What are some interesting musical ideas that J.S. Bach didn't cover in his oeuvre?

Didn't he kind of... do it all already?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0akGtDPVRxk
youtube.com/watch?v=PSBVCDwV38g
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traité_de_l'harmonie_réduite_à_ses_principes_naturels
youtube.com/watch?v=cA9AXvD09CM
youtube.com/watch?v=5FF_ncSeb8k
youtube.com/watch?v=l9-NOIalUYU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZncEPhWUDsw
youtube.com/watch?v=9fvAAb0R0Rs
youtube.com/watch?v=FQKke_PI1KA
youtube.com/watch?v=gAZQTcw5vC8
youtube.com/watch?v=D5eFk5x0o44
youtube.com/watch?v=q-wGMlSuX_c
youtube.com/watch?v=EWCKKvclb0g
youtube.com/watch?v=HlXDJhLeShg
youtube.com/watch?v=4kTvEveVKg0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well he didn't use a 31-TET organ
youtube.com/watch?v=0akGtDPVRxk

Most things we listen to today, if I had to guess. I'm not big on Bach but I'm pretty sure if you just pick a random song from this year it won't sound like any of his works.

*harpsichord

Yikes... brainlet detected

as far as I know he also didn't sound every note in a scale at once
youtube.com/watch?v=PSBVCDwV38g

Didn't Bach basically invent music theory as it has existed since his time? This would kinda mean that yes, music today is awfully similar to his compositions. Just much simpler.

Well, it won't. Even if you want to argue that he's covered most of the melodic and harmonic ideas in sufficient detail, which I highly doubt, there is a massive amount of merit in instrumentation, arrangement and the modern concept of production. Many, if not most, of the sounds present day music utilizes didn't even exist during his lifetime.

>Most things we listen to today

Oh.... sweetie....

>Even if you want to argue that he's covered most of the melodic and harmonic ideas in sufficient detail, which I highly doubt,
Stopped reading there

no
music started to coalesce from modality into tonality sometime between Renaissance and Baroque eras (before Bach's time) and Rameau was the first person to write a treatise on harmony
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traité_de_l'harmonie_réduite_à_ses_principes_naturels

Actually forget instrumentation, one a whim I googled some sheet music to see if I could find anything interesting rhythmically but I didn't find a single meter that wasn't common or three or a single abnormal tuplet (there was a neat thing that accelerated through triplets and 16ths until hitting 32nds, but that's it). So actually I'm not sure he even explored rhythm that much. Or maybe he did, show me.

The world of sound is a tiny bit bigger than western tonality, whether or not you like it it's still a thing that would be physically impossible for him to fully explore. So actually I'll amend the earlier statement from doubt to certainty.

>The world of sound is a tiny bit bigger than western tonality
Yeah, and which of those are influencing any contemporary popular music?

Polyrythms

Also this

Would his fugues in augmentation and diminution be considered explorations of rhythm?

The guy you're quoting doesn't know anything about music and as such can't answer the question. As far as I can tell, he's committed to the idea that Western art music isn't actually that important. He's also admitted to never actually listening to Bach, so...

Are you under the impression that the entirety of rhythm is guided solely by the time signature in which it is composed? Because that is directly what is implied by your post.

Feel free to post sheet music to anything he ever wrote that sufficiently resembles any of these or at least encompasses all of their elements. I'm going to go take a shower and expect zero examples, which should probably answer your original question.

youtube.com/watch?v=cA9AXvD09CM

youtube.com/watch?v=5FF_ncSeb8k

youtube.com/watch?v=l9-NOIalUYU

youtube.com/watch?v=ZncEPhWUDsw

youtube.com/watch?v=9fvAAb0R0Rs

youtube.com/watch?v=FQKke_PI1KA

youtube.com/watch?v=gAZQTcw5vC8

youtube.com/watch?v=D5eFk5x0o44

youtube.com/watch?v=q-wGMlSuX_c

Well, no, given that I was also talking about tuplets, which isn't related to time signature at all. So you should probably learn to read better. And I know there's even more to it than those two, but those are two very easy to scan for things when you're glancing over the first pages to a bunch of different works and were obviously missing.

distorted guitar
:^)

Which elements? What exactly are you even asking for lol

There's a lot of ideas in medieval and renaissance times that weren't used by Bach.
>extensive drones as the basis for an entire piece (i.e. not a tonic pedal at the finale)
>consecutive fifths
>whatever weird progressions Gesualdo uses
>did Bach even use modality at all? I don't know

probably this

If he knew he wouldn't have made such a retarded thread lmao

Anything really. Pieces of music Bach wrote that sound anything like any of those, which is pretty difficult since he almost certainly never wrote anything like any of those. As expected there was no reply so that's pretty much the end of it.

GG everyone, great thread.

that was a long shower

Our landlord is shady and charges a seemingly arbitrary rate for water rather than by usage, might as well exploit it.

I was going to come in with feedback, dissonance also.

rolling 808 hi hats

>dissonance wasn't the first answer
Fools.
Also, you should be ashamed of using Ringo for a shitposting thread.

I hope you mean emancipated dissonance because Bach wasn't a stranger to minor 2nds
youtube.com/watch?v=EWCKKvclb0g
youtube.com/watch?v=HlXDJhLeShg (1:38, 2:06)
youtube.com/watch?v=4kTvEveVKg0
And that's just the first few that popped into my head. If you look a any of his organ fugues you'll guaranteed get messes of momentary dissonances.