Why is this underwhelming singer so worshipped on this board?

why is this underwhelming singer so worshipped on this board?
I haven't heard 1 song by her that's catchy or memorable.
Can any of you SJW explain her appeal to me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=keke7BGzJPI
pitchfork.com/news/38738-newsom-takes-on-gaga-madonna/
youtu.be/EuMsDbUmyM8?t=5m48s
youtube.com/watch?v=CjBGuX3dp5M
youtube.com/watch?v=qukojXEK2GI
youtube.com/watch?v=UGoNCvoZuYA
youtube.com/watch?v=Yr7zXskhy68
people.com/babies/andy-samberg-joanna-newsom-welcome-daughter/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>muh quirky indie waifu

that's it.

>Madonna's a dumb-ass!

what did she mean by this?

she's the ultimate pleb filter.

most of the things worshipped on this board are shit OP, you should know this by now

youtube.com/watch?v=keke7BGzJPI
both catchy and memorable imo

>catchy=good
>using sjw
you can leave this board now

yeah bro this goes great with my lord of the rings boxset holy fuck!!

found the SJW

She's mostly respected because her name is attached to Ys, an album created almost entirely by Van Dyke Parks, Steve Albini and Jim O'rourke, (More talented musicians.) Her face was on the cover, though, so people think she's responsible for its quality. (She isn't.)

Her other albums aren't that impressive. Hoom is decent I guess,

Also wow le harp player so indie.

nice im glad you enjoyed it

Reddit
Albini only recorded the album, and only the harp+vocals at that.
Harp and piano arrangements were made by Newsom, parks and o'rourke only made the backing parts for strings, wind, and jaw harp.
Even contrarians like Scaruffi concede albums made in similar circumstances with producer interference like Bowie's Berlin trilogy or Remain in Light or Fear of Music are good.

darling there's a place for us
can we go before i turn to dust

I dont know that much of Joanna Newsoms music but I listened to The Milk Eyed Mender today and I thought the whole thing was great. I liked the lyrics and i liked pacing between harp or piano based songs so it never felt boring. And i think her voice is a love it or hate it thing but I love it, I felt like crying from some songs

she actually said it though pitchfork.com/news/38738-newsom-takes-on-gaga-madonna/

Joanna always intelligent.

The fuck? She wrote the songs, Parks arranged four of them, Albini engineered the recording of the vocals and harp, Jim O'rourke mixed it.

i didnt really i was being sarcastic sorry lol

no shit

Madonna is closer to organised prostitution than anything else. Something like that.

>But I do certainly hate the complete garbage that is most EDM music. Couldn’t be worse if it went out of its way to try.

yeah but if you take those guys out it wouldn't be a listenable album, just beat poetry

Madonna hates men.

>an album created almost entirely by Van Dyke Parks, Steve Albini and Jim O'rourke,
This isn't even true at all. Why are you just lying? Everything on Albini's and O'Rourke's end was purely technical. O'Rourke is a great producer, but he didn't even touch Ys in that sense. Albini's entire ethos towards producing is to leave as much of his own creative vision out of the process and purely channel the artists own intentions. Yes Van Dyke Parks did the arrangements, but he was basing it off of Joanna's songwriting, which is the real standout of the album and is something that can't be attributed to anybody other than Joanna herself. Not to mention that she did contribute to his compositions, it's not like she's gonna give him full creative control over her album.

Seriously, why the fuck even post about something that you clearly know nothing about?

Blisteringly retarded.

Baffling

Perfectly said

Also the songs are quite catchy. There are so many ear worms in each if you give it time

Yeah but hows her ass?

this is now a hard-hitting joanna newsom lyrics thread

>take my bones, I don't need none

Cosmia hits me hard, especially after learning that it was written after the death of her best friend.

>will you call me, when you get there?

>wanting songs to be 'catchy'
newsom is a genius of intricately-constructed lyricism and raw, unwinding melodies. not to mention a fucking badass on the harp. If your issue with her is her voice, start with Have One on Me or Divers. It's more palatable post-Ys. And if your issue with her is song length, start with Milk-eyed Mender. Then listen to Ys at sunrise in the woods a few times. If you do all this and still fail to see the merit of her work, you're probably just a contrarian pleb & there's no hope 4 u

>and I miss your precious heart! and miss! and miss! and miss! and miss!

youtu.be/EuMsDbUmyM8?t=5m48s
I constantly have the haunting melody at 5:48 stuck in my head

>not wanting songs to be catchy
I listened to all her stuff, just couldn't comprehend the appeal. Nothing stuck out as good, or even average. But as this thread has shown, plenty agree with me. Seems like people on this board are just told to like her, and as usual, the hipster plebs comply.

Perhaps you just don't like it and others do

Nah I guess we're all just lying, that seems reasonable

>can't comprehend it
>ergo everyone who likes it must be a pretentious conformist

really loving your philistine-trash argument today

>pretentious conformist
>hur dur hur you don't like Newsom!! philistine!!

try not to be contradictory when triggered user
Newsom is trash

Deliberate anti intellectualism killed this board

you just lost the argument user
plain and simple

but hey, why dont' you listen to Have One On Me to make your hurt pleb feelings feel better.

Joanna has a unique approach to lyricism that can imbue otherwise mundane subjects with beauty.

bait

This whole thread was bait all along, amazing. What a surprise.

