Redpill me on climate change Sup Forums

Redpill me on climate change Sup Forums
Is it manmade? Or is it a bunch of baloney.
If not, how fucked are we?

Other urls found in this thread:

geology.com/sea-level-rise/
sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160412211610.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

try this OP, put a plastic bag over your head, then tell me that too much CO2 isnt harmful to humans.

The polar ice caps have grown in the past decade. Climate change is a myth

Friend of mine works for CSIRO doing statistical modeling for agricultural sustainability. We're fucked, but because it's all just a big feedback loop, scientists can't predict how quickly it'll all accelerate. Could be 100 yeats. Could be 20.

But we are definitely fucked.

It isn't the co2 that's killing you. It's the depleting oxygen.

Academic here.

When people say, "red pill me on X", they really mean "post some contrarian information with some sources that are badly carried out experimentation and hasn't been published in a reputable science journal". So...sure. Climate change is a meme.

But if you wanted a real, academic answer, here's the run down:

We're not working to save the planet any more. We're working on how to mitigate the damages that will come forth. Particularly the logistical nightmare of supporting migrations in land while undergoing food and water shortages.

On second thought, maybe it's better to think climate change is a meme.

That is beyond retarded.

Still mad that you overplayed your hand, and held a giant convention, celebrating all the tax money you were going to demand from the entire world, in payment for absolutely nothing?

If climate change is anthropogenic, what caused the temperature to rise during the middle ages? Was it Charlemagne's SUV?

Climate change is real. It's been happening since the earth was formed and will continue happening for a long time. The great oxygenation event drove many species to extinction. However, no one is trying to punish cyanobacteria by imposing extra taxes and red tape.

>save the planet
>implying the planet needs saving and won't survive no matter what we do.

also
>Academic here

wow ur so smart dood

There was a huge volcanic eruption in the 1800's for the first time in 200 years or something you were able to skate on the River Thames again. It's funny how during the industrial revolution it was cool enough but in the 1600's and 1700's it was too warm to skate on it just like today.

Climate change is real, we are at the mercy of nature and it changes all the time, affecting everything. Idk how big of an effect we have on it. But when folks on the left talk about it they seem so self-important that it grosses me out.

>statistical modeling
>science
choose one.

Modelling has two L's in it moron

both are correct you spazz

I'm still blown away by the amount of people who believe it.

Yes, pollution is harmful. Yes, we should conserve our environment.

No we still don't put out enough CO2 to significantly affect the atmosphere. CO2 is not even a good greenhouse gas, water vapour is.

There was a massive volcanic eruption that happened a year or two ago near England and kept enought planes out of the air for a while. The CO2 released by that volcano was around several equivalent years of global human pollution.

And there were no localized effects/intense weather patterns in the area.

You're wrong though

Nice script shill

Hey OP I've done some research on this and have come up with some answers.
>Is climate change true
According to 90% of scientists, but there's no way to know if even the scientists are correct or telling the truth.
>Is the world getting wamer?
Yes according to charts the world is getting warmer, but these charts like the microsopic one in the image show the world cools and heats up drastically over periods of thousands of years in cycles.
>Also
In the 70's it was believed the world was going through global cooling. And Al Gore, perhaps the biggest and most famous believer in climate change, made millions of investments he made in alternative energy from talking about global warming.
>All in all
Who fuckin knows
>Does it really matter?
Nah world's gonna die someday anyway

im not though modelling

I dunno m8. "We're fucked and I can explain why" is just a classic drinking conversational piece that people whip out to sound like they know about shit.

Humans have an effect on climate change.

However, it is not nearly as substantial as natural effects.

Thanks you proved me right

the planet naturally cools and warms by itself.

however

human actions have rapidly accelerated this phase of warming up

heres another

They were common until the early 20th century why the change?

It's certainly real, but like with all things pushed by the government also largely blown completely out of proportion to make a buck.

