How long has it been since you've been to the dentist, user?

How long has it been since you've been to the dentist, user?

about 3 months ago.

6 months

thanks for reminding me to book an appointment

bout 16 months.

i need a bunch of work done, but i cant afford it and have been unemployed ever since.

What sort of work? Crowns, deep cleanings?

how the fuck does someone stay unemployed for over a year

About five months. I have my next appointment scheduled already.
Quite easily, I imagine.

like 5 years. i brush everyday and dont have any tooth pain.

That's good but you probably still need a deep cleaning. I used to be the same way but I started going back when my gums started getting weaker and bleeding. Guaranteed you've got shit built up someplace you can't reach.

Was about a year ago. Grew up very poor, no mother. Father was a drunk. I am 28 and I had all mine yanked out and got false teeth. Best decision I've ever made

Lemme guess, you're from Alabama.

3 months

Had my teeth pulled made my tongue 2" longer...profit

Ive been unemployed for 7 years

14 years and counting.

Do they have you coming in more than every six months because of your gums?

21 years.
Went last week again finally. 1 cavity, but needed 3 appointments to clean deep under gums.
Dentist said it was nothing short of a miracle,

What's having false teeth like? Does it feel like having healthy real teeth? What is upkeep like? I have a mostly healthy mouth but I've always thought artificial cyborg teeth would be objectively superior.

There are dentures and then you could go the implant route, but having a mouth full of those will be seriously expensive. You could always have dentures that you can snap onto a series of implants, though.

No, my dentist did say three months would be ideal since I'd had that history but my insurance won't pay for more than two a year. I asked him to tell me honestly if he thought it was important enough to pay out of pocket and he said not really as long as my habits now are good.

5 months, going back in about 14 days for a cleaning. Had been about 5 years before that, though I had nothing wrong when I started going back.

Yesterday. 0 cavities

Does anyone besides me enjoy getting their teeth cleaned? I get so relaxed I've fallen asleep during it before.

Muh gums yo

6 or 7 years.

No because my gums are sensitive so I'm on edge the whole time awaiting the always inevitable next painful poke. The feeling after it's finished is undeniably fantastic though.

16 hours

About a week or four. Before that a couple of years. Had alot of work done which cost me a shitload of money but it's worth it. Need to make a new appointment for that last couple of things.

Try taking some ibuprofen about an hour before going in, rinse with warm salt water after. Also, ask your hygienist if they can use a Cavitron scaler instead of the "scraping tools", that can help.

I've been just ONCE in about thirty years. The last time I went, was about eight years ago.

prior to

"... about thirty years ago ...";

..... I used to routinely go to the dentist twice per year. He would always do, and charge exorbitant fees for at least one filling, and do a "clean up, that involved poking and scratching with a sharply pointed implement, and messing about with some sort of air-drill.

I always needed further work the next time I went, and it always included at least one filling.

When I went there about thirty years ago, he did very expensive work on two molars, and recommended that I paid extra for some sort of white (natural tooth colour, more healthy than mercury amalgam) plastic "veneers", and also recommended that I buy some "floss", to clean between the teeth.

The veneers lasted about three months before the "flossing" pulled them away from the teeth, exposing the root filling .....

(or whatever he had put in there, immediately before the "veneers" were glued in pplace with a fancy - and very expensive - uv heat gun or whatever )

..... that they previously covered.

That was when I stopped going to the Dentist, and the exposed veneerless / unprotected cavities then decayed very over the next twenty years, during which I did not clean my teeth anywhere near as often as Dentists routinely recommend.

We evolved quite well, for hundreds of thousands of years, without dentists, without toothpaste, without flossing, without fillings, without braces, without dentures, and without expensive dental treatment.

I have literally saved enough to buy an expensive car with with the money I saved by avoiding the dentists at all costs, and minimising the use of dental products.

Guess what?

..... My teeth are still just about as good as they were thirty years ago, just before a couple of them were treated to an expensive pair of plastic veneers.

24 years

I haven't been to a dentist since I was 16 or so. I'm 25 now. Freaks me out for some reason, though I know I really should go for a checkup.

Sounds like you had a shit dentist.

>We evolved quite well, for hundreds of thousands of years, without dentists, without toothpaste, without flossing, without fillings, without braces, without dentures, and without expensive dental treatment.

