Greetings Sup Forums!

Greetings Sup Forums!
1st time poster on this particular subject, mainly looking for any general tips on moving out on my own. I'm 20.
And yes, I've thought it through.
ANYTHING is appreciated.
Mainly looking for just any tips like food and budgeting. I have a decent budget for all my bills and savings going, but I'll keep my post short to have More options open.

Pic semi-related, confused and concerned as fuck.
Thanks!

bump I'm moving out soon too

Bumping the bump

I'm sure you know this by now, but I'm going to reiterate:

Save your money! Dollar store shopping for cheap but good foods and drinks. Goodwill for furniture. If you have a car, I hope it's a fuel efficient one kek
Source: 23 yr old who used to live with exgf

Good luck, user!

Thank you so much! I'll be keeping this information and posting on October 13 2017

Also my car is a truck. A Chevy.
>mfw fuel efficient in FL after Irma

check out the book total money makeover by dave ramsey. it's a step by step on how to do what with your money.

this helped be get debt free and teach me how to manage my money. i teach his class twice a week at a church and at a high school on nights.

what is your monthly income, and what is your monthly debt?

Kill yourself newfag.

Budget for slightly more than you think you'll need. Then wait a day and redo your budget without looking at your old one. Compare and combine, expect to need slightly more. Be frugal, stay in on weeknight or do cheap shit with friends. Attempt to get 6 months of savings for backup. Find deals on Amazon to get cutlery etc. Find out if you're required to have renters insurance and budget accordingly. I could go on but I'm tired. Good luck m8

op imma log in a bit. if you tell me your monthly income/debt info ill give you advice.

Looking to rent? Hire a renters realtor it's actually SO much easier and they know the area's better. and can actually haggle your leases a little better too.

BEFORE YOU SIGN ANYTHING. take a walk through of the place WITH THE OWNER or property manager, and whip out your phone and record audio/video of you walking through the place pointing out EVERYTHING that's already broken/needs fixing/looks dodgy and have them acknowledge that verbally.

Get renters insurance if you own anything remotely valuable or plan on, a decent couch/living set can run you 1,000-4,000 dollars. if the dishwasher floods and ruins it, that's coming out of your pocket, and not the owners fault. so renters insurance! look into it.

Like $900-1000 per month?
Debt free

$900-1000, debt free

Nah

I've been learning a bit better, thanks for the Amazon idea

This helps but it's only for like a couple years for me. I'm 20 but it's appreciated for future use

>This helps but it's only for like a couple years for me. I'm 20 but it's appreciated for future use

that made no sense. but kay.

the debt free is awesome, but the income needs a boost. lets say you find a place for $300 a month, no internet, no tv, no eating out that leaves $700. do you have monthly bills like car insurance?

The number 1 thing to remember is:

Don't spend more than you make.

I'm renting to move in with roommates, not for like a whole house

Yes, $150 a month.

Also I'm in Boca Raton so I Fucking doubt it'd be $300
I actually may get a place for $650 that covers everything except electric if that helps

>when you get more accurate and more general advice from Sup Forums than /adv/

ok. so it's $650 a month for rent, plus $150 correct?

what do you do for a living?

Just wing it, life's too hard to give a fuck.

$60 for phone bill
We're talking total monthly expectancy probably like $1000 max due to groceries phone car and rent+elec

Bed Bath and Beyond, nothing big quite yet

Looking for trips?

ok. this is super easy. you said you make $1000 a month, but you would need to spend $1000 a month just on bills and groceries.

there's two choices. move somewhere that the rent is lower, or find a higher paying job.

Honestly it generally varies how much I make per biweek

unless your income varies +$500 to +1000 a month. you're only covering your expenses.

ok... it's be a dick time. you're 20 years old. find a decent full time job.

