What's your favourite symphony Sup Forums?

What's your favourite symphony Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G_5Dr8Bz5Bc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=aatr_2MstrI
youtube.com/watch?v=_Osnhowfzjo&t=1167s
youtube.com/watch?v=qsbiyvpel54
youtube.com/watch?v=tf5fM1i3MGQ&feature=youtu.be&t=407
youtube.com/watch?v=cdLuvGsjwlA&t=417s
youtube.com/watch?v=QNLRWZTl3iY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=G_5Dr8Bz5Bc

The Verve's

Beefy's 5th

shosta's 7th

classicalfags get out
if you want to jerk off to muh hierarchy go to Sup Forums

Schumann's 3rd

m.youtube.com/watch?v=aatr_2MstrI

On GP

anyone got any russian classical recommendations for me? had my radio on scan the other day because i left my ipod at home and stopped on one channel playing some russian stuff. it was really good

Lul

Go back to BBC Radio 1 you uncultured plebeian.

Beethoben's 7th.

Pls no bully

This is a good Russian piece, it's one of my favourite symphonies it rather under appreciated though.
youtube.com/watch?v=_Osnhowfzjo&t=1167s

As long as you don't think music with negroid influences that is, popular music after 1900 is better than classical music, your fine.

Ruslan and Ludmilla overture
Scheherazade, Capriccio Espagnol
Night on Bald Mountain, Pictures at an Exhibition
Everything by Tchaikovsky
Rachmaninoff's Piano concertos
These are just some super popular, introductory Russian pieces. I'm actually not too familiar with the Russians outside of choral works

Bruckners 8th

youtube.com/watch?v=qsbiyvpel54

Better than any other symphony I've ever heard in my life.

r u sure about that

Totally. Prove me wrong.

It may be the best symphony you have ever heard yourself, but objectively it lack technical difficulty is is just mediocre.

Mahler 7

Beethoven 9th or Wagner Ring of Nebulus.

IMO that song, based purely on length and instrumentation, cannot achieve the same scale of complexity or depth of emotion as a classical symphony. It's fine for romanticizing about your life while waiting for the bus, but a comfort song is all it will be. If that's what you like then that's what you like, though.

The Seer

>implying complexity = better
That's why you classical fans are so hated, because you believe this crap. Music is about feelings expressed through sounds. Technical difficulty is overrated. It's much harder to make something great with fewer resources or by using simpler "building blocks".
If you're impressed by some bombastic symphonies, fine. But when you'll grow out of that phase you'll see that you were shallow for thinking that more notes or more difficult arrangements = better.

Or it could be that once your ear develops and you start hearing the generic harmonies and chord changes that make up 99% of pop music you want something different

idc if it's complex or simple, I find Grimes extremely bland and uninteresting.

>ignoring depth of emotion statement because muh melodies

I see your point however, we like human brains like complexity up to a point of course. This makes Classical music objectively better than music with negroid influences in it like pop. However because pop music is pretty much everywhere we go we have been brainwashed to like it because our brains like familiar things.

Music is much more than harmonies and chord changes. You forgot about timbre, human voice, production and others. You can create new sounds that couldn't even be noted on a music sheet.
Even if some harmonies and chord changes are generic because they were overused, you can still create exciting music with them by combining them in creative ways.
Ever wondered why people rarely listen to music with little repeated parts like classical? Because the human brain is not wired to enjoy long pieces with little recognizable parts. The human brain seeks repetition and predictibility in order to get pleasure. And most popular music deliver that.

Bruckner 8

Classical music, at least up to the 1950s, is literally about repetition and development.

>depth of emotion
A song created by an artist (including the production) about their own struggles is far more emotional and relatable than a clinical symphony made in order to impress the audiences with a shower of notes. A song with a fragile human voice and touching lyrics is far more poignant than a bunch of notes. A song created AND performed AND recorded by a single artist is far more authentic than a symphony created by a composer, performed by an orchestra and recorded by some sound engineers.

the entire purpose of music notation is to notate every reproducible sound. Not being able to notate it so others can accurately reproduce it is either on purpose or a failing of the composer.

>music with little repeated parts like classical
What? Large amounts of classical music are based entirely around repetition and repeats. The Goldberg variations is just a couple dozen or so innovations on a theme; plenty of others build around a theme and play with it, mutating and messing around with it. Have you ever listened to classical music?

Add.: And when it stopped being about that, the minimalists came and doubled down on the idea of developing repeated themes.

>timbre
Classical works with a far larger timbre variety than pop garbage. In fact, variety in timbre has only been going down in pop music. Besides, not only that, pop music's change in timbre is most of the time not exploring anything new meanwhile classical redefined timbre with works like Kontakte.
>human voice
Another realm that classical has experimented with far more than pop music. Works like cantatas, operas, and things within danger music have done a lot more than pop garbage.
>production
Classical has excelled by far here as well. The arrangements and the work being done inside of them requires far more nuance to produce than pop music. Then there's the mixing/effects based aspect which classical has used to do beyond just common pop effects like Ferneyhough's Time And Motion Study II where the concept of delays is used to distort one's sense of time.

>why people rarely listen to classical
Because it's a heavily nuanced genre with a lot of detail that requires more active listening? It's much easier to read a picture book than a James Joyce novel as well.

