National Friendships/Special Relationships

Do you any of you believe in this concept? Two separate nation-states who are so close culturally/politically that they can be considered actual friends, not just allies of convenience? Got into an argument with a "realist" classmate over this, was just curious to see what Sup Forums thinks

I'll start with the obvious one: the US and our big bro to the north, Canada

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.axishistory.com//viewtopic.php?t=214101
theguardian.com/world/us-embassy-cables-documents/38987
rt.com/news/370575-us-tanks-holland-nato-russia/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

canadians are 100 percent indistinguishable from americani, so yes

No, there's no such thing.

:(

n-no that's not possible

We love Canadians. Not only because of the WW2, but because our best tourists, and some of the great people I have met, are Canadian. ALso did my post-doc in Toronto - so very beautiful.

>74472479
Moron who has never left NJ or some other shitty american city. Your country is a shithole (did my MSc there, your capital region is a joke)

I think any duo has a chance of forging friendships, though I think that, just like with people, there could be different types of friendships, maybe not all of them as fluffy as Canada and America, but friendships nontheless.

Formalities call for everyone to be called allies or partners, but I, like you, enjoy using human relationships to explain the way certain nations behave with one another.

I also think there's love/hate relationships out there. Like tsunderes, but nation-sized

Do you really think so? What about England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland? Four separate nations. Any one of them could leave voluntarily at any time.

>canadians are 100 percent indistinguishable from americani

That's not true, though. People from Quebec are clearly distinguishable from Americans.

i mean we're kinda 4 countries in one, so kinda
we have a healthy amount of contempt/disdain for each other but none enough to leave

>murrika and canucks special realtionship
>no mention of bongland

this triggers the brit

Canada and the US are essentially the same, at least across the border north/south (except quebec but they aren't really Canadian).

Mainly because they were literally the same people that the british drew another of their wonderful border lines though.

The Americans attempted to invade Canada during the Revolution. There's a reason you weren't part of the States.

>People from Quebec are clearly distinguishable from Americans

Oui, mais theyre not truly canadian as canada is an anglo country. Plus theyre always crying aboot secession

Do you speak french?

I hadn't thought of the home nations, that's a fair point.

you probably would have been the same country if the yank hadn't chimped out with the tea chucking

Un peu

Can an America - Mexico friendship exist?

>Your country is a shithole (did my MSc there, your capital region is a joke)

By capital region, do you mean the Washington DC area? That is honestly one of the worst parts of our country, streets are constantly closed for protests, the metro system NEVER works, and it has one of the highest crime rates among major cities in the country. But I still love it. The monuments are terrific, there are so many interesting areas of the city, honestly if you don't wander into Anacostia you'll find something fun or cool. And there is a lovely cherry blossom festival in most o the city in March, in honor of a gift of cherry blossom trees the Japanese Emperor gave us in 1912. The trees were so popular that we kept them growing even when we were literally at war with Japan. You should come visit in the spring, it's beautiful.

By the way, the USA's true "capital region" is not Washington DC. Washington is a compromise, a political deal made to settle debts. Our real capitals, culturally speaking, are New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Have you been to other parts of our country? I currently live in DC, and I like it here, but I have to admit it's not anywhere near the best that the USA has to offer.

>the greater provinces of canada

can you imagine... no massive import of slavery in an attempt to out compete euro nations, a virtually white nation with universal healthcare...

South and North Korea

The Dutch and French? Have they ever fought fuck if I know.

No, we went up there and asked politely but were refused by those who had grown accustomed to having their lips placed firmly on the Queens posterior.

go back 100 years and Australians certainly thought there was

>queen's posterior
>there was no queen at that time

well at least you're meeting the stereotype for your nation

>literal northern irish terrorists try to blow up thatcher
>scotland about to vote to leave
>irish fought an independence war against England

yeah m8 for sure

quick history lesson: everyone in europe has fought everyone else loads of time
that's all for today

Scotland isn't about to vote leave. The SNP just lost in the locals yesterday badly.

