Learning piano

Is it too late to learn piano? Can I do it online? Anyone have experience?

If you're over 20 it's basically pointless. It will take you at least a couple of years to get even minimally proficient and you'll never be great. Invest the same amount of time in industry certifications or an internship or something and you'll be a lot better off.

if your trying to be a professional its probably too late.

but as a hobby its really never too late, take that and apply it to your situation

Another user interested in learning as a hobby, where should I start

it's never too late.

don't listen to this dickweed.

Get a teacher and you could become good with diligence. I was 18 when I started learning

Because there's so many concert pianists and composers that have started at 20? 25?

If you want to play seriously then there's no point in starting at 20+. If you want to noodle around with a few pop standards and basic Western classical pieces and never do anything more, then you can do it. It's just a pitiable waste of time you could spend doing something that would actually improve yourself.

I don't care about playing recitals nigga I just want to make mac demarco pop music

>learning an instrument isn't a way to improve yourself
>having hobbies is bad
ok bud

no one said anything about being a pro

mac demarco/tame impala piano shit is easy.

three words: major seven chords.

this is literally the most autistic thing I've ever read.

its not worth doing anything that wont have an immediate effect on bettering your life?

Start with Basic Music Theory by Jonathan Harnum . It's a very basic and helpful book.

Go for it. Piano is surprisingly easy. You're not going to be a master or anything but you could probably become proficient in a year or 2. I haven't played it since I was like a 10 but I can still read and play sheet music somewhat easily (and I'm by a smart person)

I became proficient in 2 weeks. I started playing and I could play satie and various pop songs after like 10 days.

Supposed to say "not a smart person"
It wasn't intentional but it helps prove my point

>Because there's so many concert pianists and composers that have started at 20? 25?
He could do it if he was NEET

This pretty much. Shit blew my mind. I have top respect for music professionals; they're crazy smart and efficient. And playing the instrument -- as well as hearing a pro play it -- is a beautiful thing. Too bad I got thumb tendonitis programming fml.

>It will take you at least a couple of years to get even minimally proficient

Yea, years of putting it off.

It is not too late, user
For the purposes of a normal person, it is almost never too late
You may not become a concert pianist, but learning the piano is honestly not that difficult

>Is it too late to learn piano
depends on how old you are. Like the others have said, if you're about 20+ your brain no longer has the neuroplasticity to become a professional classical pianist, but you can certainly still become proficient enough to impress nonmusicians and write music for fun.

>Can I do it online
No. You need to find a keyboard and play it instead.

>Anyone have experience
I mean, it's pretty tough

it's never too late.
the best instruction is personal. in order to really learn quality technique you need to break down everything you're doing and eliminate bad habits that you only really see one-on-one.
do you have any prior musical knowledge or experience?