/daily/ - On the spectrum

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0ZNZZf0kf6s
youtube.com/watch?v=YjyI0cFumT0
rateyourmusic.com/release/single/yarn/pine-tree/
derbastler.bandcamp.com/track/yarn-pine-tree-single-1992-previously-unreleased
youtu.be/foLzP3qQoSY
soundcloud.com/orangemilk/julien-memory-interface
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/esbjorn_svensson_trio/leucocyte/
youtube.com/watch?v=Fzzw5fNAumw
youtube.com/watch?v=eGm7M5PQAmQ
youtube.com/watch?v=dOIDUwjWzl8
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/芸能山城組/恐山-osorezan-銅之剣舞-do-no-kenbai/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hauschka/what-if/
hauschka.bandcamp.com/album/what-if
youtube.com/watch?v=me0mdQSkjFo
youtube.com/watch?v=-yooRXu0KWY
youtube.com/watch?v=rM2WDjWaI4Y
mega.nz/#!tdBx2ThC!41t5XOLyB1OZtejZ4YvSOL2QLap_NbuPEfMiJDPjNw4
youtube.com/watch?v=MPtoPRp0dvc
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/ада_якушева/лучшие_песни/
youtube.com/watch?v=b7c6f7nlKaE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is black metal the single greatest metal genre

SELL YR SOUL FOR ROCKS AND STONES
MONEY IT CAN KILL YA

melancholia is a lot better than antichrist. this gives me false hope for nymphomaniac.

(stick)
yeah i heard houdini a long time ago, and a senile animal is one of my favorite metal albums.
and again, my parents love em, so i've probably heard most of their discography in the back seat of my dad's car.
(fish)
>you and nat should colab on a Jim O'Rourke essentials chart. Shit would be niceeee
OOH GOOD CALL
yeah i can feel ya there. it just grows tiresome. what state are you from?
(nat)
ok this is good news. remind me when i get 100% caught up on o'rourke (should prolly be a month or two)

it's everyday bro with the disney channel flow

>melancholia is a lot better than antichrist. this gives me false hope for nymphomaniac.
yh it is. Nymphomaniac is more like Antichrist. I'd try Dogville/Dancer in the Dark/The Idiots first. People like Breaking the Waves but I thought it was just a worse version of Dancer in the Dark.
Melancholia is hte only one I find really good though, I fucking love Kirsten Dunst.

I done dis
I feel Janacek and Stara might go up and maybe Vivaldi but idk

youtube.com/watch?v=0ZNZZf0kf6s

also, topsters.net has been working great for quite some time now, so you guys should probably start using that again :)

I'm starting to enjoy corny ass folk pop

Dancer in the Dark looks nice.
The cgi was also surprisingly good for a movie from 6 years ago.
>songmy a 3
i should give that another listen.

backlog (next)

That's pretty cool :)

the low quality of the collages from topsters1 gives me migraine

I didn't know that David Lynch worked with the New York Philharmonic

Me too maybe, but I feel I'd rather listen to Freddie doing more regular stuff like I did when I listened to it.
ebic

you can up the quality using the 'size' slider though

10 entrant song tourney, while I clean out some charts.

Winner gets a 16 album drone. No runner up prizes.

this.
like what?

oh shit i forgot restrictions:

Nothing longer than 5 minutes. Any genre for now

This sort of thing:
youtube.com/watch?v=YjyI0cFumT0

Listen to this:
rateyourmusic.com/release/single/yarn/pine-tree/
derbastler.bandcamp.com/track/yarn-pine-tree-single-1992-previously-unreleased

i like his weirder stuff more, but i get ya.

youtu.be/foLzP3qQoSY

soundcloud.com/orangemilk/julien-memory-interface

>disney channel flow
MF DOOM?

