R

Y

S

Y

E

C

R

E

My favourite album ever, period. I've been waiting for a thread on this album for so long.
Proud to say I own an original issue on vinyl

Were you there when it came out ?

T

Haha no, nowhere near old enough. I bought the record a few months ago off discogs for £8, having waited months for a quality deal to come up. Sometimes McCartney II costs up to £30 ($40ish) on there.

Ah alright. I was wondering because if you were I would love to know what the public reaction to such a thing would be. It must have been pretty out there, especially from the guy who wrote and sang I Saw Her Standing There ~15 years earlier. The reviews for this thing are awful but my ears like it a lot.

It seems like nowadays there's a complete lack of interest in this album, which astounds me. More attention is given to his Wings pursuits which are mostly mediocre (songs like Jet and 1985 are exceptions.)
The album itself did spend 2 weeks at number one in the UK, which is possibly because of its association with Paul himself. The singles received mixed reactions, Coming Up reaching no.2 and Waterfalls no.9, the latter being obscene given that it was behind Stacy Lattislaw and UB40! People obviously don't know a good thing when they hear it

Pic related, my record collection with McCartney II taking pride and place in the centre. Not sure if it will come out the right way up.

A near 10/10. One of McCartney's best.

>People obviously don't know a good thing when they hear it
This. Paul's solo reviews are mostly awful but I like almost all of it. I hate when I put on a record that has like a 2-3 star average rating and it's great. What the fuck are critics priorities?

Yay people like it now

Pretentiousness. Some of the reviews on Rateyourmusic sound utterly ridiculous, not only overly critical but full of convoluted language. Not even sure they know they're doing it.

I've been a solo Macca fan for most of my life.

>God tier
McCartney
Ram
Wild Life
Band On The Run
Wings Over America
London Town
Back To The Egg
McCartney II
Flaming Pie

>Great tier
Red Rose Speedway
Venus & Mars
Wings At The Speed of Sound
Chaos & Creation In The Backyard
Electric Arguments

>Good Tier
Tug of War
Pipes of Peace
Flowers In The Dirt
Off The Ground
Run Devil Run

>Ok tier
Give My Regards To Broad Street
Tripping The Live Fantastic
Unplugged
Memory Almost Full
NEW

>Shit tier
Press To Play
Driving Rain
Kisses On The Bottom
Almost any other live album

Yeah I use that site to find new stuff and some reviews are quite silly, as though they weren't even listening to the music. When I rate a record on RYM my criteria is pretty simple.

a) Did I like it? If yes, 4 stars
b) Did I like it a lot? If yes, 5 stars

r8 my beatles

You've got a god tier collection. A Toot and a Snore in '74 is an impressive find.

thanks brother

Have you seen Rockshow?

yes sir and it rocked my face off. also I just realized I was missing Paul McCartney unplugged in that picture. I had it under MTV Unplugged instead of under Beatles. whoops. Macca unplugged in one of my favorite concerts ever

Largely agree with that, might push Pipes of Peace up to Great Tier if anything. The hidden track at the end of Chaos and Creation is gold.
Yep, and that's all it should be really.
I've never seen a better Beatles collection, put it that way. I've only got a couple of singles that my grandmother (still alive!) passed down to me. Hoping to get Magical Mystery Tour soon but it doesn't seem to have been released on vinyl in the UK until 1976, not sure if that's a Discogs mistake.

I need to revisit that one. I just listened to Clapton's unplugged album this morning. I havent listened to Macca's in years.

>I've only got a couple of singles that my grandmother (still alive!) passed down to me
very cool! which ones are they ?
Ya Clapton's is great too. frankly I think I liked every unplugged album I've heard. here's what I've got

Lol at Rock (Velvets). Is that all five VU studio albums?

haha yeah my groupings are kind of janky but they only really have to make sense to me. it basically means the velvets, their solo members, and stuff that sounds like them.

Twist and Shout with B-side A Taste of Honey, and From Me To You with B-side Thank You Girl (which is my favourite song of the 4)

>Thank You Girl (which is my favourite song of the 4)
My man. Some of my favorite Beatle songs ever are B-Sides. Thank You Girl is literally one of my top10 favorite songs by them.