Australia and Canada

Fire & Ice

Canadians are different to americans. They're less superficial.

nah m8

The Anglo-Portuguese Alliance (or Aliança Luso-Britânica), ratified at the Treaty of Windsor in 1386, between England (succeeded by the United Kingdom) and Portugal is the oldest alliance in the world that is still in force – with the earliest treaty dating back to the Anglo-Portuguese Treaty of 1373.

There was a British-Portuguese tiff in Africa, though.

i think it depends on time and place, history

if shit went down during your formative years, or you went through some stuff together during a difficult time in history like a war or something

geographical closeness helps too

i think it's easy to be a 'realist' and say this can't occur at the scale of nations and governments but i dunno

australia does it's own thing and has concerns and agendas that don't have anything to do with us but bumping into an aussie overseas can be a relief

and if we went to war for or alongside them it wouldn't be just because of some dry obligation as their ally

people would want to go

>>literal northern irish terrorists try to blow up thatcher
she was hated just as much in the north of england
>>scotland about to vote to leave
not happening. they had a chance 3 years ago and said no and it looks likely they won't get another one
>>irish fought an independence war against England
but these day, in real life, we get on perfectly fine despite what our interactions on here would have you think. paddys are all cunts on here for some reason

Please notice me senpai...

does it not already exist?

Australia and New Zealand

they're basically treated as a state of Australia. There's free movement between the countries, we fought together as a single army in both world wars, they can claim welfare here without being citizens etc etc

wtf

you've been noticed and the response is gonna be YUGE, YUGE I TELL YA

ah yeah my mistake forgot that the northern english were basically the IRA

This isn't entirely true. The American revolutionaries were far more concerned with defending their own than they were with Canada. Remember, in the 1770s Canada was overwhelmingly French-speaking and Catholic, the Founding Fathers had no interest in it.

The massive influx of English Protestants started after the Revolution, ironically many of them were American colonists who had sided with the Brits during the war and feared revolution.

>The Dutch and French? Have they ever fought fuck if I know.

They have. Napoleon installed his little brother Louis as new king of Holland after defeating the Netherlands in battle. Louis was, apparently, a good king, so good that he actually started to piss of Napoleon (because Louis put the interest of the Dutch people first). So Napoleon just annexed the place. Not a smart move.

Yeah, if only your legislators and monarch hadn't cracked down so hard on American colonists. They spent 25 times more on the Revolution than they would have earned from the taxes on stamps and molasses lol. Not to mention the long-term benefits of controlling the US, which has 1/3 of the world's coal, at the peak of the industrial revolution.

Also, remember that our "rebels" were singing and toasting to King George 3rd's good health as late as 1776. There were so many opportunities to stop this and he took no action. Imagine if Britain had a smart man on he throne at that time. How different would the world be?

The USA, east of the Miss. River, has 1/3 of the world's coal. If you include the Louisiana purchase, it has all that AND 25% of the world's food supply. Combined with the UK....who could have stopped such a nation in the 1800s? Who would have dared to try?

>if only your legislators and monarch hadn't cracked down so hard on American colonists
>this meme again

I sure hope that's the case. Nowadays you can't even talk about that without the Trump discourse popping up.

Boy I caN'T WAIT

the revolutionists didn't want to pay the taxes for what it cost to protect them from french invasion plain and simple

you look at the u.s. today and it's hard to justify what they claimed they fought for when the nations that stayed loyal to the crown have a better standard of living in general for the common man

>the common man

Have you ever met a proletariat? 90% of the time they're just fucking awful people. They can go fuck thenselves, work and try hard at life and by god you'll live like a king here. Do nothing and you'll die on the street though.

No, I mean they literally invaded Canada during the Revolutionary War, in fact it was the first serious military action after Lexington and Concord. The Congress had this idea that the French in Quebec (which was just called Canada at the time) would join them, and it didn't work out.