From IA. Literally nothing happens here except neoliberals who live in Des Moines and hicks who live in a town with twelve people sometimes get into funny fights in the sculpture garden downtown on the weekends.

if ya lookin for strange stuff maybe this
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/esbjorn_svensson_trio/leucocyte/
not much like songmy though I guess

that sounds pretty chill outside of the catholic school shit.

good place to grow up, shitty place to live

they call us flyover states for a reason

I wanna move to New Mexico someday idek why

nah i like weird jazz. thanks.
i wanna live in the rust belt and become a janator or some shit. it is so hard to breathe in new jersey.
actually new mexico sounds pretty cool outside of the lack of dinosaur bbq.
i want to form some big art place people can just kinda live in if they want to, like that thing emerson did except not shitty.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fzzw5fNAumw

youtube.com/watch?v=eGm7M5PQAmQ

Cedar Rapids? Lol

Are there good places to hike and fish at least or is it one of those endless corn kind of places?

Literally criminal score for the motifs btw

Milton nascimento & lo borges- tudo que voce podia ser

shit opinions incoming. looking forward to finishing this tomorrow.

>不失者 - 1st
I was expecting this whole thing to be like なったんじゃない, so I'm glad it wasn't. But now I'm just confused because the rest just sounds like a mix of post-rock and slowcore/emocore to me. That's cool though given that this came out in 1989, I guess. I probably don't "get" it, but I did enjoy what I heard.
3.5-

>Suicide - Suicide
Clearly this is pretty interesting, but it doesn't actually interest me. I find the vocals in particular to be annoying, so clearly this isn't my taste. At least it's short.

>Jim O'Rourke - Eureka
I need to listen to this again, but I thought it was nice.

>Good Morning Good Night
All I can say is I'm glad that Rod's listenalong album was my first exposure to onkyo and not this. The length and sparseness are just too much for me.
1.0-

>The Velvet Underground & Nico - Andy Warhol
Similar thoughts as Suicide. I think this is less interesting than Suicide was, but it's more traditionally appealing. I can believe that this is a grower, but I'm impatient so maybe I'll get to a relisten in the distant future.

>I find the vocals in particular to be annoying
WRONG
glad you enjoyed eureka at least. anything negative to say about it?

(ALSO I CAN SLIDE YA SOME MORE ONKYO RECS IF YE'D LIKE)

mm i want in on these onkyo recs
ive been digging it lately

what've u heard so far that you've liked?

>I find the vocals in particular to be annoying, so clearly this isn't my taste
have you ever listened to King Krule

quartet is really good, i think thats my most played onkyo album. i dig teatro assente and gmgn altho i dont listen to them often. live in saritote was rly nice too.
ive heard all the memes basically

youtube.com/watch?v=dOIDUwjWzl8

I might have to take that comment back b/c it seems like Girls and Frankie's non-vocals just made a "strong impression." I got nothing to say about Eureka beyond it being pleasant because I wasn't paying full attention.

Sure, especially if you got anything less sparse.

>onkyo
Someone sell this genre to me like I'm someone who doesn't enjoy hearing tests

this really activated my almonds

disc 2 of Jürg Frey / Radu Malfatti - II is really solid stuff that expands on the use of background noise in quartet.
秋山徹次 - Route 13 to the Gates of Hell: Live in Tokyo blends blues rock with lowercase if you want more like the guitar stuff in Assente.
Michael Pisaro - Tombstone is a "poppier" lowercase record, using a lot more elements of choral music and modern classical. Julia Holter is also on it, which is always a plus.
other good goods:
Bernhard Günter - Un peu de neige salie is more or less the first lowercase record, so that's not a bad pick.
Nikos Veliotis & Klaus Filip - Slugabed is a whole album like track 2 of quartet.
Keith Rowe & John Tilbury - Duos for Doris is a must listen if you haven't already heard it. not really onkyo, but it uses similar techniques and is amazing.

if you want more after that, ask me.

if you want more pleasant, go for Bad Timing.
some less sparse material (outside of the stuff listed above that i said wasn't sparce):
Cool Quartet with Lina Nyberg featuring Éric La Casa - Dancing in Tomelilla
Taku Unami / Takahiro Kawaguchi - Teatro Assente
杉本拓と佳村萠 - さりとて2 (Saritote II)
Bject - Bject
Kevin Drumm - Second
Durán Vázquez - Computador, Plug-ins & 2600

well, would you rather have yr ears destroyed by noise or caressed by gentle nothingness?
idrk how to explain it, but i think im just growing out of noise. most of the time now i just want something more gentle and atmospheric, and most onkyo really fits that deal for me
duos for doris is a 10/10 record for me, the other recs look great thank you

welcome. hope this helps.

i can't enjoy listening to some bloke who sounds like he needs to get clocked in the face

Saving all of this, good lord

>i can't enjoy listening to some bloke who sounds like he needs to get clocked in the face
I hate hearing my own voice, too

Alright I just need a rec from Trip Up. A warning also that I'll be very busy for the upcoming week with moving into my dorm and other things regarding college, so things will be slow.