Feel free to copy and skim through at your convenience:
(1/3)
First thing's first: where are you working? Don't waste your time anywhere that isn't setting you up to start saving money instead of just scraping by in squalor. Even if it's your first job. There's a difference between stocking groceries/flipping burgers to make ends meet and working anywhere that will steal your soul and pay you dick. Remember, this is no longer hit up the mall/pre-order vidya game money. Wherever it is, just be sure it's stable and allowing you to put at least a tiny bit of money aside each paycheck. Btw. high interest savings accounts in a credit union are a good way to go, but for now the point is set something aside weekly in an account and "pretend" it isn't there.

-Assuming by your budget worries that you're looking for a cheap apartment and your parent's aren't affording you a cushy lifestyle once you're on your own:

***Plan to spend no more than 30% of your monthly income on rent**

-Once you find a safe enough neighborhood to actually afford living in such a place, move out ideally once you've managed to save up 3x the first month's rent (this includes deposit, 1st month's rent and some left over for apartment essentials like shower curtains, small crates or plastic furniture, etc) then stash the rest in that savings account for rent and emergency.

-Consider opening a small credit card from wherever you bank, but don't do it just yet. Wait until your revenue stream is consistent and stable enough within the next several months/year and ONLY ( I mean it) use it for emergencies. Set a personal cap of less than 30% of your credit limit for your total CC balance at any time. Pay that S.O.B. off a week early every single month until you're experienced enough to charge/payoff more frequently. Built credit will help you more than you realize soon enough.

(2/3)

-IF you haven't saved up to help you transition comfortably to budget 100% on your own yet, or if you're somewhere the cost of living is stupid high, GET ROOMMATES. People you trust, or mark my words you will be doing this on hard mode. Most people need 1-2 roommates to start with but it's not unheard of to hunker down in a small 1-BR.

-Avoid sloppy, decadent or seedy people as roommates, even if they make every impression of being smart, sensible and fun to be around. In fact, this is the perfect age to start practicing cutting out harmful human waste from your life. If someone doesn't feel worthy of your time and pain or even just seems untrustworthy as a friend/SO, they probably are so say goodbye now and find a better support system STAT.

-Be sure you're moving somewhere close enough to work or school (whichever you've decided has the highest potential to get you fully stable and prepared for long-term financial independence and a real career) that you aren't spending too much in gas to get back and forth in your vehicle. A vehicle which should already be easy to pay for monthly and ideally have less than 100k mi, good fuel economy and a strong transmission if used.

-Can't stress the value of a reliable vehicle enough so let me harp on it. If you're driving an aftermarket car you got a good deal on, and it isn't a Mazda, Honda, Toyota or Subaru or some other consumer-known dependable vehicle, sell it before it becomes anywhere close to more expensive in repairs than what you bought it for. Find something slightly better, if even $1-2K more expensive, then get the oil changed regularly.

(3/3)

-Stop eating out more than twice a week, if that. Cooking from what you bought at Aldi is not as hard as they make it seem.

-Be prepared to treat alcohol like a delicate treat you see at random or if you're lucky to have a old one every once in a while ( but of course you will find it anyway. Just don't be afraid to have tons of fun and find what makes you passionate as a person when cutting loose!).

-Anyway, your overall budget should allow you, if you're lucky, to start saving something, anything if you're lucky, from month one. After a few weeks, even $45 stashed aside after bills/groceries/gas is a good place to start. Keep saving a bit more until you can do this with upwards of $100+ or until you no longer have to think in terms of wages.

-Just stick to the budget as hard as you can and don't sway more than a few $$ here or there and you'll be able to weather all but the most sudden financial blindsides. Good health insurance helps if your parents have any to mooch from until you're 26.

-Don't make the mistakes I made, OP.

t. late-20-something who just graduated college and has credit card/student loan debt to fuck with.
Godspeed and God bless

(4/3)

Sorry, didn't see where you're working in the time it took to type that above. Not a bad start. Find a way to impress mgmt with your selling/leadership skills and POUNCE on opportunities. If they're worth your time they'll hopefully promote you from within and that'll be another tick mark on your resume. That much closer to actually saving money. We're still talking short term here.

Throw everything away or sell what you haven't used for the last 2-3 years like sorting out trash you dont need anymore