Is Claire Boucher still relevant? What are your favorite songs by her?

Is Claire Boucher still relevant? What are your favorite songs by her?

Other urls found in this thread:

thefader.com/2017/07/24/150-more-great-albums-made-by-women-npr-list
arena.com/article/the-endurance-and-honesty-of-grimes
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>flooding the catalog

Why is New Order so fucking good?

15 minutes to

This is a Claire Boucher music thread. That one is a non-music thread about Grimes.

Wrong thread, pal.

damn, many threads to report on this fine morning

bump

I used to like claire but she's nobody now ever since I discovered how amazing choa is

>I used to like claire
You liar!

>Grimesfag has now picked up Choa instead
At least Choa looks good so it's a step up

i can not tell a lie, i just moved on and i suggest you do too
choa is accepting everyone right now

please do not relate me to grimes anymore, she's just a disappointment to me now

Are you a waifufag?

Nah, not really

Then why do you care so much about artists' image?

Because when this guy is going to spam pictures of them in all threads regarding female artists i would prefer them to atleast look good

it's not spam because it's choa and she does look amazing all the time

you loved me

Meh. 6/10. Probably would never give her a second glance it I seen her in public.

she's flawless and you don't know anything because you're still living in the grimes past

18 months

>using an artist's full name instead of their pseudonym

Let's talk about David Robert Jones and Roger Keith Barrett too

>White wanna be bleached whore

that's choa and she's naturally that pale and she only wants to be herself
also she's not a whore you moron

>naturally pale
>naturally
do we tell him guys?

i already know she's completely natural, no need to inform me

no worries user! it's true now that you say it though, she's so lucky to have such pink lips, blonde hair and pale skin naturally!
what a lucky girl :)

GREAT THREAD
THANKS MODS

It's not even her full name (Claire Elise Boucher).

I created this thread not the mods. Thank me instead.

fuck off, i filtered Grimes threads and you use her real name. wasted dubs

Add "claire boucher" to your list and you're set for life.

piss and shit all day

Lots of short, simple musical phrases piled on top of each other into a wondrously complex-sounding whole. Same with Grimes and most other well-executed electronic music. That's how you get the whole simultaneously simple and complex effect in that sort of music.

Ur thinking formulaic

Yes, but remember - there are as many possible formulas to use as there are songs to make. Formulaic is only a dirty word to people who don't understand how creativity works.

As long as the results are not generic, musicians could as many formulas as they want.

Nice conversation skills

Sounds like you're on the wrong board then, if it's non-music.

You got it wrong. What other thread was non-music. This one is music & artist related.

that makes more sense when you say it that way and I think this thread does invite more substance

I'm not all that into her music but I've had some good faps to her.

it's 2017, sorry grimesfriends, it's time to move on to better artists

That's pathetic. She's not for sexual.

Name better artists than Claire except Choa. Choa is terrible.

Fuck off with your waifufag shit and say something constructive for once.

choa is at the very top of the musician ranking
so just start there and if you don't like choa then you won't like anything else and should just huge up on music altogether

Stop, waifufag. Here's something constructive to you: g t f o.

it's her name claire? i forgot ever since i was introduced to choa
i only think about choa now

she's so hot in that music video

>grimes

go back to tumblr please

bet i lek tembler

Go away, pleb. You're stinking up this place.

>Is Claire Boucher still relevant
Not now, certainly. No publications have been talking about Art Angels since it came out.

she is nobody we all like choa now

>No publications have been talking about Art Angels since it came out.
Here's one just recently: thefader.com/2017/07/24/150-more-great-albums-made-by-women-npr-list
Another one: arena.com/article/the-endurance-and-honesty-of-grimes
There are more other articles. Google is your evil friend.

>thefader.com/2017/07/24/150-more-great-albums-made-by-women-npr-list
Is Lydia lunch currently relevant? Plus, they just put the name down, they didn't talk about it
>arena.com/article/the-endurance-and-honesty-of-grimes
That's an article on Grimes, not an article specifically on her albums. One of the pieces of evidence that TPAB and MBDTF are relevant and significant is the mass discussion way after the fact, Art Angels was just viewed as a good album.

yes I want to plow

>Art Angels was just viewed as a good album.
With an 88 Metascore (it had even a 93 for a week) it's much more than just a good album. This album is the new standard in pop: all future pop albums will be judged against it. Melodrama, Lemonade, 1989, Emotion, 25, Joanne, Anti, Dangerous Woman, A Seat at the Table, all sound so safe and dull next to it. It's not even debatable. AA's reputation will only grow in the next years.

>That's an article on Grimes, not an article specifically on her albums.
Why do you expect some shitty think pieces that are completely useless? People just listen to AA.

