Do you like the direction that hip-hop and rap culture is taking nowadays?

Do you like the direction that hip-hop and rap culture is taking nowadays?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hIq4UTgqDAc
youtube.com/watch?v=w3xON2BapBY
youtube.com/watch?v=PhqKMb01r_Q
instagram.com/aiyanaalewis/
youtube.com/watch?v=WMbjP-xmX50
youtube.com/watch?v=HjNTu8jdukA
youtube.com/watch?v=AVRv1dA5Byc
youtube.com/watch?v=Hm1YFszJWbQ
youtu.be/rrIoYKyVJOY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No, it's fucking shite.

I cant remember any of these fuckin songs!

hip-hop/rap peaked in the early 90s

youtube.com/watch?v=hIq4UTgqDAc
youtube.com/watch?v=w3xON2BapBY
youtube.com/watch?v=PhqKMb01r_Q

>hip-hop/rap peaked in the early 90s
>
>youtube.com/watch?v=hIq4UTgqDAc
>youtube.com/watch?v=w3xON2BapBY
>youtube.com/watch?v=PhqKMb01r_Q

A genre has to be good to begin with in order to peak

>A genre has to be good to begin with in order to peak
literally false

actually it peaked in the early 2010s

>best Kendrick
>best Drake
>best Curren$y
>best A$AP Rocky
>MBDTF
>trap in between hardcore party shit like Flocka and becoming a commercialized quasi-pop mess
>before the metrosexual incoherent auto-tune onslaught
>Wayne had yet to sully his discography (Carter IV was ok) and was still considered a top rapper

t. under 20 years old

NBA YoungBoy is going to be huge if he doesn't get Schmurda'd

I'm not sure desu

>Kendrick, Drake, Chance, Travis and Future are at their worsts
>Kanye is still hiding
>hip hop's most intriguing character of 2016: Lil Yachty, threw away everything that made him interesting.
>Carti is absolute garbage
>Migos are overused

On the plus side

>XXXTENTACION and Ski Mask The Slump God are blowing up and making great music
>The new "Soundcloud Rap" era could end up being Hip Hop's Attitude Era
>Jay-Z could start a trend of washed up rappers actually putting in effort again
>Hopsin fans don't exist anymore

ma dude

>XXXTENTACION
>great music.
opinion discarded.

>best Kendrick
i personally don't give a fuck about him or care to listen to him
>best Drake
absolute trash from beginning to end
>best Curren$y
literal who
>best A$AP Rocky
song with juicy j is okay. don't care to listen to anything else from him though
>MBDTF
who?
>trap in between hardcore party shit like Flocka and becoming a commercialized quasi-pop mess
all garbage
>before the metrosexual incoherent auto-tune onslaught
sure
>Wayne had yet to sully his discography (Carter IV was ok) and was still considered a top rapper
he was always trash

you are a real dummy, my dude

you're a real underageb& if you're being serious, my dude.

hip hop is unimaginably boring nowadays. i miss lil b

dude, siiiiiick opinion

Chief Keef ruined the new generation of rap, literally every new rapper sounds like him but more energetic with faster beats. (also every fag rapper has dreads now)

*every new soundcloud/mumble rapper I meant, there's some traditional rappers blowing up right now

I like that mumble rap is letting producers shine, most of which are white. That's kind of funny

t. grime listener

Who that dumb-looking girl on the left?

don't know but I wanna plaster her with my cum

>Legitimately thinks Drake and XXXtentacion is good music
No wonder this board is turning to shit. t. underage

I can relate. She does have a nice face to cum on.

this

instagram.com/aiyanaalewis/

she's not as hot on IG

She is cute as fuck and I'm not even a nigger.

There's good hip-hop being made, there's bad hip-hop. We have some bad and some good, most is bad, ofc, but don't act like there ain't good hip hop albuns comming out. Trap/soundcloud ain't killing the genre, bad music is, and many of the popular rap songs are not that good.

Hey! Thanks anyway.

When i was growing up rap was gangsta, baggy pants, and was mostly made by lower class blacks.
In the obama years rap evolved into this pretentious middle class garbage, obsessed with fashion and art, and white hipsters who write for p4k would shove it in your face and give tens to every nigger who put fart noises on a record.
There was also trap which seems to be hitting a wall, or its peak of popularity.
Rap seems to be going down a very crigny road, the people being shoved in your face are like cringy as fuck "emo" rappers and faggots like xxxtension.
Personally im way too old for this shit and i have already seen rap metal done before, and way better

If i had control over what rap was going to become i would like it to become more laid back, lo fi, or something like nujabes. Maybe return to being lyrical again.
Something relaxing like those compilations you find on youtube.

youtube.com/watch?v=WMbjP-xmX50

I would also like it if pop culture in general moved onto a different kind of music that wasnt edm, trap, or garbage pop music.
I have absurdist fantasies where shoegaze goes mainstream and the top 40 sounds like you feel asleep inside a radiator. I would call it shoepop

>hah hah hopsin is bad but lil yachty isnt complete trash.
You are the catalyst for bad music, neck yourself for our sakes.