Post reasons for supporting climate change

geology.com/sea-level-rise/

>Blah blah blah climate change blah blah
>No one cares about heavy metals in food
>No one cares about Estrogen in the water
>No one cares about Black carbon and Ozone which endangers millions of Americans
>No one cares about the Shrinking water supply
>No one cares about the numerous chemicals infesting every corner of our diets, environments, and homes

Climate change is hoaxy bullshit used to distract the masses from the fact that their proximity to a major highway gave them brain damage.

i honestly dont know, my guess is the stressing of the L

>Is it manmade?
No, but it might be accelerated by us. Though the CO2 hype is laughable, methane and water vapor are a hundred times more efficient green house gases and no one gives a single shit about those.
Instead we are harassing our companies with stricter and stricter regulations till they just say "fuck it", move to some 3rd world shithole and let their fabrics run without any kind of filters or waste disposal at all.

Generally it is a good idea to start investing into renewable energies, since fossil fuels won't last forever (though I'm pretty sure we have longer than they predict because according to them we'll always run dry "within the next decade!" and it never happens) and partial independence from shitholes like Saudi Arabia would be nice.

not really. the hardcore left blow it out of proportion that it's a threat to mankind's existence because they're as retarded as climate change deniers. It's a geopolitical threat. It's destabilizing countries in the middle east right now with extended droughts and countries might start bickering over arable land and fresh water reservoirs. It risks conflict, not global annihilation. It's also a threat to nature as the ocean continues to acidify and once all the microorganisms start dying in the ocean from that then it will be a chain reaction leading to a mass extinction in the ocean.

We live in a period of unprecedented global climate stability in comparison with the rest of the history of the earth.

The climate change agenda is just another power grab scheme that's trying to scare people into surrendering their liberties.

>According to 90% of scientists, but there's no way to know if even the scientists are correct or telling the truth.
that's the point.
1.) when they say scientists, they actually mean "climate scientists" don't they. isn't saying climate change exists in their very own interest?
"hey guys, climate change is absolutely not man-made and a bunch of bullocks. now give me more money for further research on this topic, please?" is something you won't here any "climate" scientist utter.

2.) 90%, 95%, 99% or however many agree argument:
there was a time when 90% of scientists agreed, that earth was flat, we only had 4 elements and it was worth funding research on how to turn lead into gold ....

Yeah, what happened to peak oil and the collapse? A few years ago that was all you'd hear about all day and now it's just not an issue anymore.

Imagine this:
>Year is 2020
>Trump has untacoed and unniggered USA
>Marine Le Pen, Frauke Petry and Farage is ruling in each corner of Europe
>Fleets are patrolling the mediterranean
>Global warming is fucking the 3rd world up massively. Drougth, floodings etc. is everyday life
>When all the subhumans have been eradicated Majestic Europeans, americans and stralians colonize the world.

Also beautiful walls

>According to 90% of scientists
As someone actually working in science, I can tell you that this number comes mostly from the introductory part of the paper where you state your motivation.
Everyone of them tells some shit about climate change and yadda yadda to justify why they are doing it, because guess what, if they said it is all nonsense and doesn't happen why should anyone continue to finance their studies?
The introductory part is also very often not really related to the research at all. My papers almost all talk about electrochemical coating yet I have never done anything that is more than just vaguely related to that topic. It's just that it is a topic of general interest so you can easily use it as justification.

It isn't a huge problem, consider it, try not to be wasteful or pollute the planet anymore than necessary, but invest the majority of your time worrying about something that actually matters, like Muslims taking over Europa.

Peak oil was always pushed by oil companies to inflate oil prices. It stopped working when fracking started and companies literally ran out of storage space and couldn't get rid of it fast enough

No they haven't, fucktard. Take any month and measure the average and it will prove you wrong.

Pretty much this. Generally giving a shit about your environment is a good idea because no one wants to live in China 2.0

But there's a point at which you should really ask yourself if it is worth it to keep investing your time into this one single topic (carbon dioxide in this case) for a negligible improvement if you have far more pressing issues. What we are doing right now is polishing a single tile in the bathroom while the rest is still covered in feces.

