How is your relationship with your family Sup Forums...

How is your relationship with your family Sup Forums? Some threads on this board have been pretty dark and even though I would participate on some before, I see most of my interest fading away as I spend time away from my family.

My family is pretty weird.
My older brother killed himself last thanksgiving, left 3 kids to his ex wife.
My dad just got outta prison for CP, shortly before getting in the clink, he tried committing suicide, but failed.

I'm pretty ordinary, kept outta trouble for quite a while, have a wife and kid.

My dad is a great guy, although he might have inklings of a drinking problem. My mom is a saint. In high school/college, my dad was sort of a jock while my mom was more of a hippie/science nerd. My brother is a cool dude, sometimes he does shit that pisses me off but whatever man he's my brother. Good guy.

Sorry to hear that bc my dad was the same way and maybe even worse, too bad because he had a great personality. must have been pretty nice to have a big bro, I have a big sister but at least she's cool.

Do you still live with them or even talk to them anymore?

No, Last time i saw my other bro was about 6 months before he hung it up. He had broken up with a girl, came back home, and was trying to figure out what to do with his life. I bought a motorcycle from him to give him some cash and encouraged him to look for work in my town. I said my wife could babysit his kids if he needed.
He ended up moving back in with the girl, and on thanksgiving day hung it up.

My dad isn't allowed at my house because i have a 6yr old boy and he's a newly released offender.

I talked to my little brother for the first time in over a year yesterday, he called me about a video card for a computer he was putting together for his kids. We didn't discuss anything else. He lives about 2 hours away, I haven't seen him in about 2 years.

I have 2 sisters, one who lives in the same town as my parents, one who lives an hour and a half away. We talked a lot when my dad was in prison regarding taking care of our mom, but after he got out, we all stopped talking about it.

Yeah my mom has threatened to leave my dad due to his drinking a couple times (fair enough), and hes cleaned up. I think they are really in love. Other than that, family life is petty good,

Parents stole around 30k grand total from me and they're flipping shit about my dad paying my old boss $40. That I never even asked them to pay. So they're making the drive of 1 and a half hours tomorrow to bring me my check that got mailed to their house from my old job. Instead of mailing it like normal people. My sister and I used to be close but we kinda drifted. Little brother is literally autistic and the faggiest prick I've had the displeasure of meeting. He was basically raised to think he can hit/cuss out anyone he wants with no repercussions. Been to therapy a few times but it's all just a load of "how does that make you feel?" Bullshit. They got my kid taken away from me too over some bullshit because I quit my job and moved as far away from those psychopaths as I possibly could afford. Mom made up a whole line of shit, judge ate it up like it was the last fucking bowl of rice crispies the world will ever have.

It's alright.

My parents both worked through my childhood, and my brother was 7 years older than me so he moved out by the time I graduated elementary school. So I was kind of a latchkey kid to a fairly conservative, well-off family.

My mom's a lot closer to me now that she's retired, and when I come to visit them I'll have long conversations with him I never had before because we'll just relax and have a few drinks.

Brother's more moody and artsy, but he mellowed out after growing up a bit. Kinda feel like a dick saying this, but because of the shit he pulled as a teenager, it set the bar for "good son" pretty low, so I think my parents absolutely loved how low maintenance I was. They still worry what he's gonna do with an english degree they paid tuition for, meanwhile I got scholarships and paid myself through undergrad and grad school in a science field with no debt.

Might be disappointing them soon by being a fag, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Interesting, I am the same way with my family even though we have different issues than yours. My mom was really angry with me growing up thankfully I moved away several months ago. But Great for you man, sticking with your wife and son. How do you deal with some of the trauma from when you were growing up? I want to make sure I am a responsible father and husband.

There is no good answer to that. My life growing up was pretty ordinary. My older bro beat my ass all the time because he wanted to be smarter and tougher than me, but he could only ever manage tougher. My younger bro moved out when he was 16, and my sisters were 9-10 years younger than me, so they were just kids.
When I was in HS, I was arrested in 2nd period study hall my senior year for stat, went to prison for 2.5 years, got out of prison, went to college, got a job, got married, had a kid, bought a house.
You learn to be a good person eventually... sometimes you have to fuck up first...sometimes you fuck up bad.

Yeah I know what you mean, I went to a psychologist to deal with some stuff but only stayed because she was cute since the advice was crap. However I met this counselor that told me to forgive my mom and move out, I didn't want to do it because she was always manipulating me and crap but after I did it it turned out to be pretty solid advice. I apologized for hating her for been a psycho and even though she denied it most of my anger dropped after that.

My dad is a saint. My nimnused to be. She died of cancer when I was 18 and my dad kept me and my brother in school by himself. We're engineer now with great careers and he's happily retired with a new wife.

I'm glad it turned out fine. Tryed to join my mom a few time but failed. I wish she could enjoy all our success with us.

That's interesting, Even though you went to prison and what not you still got married, had kids and bought a house. I am saying that because as a millennial, even though I could be wrong, there's less people thinking about their future.

You had a good father. Where do you work? Right now I am learning hvac and plumbing in Downtown LA.

II don't really have any plans for a future. I'm in my 30s and don't have any savings. I'm still digging out of some IRS debt from a few years I was a private contractor. Sure, I'm buying a house, but its not a nice house. A lot cheaper than an apartment, but a lot more work.