This is such a weird tourney, I love it

nice, I'll have to remember these.

getting trancecore is basically an automatic loss anyways lmao

GOOD post.

good post

Gottem

"good"

good owl

Winners' Bracket:

Letov - Tim Buckley - Live At Troubadour 1969
4.0-

Mark And - The Tallis Scholars/Peter Philips - Spem in Alium
Very nice. 'Spem in Alium' is the standout piece, and the other short ones are pretty good as well. Less enthusiastic about 'Gaude Gloriosa Dei Mater.'
3.5+

Tuco - Menomena - I Am The Fun Blame Monster
The drums are unbearable, cymbal and hi-hat hits constantly with comparitively relaxed melody and rhythm sections, and it's way too loud. The rest of the music is alright, even if it is unoriginal at times.
The singer is kinda shit as well, with little character except for the voice cracks. Last track was pretty good except for the atrocious singing.

Nyarlathotep - Smoke - Another Reason To Fast
Not the best thing I've ever heard, but better than I anticipated. There are some good points to nearly every song. The dirgy parts when the whole bands plays are good.
3.0+

Losers' Bracket:

Borzoi - Ulver - Bergtatt
The riff writing is good if pretty repetitive at times.
3.5+

Nat - Songs:Ohia - Axxess And Ace
Just good.
3.5-

Jimmy Jazz - Young Thug - Barter 6
Anticipated not liking this at all, was pleasantly surprised. But still, all the tracks having such similar beats & flows gets a bit boring.

FlyingIceWizard - The Raincoats - Odyshape
2.5-

Blapp - Bugskull - Phantasies and Senseitions
While it has some moments, there's this pervasive air of amateurism looming over the album, like if the members of Animal Collective had less talent.
The loops become grating when played for extended periods of time.

Benji - Negativland - U2
not a fan
2.5-

Darklands - Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy
The Martin Hannet-esque production doesn't particularly work to this albums strengths, I think. I still enjoy it a good deal though. Score could def go up.
3.0+

Accel - Amon Duul II - Yeti
Their more traditional songs are great, their improv and experimentation falters a bit.
3.5-

recs from
Borzoi
Accel
Tuco
Nyar
Darklands
Nat
Letov
Mark And

>Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Music From the Penguin Cafe
>Chamber Pop
A half-orchestra, half band producing the equivalent of uncomfortably warm milk. It has the unfortunate similarities of commercial music, and its minimalism influences end up hurting more than helping. I guess that Zopf is what I dislike most about the album, a composition spanning 7 of its tracks, but single works like Chartered Flight and The Sound of Someone You Love are much more interesting as pieces of this album.
5/10

>Michael Nyman - Decay Music
>Minimalism, Microtonal(?)
1-100 is piano minimalism in the traditional cinematic sense, played at half the speed it was recorded. Adding the serene and stereotypical chords, you get the image of drops of water trickling off an edge of sorts, falling into a small pool. Perhaps too long, as 27 minutes, most people here will dislike this track for how stupidly simple it is. The mood shift is gradual, but not absent.

Bell Set No. 1 is a big fuck you to instruments used for meditation (gongs, cymbals, chimes). It begins like clockwork, but as the album's title implies, it decays, sorta? It doesn't really "decay" ala Disintegration Tapes.

Third track is 1-100 but with smaller time intervals.
Listen to this for the first track, switch to third if you don't like it.
5-/10

>Harold Budd - The Pavilion of Dreams
>Minimalism, Jazzy Ambient
I may be hypocritical for liking the echoing sax, glockenspiel and electric piano on the first track, given how cheesy the combination should be, but also having dislike for Penguin Cafe. I assume it's preference for atmosphere.

The second track evokes images of Noir, with a harp and opera lead saying "ah". The third steps back with a background choir and the addition of a Celesta and more piano. Very understated.