I don't care too much for her music but listen to these songs:

youtube.com/watch?v=CjBGuX3dp5M

youtube.com/watch?v=qukojXEK2GI

youtube.com/watch?v=UGoNCvoZuYA

youtube.com/watch?v=Yr7zXskhy68

are these really "underwhelming" to you? she's very talented and her music is pretty enjoyable.

>that meme

it's not my fault there are a lot of hipster plebs that found my not liking of Newsom to be bait. I just wanted to understand the appeal, because there is none, and I found that lots of people agreed with me, and that has triggered the most on here. Including you.

Listened to all her songs, and yes. Underwhelming at best.

>the appeal, because there is none
Say things smarter than this and I won't assume that you're baiting

Her music clearly isn't for you. Is there anything that you like from her genre?

>Listened to all her songs

I'm sure you did champ.

People agreed with me user
I know you're upset about that.
but just try to relax.

If you're not baiting then explain what you don't like about her music. And try not to use buzzwords, it's obvious how young you are.

Already did at the start user
can you not read?

>people who don't like Newsom are trolling!!!

oh dear, user. Oh dear.

i have no strong opinions about newsom's music other than i listened to ys once and thought it was alright but holy shit this reddit-tier lingo and memes you're using are embarrassing and you will think back to these type of posts in 4 years and it will be like looking at a lolcat or rage comic: something embarrassing that you'll want to forget you ever contributed to

lol. Just kidding everyone. Baited you suckers!

utried.gif

OP here, Newsom still sucks

see

>not catchy or memorable
Maybe some details about the songs you didn't like besides that. I just don't believe you're being genuine. Your statement could be used for any artist any person doesn't like. But it hardly helps us help you enjoy her music but that's not what this thread as about. You haven't sat down and listen to an album by her all the way through so this whole discussion is pointless.

We get weekly checks from the Newsom family in order to convince others that she actually makes good music. We also pretend to emotionally content with the lyrical content.

I've listened to all her songs. They are underwhelming at best.

some people don't like trash music

seems all these Newsom fancucks have a hard time accepting that, I guess.

You're doing it again.

She's one of my absolute favorites! Not for everybody i suppose haha. Who do you like?

This guy is a phony. My complaints are in the first post of this thread.

stop telling the truth

kek newsom fans try so hard, cute.

t. hanks

The classic 'I-don't-like-so-neither-should-you' argument.

w.elcome

People are giving you answers, you just don't want to listen. Nothing to see here

the classic 'you don't like what I've been told to like so that means I'm gonna be mad about it' argument.

isn't Andy Samberg her boyfriend

Sorry that your post was wasted on idiots

You're free to like or dislike anything you please, but so is everyone else.

Lady Gaga is a lot more talented than Joanna Newsom could ever be.

Andy Samberg is her husband and the father of her newborn baby.

nobody's mad your dumb ass doesn't like newsom. theyre just trying to explain why they do, which is um, what OP explicitly asked for

im gAY

people.com/babies/andy-samberg-joanna-newsom-welcome-daughter/

Lofuckingl!

then stop crying that I, and many other people on this thread don't like Newsom. It's your problem, not ours.

I explained my reasons. No one has given me any answers. I'm gay.

I'm sure he'll feel better about preaching to the 'Numpty Newsom choir'

gotta be quicker than that in future user
but you tried.

There's a lot of falseflagging going on ITT and I can't even tell which side is false flagging for who.
So many posts just seem...fishy. Like the user who posted it either lost it or really NEEDS to bait. Both pro-Newsom and anti-Newsom.

>80 / 10 / 29 / 1
speaks for itself

Is this what happens when both sides pretend to be the other side and get into an argument with each other

I'm really hurt that you don't like Joanna Newsom. Can you at least appreciate her body of work?

What music do you like

Please expose me to your more sophisticated taste.

I think the user who posted this thread got plenty of replies before the Newsom following started sperging out. I don't know man.
They've embarrassed themselves either way.

idk I came into this thread super late and it seems like it just delved into total insanity

true
some people just can't accept that Newsom isn't loved by everyone on Sup Forums
meh

OP here, I know it's confusing. Let's get back on track. What makes her music interesting at all?

thanks for the consolation

ok Ignatius J. Reilly, don't ask why people enjoy her and then insult people when they say why they enjoy her

yeah, telling a person who's already listened to all of Newsoms music to ''listen to her music to get into her'' wasn't such a smart idea.
Idiotic suggestion from an idiot.

There's your consolation. A cross-eyed opener, just for you.

kek at the other guy pretending to be me
probably upset I got so many replies on this thread, and he got none. Kek.

None of you're business.

^
still pretending to be
I'm not gonna reply to him because I know he'll get triggered.

o, and for the record, I like non-trashy music
so I guess that eliminates Joanna Newsom from the equation.

get a tripcode you faggots

If all of the of the feasible vitriol has been used up for now, im gonna go fuck my Hot Babe 10/10 girlfriend for the entire duration of Have One on Me while reciting Scaruffi's description of it in her ear hope u folks have a good night

what's that?

I was just joke
Newsom is cleerly the best
and anyone who disagrees
your dumb!

Everyone in this thread learned an important lesson on why they shouldn't act like faggots.

Are you done acting like a child?