I did it… I finally fucking became a patrician

I finally listened to every single album he has given an 8. I've finally become a patrician. AMA

Which ones did you like the best and which ones were shit

>implying that makes you a patrician

of the 9's, The Doors, VU&N, Astral Weeks, and Desert Shore were my least favorites, while my favorites were Trout Mask Replica, Faust, Geek the Girl, and Yerself is Steam
as for the 8's, my least favorites were Tragedy by Julia Holter, Yo La Tengo's May I Sing With Me, and Pixies' Surfer Rosa. As for my favorites it would have to be Boredom's Vision Creation Newsom and Eno's Taking Tiger Moutain By Strategy
how does it not? I wasn't getting any good recommendations from Sup Forums, that's for sure

>Astral Weeks, Desert Shore, Surfer Rosa, Tragedy
>Least favorites
And you call yourself patrician?

Listened to Geek the Girl since it snubbed NIN for the #1 spot in 1994 and it impressed the fuck out of me. Scaruffi is like Ebert in a lot of ways, even if you disagree with him, you always see where he's coming from.

Shit taste lol

all pop/rock trash no better than EDM or memerap

listen to classical and stop being a pleb

hello my patrician brother

both are great records
I mean, they're good but ultimately I have to have least favorites
what makes you think that's not my next endeavor? Scaruffi implied that the top rock records don't even come close to his jazz or classical favorites. I might even order copies of his history books.
pleb
hello

>I might even order copies of his history books.

why? he is a science teacher, can't even play a musical instrument

yet he knows more about music than you could learn in three lifetimes

Isn't this man a paedophile?

If mindlessly listening to albums someone else likes makes you patrician I'd rather kill myself, as you should

that's right op, you should only listen to albums that no one else likes

thats not what he said at all

Everyone's a paedophile.

sorry, you should only mindlessly listen to albums that no one else likes

Impressionable teens think listening to a blogger who some call ''patrician'' makes their taste ''better''.

What about his 9s?

what is your favorite Scaruffi quote

let's post some of our favorite underappreciated 8s

>Prince basically transformed the moaning and screaming of copulation into a style of singing, a neurotic, delirious falsetto that continuously referenced sexual pleasure

what's the difference between listening to every 8-9 of Scaruffi and getting recs on Sup Forums? it's practically the same, except Scaruffi has decent taste
nope, memers took him out of context. It was an editorial/think piece on why he voted against gay marriage. he also made analogies to incest, etc. to explain why he's against gay marriage
I messed up the OP. I meant to say I listened to all his 8-9.5's
not music related but some of his best quotes are in the travel section
regarding the seven wonders of the world
>These were compiled (probably) by Herodotus, who lived when they were still standing (and not too far from his place). Not my fault if most of these have been destroyed.
regarding the countries he's visited
>Ironically it is really difficult to decide how many independent countries there are in the world because different countries and agencies recognize different countries. For example, i recognize Taiwan, Somaliland and Palestine and i used to recognize Tibet before everybody abandoned it, and i come up with 198 independent countries.
I was surprised he gave that an 8 after listening desu

>I was surprised he gave that an 8 after listening desu
do you think it was undeserving or just not something you expected him to like so much?

it seems like something he's give a 6.5-7.5 to, which is still good on his scale. I can say the same for many of his 8's. plenty of 7-7.5's that I'm almost surprised he didn't give 8's

i think he said once that the number attached to an album is kind of arbitrary and just something he does to appease readers who demand something concrete and numerical. sometimes there can be big disconnects between what he writes and his scores, though. for instance, he says on the kinks:
>The Kinks were probably the most original British band of their time with the Rolling Stones and the Who. Unlike everybody else, the Kinks played simple melodic songs but not easy-listening a` la Merseybeat. The Kinks were purveyors of the melodic miniature, but with a much stronger emphasis on the riff than the Beatles ever dreamed of. Their style was sophisticated and full of wit, a fact which turned each song into a realistic vignette of middle-class life. They were by far the band most rooted in the British tradition, with a keen awareness of history and British values. In fact, the young Ray Davies sang about himself and his generation and the adult Ray Davies would sing about the British nation, his goal consistently Homeric in creating myth out of public history and social memory. Ray Davies may well be the greatest bard of nostalgy in the history of rock music.
They also invented the most famous riff of all times, You Really Got Me, and therefore single-handedly invented garage-rock, hard-rock and heavy-metal. They are also among the inventors of the concept album and the most prolific writers of rock operas ever. All in all, not a small feat.
yet only grants them a single 7.