Why is it more authentic? Conductors and musicians necessarily insert their own interpretation between what's on the page and what you hear, but you yourself are inserting your own interpretation between what you hear and what you feel. If the purpose of music is, at least in part, to make others feel, then a group of highly trained and focused people doing their utmost to understand and communicate that in a single, unified vision seems not only more impressive, but more likely to actually reach the listener. A group of people's perception and conveyance of a single emotion is more likely to be accurate and total than a single person's, after all. Sure, a symphony might struggle to achieve the intimate feeling of some pop song, but classical music is not without its own intimate settings, either.

>mfw this post

Musical instruments convey emotion and lot's of classical music has voices in it. Couldn't I say a piece of music such as this, composed by one man for his Christian beliefs is far more poignant than a person in a recording studio with 10 producers and music made with only a computer. Do you see the fallacy in your argument now? You are generalising. Watch this video and tell me Classical music is not superior to popular music.
youtube.com/watch?v=tf5fM1i3MGQ&feature=youtu.be&t=407

>literally every thread involving classical music outside /classical/ get swamped by retards

>Watch this video and tell me Classical music is not superior to popular music.
It's not because almost all classical music sounds about the same SONICALLY. Everything that could be done with the classical instruments has been done already. I'd rather listen to a well made modern pop song like REALiTi or to something like FSOL who bring some new sounds to table instead of the same tired violins and pianos. For me, music is about actual sounds, not notes.

will it ever stop, user?

This is fucking bullshit and says nothing about quality, just what an individual can directly relate to. Any music can give emotional ecstasy to anyone. My most constant example is a Make A Wish kid who finds more emotions in Justin Beiber than anything your or I listen to. Nothing either of us can say can take that away from the kid. Nothing either of us say can take away from Dmitri Shostakovich crying his ass off when he heard people perform his String Quartet 8 because of the emotions he based that off of. Nothing can take away from the kind of chaos and darkness people feel in works like Threnody To The Victims Of Hiroshima or that one 9/11 commissioned piece. Nothing will change that the most infamous burst of sheer music related emotion was a riot that happened after the debut of Le Sacre Du Printemps.

I personally think that classical music has far more emotive capabilities since it doesn't have to limit itself to phrases of melodies only a couple measures long. But even then I can't change subjective feelings that have no place in a discussion like this.

>classical asshat whining that people criticize his fave genre
>stop talking controversial opinions and protect my fragile ego

But those are preset synth sounds, nothing all that original either. With many of the sounds based in keyboard/string instruments as well. Not only that, since they are just synthesized versions of those sounds, they are limited in exploring timbre.

Not to mention stuff like musique concrete which does the exploring timbre thing even better.

Hating on classical music isn't controversial, it's commonplace, a symptom of western anti-intellectualism and cultural decay.

>a symptom of western anti-intellectualism and cultural decay.
LOL. People are just allowed to dislike your precious classical.

"Hating" on classical is an alarming sign that says a lot about your intelligence (or lack thereof).

me too

Cultural decay is just what idiots with no sense of history say. 90% of culture has been shit through history, people laughing at people getting hit in the nuts and bad music. Classical for the most part was for a small elite and even that elite rejected many of the things we regard as masterpieces these days.

same

I think the desire for different timbres and new sounds is valid, but it's not a permanent issue. Getting tired of a timbre is something that probably happens to every instrument, and it's pretty easy to vacillate between genres as your ears get tired of one thing or another. Someone who's sick of string instruments might change their mind in 5 years, because they're no longer fatigued by listening to as many quartets as they possibly can.
To say that everything that could be done with classical instrument has been done implies that you've listened to everything in the classical repertoire and no innovation in the area is possible. I doubt both of these things are true. The well of classical music is so huge that there's probably a piece that resonates deeply for each of us, although getting tired of Western Art music while trying to find it is pretty understandable.

La Gazza Ladra (Thieving Magpie) by Rossini is probably my favorite but I already said Wagner and Beethoven take the lead in virtuosity.

>still implying that only people with high iq listen to classical
>implying that if you dislike classical you must lack intelligence
>never heard about music taste being subjective
Stay idiot.

this thread is about symphonies
or it was at least

canon in D is my favorite symphony, desu. What's yours, user?

Sibelius 5th

That's one of mine too, which conductors version was best?

well I heard it live played by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra conducted by Saraste (along with Beethoven's 7th), but the copy I own is Bloomfield conducting Rochester, which is a great recording, but there's nothing like a live performance and the PSO is great to begin with

>using 'uncultured plebian' unironically
damn buddy I'm surprised you haven't quoted rick and morty yet

I haven't listened to many symphonies, but of what I've lsitened to I guess Beethoven's 6th is my favorite.
Does Schubert have any good symphonies? I love his chamber music.

Beethoven's symphonia number nine

His first several are firmly rooted in the Classical era, but 8 (Unfinished) and 9 (Great) are when he really shines.

8th and 9th are god tier, 5th is okay, the rest are average

I unironically love Schubert 3

I rather like his 5th symphony, although people who hate Mozart wont. youtube.com/watch?v=cdLuvGsjwlA&t=417s

Toccata and Fugue in D minor

Please don't say your serious.

Beethoven 6th
La mer
Symphonies of Wind Instruments
Borodin's 2nd
Tchaikovsky's 6th
Roussel 3rd
Messiaens Turangalila
Rimsky's 1st

i unironically enjoy this song

This is now a /planetcore/ thread.