And without refined sugar products or modern food. Biology can't look after our teeth with a modern diet, user, you gotta take some efforts to maintain them unless you're eating a very strict low sugar, low carb diet. Not saying your teeth are bad, but a majority of people doing as you do would not end up with 'My teeth are still just about as good as they were thirty years ago'

nice copypasta from some old person who is no doubt toothless

yes resin composites are "plastic"...dentists are like mechanics if you get suckered it's because *you* are an idiot

hundreds of thousands of years without dentists with life expectancy of 35, teeth wearing halfway down to nothing by that age, and no processed sugar in existence.

I got a gel smeared on my gums (tastes bad) makes my gums numb and I don't feel a singe thing.

4 years, when i got a tooth pulled

+1 Good boy points for you user!

over 10 years

i brush daily and i just started flossing regularly a couple of years ago. i also dont normally eat sugary shit and soda

3 weeks ago.
20 and have cavities in every molar including wisdom teeth
need 5 teeth pulled but putting it off as i dont want dentures

>doesn't want dentures
>risks decay causing life threatening abscesses instead
Are 4 of those five teeth wisdom teeth? If so you really won't need dentures, they don't do anything for you anyway.

I went last week.

most of the teeth have had root canals but no crown attached, they want to pull one wisdom tooth and the others are the large molars which would prolly ruin my ability to eat

About 20 years, but I'm a Brit so I'm not due a check up for another 3.

So three out of eight molars, and one wisdom tooth? You can definitely eat with that.

whatever you need done, including implants, you can get done for 1/6 the cost in costa rica. just remember that.

it's cheaper to fly, get the work done, and fly back. not that a person in your position probably has any money.

ill probably get the work done when im not as busy i could imagine the recovery time for so many extractions would suck but thank you

yeah definitely not an option for me, i am in uk so its cheaper but still £3k per implant

1 year and a half

I brush my teeth 3 times a day every day, so I have no pain, but I do need deep cleaning still

if youre in europe you go to like bulgaria for the same thing? lol it sounds ghetto but in these small countries they are just investing a huge amount of money into the dental clinic, you get top rate work. look into going to a foreign country. implants can be done closer to 1k.

How old are you user? Depending on your age, healing and recovery time could vary. It would also be best to have it all done at once so you don't have to keep going back, but if money or time off is a concern you could ask your dentist which tooth he feels is the worst and get that one pulled first.

could be an option after i graduate i guess, ill keep it in mind. ty user

im 20, the dentist isnt that experienced and just wants to pull them and get a partial denture but they could end up causing problems with my front teeth which are all fine

You'll bounce back fine so long as you don't have a lot of health issues. Why do you think having dentures in the back will mess with your front teeth?

kek

a partial denture attatches to your other teeth afaik and knowing my teeth, the front ones wont be that strong and will prolly result in some problems. i will wait a bit and see how things look

About a month. Zero cavities, too.

look up flowable composite restorations.

i have been going crazy researching this stuff lately because i have teeth problems. same person who told you go to bulgaria or whatever (I think there are actually major clinics in Hungary?)

If your teeth have to be pulled they probably have to be pulled no matter what. But teeth can be saved now that were considered lost even 15-20 years ago

Where exactly are the teeth you're supposed to get located? Are they all on the upper or lower arch, or are they all on one side?

every molar minus one on both side and both arches have issues whether it be needing extraction or already having a deep filling

i could look into it all and keep it in mind but none of these options would be available for the next few years which will prolly be too late. good luck to you though bro

Well, if you really want to avoid having dentures and having trouble eating, I'd strongly suggest getting those fillings in at least so you aren't looking at having even more teeth in need of being pulled.

I was too until about a month ago. Really enjoying working, but not as much as I'd always thought. It does give some extra appreciation for spare time, though.

Check up, 4 months or so.

Dental work (filling etc) 4ish years.

I have fucking super teeth. I used to not brush regularly, but the dentist would always say my teeth were completely healthy (especially the back teeth, which he said was rare as usually the front are better maintained)

im just encouraging you to make it a goal to get something done. when you have teeth pulled, you lose the oppositional force against the jawbone, causing your jaw bone to recede

that means in the future if you want to get implants or something, they have to build up your jaw with artificial bone. this probably sounds insane to the average person, but is actually a very clinically insignificant and generally easy procedure to do these days. Dental technology and science are advancing REALLY well, because people are living a long time, and care about their teeth even in old age. So the industry is worth a lot of money.

