Bjork General

This is her best album. Fight me. Or explain why I'm wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wHuXpWSNa-8
youtube.com/watch?v=4dlsPyqyz7M
groove.de/2014/08/21/aphex-twin-groove-interview-2001-english/
bjork.com/#!page=ask
youtube.com/watch?v=mNoo_rNZQ84
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

All her albums are great and anyone who says otherwise should be gassed.

Explain why you're right?

I personally think there's a fair bit of filler on it

I love Debut but this is better

I love it too but it's very basic and dated. She sounds like such a sweetheart on it tho.

Do you guys like the Sugarcubes though? That's the real question.

Post is better but I prefer the debut just because of the cute cover.

Those electronic beats sound dated on some songs and she should have focused more on bringing out her vocal which is ethernal and bends time and space.

Because Homogenic exists. It's the ultimate IDM, trip hop, chilly Icelandic album that can captivate me in its world like no other. Debut is still great.

It's brilliant but Vespertine does the sensuality better, Homogenic has better production, Medúlla is more interesting and Vulnicura is more emotional. It's great like all of her albums but it isn't as good as her best.

Are you just one person? I'm curious.

Yes

I agree with the basic part but I think it's aged well.

Honestly I think Post is her most overrated. Still great but...

Agree. It's her best album, followed by Post. Debut and Post come from an era when Bjork actually cared about melody and songwriting instead being pretentious for the sake of it.

See, I get why everyone says it sounds dated but that's why I like it so much. About 10% of the music I listen to is early 90s acid house, dance mixes, jungle, early 2000s trance because I love that weird utopian sound. It's not in an ironic way, there's just something about it I love. Don't understand what it is though. Like, that horrible rave synth guitar sound at the end of Human Behaviour is so great!

I do agree that the production on Homogenic is out of this world, but to me, I don't think the songwriting is as strong as on Debut or Post. I think it could be that I'm not smart enough, or don't have a good enough background in classical theory. Can either of you shed more light on this?

>See, I get why everyone says it sounds dated but that's why I like it so much. About 10% of the music I listen to is early 90s acid house, dance mixes, jungle, early 2000s trance because I love that weird utopian sound. It's not in an ironic way, there's just something about it I love. Don't understand what it is though. Like, that horrible rave synth guitar sound at the end of Human Behaviour is so great!
Don't worry, you're not the only one. Debut is her most electronic album and I (as a fan of synths) love it. Debut has so many good songs: Human Behaviour, Crying, Venus as a Boy, Big Time Sensuality (the single version - Fluke minimix is superior), Violently Happy, Play Dead, Come to Me, One Day. I like even There's More To Life Than This.

was There's More To Life Than This recorded in a night club?

This youtube.com/watch?v=wHuXpWSNa-8 is better than anything from Homogenic, Vespertine, etc. Techno/synthpop Bjork was the best Bjork.

I think it's her weakest but I've also never been much for dance music. It's got some great tunes - Human Behavior, Venus As A Boy, Come To Me, Play Dead. But as a whole I have a hard time feeling enthusiastic about it. I think Post was a much better album personally, I actually enjoyed that one from start to finish.

Welcome to Bangkok

I've been waiting my whole life to hear that track or actually any of her tracks, especially something from Debut in a club. Unfortunately nothing so far. I wonder if they played her in 90's?

Maybe. It sounds very spontaneous.

>but I've also never been much for dance music
That explains everything.

I think maybe I need to revisit Post. Obviously I love Hyperballad and Army of Me, but those are the only two I've really listened to repeatedly. After Post, for me, everything gets a bit too abstract. She has her moments on Homogenic, but it's mostly in the production. A bit too much 'Hooooooooooooowww, cannnn Iiiiii Beeeee.... the Mooooountaaaaaayn Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooon???' with less of a dedication to melody and timing like she's had before

I'm glad I'm not the only one. You know I'm so sad that her and Goldie didn't make it. It would have been so nice

Yeah, not my thing at all. Albums like Medulla or Vulnicura are much more my speed.

I think she throws notions like conventional melody and timing further and further away with each album. She sort of just dramatically free forms over the instrumentals after a few albums and that's fine by me, it's different.

Yes, Homogenic sounds so forced. Even the chorus of Joga sounds forced if you think about it. Bjork started to believe in her own Bjorkisms and forgot to make good melodies like before. Shame that she embraced those cliche strings so much and forgot about some good beats and synth melodies.

I guess maybe it's something I can learn to appreciate. I mean I loved the Drift by Scott Walker and he does that quite a bit there. But also, I just love the idea of Bjork as a pop star I think. Makes me think of the way I experienced the internet as a kid for some reason

Vespertine and Vulnicura are both better. bc the songs are better and sound better. Vulnicura is inconsistent but the high points are very high and it's the most genuinely avant garde thing she's ever done.

