youtube.com/watch?v=U8jOhqOsouM
youtube.com/watch?v=mg5t7T5_rR8
youtube.com/watch?v=Lah5RKjOLDM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I did

This

Sabbath
Cream and Blue Cheer were proto-Metal heavy Psych Rock
The Beatles had Helter Skelter which was really just a really distorted Garage Rock tune
Sabbath defined the genre

Helter Skelter

Which was released first?

>which started heavy metal
None of them.
Clear Light were the first band to make a metal song and they did it in 1967.
youtube.com/watch?v=HXRBLyLQtiM

>it's another Sup Forums doesn't give Zep their due episode
youtube.com/watch?v=yO2n7QoyieM

They had the guitar tone just like High Tide, but it's not really a metal song, it's psychedelic rock. Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath from the Black Sabbath album was the first proper metal song from start to finish.

It's definitely a metal song, close to doom metal even. And no, Black Sabbath (song) was definitely not the first. There are many other contenders that predate that one, such as Pink Floyd's Nile Song or King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man (the first part).

>it's another Sup Forums doesn't give Zep their due episode
One of the few times Sup Forums is right.

Distortion alone doesn't make it a metal song. Add distortion and the right crunchy tone and you could make other psych bands like Gong sound similar. Nile Song for instance is more comparable to hard rock at best. The key thing that Black Sabbath added were unique metal riffs which are still the main thing that identifies something as metal or not. It's the same reason hardcore isn't metal, it's got heavy, aggressive guitars with a similar tone but they have distinct punk style riffs instead.

this is the only right answer and anybody who says otherwise is a no nothing dipshit and can go die

You're a retard. Please commit suicide.

>Distortion alone doesn't make it a metal song.
I know that pretty well, but I still consider it a metal song. When I first listened to it (Street Singer) I couldn't think of anything else other than "how the fuck did metal exist in 1967!?". And I have heard hardcore punk too and I know it isn't metal, yet I don't see a problem with claiming Nile Song (or Street Light) is. Nile Song is more arguable, I will give you that though.

See

Born to be Wild, by Steppenwolf.

That started the term, and the obsession with motorcycle shit.

I don't get people calling Nile Song proto-metal. It lacks the gloominess and the ominous feel. It's more proto-punk if anything. Same goes for Helter Skelter.

He did.

Zep didn't invent shit. Good band though

One of my favorite cover groups.

Like I said, it's a more arguable song, but it's definitely more metal than Helter Skelter. Helter Skelter doesn't have a pinch of metal.

old but gold

If we go by that song you might as well mention The Witch by The Sonics.

all four lol

All wrong, iron butterfly.

First of all, Dazed and Confused was originally by Jake Holmes.

The Yardbirds originally did it on their live album when Jimmy Page was in the band, and it was re-titled I'm Confused.

And while many might sight Led Zepplin's version as the roots of heavy metal or proto metal, or whatever, it is, in fact nothing more than a second rate Cream rip off.

Nile Song is both proto punk AND proto metal. Yeah, I know. Sounds impossible. Can't be both. But it is.

I'm surprised that you don't feel the gloominess behind the way the song id played, or the lyrics. Sounds like proto metal to me. Of course Symptoms of The Universe sounds like a Sex Pistols song to me as well, so maybe one shouldn't trust my opinion.

BTW The Necros covered Nile Song on their second album Tangled Up.

Well i guess we just have a different definition for proto-metal. But if we consider Nile Song proto-metal i'd definitely say that Summertime Blues and Born to Be Wild both qualify as well and they predated Nile Song by a year.

Summertime Blues is reasonable, but Born to be Wild is definitely not metal. The riffs are pretty "soft" for the genre (and it doesn't have that metallic sound either).

Well it has the muted guitar-chug that is so important to metal

step aside kiddos
>they sounded like this in the year of the White Album
youtube.com/watch?v=U8jOhqOsouM

this is industrial, black metal, avant-folk in one track

hey guys look how retard i am

:-D

Yeah they generally made better covers. Talented instrumentalists just never explored really

you had to said
"fuck off retard"
and then i would say
"joke's on him i was only pretending!"

you fucked the screencap you dummy

dismiss Helter Skelter all you want but it's distorted tones were still heavily influential to an assortment of metal genres

This band is garbage and like none of those.