Stupid faggot shut the fuck up my fist is gonna grow three feet into your asshole

basically in the world of science opinions or how many "scientists" agree with you is worth crap.
proof is the only thing that matters ...
but i bet 90% of feminist scientists would agree that proof is an invention of the patriarcy.

also saw afd petry discuss climate change with some school kids video:
seems like co2 is less solvable in water, the warmer it gets.
so the theory is
>earth gets warmer.
>co2 solved in ocean water gets released.
>you notice an increased co2 in atmosphere
sounds reasonable enough to a "non-scientist" like me

I did renewable energy research for the DOE in grad school and collaborated with scientists from national labs. It was disgusting how the senior scientists from the national lab would talk about their funding getting cut if they solved the problem.

I work in oil and gas now, senpai.

>polar bears were supposed to be extinct by now
>the Arctic ice cap was supposed to be gone by now
>global warming started making everything colder, so they renamed it to climate change and pretended it was supposed to happen
>the 97% number was created by an intellectually dishonest study that was meant to provide a a pro-AGW talking point

>Ice caps are melting

where are the biblical floods that we were promised?

Yeah, the solubility of CO2 in water decreases when it gets warmed up.

There were also some fuck ups with ice nucleus measurements IIRC where they supposedly shifted the temperature change by a few years, indicating that it was temperature following CO2 rather than the other way around, but this has been denied and confirmed so many times by now that I don't know which one is the truth anymore.

Naive question time:
No matter if climate change is real, man-made or not ... what would the ACTUAL consequences of global temperatures rising a few degree really be?

Canada will become a super power

The biggest consequence of importance is bees.

We really need bees.

>AFL!

Potential consequences are floods, droughts, crop failure and so on.

So, shit that would annoy the West but isn't really a existential threat to us since we can deal with it in some way, but the shitholes of this world might have a slight problem.

fuck bees

BUT is a future we need to avoid at all cost

It is simply ludicrous to think that human activity (at it's present tempo) is responsible for climate change.
1. The climate changes quite dramatically on it's own, even before us.
2. The science behind it is highly suspect, because it is viewed like a religion and questioning it is forbidden. Also the money involved eliminates any objectivity.
3. co2 exists separately of o2 in the atmosphere, so the air can be densely saturated with co2 and not affect animal life.
4. Heat and co2 are what plants crave, so global warning would enhance harvests and help feed the starving masses
5. The instruments used to measure temperature in the past were not accurate enough to register the changes that are being claimed. The proposed narrative is based on cherrypicked measurements and is not a true average.

North Africa would become far more moist and the Sahara would start growing plant life
northern Canada and Siberia would be viable for human life
low land areas might get flooded

How?

Oy vey, you racists, we need to stop climate change to save all the future Africans.

What's wrong with a world where every Canadian can live it up like rich Saudis? Imagine a million Canadians holidays in Germany

>fuck bees

no

pollination is very very important

Bees die due to pesticide overuse, not climate change

>3. co2 exists separately of o2 in the atmosphere, so the air can be densely saturated with co2 and not affect animal life.

That's not true. Your lungs work with certain equilibrium conditions, if you drastically increase the CO2 concentration in the air you will have problems expelling the CO2 from your body, which also means your erythrocytes can't take up any new oxygen since they are still occupied.

It's why divers can't just pump the air they breathe out into the bottle again to use the left over oxygen later, they need an additional CO2 filter in between.

Manbearpig is an allegory for climate change right?

>Potential consequences are floods, droughts, crop failure and so on.
maybe droughts in summer ... but wouldn't that be cancled out a bit by winter becoming a bit warmer and crops growing a bit better/longer then?
like said:
>4. Heat and co2 are what plants crave, so global warning would enhance harvests and help feed the starving masses

doesn't sound so bad. also you can always move out of lowland (unless you are tied down by mortages of course ... but thats a different topic)

>Imagine a million Canadians holidays in Germany
>a million
no ... this has to stop

I don't understand how climate change is considered a scientific fact.

