/daily/ - crucified before qwerty

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!tdBx2ThC!41t5XOLyB1OZtejZ4YvSOL2QLap_NbuPEfMiJDPjNw4
youtube.com/watch?v=MPtoPRp0dvc
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/ада_якушева/лучшие_песни/
youtube.com/watch?v=LOtRxagaUbQ
clapclap.bandcamp.com/
mega.nz/#F!YqwVlCxY!1I817qs3qb8XdnT9YvlGnQ
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jordaan_mason_and_the_horse_museum/divorce_lawyers_i_shaved_my_head/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/david-thomas-broughton/the-complete-guide-to-insufficiency/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lord_snow/solitude/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/charlie-mingus/tijuana-moods-2/
youtube.com/watch?v=hvh8E80ttIA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

fucking

previously on daily:

so i will be gone for the next three to four days, leaving town for a wedding and moving into a place with my girlfriend, so i thought it would be (acceptable??) to drop the listenalong for next week now::

Ada Yakusheva - [moonrunes]
>bard music
mega: mega.nz/#!tdBx2ThC!41t5XOLyB1OZtejZ4YvSOL2QLap_NbuPEfMiJDPjNw4

unfortunately, this is on neither spotify nor youtube as a full album; youtubes has samples and spotify has other less good compilations so for point of reference here is a

youtube sample: youtube.com/watch?v=MPtoPRp0dvc

rym: rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/ада_якушева/лучшие_песни/

i hope some of y'all enjoy!!
[listenalong template next post]

(fight me if unhappy)

my dick
is hard
they call me
Ada Yakusheva

for the bois

Fick fuck fuck fuck FUCK

Well now that just plum don't rhyme do he

i remember i almost considered posting on this thread sometime in the past but then i decided to not be autistic instead
jk its just it moves to fast and i feel like i still have too much backlog to catch up on

this is nice so far

By far the worst general, bunch of pretentious tripfags sharing some shitty music

there's only one solution. come up with a shitty trip yourself

r-rude

It's free verse.

youtube.com/watch?v=LOtRxagaUbQ

don't worry i like it
any recs for music? been reaaal slow at work the past few weeks so i've been needing more new stuff

Accel, thoughts on the new EE my nigga, by now you heard it in full already haven't you

>and i feel like i still have too much backlog to catch up on
Backlog burning chart is the way then

hm. i'll make myself a chart this weekend then. needs to happen sometime anyways.
now to think of the most edgy trip i can think of.

>edgy trip
There, you just named yourself. Welcome to /daily/, enjoy your stay.

Is the new EE out yet? I didn't realise that it was being released so soon.

It leaked yesterday, official release is next Friday

Holy heck, I'll get on it then. What are your thoughts on their albums? Just out of interest. I remember my sister telling me about them ages back and ended up loving them.

Man Alive is their young and reckless one, throws so much shit into the wall and some stick hard, others fall flat af
Arc is my fav, takes some of the weirdness and grows up a bit in the lyrics department with math rock influence
Get to Heaven is great but loses the math rock influence. It's the one with the best lyrics though.

A Fever Dream is close to Arc on the music but has a lot of GtH's lyrical themes.

>edgy trip
woah

bitch i grind bitch i grind i am wario in mario kart
god i've spent everyday drunk last week
what should i listen to now?

>rekt in trip
perfect
getting drunk more or not?
i'm biased bc i'm dutch but clap! clap! has this neato album using sound-samples from the dutch "tropenmuseum", the anthropological museum
clapclap.bandcamp.com/

>bard music
more like bad music

Never actually listened to them, besides just now. Good stuff.

I'm still doing that jazz chart you all gave me recs for too, believe it or not.

>Bubble Puppy - A Gathering of Promises (1969)

Read the name. Look at the cover. This album defies the odds and kicks so much ass. Sloppy it's not, noodly it's not. I'm still scratching my head at how nuanced and thoroughly composed something like this could be. You won't find any laziness or phoning it in on this acid rock album, and every moment is filled to the brim with natural progressions and thoughtful drum fills and guitar riffs and great harmonies starting with the great "Hot Smoke & Sasafrass". To my ears, it's a marriage of Blue Mountain Eagle melodies, Buffalo Springfield harmonies. There's some quality to it that almost makes it come across like a proto-Tame Impala. It's got some pop elements but this album rocks hard and twists and turns all throughout if you listen closely.
7.5/10

>Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense and Peppermints (1967)

I can't fault this album for being what it is. It's horseshoe theory in action...those who don't enjoy psychedelia can appreciate the cultural kitsch and time capsule that is "Incense and Peppermints", many who do like psychelia may find this too commercial or poppy or nonsensical, and then serious collectors jaded from aesthetics consider this essential. I'd like to think I can appreciate each viewpoint. Like it or not, the hit single is one of the living, surviving testaments to the Summer of Love: pop music administered a health dose of LSD with odd vocal harmonies and unexpected chord progressions and nebulous lyrics. The rest shouldn't be as overlooked as it is, as it's just as meticulous and nuanced, only with less catchy pop appeal.
6/10

>Hendrix - Band of Gypsys (1970)

I'm at the point where if I want to listen to some Jimi Hendrix, it's going to be live material. I want as little to get between his playing and my ears as possible, I think his studio albums aren't as great as they could be. 15+ three-minute-long songs just don't suit his strengths as well as he gets credit for. He starts to catch on and give himself some room with Electric Ladyland. The general public have in some respect confused his legacy on his hit songs rather than his guitar virtuosity, perhaps out of some difficulty discussing the latter. Anyone who listens to a Jimi Hendrix Experience album from front-to-back will inevitably find he's just a far more consistently excellent musician than he is a composer. For me, there's only so many times I can hear "Foxey Lady" on Are You Experienced? until I need more, and to understand an improvisational musician, one needs to constantly filter through material.

Anyway, Band of Gypsys is a live album, and it's a far different style than his previous work and features an altogether different band. The Summer of Love is over heading into the year 1970, and this strays from the psychedelic rock format into some heavy bluesy material. It can't be overstated just how lasting this Band of Gypsys sound is, as I still hear it deep in the roots of a lot groups playing heavy psych and even sludge and doom metal today. Most immediately noticeable about this power trio is how basic the playing of the other musicians is in comparison. Buddy Miles' drums and Billy Cox's bass are clearly here to respond to Jimi's cues to lift up his guitar. And sure enough, Jimi's guitar is lysergic as ever as it fills the entire sonic palette. Surely one of his career highlights is the 12-minute-long "Machine Gun" in which his watery electric guitar emulates an entire orchestra across his fretboard so that you couldn't get hung up on particular notes if you tried, and his band match these nebulous shifts step-for-step.
8/10

>The Saints - Eternally Yours
This one is kind of a trip for me. It sounds fucking dead on exactly like the less-creative half of the Lookout! Records galaxy of pop punk bands I listened to in jr high, but 10 years earlier. Pretty sure the Mr T Experience intentionally lifted bits of "Private Affair" for "Let's Be Together Tonite". so... I guess I'm gonna decide this is a good thing? I can't fault this record for my own embarrassing taste from when I was a kid. The Saints certainly show range within the pop punk zone (the songs vary from fast to medium (I'm so funny)). and it's fun as fuck. Isn't that the point of pop punk, venting via phun distraction?
High points: "Know Your Product" is a fucking banger, a freight train of hornsy punk rock. A little bit of quasi-rapping on track 3, sounds out of place in a good way, like in the demo of Love's "You Set the Scene". Effective inclusion of horns and harmonica cuts the sameness. Should have more horns (all punk should).
Kurt Cobain had this in his top 50 (#19). That's quite generous, but this is a good one. The kind of record that can supplant listening to 84 inferior albums, a near-essential in a genre with very few essentials. 3.5+

ps lol they put arya stark on the cover

Real round three hours in here

Did I already suggest an album from there? I feel like my memory is going.

Not since butthole surfers, I don't think (?) did you rec one yesterday?

Nope, should I put forward another? Sorry if I ignored your chart.

still need recommendations from s, mark and, and that dumb user
:0

Np it's a slooow one
Yeah gib rec

Try Murmuure, if only because I'm going to try it in a couple of hours and see what that's about. Hope you have a nice day user!

someone come in the listenalong w me after i go for a fag lol

I'm on air boyes

90.7 wkkl if you're in the area

If you can get it online, that would be nice (I can't seem too)

>cumblogs

i can't seem to find out when/how often the listenalongs happen...

