I've pretty much accepted that I'm atheist now. I've been raised by a great family for 23 years...

I've pretty much accepted that I'm atheist now. I've been raised by a great family for 23 years, but also very Christian.

I still go to church with them on major holidays like Christmas and Easter. I like it, I like spending that time together and I feel close with them, regardless of my ideology.

My question is; should I tell the adult part of my family I'm atheist? They wouldn't 'disown ' me by any means, but they'll be sad. They'll still love me but they'll constantly try and help me back into being religious.

Thoughts?

>Denoucing your faith

Be gone heathen

Can't really relate as I was raised in a non-religious household, but the general advice is to be honest but not an ass about it.

Why bother?

I would never be an ass about it. I respect their beliefs a lot. But idk if it's worth even mentioning

If it's never an issue that comes up then maybe not, especially since you're already grown and presumably live on your own. You might need to tell them if and when you have a kid and they expect you to raise it as a Christian.

I wouldn't bother - it'll hurt them, won't make your life better or kinder, and achieves nothing. Just let everyone have their version of reality that brings them happiness.

>ideoLOGy

tell them youre a jew for keks
>exdee

>I've pretty much accepted that I'm atheist now.
Then you just went another kind of retarded.

The thing is, no one knows what the universe is.

So saying you know for sure is retarded, it's also called "lying".

Just be agnostic and enjoy the fucking experience faggot.

You don't need to tell them shit.

It was kind of the same for me, but maybe a bit easier. My mom is more of a deist, and my hard catholic dad became a Christian agnostic when he became a free mason (l think he is a closet atheist now) and my sister is the same as my mom. Oddly enough my mom was the one that got bummed when I told her, she thinks that people should believe in something, but she got over it quickly and we discuss theology and mythology every now and then.

Knowing you are an atheis is not the same as knowing ther is no god.

Reminder than atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive. You don't have to claim to know anything to be an atheist.

/thread

You mean you DIDN'T need a crutch to help guide you on what is right and wrong and how to be a good honest ethical person?!?

HOLY SHIT!

This is like the 6 time I've seen you make a pun like this in the last twenty minutes. Stop it. Get some help.

Why even bother putting yourself into any category? Typical OP faggotry, making it ALL about THEM

a·the·ist
ˈāTHēəst/Submit
noun
a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

That's the thing, there could very well be "God" or "gods". So saying you're atheist means you don't believe there are. Being agnostic is admitting you don't know.

Grow up

Sure. I told my girlfriends family I was an atheist and they only bug me about god every other hour. Then again when they thought I was Jewish it wasn't much different. My family hasn't made me go to temple in years.

Job 2New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Job Loses His Health
2 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them to present himself before the Lord. 2 The Lord said to Satan, “Where have you come from?” Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “From roaming about on the earth and walking around on it.” 3 The Lord said to Satan, “Have you [a]considered My servant Job? For there is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man [b]fearing God and turning away from evil. And he still holds fast his integrity, although you incited Me against him to [c]ruin him without cause.” 4 Satan answered the Lord and said, “Skin for skin! Yes, all that a man has he will give for his life. 5 However, put forth Your hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh; he will curse You to Your face.” 6 So the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, he is in your [d]power, only spare his life.”

7 Then Satan went out from the presence of the Lord and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head. 8 And he took a potsherd to scrape himself while he was sitting among the ashes.

Maybe there are Nazis on the moon. What do you mean there is no evidence? Well there's no evidence to contary either. Surely you have to settle for being "unsure" about Nazis on the moon. Holding any other position is retarded.

It's like me trying to explain to my parents that both the right and left wing have be come cancer. They think I'm fucking anarchist

>So saying you're atheist means you don't believe there are.
Correct.
> Being agnostic is admitting you don't know.
Correct.

Knowledge and belief are not equivalent. You either believe in at least one god or you do not believe in at least one god. You either know whether or not there are gods or you do not.

You can not know whether or not there are gods and not believe that there are gods. That would make you an agnostic atheist.

>nazi's on the moon
>knowing what the universe actually is

Yea, those are totally comparable, in all aspects.

Amazing rebuttal user.

How blessed are those whose way is blameless, Who walk in the law of the Lord.

I usually agree that ops are faggot, but wtf are you talking about? When someone posts a thread on a site are they supposed to pander to your dumb ass Thoughts?

Btw, OP here. Thanks for the good responses.

I agree. It isn't worth mentioning

Thruth is no one knows. But I see Atheism as if some one comes up to me and says "there is a god and he created the universe" and all the evidence in his favor does not stand up to scrutiny, there is no reason for me to believe the claim of the existence of this god.

I personally just do not talk about it and go only to church when is like a big social event like baptism or Christmas.

This way they kinda know what is up but the uncertainty leaves me free from annoying converting back efforts

and if they really want to know they can ask

Both are arguments made with no evidence in their favour. Any other argument except for religion would get dismissed as unsupported given the lack of evidence. However for religion we have to say we're uncertain or else we are also practising a belief.

The deal between you and God is between you and God.

That you say you're an atheist means you have no deal between you and God.

Yeah I think you're right. I've already been you some of my siblings kids baptism and I make a point out of going to major holidays.

No one has asked me yet but I feel like they have to kind of assume how I feel

This.

The Latin for agnostic is "ignoramus". Not sure that's something to be proud of.

>That you say you're an atheist means you have no deal between you and God.
I mean, yeah, that's technically correct. It's hard to have a deal with something you don't believe exists.

Tell them, and fuck them if they talk shit about it.
>atheism is literally the best life choice you'll ever make
>the next step is nihilism

You're one edgy dude if you say "fuck them" for talking shit about this.

They want the best for me. They believe the best way to help me is to keep me religious.

Have fun being an edgelord