I mean, how can they test and observe that humans are causing the weather to change, in a way that it would not have otherwise? Isn't that what science means?

90% natural, 10% manmade. It doesn't really matter though, society and civilization will collapse within the next hundred years, all the shitkins will die, and Earth will heal itself, with time.

Your women are gonna get LEAFED
Every bar you go to will have molson Canadian, labatts blue and Canada Dry ginger ale and of course a nice poutine. Prepare for it Germany

Climate change is real. The climate changed before man and the climate will change after man. Al gore cannot stop the climate from changing no matter how much money you give him. The real question is, do you want to pay more on energy now because of how the climate may or may not be 100 years from now? Why not just repent and have faith that Jesus will come back and save us all?

It's real and we're fucked.

And the scary thing is, climate doesn't have to change much. Just enough to fuck with our food supply. The rest of the carnage will be inflicted to each other.

>I don't understand how climate change is considered a scientific fact.
it gives politicians an excuse to control people so they force through anything that supports it and denounce anyone that speaks out against it

Man made climate change is just another way for insiders to screw you. Pure money making scheme.
No one with a basic high-school science education believes it.

Obviously the fucking climate changes. You think the climate was always like this?

>1
Yes, but we are currently in an interglacial maximum. This is a period of gentle warming followed by slow encroachement of glaciers and another ice age.
>2.
It's suspicious how these climate models have all suddenly "converged" on a single result when in the 1990s it was 50/50 whether recent warming was even measureable, i'll grant you that.
>3
Not quite. CO2 levels around the time of the dinosaurs would kill most modern mammals. We can survive up to about 0.5% CO2.
>4
Increased CO2 content in the oceans would decimate current fish stocks as corals would be unable to grow. Heat and CO2 are secondary to availability of water for crop growth - increased heating means increased desert bands near the equator.
>5
>what is an ice core
We can reliably tell what the extent of polar ice was up to about 30k years ago due to carbon dating and entrapped gas measurements. Global temperature, not so much.

The thing I most hate about the global warming meme is the immediate push to regulate all energy expenditure with "carbon tax". Implemented globally, this just hobbles developed economies while shit-tier farmers in central America and India strip landscape bare and cause even worse floods due to the lack of trees and clearing of rainforest for arable pasture.

>50cm sea level rise in 50 years
Wow, it's fucking nothing
>Arctic ice disappearing
Wow, it's fucking nothing
>Middle east becoming uninhabitable
Good.

this. it's a shame we can't do anything to prevent it.

Regional weather=/=global climate
>I don't know how to distinguish climate differences from millions of years ago (over millions of years) to now (the recession of a 800 000 year low temp to high temp peak followed by unprecedented warming directly correlated with GHG's)
The planet will survive a nuclear holocaust you moron, but we won't and that's what matters
Stop politicizing this, faggots on the far left are just as bad as faggots on the right, they will embellish, and refuse to listen to the other side out of fear of destroying their narrative
Post citations fucker

>Middle east becoming uninhabitable
>Good.
Yeah, the Muslim relocation program is going well in your country, I hear.

Temperature is rising at insignificant rates (less than 1 degree over 30+ years), storms and things like that seem more common because of globalization and the internet so things are broad-casted everywhere. The climate is slightly changing but being blown out of proportion

Actually you should become ecologist. Because if the question is internationnal, the best answer is local.
It means producing all we can in near areas, eating what the four seasons give you and fucking stop to move all around the glob (such as immigrants). It will lead to a more traditional way of life, and stopping the shitskins to come.