ANGLO PRIDE
dw, we love you too baby

>we 'ate zee briteesh non?
>oui oui, we 'ate zee british!
>ow aboot we side with zee emericaans
>sacre' bleu, this is zee madness non pas!

I like this one better

it wouldn't be /cum/ without you baby

Anymore /cum/ memes?

MLS better than Liga MX in a decade or so

The Netherlands has some proper friendships. Because we are diplomatically quite influential, economically important (as we control many vital resources) and appear as non-threatening. Culturally and politically we're also a bridge between Germanics and Anglos.

So we can easily call in support from countries like Germany, France, the UK, Denmark, Norway and the USA.

Another feature of our country is that the doors are always open to us in most parts of the world. Because of the combination of having megacorporations and being non-threatening.

>Culturally and politically we're also a bridge between Germanics and Anglos
How do you not pass out from the stress?

>call in support from countries like Germany

do they provide you with bicycles user

The Dutch will become an empire again.

>sea levels rising
>Dutch come in and save NYC first
>everyone pays the Netherlands to save the day
>We all end up speaking Dutch

You know we have a combined army now.

are the netherlands the saddle to the german rider user

I don't know. But we supply their finances, oil and gas and agriculture.

More like the brains. The Dutch can at least win a war without spending 90% of its GDP

forum.axishistory.com//viewtopic.php?t=214101

We're the last bastion of American power in the USA now. Now the UK is gone. That's why the suck up to Poland so hard I guess.

theguardian.com/world/us-embassy-cables-documents/38987

I ain't clicking that shit.

*American power in the EU.

Reminder that Maggie Thatcher was in fact a milk snatcher and the Germans did in fact steal all the bicycles.

>Netherlands sell its tanks to Finland
>USA ships in 1600 new ones
welp

rt.com/news/370575-us-tanks-holland-nato-russia/

I think the US special relationship is something people talk about a lot but it falls apart when you really look at it

Thass rite. Ivan better bag up

There is enough equipment here to invade France I think.

Bringin' a tear to my eye. The Anglosphere beyond the US is our legal wife, but Mexico is our mestiza mistress. That would make a good cuntball may-may.

We were total bros until Trump had to go fucking shit up with absolutely zero provocation. It's okay though familia, I still love you.

>you only need to get as far as paris for them to surrender

that's not saying a lot dutch user

Not a bad idea Tbh
>invade France
>Kidnap chefs, cheese mongers, bakers
>American cuisine improves 100% overnight

It's pretty hard to drive through Belgium without getting blown up around Brussels.

Not even the Belgians can do that.

Are you kidding? Have some pride. American food tastes much better.

The best food comes from Louisiana, a region settled by the French

America has good food but France is elder god tier. To claim otherwise is just ridiculous.
Also this.

The problem with the French is that they eat everything. If you put a dead squirrel on their plate they would eat it.

Squirrel is delicious though.

You're downplaying the Spanish influence in their spicy cuisine. You seriously think the dainty frogs can handle that heat?

Also, you ought to be ashamed for not considering Thanksgiving the greatest of all American culinary achievements. It's not a mere coincidence that it is similar to the equally delicious Sunday Roast enjoyed by Britons once a week.

Dutch cuisine has eliminated everything that could possibly be offensive.
So besides your veggies, it's all hearty, sugary or fatty foods.

Sour, bitter and spicy foods are officially banned. Just like organs.

I was amazed when reading about Dutch cuisine that you often eat sausage, spinach, and potatoes in one dish as your most common meal. Very similar to what I have when I can't be bothered to cook anything fancy i.e. nearly every night.

>I'll start with the obvious one: the US and our big bro to the north, Canada
The one you are currently going into a trade war with?

So it's settled. We invade France.

French/Cajun cuisine IMO, is much better than any British food or British contribution.

When foreigners don't serve any veggies I always feel something on my plate is missing.

You just know something is missing from the dish.