What is the secret to being patrician, Sup Forums?

What is the secret to being patrician, Sup Forums?

not giving a shit about what Sup Forums, or anyone for that matter, thinks about your taste

Listening to albums if they interest you regardless of their genre and being able to defend your opinions on records while sparking interesting discussion about them. Also taking other opinions as separate perspectives to consider instead of adopting them because you can't make up your own damn mind.

quality answer honestly

listening beyond the canon, essentials, flowcharts that are spoonfed to you

Listening to Grimes, the only patrician artist of the 2010s.

fpbp

Fuck off obscurefag

Correct

this

only true answer in this thread

Buttplugs and gaping yourself

>thinking straying from mucore means listening strictly to obscurities
>thinking mucore encompasses all popular music

maybe you're the problem

/thread

Listening to almost every genre of music. Traditional folk, western classical, jazz, soul, r&b, funk, disco, rock, house, techno, breaks, free improvisation, field recordings, tape music, noise, etc.

Wrong

Correct

So you should care about what others think about your taste? Explain.

No thats a contrarian buddy

the secret to being patrician is to go to /chart/ threads and realize that 70% of the people here have fucking garbo taste.
you'll constantly see people spam threads with entry level shit like mac demarco, unironically praise butt-rock like alice in chains, and monotonous meme rap and trap, as well as acting like NIN is a good band and trent a better songwriter than his contemporaries.
Sup Forums was never completely perfect, but 2010-2013 was the most enjoyable time before faggots from other places started flooding in.
>inb4 "hurr reddit boogeyman"
you can't deny the quality of this board and Sup Forums in general, has decreased as reddit started getting more and more popular and weirdly having some type of crossover appeal to here.

>the secret to being patrician is realizing that Sup Forums has shit taste
So then most of Sup Forums is patrician?

t. I treat music like crossing off a sterile joyless checklist

First it's that patrician is a misused term. After that I suppose greater knowledge but not necessarily in the things that seem obvious.

I don't give a shit about being patrician I just like what I like. My taste ranges from mainstream stuff to super underground stuff. It doesn't matter what it is. If it's good I'll fuck with it.
Music shouldnt be a fashion statement

eat breakfast and don't stay up too late

Taste in music is irrelevant. All you have to do is believe you're better than everyone else and poof - you're patrician.

being able to find unpopular music that you genuinely enjoy
any music that isnt recommended or praised by any forum or site
until then you can never be sure that your taste isn't 100% informed and determined by others

not listening to music made by or appreciated by niggers

be ashamed for listen to a song for the first time in a movie or videogame.

This is literally what niggers do.
Stop spreading this "be yourself" trash advice in all of its variants, haven't the /fit/ memes taught you better by now.

Being insecure enough to actually believe in Sup Forums's idea of this purely memetic dichotomy is the first step to being stupid enough to aim for the meaningless status of "patrician".

Study musical aesthetics and the development of western music from Gregorian chants to present-day electroboops. Work towards being able to integrate an understanding of your personal preferences in music with the music-theoretical concepts that bring them to fruition; that is, know what you like AND why you like on both an aesthetic and theoretical level.

never stop looking
also this
but not this

Call yourself patrician.

play music and know your history

nigger music is better than whatever the fuck you got. I'd rather listen to some nice P funk or whatever than retarded ass screeching metal or some vaporwave bullshit