Juno is the most striking work, beginning and ending in dissonance, with the voices of the Obscure label's musicians (Eno, Bryars, White, and Nyman) audible halfway through.
7/10

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/芸能山城組/恐山-osorezan-銅之剣舞-do-no-kenbai/

>The dirgy parts when the whole bands plays are good.
I'VE GOT ROSEMARY IN ONE HAND
AND THE BEDPOST
IN THE OTHER

Glad you liked it
Any restrictions to next round?

no restrictions (other than make it an album), but no 5 hour compilations would be appreciated

taking a gamble
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hauschka/what-if/
hauschka.bandcamp.com/album/what-if

Still taking 4 more entrants for song tourney. If more express interest, I'll accept past 10

youtube.com/watch?v=me0mdQSkjFo
might be the best vocal performance I've ever heard on a punk song
Melvins - The Bit

Dreamend- I ate myself bite by bite

Torn hawk - streets on fire

Life - Popular Music

Good morning /daily/!

Sick day! Chilling in bed listening to tunes. Starting off with Beck's Midnight Vultures.

dicks calzone

nice

I miss when musical abortion shitposting was at its peak
What an odd sentence

me too. sdc bring it back

I miss the times when you panned everything

youtube.com/watch?v=-yooRXu0KWY

hahauhahauahgg

>I miss the times when you panned everything
Maybe I should let daily make me a calendar...

Enter Shikari - Adieu

Great doesnt come from grating, esl-kun.

Oh wait you did the daily chart so you heard it right?
Red Velvet - dumb dumb

Good-day /daily/, how are you all doing today? Tried the following;

>Ought - More Than Any Other Day. This is a great post-punk album. Quite appreciate Tim Darcy's eclectic vocal style in addition to the guitar layering that in a sense reminds me of DEVO.
>Ought - Sun Coming Down. This is a marginal improvement over their previous release and starts off far stronger with the track Men For Miles, opening with a sharp guitar riff before harking back to familiar territory. The Combo features jangly guitars on top of a laser-precise drum pattern.
>Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold. Its not as great as I was expecting, though it is still pretty good overall, still liked N Dakota.
>The Soft Moon - Deeper. This builds on the atmosphere of the self-titled record whilst emphasizing stronger production as evidenced on the first two tracks "Inward" and "Black" where the volume of the sound layers is toyed with. Vasquez' also fills up the album to a greater capacity with his dark vocals that bring the tracks together in a story-like manner, one that honestly seems like it'd serve as a replacement to the Shadow the Hedgehog soundtrack, and I don't mean that as an insult.
>The Soft Moon - s/t. This is another post-punk artist, this time in the shape of a solo project from the multi-instrumentalist and producer Luis Vasquez, the album manifests itself as a colder take on Trent Reznor's Nine Inch Nails with a stronger shift towards post-punk rather than industrial rock. The atmosphere of this album is thick and edgy, augmented by the sparse gaspy vocals atop dissonant guitar tones and a lower BPM compared to many other post-punk contemporaries.

youtube.com/watch?v=rM2WDjWaI4Y

>An accurate view into the mind of Lord Autismo

Jim O'Rourke - Eureka

don't forget to eat your listenalong!

Ada Yakusheva - [moonrunes]
>bad music
mega: mega.nz/#!tdBx2ThC!41t5XOLyB1OZtejZ4YvSOL2QLap_NbuPEfMiJDPjNw4

youtube sample: youtube.com/watch?v=MPtoPRp0dvc

rym: rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/ада_якушева/лучшие_песни/

>[moonrunes]
it just says Best Of

Well now it's time to come back after the summer
First I'll finish my tourney to get that out of the way, then I'll do listenalongs until I've done em all

This was me btw, forgot my trip

youtube.com/watch?v=b7c6f7nlKaE

lol just saw this nvm

How bout here?

Ulver - Bergtatt !!

Alrighty

Need recs from jesz, jangle and transgod

ask for thoughts
rec me films

thanks

good shit:

People Pleaser
Yank Crime
In Gut's House
Thousand Knives

Just saw yamir snatched the thing. At the heart of winter then.

thots on admonishing the bishops? tful is one of the best bands. also whats the one with the eyes on the white background?

i rec you the movie Comet In Moominland