I like how it's convenient for you to accept scientific consensus on most things like biology, physics, math, but when it comes to climate science all of a sudden it turns into some interpretable grey area for you? Fuck off cletus, what the fuck do you know
One paper talked about global cooling and the media blew it out of proportion cause of sensationalist reporting, shocking. And the world has gone through temultuous fluctuations of tempurature, but the steady rise and fall of temps over the last 800000 years is cause for concern when we're supposed to be receding into an ice age and are increasing to co2 levels unseen in 80000 years, play devils advocate for once in your pathetic life and do some research you stupid cunt

>I like how it's convenient for you to accept scientific consensus on most things like biology, physics, math, but when it comes to climate science all of a sudden it turns into some interpretable grey area for you?
there is no consensus. The supposed consensus is the product of IRL Aussie shitposting. They had an analysis of all papers about global warming, then only looked at the ones that had a view of the cause, which is only 34% of all the papers they looked at

He's right though. Co2 isn't deadly to humans, it's the depleting oxygen that's a danger.

>I mean, how can they test and observe that humans are causing the weather to change, in a way that it would not have otherwise? Isn't that what science means?
It's called field research and gathering historical physical evidence.

balony

The real issue of climate change is in politicians and celebrities abdicating their epistemic responsibility to galvanize voters and revive moribund careers (fuck you, Bill Nye)

There's a consensus on the consensus, a paper outlines 7 different papers saying the majority of climatologists say AGW is real

ManBearPig = Man-Made Climate Change

Al Gore knows it's not real and has been trolling the world for years. He also wants to make billions down the road on carbon tax credit scheme he, Soros, and Stayer want to enact.

>it's the depleting oxygen that's a danger
You're making us all look bad, champ.

dumbest comment I've seen on here in some time

Yes they do care, flint michigan, the ozone layer (which is slowly getting better thanks to banning cfc's), there's multiple issues and we're working on all of them,l. Just because you can't focus on more than one doesn't mean the global collective isn't working to fix them
People are concerned about other GHG's, methane is a serious problem due to fracking and agriculture
>muh unquantifiable conzpiracy
>Doctor tells you you'll die of butt cancer in 6 weeks
>You're alive after 6 weeks but your hair is falling out and your muscles have deteriorated to the point of an auschwitz atendee
>THE PREDICTIONS DIDN'T COME TRUE Moron

A literature review that appeared in a 2008 issue of Environment & Energy reported that 31 (6%) of 591 scientific papers sampled on “global climate change” between 1993 and 2003 explicitly or implicitly rejected the idea of consensus that more than half of warming over the past 50 years was likely to was likely to have been anthropogenic. Fewer than half endorsed consensus, and only 7 did so so explicitly. This study conducted by Dr. Klaus-Martin Schulte contradicted a heavily publicized review published by Dr. Naomi Oreskes using the same Web of Science database which had reported that 75% of the papers in her sample endorsed the consensus.

If climate change is our doing - scientists and pop-scientists are doing an absolutely awful job of convincing the public.

scientists do not have to reach a consensus - its either true or it isnt. "95% of scientists believe" is not fucking science. I can definitely see why people are sceptical of man made climate change.

It definitely feels like a cult more than it feels like science atm.

>methane is a serious problem due to fracking and agriculture
Fracing isn't a significant source. Cow farts are the the significant source. If you have a problem with that, tell us who you'll kill to reduce it.

"What's important is that this is not just one study -- it's the consensus of multiple studies," Green says. This consistency across studies contrasts with the language used by climate change doubters. This perspective stems from, as the authors write, "conflating the opinions of non-experts with experts and assuming that lack of affirmation equals dissent."

sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160412211610.htm

If you buy into the Man Made Global Climate crap, you are literally a mongoloid and should be gassed for the sake of the species.

why would the fact that the vast majority of experts agree on a topic not be a good argument for non-experts like ourselves to accept it.
That's the reasoning most people have on every other topic in science

>When people say, "red pill me on X", they really mean "post some contrarian information with some sources that are badly carried out experimentation and hasn't been published in a reputable science journal". So...sure. Climate change is a meme.