On a related topic... she's made a big stink several times about how people don't think she made her own beats for this or that album because she always "works with" various electronic producers, so I assumed she was telling the truth and really did do basically everything for a long time. Then I realized that the entire beat of Undo is just a slightly re-arranged sample of the track "1% in 2/3 speed" by a producer called Opiate: youtube.com/watch?v=4dlsPyqyz7M

Then I saw Bjork post some totally unrealistic nonsense about "people don't like my bad albums because muh misogyny". This insecurity and seeming dishonesty about how much of her production she actually does has left me wondering whether Bjork is actually just another studio pop star who has everything done for her most of the time.

Come on now, she spent 4 years in that house in nature carefully crafting every microbeat for Vespertine and that attention to microbeats is fascinating on that album.
Obviously no can guarantee she dod everything on her own but Bjork is one of the last people I'd say is secretely a manufactured pop star because she has showed plenty of musical talent and attention to so gcrafting over the past 3 decades.

I think Bjork is the sort of person that even if she does work with myriad producers and songwriters, her sound is too consistent with itself for her not to have some quite strong colouring effect on it. Maybe she doesn't actually program anything at all (I think she probably does but anyway) but she might well sit in the studio and say 'I want it to sound colder and more biscuity' or 'Listen to this traditional japanese thumb piano, let's work this in somehow

Who do you think is more involved in their music, Bjork or Grimes?

>3 years in the woods
Yeah that's what she says, but clearly Undo is a straight sample of that Opiate track, the only alteration being how long the bar length is. In almost every interview she inserts stuff about how she's really diligent and musically serious and skilled. The insecurity and the fact that clearly a lot of her work is produced mostly by the people she "worked with" (Vulnicura is clearly 100% Arca except the strings), makes me think she's making up for what she knows is the truth. According to an Aphex interview from long ago she's kind of a weird career obsessed business person.

Just makes me wonder.

Remimder not to respond to the Grimes provocator ITT. Keep the Björk love alive!

Wasn't Arca invited when 95% of the album was finished already?

That's what she says. But listen to the album. Either she somehow managed to completely imitate loads of production techniques and habits used by Arca and then had him come in for some reason, or that music was produced by Arca. Which sounds more likely? 90% done could mean "I'm a singer so once the lyrics and melodies and chords are written that's 90% of the album done". Also, I read in an interview somewhere that Quicksand came in fully completed from Arca and then just got a vocal track.

I really fucking loved Medùlla, no idea why everyone hates it, it's got the second most qt cover, second to Debut. Debut was amazing too, fav tracks were Like Someone In Love, and Venus As a Boy

Read interviews with her producers, ever since Post they mainly come in when the album/songs are 95% done. And even on Debut and Post she did quite a bit, Nellee Hooper actually originally said no to come back for Post, and said she's got enough talent to produce it on her own. I don't see the problem with Undo, Opiate gets a co-write credit.

Arca came in when it was basically finished, he listened to the whole unfinished album, cried he thought it was that good and said he didn't think he needed to add anything. There's an interview somewhere about Bjork talking about how she made the beats for the album.

Probably because Medulla is the most explicitly subversive of her major albums as it's basically an a capella release put through Bjork's production filter. It's got its share of her blueprints but it's still a bit of an odd duck in her discography. I love it too but I can see how it'd be a polarizing release.

>According to an Aphex interview from long ago she's kind of a weird career obsessed business person.
source?

groove.de/2014/08/21/aphex-twin-groove-interview-2001-english/

Yeah. That's always what they say. She said the same thing about Vespertine but clearly Opiate made substantial parts of the sounds on that album. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a business arrangement. "Let me say I produced these tracks mostly and I'll let you do this project with me that will massively expand your audience". I really don't believe that the sounds on History of Touches, Family, Mouth Mantra, Notget, and Quicksand were made by someone other than Arca. The linked Aphex interview above also goes into her proclivity for grabbing up new trendy "techno boys" to leech their newness from them.

I'm sure she does some stuff but it seems like she's insecure about it and from the sound of the records it seems likely other people are doing a lot of stuff on some of the albums.

>Grimes provocator
Interesting. What is your favorite Grimes album?

Can't wait to hear her new album boys

Sorry but I think I’m going to believe Bjork and her producers on this one. I’d be insecure too if people thought Matmos had produced my album instead of doing programming one one track (medulla) or percussion on a few (Vespertine) when I’d been working on it for years, and what you just said

The Tinder album?

Birthday is one of the greatest songs ever recorded. I need to go back and revisit them.

Yes, at some point I listened to them more than her solo stuff. Some insanely great tracks

vespertine

because post is a direct upgrade. both are fantastic, id rate debut her second best, but post is so fucking good.

I've actually never bothered to move past Debut because I also love that 90s techno sound and I know her subsequent releases won't satisfy that itch even though I'd probably like her other albums too. I think it was at least 5 years ago now that I downloaded an at the time complete discography and listened to Debut.