Lil Yachty more like Litty Yachty

nah she does it for me
thanks

Yep it's more fun

I feel like mainstream rap is heading towards a sound that doesn't have a lot of depth it. However underground rap is still strong as ever and rap as a whole has never been more varied

lil yatchy is beyond terrible. He's an objectivly bad musician.

Less emphasis is placed on the music as everybody who's really interested into hip hop is just turning into a rapper and not a musician

that album is a fucking 10/10 honestly. People shit on Carti now but that album will go down as a defining album for the current scene

No. Trap is so fucking boring and annoying. Everything is terrible.
Tyler's the only good new school artist and he only just became kind of popular with his fourth album. Tyler and Rocky are the only rappers who can save modern hip-hop.

>Jay-Z could start a trend of washed up rappers actually putting in effort again

Jay Z is garbage and put absolutely no effort into 4:44.

>Chief Keef ruined the new generation of rap
You mean Lil B.

post good underground rappers

im just waiting for emiems new albums

it's been dead since soulja boy memed his way into the spotlight. internet has ruined hip-hop.

i agree with this
rap and hip hop used to be storytelling focused, you would hear humorous anecdotes, or wisdom passed down in bars set to music. ( youtube.com/watch?v=HjNTu8jdukA youtube.com/watch?v=AVRv1dA5Byc )

But then social media showed up on the scene and now rap lyrics sound like tweets
youtube.com/watch?v=Hm1YFszJWbQ

Trap music is kind of fucking trash in my opinion

I'm mostly into artists who rose up in the late 90's and through the 2000's plus some modern ones.
I like Aesop Rock, MF DOOM, Blueprint, El-P/Run The Jewels, Clipping. Earl Sweatshirt is pretty cool and I think Tyler is pretty cool though he does have a lot of shit songs imo.

I like the style of hip hop that comes with an appreciation for the art form of constructing the rhymes, for example MF DOOM's ability to make every syllable of the line rhyme with every syllable of the next line instead of just having a the last word of the line rhyme. I also think the compositions are more interesting, lots of artists had a healthy mix of sampling, synthesizers and real instruments. Production-wise I fucking love Aesop Rock, specifically his album Skelethon, he samples real drums and goes beyond the standard kick/snare tempo, he has intricate and natural sounding patterns with fills and shit and subtle imperfections while also doing something like getting out the bass guitar and putting in a catchy groove, while also having incredibly interesting and verbose raps that require multiple listens and further analysis to fully understand (he statistically has a vocabulary significantly greater than that of any other rapper out there)
So yeah-
the new old school: fly as fuck
trap music: like 70% shit desu

is this a youtube comment

>his favorite track isn't Kelly K

idk but carti's mixtape's the hottest shit that dropped in the last 20 years

flex >
those last 3 are all great though

nigga she looks better on ig

ITT BUTTHURT "OLD SKOOL" NIGGAS

playboi carti is where it's at faggets

in new yokrjk i milli rock, huidung from the cops, shooting at them opps, runnin from the cops cux i run this block niguaaassssss

I don't know how I feel about the sea change in Hip Hop as it currently stands. I think mumble rap (for lack of a better word) has some things to offer, and in some ways parallels the funk movement as far as the feel of the music reigning supreme over the lyricism or concept. At the same time, none of these guys at the top right now are proficient at fucking anything. At least with funk they were great musicians who would get high as fuck and play in the pocket/groove. People like Carti stand on the shoulders of their producers (and treat them like shit mind you) and then literally do fuckall on the mic. And because popularity in hip hop is 100% branding, as long as they wear some streetwear and have some fucking colored cornrows or a kooky hairstyle they rake in millions

Untouchable is song of the year. Young boy gonna die unless he leaves LA tho.

>Wayne had yet to sully his discography (Carter IV was ok)
he had IANAHB and fucking Rebirth though before that

Listen nigger Rebirth was a combination of great rock beats with a more modern rap style. Still had his same signature sound and wordplay, but with a beat style that many would never venture into. IANAHB I'll admit was not the best but Jesus christ was it better than Carter 4

I like that cover.

youtu.be/rrIoYKyVJOY
Fresh out of London

Aiyana is cute, CUTE!

Somewhat, I wish the young rappers who wear metal band shirts would actually listen to the music and have some influence on a few songs, instead of just wearing it for hipster fashion.

But mainstream hip hop has always been just a diluted version of the real trends going on at the time in most of the hip hop community.

But it's not all bad, 2000s onward has given us Madvillian, Freddie Gibbs, BeastCoast (Flatbush Zombies, Underachievers, Joey Bada$$/Pro Era), Black Hippy (Kendrick, ScHoolboy, Ab-Soul, Jay Rock), Aesop Rock, Illogic, Black Milk, Danny Brown, Run The Jewels, Maxo Kream, J.I.D., J. Cole, Bas, Mac Miller, Denzel Curry, Brockhampton, Ezale, Noname, & Vince Staples

>run the jewels
>j cole
>brockhampton
nice meme