On Hendrix' cover being recieved better than the original

On Hendrix' cover being recieved better than the original

>theres no original it was never my song I just wrote it down

what

He never wrote any of his own songs, they were transmitted into his brain by aliens.

the covers not better though

childhood, adulthood etc

The original is better anyway

Pretty common for early blues players, people hear songs from a musician and tweak it a little, neither calling it their song nor saying it's someone else's. The songs then get passed along by word of mouth or whatever.

>le disheveled intellectual :-)

Bob Dylan is not an early blues player

original will always be the best

yep, that's just how folk music was at the time. first song on dylan's first album was a cover, as were others

Dylan came from and heavily admired the folk tradition, yes he was like the biggest songwriter of the 20th century, but he wouldn't have seen it that way...a lot of his best work was covers but often his covers are completely different and more engaging and personal than the originals (though sometimes the original is better)

You also have to remember that while Dylan was always a critical darling, he was not a commercial one, almost all of his many hits were actually other people covering his most popular songs

Like, nowadays everyone will talk about his version of Blowin' in the Wind, but his was never a hit, it was the Peter, Paul and Mary version, a lot of times people's covers of his songs even came out before his version because everyone was so excited to do a Dylan cover (like some of The Basement Tapes songs or Mr. Tambourine Man)

Dylan is saying he doesn't own his songs because he acknowledges a lot of his music was by other people, it's called the folk tradition, it's why he is folk but the thousands of singer-songwriters he influenced rarely are

That said, this is one of the cases where he is wrong because Hendrix's version is not nearly as timeless as his original and loses a lot of the power of the song but Dylan has never been one to preserve even his own songs since he changes them up in concerts all the time so ever since Hendrix, that's the way he's played the song in his concerts

>born 1941
He was near the end of it.

interesting.

>born in Duluth, Minnesota
nowhere near it tho

see no more auction block - blowin in the wind

well we'll be taking that nobel prize right back then cause he clearly didnt write shit

'Can I play your song'
'No, i'd rather you didn't I just wro'
'Too late, I've already done it. I've stolen the good fortune that should have been yours forever as I'm a evil human locust '
'Oh, you cunt.'
True story.

He still wrote more classic songs than any other artist of the 20th century and everyone covered his songs or named their albums/songs in reference to him, entire careers were made from people who just covered his songs

He's human cancer.

I'm sorry, I thought this was a music board, not Sup Forums

Don't think Dylan really cares about people covering his songs considering there's thousands of covers of him by famous bands, a lot of them more popular then the original.

He's probably made a lot of his money from covers of his songs to be honest

I dunno if everyone was "excited" to do a Dylan cover. I'm certain some were, but to make it as a pop musician in the 60s meant you were expected to record tons of covers. I don't disagree with you but it should be pointed out

Reminder that Keith Richards, Frusciante and others unironically believe this

I mean the ones who were covering his songs before they came out...artists like The Byrds or Fairport Convention were covering a bunch of his songs, including ones he hadn't released yet, they definitely were excited about his music

>anyone who's not a cynical neckbeard is a FAG you hear me?

i was kidding dude hes a great writer he just said a really dumb thing
compelling argument

>i was kidding dude hes a great writer he just said a really dumb thing
It's not really a dumb thing, claiming ownership over a song (especially one that has become part of the public consciousness) is a dumb thing, which is why he didn't say that

Dylan regards a lot of his material to be written because of some inspiration that has long since left him. About "It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding" he has said it was like a he was possessed, and that he wouldn't ever be able to write another song like that.

So by "it was never my song I just wrote it down", I'm guessing he's expressing the same sentiment

I think the best counterargument to why he did write All Along the Watchtower and the other songs on that album (rather being "possessed" or improvising) is that while he came out The Basement Sessions where he literally improvised songs out of fucking nowhere that are still adored and considered classics today, the songs on the John Wesley Harding album were all poems he wrote down and then put to music which is the opposite of how he usually worked (getting some music and then putting words to it including meaningless phrases and such that just sounded good in the context of serving the song as a whole) so they were certainly more purposeful than other songs he's written

Good shit. Most people on Sup Forums don't understand the folk tradition.