I fix aircraft and my brother builds them. We had the best parents we could ask for. They went above and beyond for us and always made us their priority. I have it good, but i feel like it can hardly be otherwise while standing on the shoulder of giants.

yet you're here... now... posting on Sup Forums... SMH

I mean yeah that's a lot work but at least you are on your way. I'm fairly young but I barely have my car let alone a house so I am looking forward to a lot of work to even get a good job. What industry are you in?

Sorry for the way late reply, personally I haven't had much of an anger problem, glad to hear things worked out for you man. I personally just want to cut ties and just be me. Less stressful without family and if I get into a situation where I become terminal (almost forgot to mention that I recently found out I have cancer, colon cancer but it was caught early so I've got solid chances.) there's practically no one to miss or worry about. Also, my parents would crack jokes about my alcoholism when it was an issue, got myself under control now, really it was my very good friend that helped me get through that. He's the closest thing I have to family in my eyes now and I rarely speak to him. I miss my daughter dearly, but I half think she may be better off with her mother. I work constantly and her mother doesn't work at all. Decently caring, wasn't a few years back though. Went from prostitute for a few pills to clean and trying to further her education. As for my plans on the future, 50%chance of an hero, 25%chance of becoming a hermit and I'll leave the rest of the percents to cancer doing me in and me losing my shit, going off on some fucked up adventure and winding up dead with half a hooker shoved up my ass after snorting my entire life savings.

I'm a software engineer. Been doing it my whole life, started programming at 8. Only thing my dad every taught me. He pulled my first computer out of a dumpster behind a mall. It was an NCR cash register with a 286 processor and a 20mb hdd. He removed the cash drawer, and got a normal keyboard for it. I was 12 at the time
He went to school for CS after he finished a turn at the army and one at the navy, but dropped out when family happened.
I went to college for CS as well, and dropped out after a couple of years because I couldn't find enough time to go to class and go to work and rent ended up being a higher priority. In the early 2000s, for some reason companies loved CS college dropouts, they thought they were smarter or something, I hit the tail end of that, and found work writing VOIP software for a telco.

It's alright.

22. 1 of 6. Parents are both high functioning alchies; 'til they're not.
Ma's a wannabe trophy wife, but works when she has to.
Dad owns/runs his own business. A religious zealot. I help him out. He pays me what he wants when he wants. She gets to piggyback on the business given her credentials and make money when she wants/needs.
They have high expectations of me since I was such a smart kid. Picked up weed at 15-16. Stopped earlier this year 'cause I live with them and they wouldn't stop bitching. Apparently I'm an addict. It was also so I could get a state job, but still. A real pot/kettle situation.
Dropped out of college after first year because it was dumb. It was on this pedestal my whole life and when I got there it was a joke.
Little bro can be cool but also a little shit,
Little sister just joined the Navy. Took the easy path and is finally staring to value the fam.
Older brother caught HIV from a whore, is on a death wish, won't stop with the hard drugs. Now he's schizo.
Older sister got prego at 14. Now Bartends while my nephew stays with the dad.
Oldest brother did a few bids. Has two kids. Finally getting his life on track with a plumbing gig.

I'm just a little lost. I am a smart guy, just have no motivation or drive. But I'm working on it. Planning on going back to school too, to appease the folks and just have the piece of paper that says I did it. Just need to get another job besides the family business first.

Cool way to start. Stats such a bullshit charge if you were close in age.

bump for interest

my brother hates me he always got special treatment from my dad i think its because he was a youngest child like my brother, i would annoy my brother and sometimes get into fights we also had our fair share of good moments between the two of us but he nearly killed me two times after sneaking up behind me both times and i don't remember him getting in trouble for it either time, i don't really get along with him since then he always had anger problems. my parents broke up a while ago they try to give good advice and stuff like that but they really just do their own thing unless i come to them, i guess it could be worse. my parents pretty much ignore me when i call on a random day and i still see my brother as a scumbag delinquent, still sometimes i wonder if at least he would of turned out half decent if the times he nearly killed my would of succeeded.my parents would put me down when they got mad and some of the stuff they said to me when i was a small kid after having long drawn out screaming matches with each other will be burned onto my mind forever like it was yesterday, my parents would fight a ton and it would upset me even more than them this is the reason i avoid new relationships because every good person i find some part of me tells me im not good enough for them even tho im athletic, smarter than the average person in my country,have a very strong sense of honor and i truly like helping people and animals. even if the person and i never have a bad moment for years and years. as time goes on i always feel more and more like i am too nice to people i just started my uni and i just keep to myself and all i know is my ambition for working and perfecting video game skills on one game that i have been dedicated to for 5+ years i could be lonely, but most days i am happy/content with just enjoying the smallest stuff.

6 months beyond the limit. It was a BS charge, but it was a super shitty relationship. It got pressed because she tried to kill herself after we broke up. I was pretty fucked up back then. Prison actually did me good. It did suck losing 2.5 years of my life, and being on the list for 10 years after that, but now I'm not registered and in the state I live currently, after 10 years, no requirements. I still have a felony, but it's 15 years ago, so it wouldn't show up on most background checks.
I can't really remember prison anymore, because it was all the same, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I can only imagine. At least you forgot most of it, and can think of it positively.

im still in my early 20s so the last statement might change, i dont really like uni so i might have to change something