way.

You have four hundred coins in front of you.

Each coin is worth nothing.

What is the monetary value of the coins on the table?

Boom.

That's 400-0 you faggot.

>400 - -3 is 398
400-(-3)=403 baitfag

obvious bait is very obvious

Multiplication is a way to add groups of the same number quickly.

400x0 is essentially adding together 400 0s.

Adding together all of those 0s gives you a combined total of zero.

There, problem solved. No more of your stupid logic and arguments, you vegetable.

I mean (x)^0 is actually 1

This I get. But why is a negative times a negative a positive? Answer that smarty pants.

Take a0 = 0 as an axiom...

Furthermore, a(0) = a(0+0) = a(0) + a(0) = a(0) - a(0) + a(0) - a(0) = 0+0 = 0

Same essential reason as

>youtube.com/watch?v=ij-EK-MZv2Q
he is smart, we are not

I'm very amused about how many guys had been answering to this obvious bait...

If you have 400 bananas zero times, then you have zeerio bananas.

how many is 0 400s?

ITT: grade school dropouts

Not true. They would have an undying hatred of your black heart.

sounds like badass lolis that dress like sluts and fuck many dudes

Terrance, is that you?

>ke no sense why it would be zero? 400 + 1 is 40
400 x 1 = 400 one time = 400
400 x 2 = 400 two times = 800
400 x 0 = 400 0 times = 0

fucking normalfag, at least edit out the ifunny logo

Just change "400" for the word "sex"
sex x 0 = no sex for you

Let's take -2*-1.

This means there is negative one negative two.

-(-2)

A negative negative 2 turns into a positive two.

Boom, genius logic

Multiplication is calculating how many "things" total are in a certain number of groups.

So for example, 4x3 is 4 groups with three things per group. This is the same as 3x4 which is 3 groups with 4 things per group.
No patter how the things are grouped, there are 12 things total.

For 400 x 0, there are 400 groups with 0 things in each group, or 0x400 is 0 groups with 400 things in each group. Either way the only logical answer is 0.

>why is a negative time a negative a positive you sheep

I literally just explained it, you sheep

You can't possibly be this stupid

It's not retarded.... hes trolling

And that has what to do with today and the amount of knowledge we have now?

It's because you're multiplying that number for instance if you do 2x2 you add 2 more to the 2 you already have
So in this case 400 multiplied by ZERO you can't add anything or take anything to it so it says 400

/thread

The biting wit, the reddit reject called someone a "normalfag". Hope you came.

no, you would subtract it by 9 because there are 2 -'s which mean its (-3)^2 but if there was only 1 sign it would be (-3)^1, or three
And on what basis can you say a negative time s a negative is a positive?

/thread

You have a task of multiplying a 400 zero times a.k.a you're not multiplying at all

>Oh my bad it's so obvious you're smarter than all the ancient Greek and Roman and Egyptian and Chinese mathematicians combined!
Must be if they 'couldn't' understand it.
its more likely that they just didn't at the time, cause they didn't use it. >dumbass

kek

flip it, 0x400 = 0
0 added to 0 400 times in a row is always fucking 0

It's not multiplying then, it's exponentiation. You are talking about completely different thing, i don't get it.

No X timws zero is still x. That's the point of the thread

400 x 0 = 2
(There are two 0s)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope you're fucking joking

Think of it this way. Four hundred zeros is still zero. Even if there are 400 of them. Zero is zero. Lern to math faggot. I know school just started today. Try n pay attention now so I can answer less stupid questions at the end of the year

I agree with Op. 0 divided by 400 or 400 divided by 0 are different. There are 400 trees in the forest. You tell your friends the 400 trees are free. No one goes to your forest to take a tree. You still have 400 trees. 400 divided by zero. Most if you penis jockeys just take what they taught in school and run with it.