3 months ago, to pull out a baby tooth and to remove a cubic meter of tartar. But the previous visit was like 12 years ago.

I realised that when the veneers came out.
It was soon after a scandal came to light in which a dentist had been deliberately damaging the enamel or his adult patients, in order to generate lucrative opportunities to charge for fillings at the next check-up.

I thought that it was highly probably that my dentist had been doing the same to me for a number of years,

..... so that's when I decided to stop going routinely for dental check-ups, and would only go again if I knew that I actually needed some treatment.

a very long time
I brush twice a day though

just got back like 10 minutes ago

Never, (ever) use refined sugar in anything that I prepare for myself: whether to eat or drink.

Carbohydrates, well I either limit them to about 50% of calorific intake ( when I am at my ideal weight - 75kg ; 183cm ; 66y.o. );

..... or reduce them significantly below that, if I have been overdoing it on the alcohol, and put on a few extra kilo.

Almost invariably happy with my teeth, physical condition, metabolic rate and overall fitness.

what were your previous habits?

also I went in some time this year, doctor said my teeth were fine even though I clearly have sleep bruxism. I can even get $500 free dental care and he knows it

3 years because school in Europe requires health check but as I'm out no more walks to that boring place!

5 days

>nice copypasta from some old person who is no doubt toothless

Lissenup arsehole!

..... I composed that at the keyboard as an authentic statement of my personal experiences over a significant period of my lifetime.

If you think that was a "... copypasta ...", I challenge you to use the resources of google, or whatever search engines you care top use instead,

..... and find anything like it that was posted before i composed it at around 14:35 UTC today [ 15 Sep. 2017 ]

I guarantee you, cannot do it.

16 years. My teeth has been unchecked long enough to have a drivers license

is
> fancy - and very expensive - uv heat gun or whatever

Lol it's literally just a blue light mate

3 years. I had a high fever as a baby and about 15 to 20 teeth developed brittle and defective. Insurance won't pay to fix them so I have to make due. Stopped getting cavities after I stopped eating sweets though. Still drink sweets but without the devouring of sugar via mastication no more cavities. The smoking put some slight cavity marks on my teeth but their not real cavities they're more like browned worn down areas of tooth. Like instead of a hole in your wall you have the paint chipping. Dentist always said floss but after reading about the WHOs action against the studies I stopped even trying to floss. My teeth are so jammed the floss breaks off in between my teeth. Then I have to floss out the floss that got stuck while flossing. Weirdly enough my teeth aren't the full problem. I have weird hard bumps on the back of my tongue and my cheeks have chemical burns from most toothpastes. For some reason anything other than arm and hammer gives me bleeding cheeks. Oh and both my lower inscisors are completely verticle instead of straight. Also I my wisdom teeth are in but completely sideways but with no pain. The botched root canal that got retreated still can't be fixed right so at some point my face will bloat to the size of a beach ball and it'll be the ICU for me for some major major major surgery to remove the botched root canal. They won't pay for it now because "it's not necessary". But that just means they don't want to pay. They've done it about a dozen times now when you have enough bills that they lose money off you they say "it's not necessary" to get out of paying

Tell me about it!

..... if you'd been listening to the dental charlatan that explained the "state-of-the-art", cutting edge "technology" to me,

..... even you would have thought it had been invented by NASA to be sure that Buzz Aldrin's teeth wouldn't fall out before he got back from the moon.

1 day. Just finished wearing retainers, only need them at night.

Make sure u wear them every night for the rest of your life, ur teeth will drift otherwise

Post ur teeth pls

3 weeks. Got started two root canals, another appointmet is in fall.
Tbh I'm starting to devlop some weird masochistic fetish for that. My dentist and her nurse are super hot.

No way dude,

..... I know you will criticise them - because they look like a typical English 35 year old's teeth after they have been hacked at in a typically Medieval English Dentist's torture chamber.

However, I like them the way they are, considering the alternatives available to me.

About 25-30 years.