AND ALL I GOTTA DOOOOO
IS THANK YOU GIRL
THANK YOU GIRL

It's such a simple lyric but it's so wonderful when they sing it that way. I sing this one in the car all the time.

It's great when Thank You Girl comes up on shuffle, I'm into a lot of darker music like Bauhaus and The Cure but the mood switch can be quite relieving sometimes.
The superiority of B-sides extends into solo Paul McCartney as well. Waterfalls is a wonderful song and when Paul (Heaven forbid) dies I'll sure as hell sing that song first, but there's something about the B-side Check My Machine that is completely infectious, I love it. In fact, it would have fitted nicely into McCartney II.

>when Paul (Heaven forbid) dies
The only celebrity death I will cry for. I earnestly believe he's one of the greatest minds and talents ever born.

Completely agree, although I was gutted when Bowie died last year too.
I'm hoping when I'm at university the chance will come up to join a band. If it does, I will insist on performing Waterfalls and One Of These Days as a tribute to him. I'd love to recreate that synth growl as he sings "Some big friendly Polar bear might try to take you home" and at the end of the song too. Not sure I could trust myself not to cry though

McCartney II [Columbia, 1980]

Paulie's 1970 DIY sounded homemade--its unfinished musings intimated an appealingly modest freedom. This one was recorded on a sixteen-track with an engineer in attendance. The instrumentals are doodles, the songs demos by a man who scores the occasional hit only to prove he's a genius. Which he isn't. C

>Not having the bootlegs
>not having anything by Pete Best
Still an impressive collection though.

>>Not having the bootlegs
Are you blind? Not only are there several bootlegs but everything else under "the x sessions" is bootlegged material

Honestly Good Evening New York is an above average live album if only for Billy Joel singing I Saw Her Standing There.

youtube.com/watch?v=LoGA4U6J02s

Do you guys like nu-Paul?

I've never heard a solo Paul album I cared for.

You didn't like McCartney 1, 2, Band on the Run, or Ram ? Wtf

For a man 75 years old, he aged like a fine wine. His body of work is consistently good, surprisingly, especially for a career that long.

His songwriting just doesn't appeal to me. The Beatles only worked as a unit, by themselves they couldn't cut it.

You can't even get into All Things Must Pass ??

Thing is, those initial solo Beatles albums in the early 70s were mostly stockpiled songs they'd never used. Once those were gone...and this is especially true of George and Ringo's stuff which turned into a flaming garbage heap once they used up all their leftover Beatles material.

I've never really listened to it.

lol mate if you're gonna chat shit, at least listen to the material you're chatting shit about.

>Macca will never kiss your bottom

Do you live in the US? Ill start a band with you.

UK mate, but it's a nice thought.
Do you play instruments? I guess I'd probably have to be the singer if I ever was in a band, partly because I'm actually quite good at it and partly because years ago I couldn't give less of a shit about music and didn't keep up learning guitar, piano and violin.
I hate that I can't play instruments though, so I'm gonna buy myself a synthesiser and get learning over the next few months. Recreate all my favourite music and then learn to make my own.

Wow, if you lived in Chicago then we'd be set because I play guitar, bass, keys, and drums (and clarinet if really needed). I don't have a strong singing voice, but I could sing back up. Plus I have mates who also play guitar, drums, and what not.

What a shame that there are people on the other side of the world who would make perfect band partners but here I've never met anyone who a) is musically skilled b) not already in a band and c) interested in making synth-ish music all at the same time.

>no Wonderwall Music

It always seems personal with him.

It happens here too. I'm already in my late 20s and I've found out that you need to play with people that admire the same kind of music that you do in order to function properly as a unit. I've played in too many bands that just didn't have a clear vision.

Completely agree, through school I saw more bands formed that I can count on my hands. Only 2 were still around to perform at our final leaving concert.

Second that. I've been playing with the same guys for 8 years now (23 now, met in high school) and I couldn't imagine playing with anyone else. Similar taste and personal chemistry is so important. Meeting this kind of person after high school/college would be tough to do.

"Mick and I are thicker than thieves. We only disagree on the name of the band, the kind of songs we should write, how they should sound, that sort of thing."

A