>boring pop albums sound dull next to a slightly less boring pop album
sure, but that slightly less boring pop album sounds incredibly boring next to actually good music which you choose to ignore in favor of Pitchfork FOTY. Plus, Melodrama has a higher metascore than Art Angels, with more reviews, so if anything is the new standard, it's Melodrama.

>sure, but that slightly less boring pop album sounds incredibly boring next to actually good music which you choose to ignore in favor of Pitchfork FOT
I compared albums from the same category: pop. Post actually good music in your opinion to see your standards.
>inb4 memerap and Lisa Simpson voiced artist

>Plus, Melodrama has a higher metascore than Art Angels, with more reviews, so if anything is the new standard, it's Melodrama.
It's a simple case of overrating an album after the critics slept on her previous album. Melodrama sounds too ordinary to have any real impact. It will be forgotten in 2-3 years.

>Post actually good music
A lot of good jazz albums have come out recently, Boris released an awesome album, the three most recent Swans albums, new Gnod album, Life on Venus, Angles 9, Big Walnuts Yonder, Wenchen Qin, The new Gerogerigegege album was fire
>It's a simple case of overrating an album after the critics slept on her previous album
But her previous album has a pretty good metascore too, only one below Visions, in fact. So, if the issue is sleeping on the previous album and Pure Heroine has a 79 and Visions has an 80, then why isn't Art Angels one point ahead of Melodrama?
>Melodrama sounds too ordinary to have any real impact
So does Art Angels, it's just boring "experimental" pop.

>Boris released an awesome album, the three most recent Swans albums, new Gnod album, Life on Venus, Angles 9, Big Walnuts Yonder, Wenchen Qin, The new Gerogerigegege album was fire
I don't like any of these dissonant artists. I think they're all crap. The hyper melodic Art Angels is worlds apart from the dissonant stuff that you like. This explains why you don't get this album.
>But her previous album has a pretty good metascore too, only one below Visions, in fact. So, if the issue is sleeping on the previous album and Pure Heroine has a 79 and Visions has an 80, then why isn't Art Angels one point ahead of Melodrama?
The critics were desperate to make Lorde a hugely acclaimed artist. She's good, but not great. However Metacritic scores aren't the Bible, they're just averages of opinions. If they're in that superior range (80-100), it's all fine.
What do you say about Vulnicura, who got a 87 Metascore, just one point less than AA?
>So does Art Angels, it's just boring "experimental" pop.
No. Art Angels sounds just like itself and nothing else. And Claire's unique voice is a strong insurance that literally nothing else will be like AA. I don't get why do you call boring an album with so many experimental bangers. I'm "worried" that you actually hate beats and anything too rhythmic and prefer annoying noise.

>I don't like any of these dissonant artists
Name the albums and artists of what you listened to. Also please explain how dissonance is inherently bad
>the critics were desperate to make Lorde a hugely acclaimed artist
Then why would they rate her low for her first album and then not much higher than Art Angels for her second album? If you're going to accuse them of doing that to Lorde, then they must've done it to Grimes as well.
>They're just an average of opinions
Then why would you use it to say that it wasn't just viewed as a good album and that an album rated higher wouldn't be compared to it
>80-100
I love how you kept it at the number that Visions would be in too. 75-100 is high praise.
>What do you say about Vulnicura
That's not relevant to this discussion at all
>No, Art Angels sounds just like itself
It sounds like almost every synthpop album.
>inb4 "but no synthpop sounds like Laughing and Being Normal or Scream"
That's a ridiculous argument because LaBN is an opener and SCREAM is very different from the rest of the album, so it's a bad comparison.
>strong insurance that nothing else will be like AA
see above
>experimental bangers
please explain the experimental aspect
>you actually hate beats
You must've never heard of any of the albums I listed because most of them are rhythm-heavy
>and prefer annoying noise
Once again, you probably haven't listened to a single one of those albums

>I love how you kept it at the number that Visions would be in too. 75-100 is high praise.
Metacritic's Universal Acclaim starts at 80.
>It sounds like almost every synthpop album.
Excuse my French but that's bullshit. I listened to hundreds of synthpop albums and nothing else sounds like it. Could you name 5 synthpop albums like Art Angels?
>That's a ridiculous argument because LaBN is an opener and SCREAM is very different from the rest of the album, so it's a bad comparison.
Those are songs from AA. If you post a similar album to AA you better post an album with songs like Scream & LANBN too. And even discarding these 2, could you do the challenge?
>You must've never heard of any of the albums I listed because most of them are rhythm-heavy
They're not groovy and not enjoyable.
>Then why would they rate her low for her first album and then not much higher than Art Angels for her second album? If you're going to accuse them of doing that to Lorde, then they must've done it to Grimes as well.
They rated her debut a bit too low and over compensated that with her second album which is inferior to her debut.

