I wanted to start listening to some of this lovely guy but when I checked, he has quite a lot of stuff to dig through

I wanted to start listening to some of this lovely guy but when I checked, he has quite a lot of stuff to dig through

Where would you suggest I start? What are his most important works and do you suggest any specific recordings of those works?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4x3Bem4ZJTs
youtube.com/watch?v=26K9f8n6ymU
youtube.com/watch?v=ROnabk0OnbY
youtube.com/watch?v=O--VJ5BH2u8
youtube.com/watch?v=PSmXAG2mYY4
youtube.com/watch?v=AkYUdfRddTE
youtube.com/watch?v=cP5L8tjnB6w
youtube.com/watch?v=B9WPfkXQa_Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

go see a performance of his work instead of hunting down recordings

imo his lectures and essays are more interesting than his music

Okay, any specific performances?

I only know about him historically (new york school with feldman, brown and wollf) but I have no handle on his massive collection of work. Would it be useful to watch some kind of documentary before or read up on his importance to contemporary music?

just go to one. don't be afraid. if you wanna watch a doc then that's on you

The Sonatas and Interludes for prepared piano are a good place to start.

Thanks

also imaginary landscapes

williams mix/fontana mix are important too

I'm downloading this because it has a pretty comprehensive selection of prepared piano stuff and it's got good reviews

I don't know that set, I'll have to check it out for myself. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I love Imaginary Landscapes by him, particularly the fifth one.

I find myself speaking to you on here more and more AMG

This is the definitive recording of Sonatas and Interludes (as weird as that sounds, considering the very nature of the work), and you should listen to it. As for documentaries, there's probably entertaining stuff but if you really want to learn about him I'd recommend getting the book "Silence", which is a collection of his essays and lectures.

Thanks, I'll look into that

I remember there was a Rateyourmusic list about him with a lot of good resources. Google it OP. Tell me if you can't find it though.

Well, that's to be expected, I guess, since I started to become active on here again two weeks ago.

Hey, I messaged you on Discord :3

where the heart beats by kay larson is also a good book

Responded.

Was it one of these babe?

I honestly enjoy Cage's music least of those four composers (well, maybe Brown I like less)

I agree with everyone else though, that his prepared piano stuff is a good place to start

Cool, I know he's most famous for his innovations in prepared instruments
How important to contemporary music was that or was it just a one off idea that had no further use?

First one

Can't say I didn't expect that response haha

Prepared instruments are very popular, even in rock music. Definitely important.

cage had a fun side too
youtube.com/watch?v=4x3Bem4ZJTs

>even in rock music
Really? You got any examples of that?

I think Henry Cowell pioneered the idea. The first major thing that Cage contributed was percussion-based stuff. These things are basically ubiquitous now in contemporary music.

I get the impression that he's even more influential for his attitude towards indeterminacy and his openness to considering any sound musical, or is it more fair to associate those ideas with a different composer?

I think he's more famous for his philosophy on the nature of music, in particular the idea that any sound can be and is musical, including silence.

John Cage /only/ had a fun side
I think Sonic Youth did stuff like that

I don't know if he really deserves credit for all that though, just because he saw the future doean't mean he created it

Says on wiki that Cowell was an inspiration but didn't technically did it as he urged the pianist to pluck the piano with their hand rather than altering it itself

*didn't technically do it

syd barrett used a metal slide in some of the first floyd singles
steve albini fucked up his pick to make his guitar crunchier in big black
you could trace circuit bending in the noise music scene to these ideas too
but I mean honestly it's not fair at all to credit one guy (or even one movement) with inventing the idea of messing around with your instrument

Does anyone have the interview where Cage claims that every sound is beautiful, and just after that, there is this a pretty loud car horn sounding from behind out of pure coincidence?

All his sides are his fun sides :)

No, you are right.

Henry Cow did that a lot. I believe Godspeed You too, but can't confirm.

He never said silence was musical, only that even in "silence" sounds can still be heard.

John Cale used a prepared piano on all tomorrows parties by placing a string of paperclips on the strings

If all sounds are musical, then silence, which consists of sounds, is musical.

>silence, which consists of sounds
no.
cage visited an anechoic chamber and he was profoundly surprised to discover that silence does not exist -- he heard his own hearbeat, etc. that was his thesis.

That's the thing. By definition silence does not consist of sounds, but since silence doesn't exist (you can always hear it), this fake silence is musical.

the sonatas
youtube.com/watch?v=26K9f8n6ymU

the best of both worlds, (relative) accessibility and complexity

>Sonata XIV and XV (I prefer this version):
youtube.com/watch?v=ROnabk0OnbY
>Then if you like you can listen to its Sonatas (16 sonatas and 4 interludes)
>Now let's give a try to a book of music:
youtube.com/watch?v=O--VJ5BH2u8
>Now that you've in ecstasy, you should continue with other pieces for piano (not prepared) like:
youtube.com/watch?v=PSmXAG2mYY4
>I didn't like concert for percussions and other things from this dude, but you can check it and see if you like it.

>4'33'' is conceptual music, you wanted music

In other words, yes, silence is musical.

YO WHERE THE FUCK IS CRUDBLUD I HEARD HE WAS HERE AGAIN

> I'm this guy.

Check boulez too you lovely human:
youtube.com/watch?v=AkYUdfRddTE
(0:50, 3:12 for my favourite ones)

And why not Cecil Taylor's free improv:
youtube.com/watch?v=cP5L8tjnB6w

Wyschnegradsky for your sadness :,(
youtube.com/watch?v=B9WPfkXQa_Y
(check preludes, I like the 20 but I don't find it on youtube)

Thanks, this is all great

Literally doesn't matter what word you insist on using, but what the other guys are saying sounds better and is closer to what John Cage said

Prego!

I've been in avant-garde/experimental music since a while.
But believe, beware from those who makes random scores saying that's "Intellectual Musique!".
Search for music with a soul, there are a lot of counterfeiters and duckheads.

Will do, thanks for your advice man. We need more people on Sup Forums like the people in this thread

No we don't:
Remember that others are just another version of ourselves (Daevid Allen, off topic)

cage was a talentless hack