My tape :)

mega.nz/#F!YqwVlCxY!1I817qs3qb8XdnT9YvlGnQ

Every weekend

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jordaan_mason_and_the_horse_museum/divorce_lawyers_i_shaved_my_head/

goddammit I forgot to inb4

less than 45 min please

Sounds like you need to listen to King Krule my friend

ginger singer confirmed satanic

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/david-thomas-broughton/the-complete-guide-to-insufficiency/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lord_snow/solitude/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/charlie-mingus/tijuana-moods-2/

idk what you've heard so pick one

picked solitude nice

I'm feeling this The Chase track and these Infiniti bangers wew
youtube.com/watch?v=hvh8E80ttIA

Are there no Juan Atkins fans in this place?

Did you see the picture? That's demon.

Who dis

wdhmbt

repeat, for darklands and s

final round guidelines:
tape must be between 1 and 2 hours
cover art must be your favorite work of art
and music must fit one of these themes:
autumn
busy at work
under the influence
optimistic

Oh, I must have taken my trip off, there we go!

Is that SammyClassicSonicFan?

Got what I expected, Arc with more synths. Really liked Night of the Long Knives, Desire still irritates me, Big Game was a bit forgettable. Good Shot, Good Soldier is growing on me, and Run the Numbers gives me mixed feelings because I'm reminded of some pop star that I can't place my finger on. Never heard Higgs sing like that.

Was happy to hear a breakdown halfway through Put Me Together. Title track is still my favorite, but Ivory Tower is cool too. Felt like New Deep could have been something really interesting, but I'm not surprised that the length was sliced. I feel like White Whale should have impacted me more, but it felt limp and single-minded compared to the mixed feelings of the other album closers.

the album as a whole just isn't sticking to me like the others. there goes that aoty

No but he looks like demon irl too. Child actor from Persona.

accel finally sees the light

i want to go back

So, being the idiot I am, I did not catch who wanted to be part of the tourney. Reply I'm in, and suggest 2-3 genres.

Also, I'm super sorry I'm slow with rating my drone chart of you. I will be getting to it.

Sorry, blapp.

uhh i'm in

zolo, glitch

I'm in.
Reggae, Jam band, Funk

ambient, noise rock, black metal

wow get it together mane

powerviolence
power electronics
chamber pop

In

>powerviolence
>outsider house
>noise

I'm In

EAI
Minimalism
UK Bass

ypu could just look that up in the old thread, but hey, I want in maybe

pop punk
industrial
post-grunge

just dropping by to say Milo's new record is AOTY

I'm in
Italo Disco
Basque folk music
Tatar folk music

why not start a chart the day before going away again? hopefully making one will push me to listen to different stuff.

the Atkins comp was great but honestly I expected more. he has absolute killer tracks (like The Chase, Wanna Be There, Skyway, Jazz is The Teacher) but he mostly couldn't pull off the electro stuff in the same way Kraftwerk can. I won't return to some of the more annoying vocal tracks (TECHNICOLOR, TECHNICOLOR, TECHNICOLOR) but there are some real gems here.
4/5 (but one of those 4's that's almost a 3 iunno)

is this young arto lindsay

i'm in it

Free Jazz
Progressive Electronic
No Wave

shoegaze post-punk slowcore

Trancecore
Mathcore
j-core

Sludge Metal
Math Rock
Indietronica

That's an odd way to spell Sondre Lerche

apple core

Hey maybe you got a rec for me for my 2017 tourney before you leave?

Nope. Try again.

my b

Yo

>I feel like White Whale should have impacted me more, but it felt limp and single-minded compared to the mixed feelings of the other album closers.
Coming from the guy who loves Warm Healer. ebin.

Desire grew on me quite a lot, agree with title track being fav. Night of the Long Knives, Ivory Tower and Good Shot Good Soldier are my other highlights. Disagree with New Deep, it's just a transition like title track on Arc and does its job very well.

And you're probably thinking of Lorde, a friend said the song has a bit that sounds a lot like Buzzcut Season.

Liturgy

Which one then

>overt skyrim reference in the first verse of the album
still great desu

im tellin ya Warm Healer was powerful because of context

I thought the lyrics were weaker on this album as well, but I guess I'll have to wait until the album's officially out to see. Nothing really comes close to Blast Doors or Happsburg Lipp but then again those are basically rap songs

Yeah I also missed the fast sung lyrics on this one, the closest we got was the I'M IN MY IVORY IVORY IVORY TOWER I'M IN MY IVORY TOWER bit

piggle rig :D

I'm in
Vocal Jazz
Brutal Prog