She definitely doesn't stick to it. You might like some of Post but even then she was moving away from it pretty quickly, and it's gone by Homogenic. If you're in it for the pop appeal then that diminishes as the records progress save maybe going from Medulla to Volta, but otherwise the albums get increasingly abstract in nature. I'd still check the later stuff out, just don't expect that 90s techno sound. If you like the trip hoppier aspects of Debut then there's still something worth checking out in the subsequent releases relative to it.

Mate did you even read that Aphex interview? He is really positive about Björk

Any speculation as to what her new album is going to be like? Is it going to be a return to her Debut and Post era stuff- closer to her later albums- or something entirely new and different?
Also who else /hypegame/ here?

It WILL be happier. Vulnicura's great but it's also exhaustingly depressing, I don't think she's got enough dirty laundry to air out to make another record like it, or even the will to do so. I don't know if it'll be poppier but I doubt she'll go lower emotionally.

RDJ was talking about how easy it would be to bring explosives onto a plane 10 days before 9/11

I hope it's like Volta

I really need to give Volta another listen. I've only listened to it once and I even recall finding it decent.

Choa>Grimes>>>>>>Bjork
Just a remainder :)

Here’s what we know so far

There'll be Woodwinds, birdsong, going in a direction she went with Batabid and Ambergris March. It's about utopia and being in love.

She's filmed a video for a song called The Gate.

There's a really melodic, "straightforward" song called "Allow" but she's not sure if it'll be on the album.

Other songs called Features Creatures and Loss. Rabit co-produced Loss, has a "crushing, jackhammer rhythm"

Probably won't be any strings as she's kind of sick of them

Here’s the full interview
imgur.com/a/gMLEm

lol nope

I'm the guy who asked- you're a great man user I would haev your babies. Thanks a bunch.

I was joking because people think it's her worst. I dont think it's her worst, but it's definitely near the bottom
If I were to be serious, I hope her new album is just woodwind based. Or Vespertine like

she also had Haxan Cloak if I recall correctly. not too different from his style either
but yeah the Arca influence is clear. I hope Arca works wonders again

Dubs confirm.

nvm, trips!

I did. Did you? I didn't say he was "negative" about her. I said he said that she tries to grab up trendy "techno boys" to syphon their novelty, and that she's success obsessed and does not relate to people naturally. He says both things. Why are people on Sup Forums so bad at basic reasoning / having an honest conversation? What's the average age here?

Sup Forums is commonly identified as one of the more rampantly underage boards on the site.

by what metric? genuinely curious. Before this site got shitty around 2013, the only boards the were clearly underaged were Sup Forums and Sup Forums. now the election+gamergate+r/the_donald has ruined Sup Forums. I guess Sup Forums has the rise in hiphop popularity, but even then there are a lot of college adults that like hip hop

bump

Mama Bjork best Bjork.

P O S T
O
S
T

Her best. Patricians know it.

>Patricians know it.
Play nice user. All Bjork is patrician.

I like the album version better

Seconded. Don't know why. Both are great

Bjork threads are so orderly and stately. I forgot i was on Sup Forums for a second.

''I have to tell you- I'm a big fan of triangles.''

bjork.com/#!page=ask
Ask her a question and screenshot for here.

youtube.com/watch?v=mNoo_rNZQ84

I love bjork so much!!!!

thanks for the share. she only seemed to have done this during Biophilia. who knows
>bjork's answer
oh , they change all the time , most recently i read a book called promothean ambitions . it is about the history of alchemy .
interesting.

also she implied her grandpa and grandma died this decade. must mean her family has some good health. hopefully Björk sticks around for a while

Volta is so underated and amazing

I see who you are
Vertebrae by vertebrae
Pneumonia
The dull flame of desire
My juvenile

are amazing songs, honestly I do think Biophilia is her worst record

Has anyone ever noticed Bjork has a lot of Hispanic fans?
>inb4 Ricardo

>bjork's answer
>no not really . that was for sure a magical time !!! but im not too nostalgic about stuff like that , im usually eager to move on

in regards to the Subarcubes btw

>(Recorded Live at the Milk Bar Toilets)
It's right in the name user. It's (was?) a bar in London.

The middle third is definitely some of her all-time best work. The beginning and ending thirds kind of pale in comparison to that 3 song run.

>not liking lionsong and notget

Notget's in the middle third so I was talking about it and Lionsong's fine, just not a scratch on Black Lake or Family.

It was. I think it was the Milk Bar in London. It says in the sleeve notes.

Just revisited Volta. Kinda meh as a whole except for Declare Independence which is 10/10 as fuck.

Declare independence is such a great track. Should have been the closer imo.

Wow lol björk had an "intense swans obsession" apparently

Pretty based

She's patrician

This

Also Venus As A Boy is a masterpiece

>tfw im violently unhappy

One of my happiest experiences was listening to Debut for the first time (first time listening to bjork too). I listened to it at just the right moment in my life... it was magical..

:( :( :(

Debut sounds a little to 90s imo