Your Most underrated Album OAT

What is, in your opinion, single-handedly the most underrated album of all time? I'm talking in every single aspect possible. Whether we're talking about underrated in terms of it being discussed on Sup Forums, its recognition irl, musical qualities, aesthetic, impact, uniqueness, concept, etc. Please explain your reasoning if you wish to do so.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9MOQRWHCJLA
youtube.com/watch?v=wnfz_BJTjCw
youtube.com/watch?v=fAyUU8Pb0G4&t=915s
youtu.be/7gEsG7ftsCo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Show us yours first dumb frogposter

the glow pt 2. it's highly rated but not high enough

I was about to say the same thing.
The innovation of the production as well as the brilliant songwriting and instrumentation... I love it

Samhain's November Coming Fire; not sure if it left a real lasting impact, but you can't deny it's uniqueness, especially in terms of when it was released in the 1980s. Including bands of today alongside their deathrock/post-punk/hardcore/goth rock contemporaries of the time, simply nothing comes close to how different this sounds. It's a shame Glenn lost all of the things that made this band unique by the time Samhain was desolved into Danzig.

This album looks rad, will check it out. Also reminded me of this: youtube.com/watch?v=9MOQRWHCJLA

I can't think of anything else that sounds even remotely close around the early 70's

Muse - The Resistance. This album gets shit on pretty mercilessly but there are actually some solid cuts on here

youtube.com/watch?v=wnfz_BJTjCw

"Samen" by the duo öOoOoOoOoOo aka Chenille

It came out in 2016 and is easily in my top 5 albums of all time and my favorite of 2016, definitely the strongest debut album I've ever heard. I give it a solid 9.5/10 and every track is fantastic from start to finish.

I guess it could fall into the realm of avant garde metal but the most of the songs aren't even really full metal.

The instrumentation has that Mr. Bungle-esque quality of being incredibly dynamic and even switches genres entirely multiple times per song while still feeling like one cohesive piece except most of these songs still fit into a traditional, appealing pop structure.

The woman who does the vocals in this album gave probably my favorite vocal performance of all time, her range is absurd not only tonally but in style. In single songs she whips back and forth between R&B to opera to death metal growls to throat singing to disco to a spot on impersonation of Zack de la Rocha from Rage Against the Machine. A good way to think of her is essentially being like another incarnation of Mike Patton.

The man who does the composition somehow makes all of these influences blend together effortlessly, given the quality of the compositions I was pretty amazed that his name is only attached to like one other small project that I could find.

Despite being next to flawless in my mind, the official album stream on their label's YouTube account has less than 10,000 views and most of the individual song videos don't even break 1,000 hits.

I have never heard it mentioned anywhere else except for like two of my friends who I circulate music findings with on a regular basis, so never have I found someone in the wild who was independently aware of the album.

Needless to say, holy fuck this album is amazing to me.

Vampire on Titus by Guided by Voices

I hate how people write it off as baby's first indie. It's been my favorite album for 6 years now. Phil is some sort of god I wish I had a tenth of his talent

Also syd Barretts whole discog, if just for Opel and Feel

Why? They're well known from the Akira soundtrack, and anyone that loved that can listen to this because of the internet

Map is the secret best song.

bc it's underrated. No one talks about it, very few people know it, even among peolpe who know Akira I've seldom if ever encountered someone who had listened to the groups recordings other than that soundtrack. It's one of the best recordings of music in existence IMO.

Black Foliage

Growing - The Sky's Run Into the Sea
It's not even the bands most popular album

>never seen a thread about it over four years of being here
>no one i know irl has heard of it
>no one i know online has heard of it
>never heard or seen someone mention it ever >the instrumentation is great
>great cohesive sound across the whole album >very important in 90's underground rock, >influencing Man or Astro-Man? Servotron, Los Straightjackets, and more. very unique at the time, basically kicked off the surf revival, while still being separate from surf
>very atmospheric.
>why does no one talk about it?