>please explain the experimental aspect
One random example:
>I'm always listening for interesting sounds. Like, for example, I recently took a sample of some percussion that had a lot of melodic information in it, put the verb up to 100% and then sampled the verb so that none of the original sample was there but it contained the melodic information. Sometimes I record things in the house like beads or whatever etc. Sometimes I get found samples from online bird watching communities or this or that, haha. Usually I use some combination of these methods.
>For the song “Venus Fly", for example, I had these awesome 808s, that I built using two different 808 sounds. Then I sampled a dentist drill and tuned it to the 808s and layered it very lightly on top so that they sounded a bit more savage but also wide and clean cuz I think I panned the drill hard and the 808s were mono in the center.

>Universal Acclaim starts at 80
And Pure Heroine is at 79, so low of a difference it barely matters. Metacritic is a terrible way of measuring relevancy though
>Could you name 5 synthpop albums like Art Angels
choose 5 modern electropop albums
>Those are songs from AA
that are not representative of the sound of the album. By your logic, no album sounds like Sgt. Peppers because of Within You Without You
>They're not groovy and not enjoyable
You failed to answer which ones you listened to, user. Until you can do that, I have no reason to take anything you say seriously. And you clearly haven't listen to BWY.
>they rated her debut a bit too low
Ok, so 79 for Pure Heroine and 80 for Visions
>and overcompensated that for her second album which is inferior to the previous album
Ok, so 91 for Melodrama and 88 for Art Angels.
Both albums have a relatively low score for the first album (to be reviewed), and then a large jackup for the second album, which in both cases is inferior to the debut. Now why criticize the critics for overrating one album when they (according to your logic) did the same to Art Angels
Okay, so the samples were slightly weird. Please explain more.

bump

Fuck you

I'm shocked to see there's an actual discussion, you know, instead of them just hurling bags of monkey urine at each other which is usually par for the course in these threads.

dont even know who that is

>And Pure Heroine is at 79, so low of a difference it barely matters. Metacritic is a terrible way of measuring relevancy though
Terrible or not, they're quite relevant.
>choose 5 modern electropop albums
Very weak argument. At least post those albums.
>that are not representative of the sound of the album. By your logic, no album sounds like Sgt. Peppers because of Within You Without You
They are very important for that album. Scream was a single and it had a video. She also performed that song live multiple times. It's an important song not just an album track.
>You failed to answer which ones you listened to, user. Until you can do that, I have no reason to take anything you say seriously. And you clearly haven't listen to BWY.
That is irrelevant to this discussion about Grimes. Stay on topic.
>Ok, so 79 for Pure Heroine and 80 for Visions
A bit too low compared to Melodrama, not Visions.
>Both albums have a relatively low score for the first album (to be reviewed), and then a large jackup for the second album, which in both cases is inferior to the debut. Now why criticize the critics for overrating one album when they (according to your logic) did the same to Art Angels
They didn't do the same. Grimes was acclaimed right away despite the mere 80 on Metacritic. That rating has been lowered by too many reviews. Visions had 42 reviews while PH had only 28. Usually the score goes down if there are many reviews (= more opinions).
But maybe you're right. Maybe they over compensated on AA for Visions. But I don't mind it because both albums are masterpieces.

>grimesfag is still fighting to make people like grimes
ugh

>Same with Grimes

Grimes is a dumb myspace scene girl who carried into the hipster chillwave era whose entire career is based on extramusical gimmicks

grimes is over, we're all on the choa train now

>At least post those albums
TR/ST - TRST
Linea Aspera - Linea Aspera (A bit more minimal but other than that very similar)
Purity Ring - Shrines
Chromatics - Kill for Love
>They are very important for that album
But it sounds nothing like the rest of the album
>Scream was a single and it had a video
Not important in relation to the sound
>She also performed that song live
Not really a fair comparison considering the Beatles stopped touring.
>That is irrelevant
In , you say that all the albums (that you asked for) that I suggested are dissonant, and that because I like them, I hate anything rhythmic. This obviously means that you haven't listened to many of the albums if that was what you took away from it. Don't discuss albums you haven't listened to.
>that rating has been lowered by too many reviews
But PH has more negative reviews than Visions does

So she supports her own career while completely ignoring you. Makes me feel fantastic about myself. Be nice to grimes faggot

My only conclusion is that you must really hate yourself to play out this fantasy and want people to believe it

Post an ugly picture of her and expect something natural to happen when your boyfriend is obviously watching. Do that all the time even. Not retarded levels of interpersonal unawareness at all

Seriously how fucking self involved can you people be. It's like you relate by being self involved. Brah me fucking with your head is soooo first world. Brah you can't rape your own dog, its your property

Uh, what? You're drunk, user.. or stupid.

Probably both.