For starters, look...

For starters, look, im not here to discuss social stigma about racism or whatever you folks like to talk about these days.

I aint american either, which might be in part due to the fact i find it a bit strange to talk about this. Still, lets move onward.

Right, so, even after the days of african americans being all funky ass motherfuckers doing that jazz and blues before white people thought it was cool, before the abolishment of the John Crow laws, it was some serious 'optimist' jam they had.

When they were abolished, some 20 years later, the whole hiphop scene came into the big picture. Sure thing, things such as the 'big' names such as 2Pac and Biggy came, but we had some before. But generally, that level of hiphop was pretty optimistic. Think about A Tribe Called Quest, Jurassic 5, Big Daddy Kane, hell, you call it, it was full of it.

The overall optimist message was very prevalent, even with the naysayers, but even then, the big shots in 'gangsta' hiphop those days were pretty.... Kinda chill, and were very 'human'. Mostly relying on their emotional train of thought to give the negative an influence, not one of pessimism, but one of asking for change.

It could be me. It could be that i've been scratching the surface of the wrong places and living under a rock, but goddamn, isn't hiphop fucking depressing these days? It's either the tough ass folks trying to act tough, as if they were of steel and iron, no humanity. The others (pic related) are depressed, while carrying the 'human' part and talent, all carry the ideal of self-destruction.

Sup Forums, i'm asking you, is it just me, or do you disagree? Is black hip-hop really that awful these days, not just in the music, but also the sense of the word?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rdciOXroU9o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No

they're all raised by single moms nowadays so they've gotten all depressed and bitter and resentful

Hell FUCKING no.

Maybe i said my last sentence a bit wrong. All i'm saying it's that it's depressing as hell. Awful rather meaning the background it came out of, none of the racial bigotry in it. Rather the fact it just sounds so damn depressing.

Fuck, i know im drunk right now and thus have some serious issues in vocabulary, but at least try to make my point here. No fucking political ideologies here. If it were, i wouldn't have posted on Sup Forums.

hip hop is in a renaissance period right now, and that means shit is changing about the genre

whether you like it or not is a different argument altogether but there are definitely heaps of hip hop artists who dont fit into either of the boxes youre lumping them all into

shit man I literally just posted but I may have misinterpreted you

for what its worth, im drunk too, and I can see what youre saying actually

Rap is definitely going through an emo phase right now but there are a few upbeat guys out there. Examples would be trap hedonists like Yachty/Dex, ironic funny rappers like Kyle/Lil Dicky and old school party gangster rappers like YG.

I mostly agree, except not about the gangsta types being "chill", especially before the mid 90s. Your NWAs, Dr Dres, etc were fucking nasty as shit and just used the concept of social change as a cop-out to avoid taking actual responsibility for their actions. Their modern equivalents still talk the same shit but don't just blame it on the cops.

Hell, even Tupac, Biggie and the like later now that I think about it. Pac did have somewhat of a brain though so I'll give him that

Music is depressing because life is misery. Music is optimistic because people want to escape from the misery briefly. Both of these statements are currently true and have always been true. Step back and stop trying to apply a narrow filter to one tiny facet of the medium when both it and its opposite apply to every facet.

Do you really think The BLUES are a happy optimistic genre? You're an idiot.

Glad to know you read it and it reflected my views in a better manner.

Renaissance? Maybe. But it's a fucking dark, cold renaissance if it even is one at all.

Exactly my point. Especially in that regard, biggie was a cold motherfucker. But if they didn't make a point, i wouldn't have mentioned them. Especially Pac, yeah. But he wasn't the only one.

Point being, the part what made that social protest they advocated was pretty sensible, but it seems like a far cry from what it does today - most of the time anyway.

>Renaissance? Maybe. But it's a fucking dark, cold renaissance if it even is one at all.
sounds like you found yourself in le wrong generation
go listen to chance the rapper or something you loser

I ain't saying there isn't any good stuff out there, music wise. Rather the overall attitude is just depressing.

But if you think that makes me a loser to find that somewhat concerning, i'm hardly sure if that makes me a loser while i'm actually giving a fucking damn about other people, even if i dont know them.