I gotta listen to it again I guess, I remember the Akira soundtrack blowing my mind way more

I completely agree. And this is coming from a guy who is jazz trained, and knows more about music theory than I would ever want to. Phil's music transcends technical capabilities and theoretic complexities. His creativity is unbelievable and his albums are so personal and emotion-invoking. Not to mention his ability to consistently compose memorable songs

i have this album in my spotify saved rn cause someone recced it to me based on my 5x5

it was probably you

Ecophony Rinne takes way more patience and can't be thought of as the same kind of music or you won't like it. Akira Symphonic Suite is like a version of Ecophony Rinne made into catchy song format. The form of Ecophony Rinne is closest to a symphony. The closing track is amazing. The concept is the buddhist cycle of life, death, the bardo, and rebirth and if you have some kind of personal relationship with that concept, I think you'll find some pretty incredible meaning in the album.

T H E S O F T B U L L E T I N.
God, I post why so often.
NOBODY uses the right track listing, and it is literally below Blackstar on RYM.
Even below Downward Spiral!
It is overshadowed by MPP on this board because of the remixes.
These things all add up into it not getting enough respect here.
I could go on but basically, fuck.

Unrest - Tink of SE. Seemingly one has listened to it but it's the best garage rock album ever made. [spoiler]In my opinion

I honestly think, without trying to be edgy, that The Flaming Lips have 4 albums that are better than that one.

I also honestly think, without trying to be edgy, that Mercury Rev blows everything the Flaming Lips have done out of the water

this

Your opinion is the minority.
For a reason, too.
Name ONE song like What Is The Light?
Before OR after it.

Shinkjuku Mad - Shinjuku Mad

Originally listened because I found out that Blank Banshee was in the band,

I fell in love.

youtube.com/watch?v=fAyUU8Pb0G4&t=915s

Literally the worst Siverchair album.
Diorama is an actual underrated album.

>inb4 "Instagram thots and teenager music"

I agree that yes it's geared for teenagers but thats the album and that's what he is at the time being. I was impressed with it and I don't think the album itself gets the recognition it should. Everyone goes "Oh that location song was dope and deep" but wont give the rest of the album a go.

please be kidding

Fuck no.
Diorama is pretty amazingly crafted. They had their own sound, catchy tunes, interesting chord progressions, Van Dyke Parks.

Frogstomp sounds like a Nirvana/Pearl Jam worship album made by 15 year olds. oh wait, it was.

>silverchair
>family guy
>typing in lower case

Sure is pleb in here.

the first two songs are the only good ones, lyrics aside

The album Patto by Patto is one of the most underrated rock albums of all time. When it came out it should have been an instant classic but was forgotten but remembered by few for it's raw, warm sounding guitar, and smooth drums. The first song "the man" is a fusion of Blues, Jazz, and Phychedelic Rock combined into one. youtu.be/7gEsG7ftsCo

Pretty decent, Vertigo put out an amazing collection of records in the 70's

Swans - The Burning World
It's always pushed under the rug for not being as adventurous as anything else they've done, but it's a really solid neofolk album

not sure how underrated it is bc i only recently discovered it, but id never heard of the paper chase before and im currently fucken obsessed with everything about this album

a rym buddy turned me onto this one, great stuff

This.
No one on Sup Forums knows about it. It's the greatest post-rock/post hardcore album ever made.
Every song sounds unique. Every song is moving. People need to give this album a shot so then we can put it on the essentials list

bamp

This makes me happy. Glow Pt. 2 is legendary

Flotation Toy Warning - Bluffer's Guide to the Flight Deck
Mum - Finally We are No One
The Savage Young Taterbug - Boys of the Feather
Bedroom Walls - I Saw You Coming Back to Me

i think pic related is a masterpiece of its era. if there was anything i could ever call "post-progressive rock", this would be it. it took everything that makes progressive rock pompous -- heavy focus on elaborate keyboards, classical frilly british compositions, and theatrical vocals -- and removed them in favor of guitars while still maintaining the harmonic rhythmic complexity that makes prog such an influential genre. it's overlooked by prog fans because muh steve howe was a better guitarist, and overlooked on here because muh progressive wankery

plus it's got collins, akkerman, wetton, and hackett on it. it sounds like red era king crimson mixed with fragile era yes turned on its fucking head. it's great.