A question for you guys, especially you Old Worlders. To what extent does religion factor into your national identity...

A question for you guys, especially you Old Worlders. To what extent does religion factor into your national identity? I'm not asking about you as a specific individual but rather how much religion is tied to your nation and national consciousness in your country. The same way an Irish person might be an atheist but self-identify as an "Irish-Catholic" and how many people see Roman Catholicism as being somehow tied to Irish national identity in some ways. How much do you Scottish and English people see Protestantism as being tied to "Scottishness" or "Englishness"? Same goes for other European nations.
I'm autistically interested in this aspect of nationhood

For those like five Swedes that have any sense of national identity, I would say not very much.

Islam belongs to Germany to bh.

Don't even get me started

t. Poorthern Direland

Not at all. Culture is what matters and it is true that christianity has shaped some of the culture but nobody thinks any of it.

Christianity died here.
Protestantism in particular.
Only bavarians are strongly associated with catholicism.

Croatian national identity is all about dat sweet, sweet catholicism.

A correlation maybe?

Sort of but also not at all.

Like the history of it is ingrained in everything, And a large number of people where I live still attend church weekly. But in terms of culture, most of it sort of stems from it. The whole 'screw you europe we is independent' sort of stems from the whole anglicanism thing. 'Church of England' is everywhere, with schools run by them really prevalent.

But the only people recognised as screeching about it being a 'christian country' are either within the church itself, or BNP 'get those darkies out' types. So obviously this gets played up and people try to disassociate from the idea because they want to distance from the 'nationalists'

Do Croats associate themselves with the Roman Catholic Church to the same extent Serbs do with Orthodoxy? I never got quite the same religious vibe talking to Croats as I have to Serbs and I live in a city with a TON of both

Just realised that this makes no sense. Disregard everything!

My fascination with this shit started when I wrote an essay on the Orange Order for school. I found it interesting how intensely religious the national conflicts in Europe used to be. Everything from the Jacobite uprisings to the Troubles.

less and less
we love a bit of of pomp, ceremony and tradition and it has a flot of relgious roots so I can't see it dying completely any time soon

Our culture is based on Christianity

worry not nary a pixel reached the peripheries

Slovaks are atheist nation

Decades of Communism will do that to you. The only reason I think you saw such a revival of religiousness in some other Eastern Bloc countries was because they were intensified during inter-ethnic conflicts like in former Yugoslavia or because it was a backlash against Communism like in Poland and Russia

I'd say yes. We even have a habit of calling Orthodox Christmas "Serbian Christmas", even though they're not the only ones who celebrate it that day. Now I don't know about that religious vibe you mentioned, but the rule remains that Croats are Catholics, and Serbs are Orthodox Christians.

Oh I know

Most here don't believe in God and few go to church. Our modern culture has been shaped by a kind of Christianity that in turn has gotten influenced by paganism, so we still use pagan names for things.

Do you believe there will ever be a revival in the Lutheran church in Norway?

All you have to know is that Charlie is the rightful King and the Jacobites did nothing wrong

tandem triumphans 1745 NVR 4GET

Can't say it will. The Church is pretty dead outside of the southern parts of the country.

The Catholic Church always had a big presence here. Unfortunately, people are becoming less Catholic as less are going to Mass on Sunday and inherently anti-Catholic beliefs are popular such as support for gay marriage. Secularfags are trying to redefine what it is to be Irish

Yeah I know in Poland it is a big part of the national identity. Even around here if you look at Catholic church websites the priest names are always like "Fr. Nowak"

We iz the Christ of Nations kurwaaaa