Yeah, having sympathy makes me a loser doesn't it?

this isnt really in relation to your point at all but I really appreciate how reasonable and open to debate you seem in comparison to most people on this board

Thanks user, i appreciate that.

I'll give 'em a look, thanks for the suggestion.

What's wrong with making depressing music? If they're not okay, all the optimistic music they would be making would not feel genuine to them.

kendrick is ass

I feel you man. It's why i posted Danny Brown there. I think he's really good at what he does, fucking love his stuff.

But it's a trend - not an exception. It's ALL fucking depressing. I have plenty to share about mental and psychological shit in my life, but this is not about me. It just concerns me that this negativity is so extremely common among musicians and i never hear anyone say the same. Negative feedback feeds more negative feedback, and i honestly think we're reaching that apex.

Negative emotions are a part of life, but they should never be the dominant factor, for it will lead to worse. Why should the music we listen to be any different?

Man, shouldn't this shit be a release instead of ever frightening us towards the idea that all is just depressing and lost?

You need to listen to more music if you think only recently people have made depressing songs

That's because hip hop became corporatized, and about money rather than craft and artistry. Story-telling rappers are long gone, unless propped up by huge labels (Kendrick), lowest common denominator music (J Cole), or political connections and faux "positivity" (Chance).

Danny's career has many song topics, all of which contain stories, exaggerated or not, from his life and his persona, to illustrate a higher theme. Danny isn't negative to me, he's a silver lining type of guy, at least to me. His stuff may be bleak, but I think there's always a glimmer of hope there. It's why he's so lovable. He's a human in a fake era.

Future illustrates some pain, but he comes from that Wayne school of thought, where they avoid really touching on higher issues, pretty much at all. He's like Danny-lite when it comes to drugs. "Drugs can be bad, sometimes...I guess...". Drake is a big star and he's rather human seeming, even if it is contrived. His stuff deals with his supposed relationship issues.

I think that part of the problem is hip hop was taken from the poor. Poor people are actually happier and more optimistic than most of us. Something inherent in the poor black struggle is that "soul" that ineffable feeling it gives off. Scarface made music that highlighted that I think. That is missing in a lot of today's hip hop.

It's becoming like metal, which I think is canned. No one is THAT angry. Life is about the movement of different emotions.

>Not feel genuine
Please. Like any of today's rappers are "genuine". Most of it is pure marketing for image.

That's not what he said at all lmao why are there always people like this in these threads

The thing that happened to hip hop is that it was gentrified. Became middle class, being an arty fartsy sad boy wearing tight jeans. Not a lower class gangsta in baggy pants who was going to Get Rich or Die Tryin'.
Another thing is that its been fully absorbed into top 40 pop music. And as we all know, i mean as non idiots know. Pop music is always the most complete garbage music on the planet.
The same thing is happening to rap what happened to rock, its going to lose its edge and become whiny fag boy music (drake, xxxtension)

EDM is clearly the new sex, drugs, and party music

Seems like the EDM bubble is gonna burst tbhfam

They keep saying that but it never happens
you can google the word EDM bubble and find articles from like 2013

It just hit mainstream like fully in the past couple years, normies will grow tired and need a new trend to follow, same with trap. I expect the hype to die down soon, kinda seems like it already is. Unless it's about to be the capeshit of music

edm will be blaring in the background while instgram thots do lines of coke in the club bathroom and you are at home listening to xxxtension whine about how edgy he is

Quit asking for change, BE the change!

Black music was never good. You talk about two low IQ failed gangsters who could not sing so they talked over a soundtrack.

The girls I know who are really into EDM are heavy drug users who have a myriad of issues and aren't very attractive, so I'm not exactly bummed out. I don't like XXXtoretellini though.

Soul, Doo wop and Jazz fucking rule.

things done changed
youtube.com/watch?v=rdciOXroU9o

here's what it is
it's not that the artists changed or the mindset of hip hop changed, it's that the audience changed.

there's more sensitive kids out there interested in rappers being dark and emotional than there ever were before, so now that's what sells

they're already doing that

No they dont. And being vulgar about it does not make your point more valid you imbecile.