Deep purple

>no deep purple
b a d p o s t

deep purple is hard rock not metal

Blackmore and Lord definitely laid the template for neo-classical metal and the whole '80s shred thing though, absolutely.

>doesn't give zep their due
>it's literally a plagiarized jake holmes song

fuck off

Helter Skelter. Mainly owing to the vocal performance. That was massively influential on heavy metal.

The Pretty Things, maybe?
youtube.com/watch?v=mg5t7T5_rR8

Anyone who says Helter Skelter is a shill who never got out of their "The Beatles are the greatest band of all time" phase

youtube.com/watch?v=Lah5RKjOLDM

first metal song coming through

No. Not at all.

That track wasn't even recorded until 1970... most of the music in this thread predates that by years

/thread

Vanilla Fudge and the original Jeff Beck Group were also extremely influential on the genre.

Jesus fucking christ you're all so fucking dumb.

Cream and Blue Cheer influenced metal bands a fuck ton but they didn't START heavy metal. The only correct answer is Black Sabbath.

The addition of The Beatles made me laugh, thanks.

All of you posting your hard-rock/psychedelic/garage rock/prog rock shit are wrong.
You fuckers either don't understand anons question or don't listen to much metal, if any.

lol

I think you're just being ignorant. Obviously metal had a lot of influences and there's no one track that was the first metal song so there's no point in arguing about it. Sabbath certainly nailed down the sound that came to be known as metal but obviously they too influence from everyone that came before them. Instead of getting butthurt why don't you just treat this thread as a list of proto-metal tracks.

>there's no one track that was the first metal song

I agree, but Black Sabbath was the first metal band. The first to make unarguably genuine metal songs and the first to popularize it, thus starting heavy metal.

>Instead of getting butthurt why don't you just treat this thread as a list of proto-metal tracks.

Way too late my butt is in agony.

>I haven't listened to Street Singer
That's the only thing I'm reading from your post.

>I agree, but Black Sabbath was the first metal band.
Correct, just not the ones who made the first metal song. Big difference. Now, Sir Lord Baltimore were pretty close from being the firsts though.

These posts are all psychedelic rock bands making some heavier sounding shit, but they're feet are still firmly planted in psychedelic/hard rock.

Only when Black Sabbath came in with their downtuned/heavily distorted guitars and dark sound/imagery/atmosphere was metal first officially created.

this guy

>I haven't listened to Street Singer

Nope, but I'd like to. Link?

>Correct, just not the ones who made the first metal song. Big difference. Now, Sir Lord Baltimore were pretty close from being the firsts though.

Yea alright but the question was which started heavy metal and it's definitely the first officially undisputed heavy metal band. That being, Black Sabbath.

A bunch of people here have been posting single songs from obscure psychedelic/hard rock bands. Those songs definitely did not start metal.

Sir Lord Baltimore was sick and had more than one heavy sounding song, but as heavy as the songs were, I feel the songs were still too firmly rooted in psychedelic/hard rock to be anything but that. Even if deeming them proto-metal is deserved, they didn't have nearly as much influence as Black Sabbath. The influence necessary for one to say they had started the chain reaction that led to the formation of an entire genre.

It's literally in one of the posts you are quoting ;)

Now, if you ask me "who started heavy metal?", I would say the first one to play a metal song, but yeah, it could be interpreted as the first band to play metal (regularly).

And no, Black Sabbath being the firsts is neither official nor undisputed, with this very thread being evidence of that.

And Sir Lord are definitely metal. But yeah, their influence wasn't as big as Sabbath's.

Now, if you want to get into the whole "who started metal in the chain reaction thing" then it's no one, because a lot of different bands were contributing all at once to what would eventually be considered to be metal.

Well now I know who Jack White ripped off.

Hm. Ok, you're right.

this, it was jeff